Another Perspective on Miami and Mario

Theres a push for that from some bot members and boosters. Those are the two.

There’s also a group that likes Blake because of his fundraising. If they want Mario they’ll have to can Blake. At least that’s a start.
My response to the second group would be that bringing in someone like Alonzo Highsmith will likely NOT hurt your fundraising efforts. In fact, I would argue that he would be able to bring in donations from sources Blake has no entree to.

I think the real question is does AH want a football focused job only or is he interested in taking on the full scope of AD duties. If it’s the first thing, perhaps he becomes an independent entity with responsibility for ALL of football activities, reporting to the President or BOT and NOT blake James. James can stay and simply carryon with the rest of his responsibilities. It’s a different kind of arrangement but Miami presents a different kind of challenge.

All of these things hinge on what the BOT /Admin decide about the importance of football

Advertisement
With Ray Lewis their in consulting fashion...
Imagine the intimidation factor. One of the reasons I was excited about the Reed hire was the prospect that Ed would teach the guys about how to watch film properly and diagnose things. Wishful thinking I guess as he and ray are just a different breed. Unbelievable manny found a way to ***** that up

Only if he/somebody wants the speculation game to continue.

Again, good for some, bad for others.

Make no mistake however, silence is taking a position.
I disagree. I think as fans of the Canes we want it to mean something. Right now, he’s concentrating on coaching Oregon. He’s been publicly asked about the USC job by a local reporter. He basically ignored the question.

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he’s asked about Miami by a national reporter. Or maybe even another local guy. Let’s see how he handles that.

Advertisement
Time will tell. I agree to disagree

Fans here view this job much more highly than BIG NAME coaches do.

Our inability to recognize true coaching talent works against us too ( Mullins & Patterson applications tossed out )

Want proof? Consider the recent pools of applicants and finalists for our HC position...Ensoll from UConn? Was a leader.

We were so lucky Richt fell into our laps after UGA fired him.

I disagree because Mario isn’t just some big name coach. Mark Richt didn’t have to come to Miami either. He wasn’t hurting for a job in spite of being forced out at Georgia. Yet he chose to come to Miami to try to take the program to a different height financially because it was his Alma Mater. Mario is from Miami, his wife is from Miami, he played at and won titles at Miami and got his first coaching gig as a GA at Miami.

When you add in factors such as Alma Mater and home, as mentioned above, you have to throw out the normal parameters. Those things mean something to most people.

It comes down to two questions.

Will Miami pay and does Mario think he can win at Miami.

If the answer is yes to those two questions then i see no reason he would NOT come home. Making money and winning will always equal MORE at Miami than it would Oregon for him personally and quite frankly it would be a bigger deal in the sports world in general.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is really getting interesting. And I have work to do this week. Oh well, guess it will get done next week.

Advertisement
With Ray Lewis their in consulting fashion...
Shit Just Got Real Taika Waititi GIF by Madman Films

Time will tell. I agree to disagree

Fans here view this job much more highly than BIG NAME coaches do.

Our inability to recognize true coaching talent works against us too ( Mullins & Patterson applications tossed out )

Want proof? Consider the recent pools of applicants and finalists for our HC position...Ensoll from UConn? Was a leader.

We were so lucky Richt fell into our laps after UGA fired him.
The answer to your comments are easy. First off, for the amount of money UM pays, why would any big name coach want to come here to bring back a program that has expectations of ACC and National titles or bust? For 4M per year? Thats not even top 20 salaries in the country. What dummy would sign up for that unless they really had ties and a genuine love for the program? (enter Richt and Manny) Mullin knew if he brought UM back that is a quick ticket to the NFL as history has shown. Thats why he interviewed twice. And yes, people dont want to admit it but we look like idiots turning him down.

The reality is..Mario could be our only hope to actually be "back". He is one of the last few HCs out there that actually has ties and a love for this program that is young enough to take on the task... If Manny gets canned and Marios name hits the ticker..If you dont think he will have every former UM teammate, alumni, cheerleader, Seb the Ibis mascot, BOT member blowing up his phone begging him to take the job your crazy..the pressure would be unbearable....He might say "NO" but if he ever releases a memoir he will absolutely say that turning down our HC opportunity was the toughest decision by far hes ever had to make in his life and he still wonders what could have been. And never underestimate family pressure as well. (mainly pressure from the wife to come back to SoFla and make this his retirement job)

All this said, I wouldnt blame Mario for staying at Oregon because they believed in him when nobody else did. Im big on loyalty myself so he would get no ill feelings from me. We had our chances and we screwed him.

Advertisement
We recognized mullet as a coaching talent. They didn’t like him as a person. And Patterson idk. God this program would’ve been in business if that happened

Whatever the case. Our results have been **** poor.

I hope we could get Saban or even Urban
I disagree because Mario isn’t just some coach. Mark Richt didn’t have to come to Miami either. He wasn’t hurting for a job. Yet he chose to come to Miami to try to take the program to a different height financially.

When you add in factors such as Alma Mater and home, you have to throw out the normal parameters.

It comes down to two questions.

Will Miami pay and does Mario think he can win at Miami.

If the answer is yes to those to questions then i see no reason he would NOT come home. Making money and winning will always equal MORE at Miami than it would Oregon for him personally and quite frankly it would be a bigger deal in the sports world.

Hey we can go around and around on this thing.

I sure you firmly believe what you are saying....as firmly as I do. A least we do hear each other.

But the end result....no minds will be changed today

So let's respectfully agree to disagree

I disagree. I think as fans of the Canes we want it to mean something. Right now, he’s concentrating on coaching Oregon. He’s been publicly asked about the USC job by a local reporter. He basically ignored the question.

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he’s asked about Miami by a national reporter. Or maybe even another local guy. Let’s see how he handles that.
From my view, ignoring the question (without a previous emphatic denial) throws gasoline on the fire.

If he ignores Miami. question, moreso.

You do realize it has already been a ****show this season, only to get worse...............and waiting a whole other season with the current trajectory of this team, would be epically bad. So bad in fact I cannot think of anyone who would want to take on a rebuild of that proportion.
Not only will our recruits bail on us, we would lose a large portion of the team to the transfer portal in the off-season. This has to be done this year if we are serious about winning. If they do decide to give Blake and Manny another year, that lets you know nobody in UM administration cares about winning.

Advertisement
Back