Another Mark Walton arrest video

Pretty simply actually, he meets the proposed clinical criteria for CTE:

A minimum of 5 years of organized American football, with 2 or more of those years played at the high school level or beyond. - check

Core clinical features include progressive cognitive impairment involving episodic memory or executive functioning, or neurobehavioral dysregulation including explosiveness, impulsivity, rage, violent outbursts, and emotional lability, or both. - check

I'm pretty certain that the cognitive issues, like memory problems, would also show up if he were to take a neuropsych exam.

Which differential diagnosis do you propose?

This same exact thing happens to guys who don’t play, but if a cte diagnosis gets him help faster, I’m all for it.

Advertisement
As someone with family with mental illness. This is someone with Mental Illness that needs medication. He shouldn't be shamed or judged, he needs help.
EXACTLY.

When you have seen it up close, you know exactly what it is.

I can spot them with facial expressions and the way they walk.

I think it started after his mom passed away.
Exactly....I hung out and spoke with Mark at Paradise Camp a few yrs ago...and you couldn't ask for a nicer and more cordial kid.....ironically Antrell Rolle and his 2 kids were standing with us, and after Mark went inside, I looked at Trell and commented what a nice kid he was....

99%. 110 out of 111 brains. All of those disorders you listed out trying to sound smart, all have an increased risk by a multiplier with head trauma. There are plenty of studies on this with just regular people...nevermind a professional football player, which, again, we have a study showing that 99% of them have CTE. If you think the guy ****ing his pants outside of a Pizza Hut after getting arrested for a Nth time doesn't have it, perhaps its you that should educate yourself.

If you want to wait until his eventual demise to crack open his skull to confirm he's got tau proteins eating away at his brain...by all means...enjoy. But, you clearly lack common sense, are purposely being a dope, or simply being obtuse...and now, you just sound like a CTE denier, like a ******* weirdo.

Sound smart? No doesn’t you don’t have to be smart to take the position I’ve taken. You just have to have common sense.

The common sense to know that with what little information you’re operating from it is impossible to make a diagnosis like you’ve made.

Especially such a specific diagnosis.

You’re coming to conclusions based on an incredibly small set of data. There is not a single qualified clinician in the world that would say what you’re saying based on the available information. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

is CTE a possibility? It’s a possibility along with literally hundreds of other possible mental diagnoses nothing to do with CTE.

Advertisement

A minimum of 5 years of organized American football, with 2 or more of those years played at the high school level or beyond. - check

Core clinical features include progressive cognitive impairment involving episodic memory or executive functioning, or neurobehavioral dysregulation including explosiveness, impulsivity, rage, violent outbursts, and emotional lability, or both. - check

I'm pretty certain that the cognitive issues, like memory problems, would also show up if he were to take a neuropsych exam.

Well I guess I have CTE too.

Next time when you throw something like that out to somebody that knows what they’re talking about be sure to completely understand of what you speak.

Here’s the part you left out:

”the criteria require that other neurologic, psychiatric, or medical conditions cannot be fully responsible for these clinical problems”

My point exactly. We don’t know what Mark Walton has based on the information that we have. But yet you and the other guy are making a diagnosis that cannot be made

AND

”The authors of the paper stress that these criteria are not meant to be used by health care providers to make a clinical diagnosis of CTE.’

What you quoted is a proposed method of diagnosing live patients for CTE and not meant to be used by health care providers to make a clinical diagnosis of CTE.

Yet you CIS neurologists are making a live time diagnosis with the barest modicum of information.

Game. Set. Match.

Please stop now and stop embarrassing yourself.

You don’t know what he has.

You make a good point about mental health issues being another likely factor. That said, it doesn't rule-out CTE. People often have co-occurring brain conditions. In fact, having a preexisting mental illness puts him at an increased risk/vulnerability to developing CTE. Perhaps that is why it's showing up for him at a younger age than you usually see in these athletes?

As to the question about concussions, how do we know he has no history? I've read about football players who say they were diagnosed with X number of concussions but who acknowledge that they probably had tenfold that number that went undiagnosed.

In the article from another post it looks like they are moving away from concussions to calling it repetitive head impacts (RHIs). Anyone who plays football at a certain level for an extended period of time is going to have had multiple RHIs.

EDIT: This is from the article that one of the moderators posted (very good article, by the way).
"These head impacts can be with or without clinical symptoms or signs of concussion or traumatic brain injury. Thresholds for football, where most CTE research has been conducted, include a minimum of 5 years of organized American football, with 2 or more of those years played at the high school level or beyond."

I'm not making any assumption on 1 factor being more likely than any other.

What I'm saying is - I see a range of possibilities for Walton's actions - from having serious head trauma issues, to having emotional issues, to just being a jerk.

Like - if Ray Rice knocks out his wife - is that CTE? If Joe Mixon knocks out a girl at a bar - is that CTE? If Mark Walton hits his girlfriend - is that CTE?

There's probably thousands of guys who played football at some level who get into a fight or have some type of run in with the law every year - are you saying that we should assume CTE in all instances?

My questions is - what makes the CTE reason any more valid than just saying Walton's an ***?

You lack common sense, are purposely being a dope, or simply being obtuse...perhaps a combination of all three.

99% of brains obtained by the National Football League for a study had CTE.
91% for college players.

You can play the "well, how do you know, DOCTOR" angle like a douche while tau proteins eat away at his brain and he's ****ing himself outside of a Pizza Hut after getting arrested for the 4th time in a year...or you can simply acknowledge the obvious.

Either way...hope Mark finds help.

That’s why I’m skeptical of cte as a diagnosis for this type behavior. Most football players live normal lives.

By those numbers, we should be drowning in stories everyday of football players and other combat sport participants acting a fool. What we see is nothing compared to those numbers you posted.

We have a serious problem with the way we deal with mental illness. No one wants to step in unless they are trying to kill themselves or someone else.

The legal standard of “competency” is way too low and allows us to use cheap jails to deal with the problem instead of expensive medical care.

Advertisement

You just diagnosed half the population of women in America

TallCoolDuiker-small.gif

Last edited:
No cte.

It’s just bipolar schizophrenia. Meds and/ or other treatments would make him like his old self but if you asked him, he would say “I’m not crazy”.

The hardest part is getting them to realize their thought process is disrupted and they need help.

I can’t count how many guys I have seen this happen to. High testosterone guys act like Walton is acting. When they are manic they have unpredictable violent outburst. When in the depressed mode, they get real weird and delusional. Lower testosterone guys are in this state more than the erratic manic state.

He should be Baker acted but he has just barely enough awareness that they can’t force him into treatment. He is in a dangerous grey area. Hopefully a shift happens that gets him of the street and into a facility to get the care he needs.
He may have a mental disorder but he wasnt manic in the video. He seemed like someone with high t levels and who had been drinking all day

Well I guess I have CTE too.

Next time when you throw something like that out to somebody that knows what they’re talking about be sure to completely understand of what you speak.

Here’s the part you left out:

”the criteria require that other neurologic, psychiatric, or medical conditions cannot be fully responsible for these clinical problems”

My point exactly. We don’t know what Mark Walton has based on the information that we have. But yet you and the other guy are making a diagnosis that cannot be made

AND

”The authors of the paper stress that these criteria are not meant to be used by health care providers to make a clinical diagnosis of CTE.’

What you quoted is a proposed method of diagnosing live patients for CTE and not meant to be used by health care providers to make a clinical diagnosis of CTE.

Yet you CIS neurologists are making a live time diagnosis with the barest modicum of information.

Game. Set. Match.

Please stop now and stop embarrassing yourself.

You don’t know what he has.
"Game. Set. Match." What are you nine? Geez, calm down.

If you go back to one of my earlier posts, I said CTE is a "likely explanation" for the very reason that we will never know for certain until an autopsy is performed.

In one of your posts, you said that there are "literally hundreds of other possible mental diagnoses" yet you conveniently ignored my question about giving a differential diagnosis. Go ahead, name just 10 of them.

****. That was a very disturbing video. He is not well in the head. Football is the least of this young man's concerns. If he doesn't get things fixed up there, he's going to be arrested over and over... or worse.

Very sad.

Advertisement
While I wouldn't rule out CTE - it seems like a big leap to me.

All of these seem like plausible reasons for Walton's behavior:

CTE
Depression/Mental/Emotional Health issues
Immaturity/Anger Issues
Just being a bad drunk & an *******

So honest question (I have no medical background) - there's no history of concussions with Walton, so why would CTE be the assumption?

I mean - I've been around tons of dudes who behave irrationally, aggressively, unpredictably when they're drunk. **** - I've been that dude some nights.

I'd specifically add schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to that list and as possible explanations. It is not at all uncommon for mental illness in men to present in early adulthood. In men, it is sadly pretty common for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to first appear in that 18-25 age range. Mark recently turned 24 years old. He was 21 or 22 years old at the time of his first few wild arrests.

Is it possible he's got CTE? Yes.
Is it possible he has serious mental health issues? Yes.
Is it possible he has both CTE and serious mental health issue? Yes.
Is it possible he's just being a drunken *******? Sure, but I think that one is looking more and more unlikely with each incident.

Regardless, I hope he gets the help he needs before he hurts himself, someone else, or ends up in prison (or worse). If you've ever dealt with mental illness with a close friend or family member, you know it is serious and can completely change a person's behavior.

This is another case where people think they've got all the answers from reading a headline. Somewhere in that study is a disclaimer stating that the sample they used might be skewed. Those brains were donated by the families. It's very possible that they did that because they knew something was wrong. That's not exactly independent observations.

I can guarantee that the real number is less than 99%.
Well, when you find a study that says otherwise, let's re-evaluate. Even if the number is skewed by families that donated based on their assumption something was wrong with their loved one, it may not include cases where former football players lived out the rest of their lives without observable effects of CTE, but that doesn't mean they didn't have CTE.

Also, just by saying Mark Walton has CTE, doesn't absolve any other potential diagnosis he may have...but the fact he's a former professional football player exponentially increases his risk of each and every single one of those diagnosis and with the information we have right now from the few studies that have been completed, the overwhelming evidence is that a significant majority of football players at the college level and above have some sort of CTE diagnosis post-mortem and in studies that cover THOUSANDS of football players that show increased risk all sorts of neurodegenerative disorders and thousands that report symptoms that are consistent with a CTE.

Advertisement
This is so sad. Unbelievable. What happened to the young man? He's gonna end up doing some serious time if he keeps this up. And the cousin might as well sue him and the police department and get paid. Police should've arrested Mark back by the pizza hut window. Only reason they hesitated was that state of the world right now.

The one thing that did have me chuckling was Officer Desi Arnaz making the arrest 😂😂😂 You can't police with an accent like that! At least not in that neighborhood! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Dude needs to transfer to Hialeah or Sweetwater PD stat!!
For sure that one officer had a thick accent and interesting usage of some words (not criticizing just observing) At one point I thought he was telling Walton to row on his back - translated it was “roll.” That additional complication in communicating didnt help matters.

Also , IIRC (learned that abbreviation here - lol) Walton was at one point a team spokesperson with Shaq during the Richt era. Times have changed.

Sound smart? No doesn’t you don’t have to be smart to take the position I’ve taken. You just have to have common sense.

The common sense to know that with what little information you’re operating from it is impossible to make a diagnosis like you’ve made.

Especially such a specific diagnosis.

You’re coming to conclusions based on an incredibly small set of data. There is not a single qualified clinician in the world that would say what you’re saying based on the available information. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

is CTE a possibility? It’s a possibility along with literally hundreds of other possible mental diagnoses nothing to do with CTE.

The fact he's a professional football player increases the risk of every one of those "hundreds of other possible mental diagnoses" by a multiplier.

More CTE denialism from you. It is not that difficult to understand that a significant majority of pro football players have CTE. It should be a baseline, common sense, understood, de facto conclusion, but I guess a brainiac like you needs to crack open the skull before confirming the obvious. It doesn't deny or absolve personal responsibility or an array of other "mental diagnoses" but to deny that CTE isn't the baseline discussion point for a former football player showing the pattern of behavior Mark Walton is showing is buffoonery that only the likes of those on CiS could muster the courage to type up.

Does CTE make you **** your pants?

Honestly, as ****ed up as that video was, I've seen that behavior out of countless people...most of the time it's entirely alcohol related, except for the pants ****ing. That was the most disturbing part to me. The aggression, all that, sure it's unacceptable and he needs help, but that was all relatively common for intoxicated people. I've never seen people willingly **** their pants that weren't on the verge of passing out. This dude's blood pressure was 180/110 and was completely coherent and he just sits down and ****es himself? There's something REALLY weird with this kid's brain. I hope he gets the help he desperately needs. Rehab would be a good start.

Advertisement
Back