Another Mark Walton arrest video

Advertisement
Man there's some bad medical takes in this thread. I worked in psych a long time. Dude clearly has a mood disorder and impulse control issues. Seems like Bipolar I but it could be a host of other things and comorbidities. Neuro trauma could absolutely play a role but there's no way to know. And it's not like mental illness and physical brain damage are mutually exclusive. Plenty of people with underlying MI issues also suffer brain damage and as you might have guessed, it usually doesn't help their symptoms. Bipolar patients can decompensate at anytime but the illness typically buds in the teen years through the 20s. Someone said he didn't seem "manic" in the video. Sorry but with all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about. This is textbook manic episode behaviour. Grandiosity, irritability, no impulse control, paranoia, no ability to self-regulate. Yea, that's mania.

Well, when you find a study that says otherwise, let's re-evaluate. Even if the number is skewed by families that donated based on their assumption something was wrong with their loved one, it may not include cases where former football players lived out the rest of their lives without observable effects of CTE, but that doesn't mean they didn't have CTE.

Also, just by saying Mark Walton has CTE, doesn't absolve any other potential diagnosis he may have...but the fact he's a former professional football player exponentially increases his risk of each and every single one of those diagnosis and with the information we have right now from the few studies that have been completed, the overwhelming evidence is that a significant majority of football players at the college level and above have some sort of CTE diagnosis post-mortem and in studies that cover THOUSANDS of football players that show increased risk all sorts of neurodegenerative disorders and thousands that report symptoms that are consistent with a CTE.
Here you go.

I'd specifically add schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to that list and as possible explanations. It is not at all uncommon for mental illness in men to present in early adulthood. In men, it is sadly pretty common for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to first appear in that 18-25 age range. Mark recently turned 24 years old. He was 21 or 22 years old at the time of his first few wild arrests.

Is it possible he's got CTE? Yes.
Is it possible he has serious mental health issues? Yes.
Is it possible he has both CTE and serious mental health issue? Yes.
Is it possible he's just being a drunken *******? Sure, but I think that one is looking more and more unlikely with each incident.

Regardless, I hope he gets the help he needs before he hurts himself, someone else, or ends up in prison (or worse). If you've ever dealt with mental illness with a close friend or family member, you know it is serious and can completely change a person's behavior.

Advertisement
Here you go.

We aren't talking about "athletes (in the broadest sense) and non-athletes"...we're talking about professional football players which...you're taking a study that is looking at the population at-large. Thats fine. But we're talking about professional football players here.

From the article you posted about CTE, "...linked with repetitive blows to the head, has been found in 80-99% of autopsied brains of pro football players." ... "American football had the highest frequency of CTE (15%) of the contact sports studied, with participation beyond high school resulting in the highest risk of developing CTE."

The famous study we've been discussing showed 21% for HS, 91% for college and 99% for professional football players. Nothing in the study you have provided really counters the conclusions of the previous study we were discussing. And, again, that study was just a little over a hundred donated brains at those three levels...you're trying to penny pinch what should be a pretty obvious conclusion.

Last edited:
Junk science, ipsi dixit, or reliable opinion testimony? Where’s a gatekeeper when you need one?

We aren't talking about "athletes (in the broadest sense) and non-athletes"...we're talking about professional football players which...ou're taking a study that is looking at the population at-large. Thats fine. But we're talking about professional football players here.

From the article you posted about CTE, "...linked with repetitive blows to the head, has been found in 80-99% of autopsied brains of pro football players." ... "American football had the highest frequency of CTE (15%) of the contact sports studied, with participation beyond high school resulting in the highest risk of developing CTE."

The famous study we've been discussing showed 21% for HS, 91% for college and 99% for professional football players. Nothing in the study you have provided really counters the conclusions of the previous study we were discussing. And, again, that study was just a little over a hundred donated brains at those three levels...you're trying to penny pinch what should be a pretty obvious conclusion.
We aren't talking about "athletes (in the broadest sense) and non-athletes"...we're talking about professional football players which...ou're taking a study that is looking at the population at-large. Thats fine. But we're talking about professional football players here.

I still guarantee it's less than 99%. You have a ridiculously small sample size that's not independent.

So tell me more about how you diagnosed a disease using a PET scan that can only be found in an autopsy.

I still guarantee it's less than 99%. You have a ridiculously small sample size that's not independent.

So tell me more about how you diagnosed a disease using a PET scan that can only be found in an autopsy.

I mean, you can guarantee anything you want, I don't care. The data points to a figure closer to 99% than whatever number you likely have in your head.

Your inability to understand a joke on the internet notwithstanding...

But PET scans - while in the experimental stage - are something that is being tinkered with in an attempt to diagnose CTE.

"They found that the tau PET levels were significantly higher in the former NFL players than in the control group, and that the tau was in the same areas of the brain as in post-mortem cases of diagnosed CTE."

To show that I'm not just using sources for confirmation bias...again, its still being worked on.

"...While the UCSF researchers found a similar FTP pattern to what was seen in the Boston University study and other research, "when we compared this signal to the amount of tau pathology, there was only a modest correlation," Mantyh told MedPage Today.

"Our case suggests this tracer may not be a home run for detecting CTE," said co-author Gil Rabinovici, MD, also of UCSF. "Unfortunately, it tempers some of the enthusiasm about the ability to use this tracer to detect CTE in living people because the correlations were quite modest and lower than what's been reported in Alzheimer's disease," he told MedPage Today..."

share to facebook
share to twitter
share to linkedin

email article
A positron emission tomography scan of the brain

The PET tracer 18F-flortaucipir (FTP) may have limited utility as a tau pathology biomarker in chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), findings from a case report suggested.

In a former National Football League (NFL) player with pathologically confirmed CTE, flortaucipir PET findings during life showed only a modest correspondence with postmortem CTE pathology, reported William Mantyh, MD, of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), and colleagues, in JAMA Neurology.

This is the first report to describe a PET-to-autopsy correlation in a patient with CTE, Mantyh noted.

Currently, CTE can be diagnosed only after death. Last year, Boston University researchers reported that FTP PET scans showed elevated tau levels in brain regions affected by CTE in living former NFL players, suggesting FTP could detect CTE pathology in life.

While the UCSF researchers found a similar FTP pattern to what was seen in the Boston University study and other research, "when we compared this signal to the amount of tau pathology, there was only a modest correlation," Mantyh told MedPage Today.

"Our case suggests this tracer may not be a home run for detecting CTE," said co-author Gil Rabinovici, MD, also of UCSF. "Unfortunately, it tempers some of the enthusiasm about the ability to use this tracer to detect CTE in living people because the correlations were quite modest and lower than what's been reported in Alzheimer's disease," he told MedPage Today.

Flortaucipir was developed to detect Alzheimer's tangles and was validated against post-mortem tissue from Alzheimer's patients, he added. "It seems it doesn't bind quite as well to tau in CTE," he said.

"Biochemically, the composition of tangles in CTE and Alzheimer's is very similar, and some aspects of the filaments are similar," Rabinovici explained. "But what's been found is that there are actually differences in the folding of the filaments in these two disorders. Those kinds of differences could certainly impact the ability of a PET tracer to bind to the aggregates."

The case report involved a white former NFL player who played football for 17 years starting in high school, and who had been clinically diagnosed with traumatic encephalopathy syndrome. After retiring from football, he worked as a professional stuntman.

At age 57, he had depression, social withdrawal, episodic rage, anxiety, and a reduced ability to multitask. At 63, he developed postural tremor, stooped posture, and a shuffling gait; exams at ages 65 and 68 showed mild parkinsonism. He was clinically diagnosed with traumatic encephalopathy syndrome with behavioral, cognitive, mood, and motor features. At age 72, he developed recurrent seizures, was hospitalized, and died. About 52 months before his death, he underwent imaging, including FTP PET. His autopsy was performed using a neurodegenerative research protocol.

Pathology results showed he had stage 4 CTE, plus neurofibrillary tangles typical of Alzheimer's disease (Braak stage 3) and findings consistent with limbic argyrophilic grain disease and stage 2 limbic-predominant, age-related transactive response DNA-binding protein 43 (TDP-43) encephalopathy. Immunohistochemical analyses for alpha-synuclein and beta-amyloid were negative.

Advertisement
I mean, you can guarantee anything you want, I don't care. The data points to a figure closer to 99% than whatever number you likely have in your head.

Your inability to understand a joke on the internet notwithstanding...

But PET scans - while in the experimental stage - are something that is being tinkered with in an attempt to diagnose CTE.

"They found that the tau PET levels were significantly higher in the former NFL players than in the control group, and that the tau was in the same areas of the brain as in post-mortem cases of diagnosed CTE."

To show that I'm not just using sources for confirmation bias...again, its still being worked on.

"...While the UCSF researchers found a similar FTP pattern to what was seen in the Boston University study and other research, "when we compared this signal to the amount of tau pathology, there was only a modest correlation," Mantyh told MedPage Today.

"Our case suggests this tracer may not be a home run for detecting CTE," said co-author Gil Rabinovici, MD, also of UCSF. "Unfortunately, it tempers some of the enthusiasm about the ability to use this tracer to detect CTE in living people because the correlations were quite modest and lower than what's been reported in Alzheimer's disease," he told MedPage Today..."

share to facebook
share to twitter
share to linkedin

email article
A positron emission tomography scan of the brain

The PET tracer 18F-flortaucipir (FTP) may have limited utility as a tau pathology biomarker in chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), findings from a case report suggested.

In a former National Football League (NFL) player with pathologically confirmed CTE, flortaucipir PET findings during life showed only a modest correspondence with postmortem CTE pathology, reported William Mantyh, MD, of the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), and colleagues, in JAMA Neurology.

This is the first report to describe a PET-to-autopsy correlation in a patient with CTE, Mantyh noted.

Currently, CTE can be diagnosed only after death. Last year, Boston University researchers reported that FTP PET scans showed elevated tau levels in brain regions affected by CTE in living former NFL players, suggesting FTP could detect CTE pathology in life.

While the UCSF researchers found a similar FTP pattern to what was seen in the Boston University study and other research, "when we compared this signal to the amount of tau pathology, there was only a modest correlation," Mantyh told MedPage Today.

"Our case suggests this tracer may not be a home run for detecting CTE," said co-author Gil Rabinovici, MD, also of UCSF. "Unfortunately, it tempers some of the enthusiasm about the ability to use this tracer to detect CTE in living people because the correlations were quite modest and lower than what's been reported in Alzheimer's disease," he told MedPage Today.

Flortaucipir was developed to detect Alzheimer's tangles and was validated against post-mortem tissue from Alzheimer's patients, he added. "It seems it doesn't bind quite as well to tau in CTE," he said.

"Biochemically, the composition of tangles in CTE and Alzheimer's is very similar, and some aspects of the filaments are similar," Rabinovici explained. "But what's been found is that there are actually differences in the folding of the filaments in these two disorders. Those kinds of differences could certainly impact the ability of a PET tracer to bind to the aggregates."

The case report involved a white former NFL player who played football for 17 years starting in high school, and who had been clinically diagnosed with traumatic encephalopathy syndrome. After retiring from football, he worked as a professional stuntman.

At age 57, he had depression, social withdrawal, episodic rage, anxiety, and a reduced ability to multitask. At 63, he developed postural tremor, stooped posture, and a shuffling gait; exams at ages 65 and 68 showed mild parkinsonism. He was clinically diagnosed with traumatic encephalopathy syndrome with behavioral, cognitive, mood, and motor features. At age 72, he developed recurrent seizures, was hospitalized, and died. About 52 months before his death, he underwent imaging, including FTP PET. His autopsy was performed using a neurodegenerative research protocol.

Pathology results showed he had stage 4 CTE, plus neurofibrillary tangles typical of Alzheimer's disease (Braak stage 3) and findings consistent with limbic argyrophilic grain disease and stage 2 limbic-predominant, age-related transactive response DNA-binding protein 43 (TDP-43) encephalopathy. Immunohistochemical analyses for alpha-synuclein and beta-amyloid were negative.
If I want to know how PET scans work, I'll ask a nuclear medicine technologist. I want to know how YOU diagnosed him.

If I want to know how PET scans work, I'll ask a nuclear medicine technologist. I want to know how YOU diagnosed him.

Behavioral analysis.

If you want my full breakdown, please subscribe to my substack. Use the promo code CISCTEDenier to get 15% off your first month.

Advertisement
I'm not making any assumption on 1 factor being more likely than any other.

What I'm saying is - I see a range of possibilities for Walton's actions - from having serious head trauma issues, to having emotional issues, to just being a jerk.

Like - if Ray Rice knocks out his wife - is that CTE? If Joe Mixon knocks out a girl at a bar - is that CTE? If Mark Walton hits his girlfriend - is that CTE?

There's probably thousands of guys who played football at some level who get into a fight or have some type of run in with the law every year - are you saying that we should assume CTE in all instances?

My questions is - what makes the CTE reason any more valid than just saying Walton's an ***?
These are good questions and I agree with your point about there being "a range of possibilities for Walton's actions." The truth is that neurological and especially psychiatric illnesses are very difficult to diagnose with certainty. There is often disagreement even amongst clinicians about the correct diagnosis. For example, a person suffering with depression may get a diagnosis of major depressive disorder from one provider and a diagnosis of bipolar or schizoaffective disorder from another provider.

Compared to physical illnesses, neurological and psychiatric conditions lack effective biomarkers that can help determine a diagnosis (think antibody test to help diagnose COVID). So, providers have to rely on other (less discernible) clinical features, such as mood, thought process, speech etc. In other words, since these conditions affect people's behavior, emotions, and thoughts, all of these variables have to be considered for a diagnosis. Ray Rice and Joe Mixon may have done what they did because of CTE but a diagnosis should not be based on one violent episode. More clinical information would be needed about those dudes before arriving at a diagnosis.

In Mark's case though, we have multiple examples of bizarre behavior and violent tendencies. Could another psychiatric illness better explain what's going on here, such as schizophrenia or bipolar with psychosis? Sure, those are possibilities. And, he might even have both CTE and a psychiatric illness. However, the people on here disputing the likelihood of CTE are being disingenuous. It is not just plausible but highly likely that he has CTE based on the fact that he meets the clinical criteria needed for a CTE diagnosis:

He played football for more than 2 years at the high school level and beyond
He exhibits explosiveness, impulsivity, rage, violent outbursts, and emotional lability
(i.e. mood swings).

I think we can agree that Mark's brain is significantly impaired (likely irreversibly). He might have had a preexisting psychiatric or neurological illness but, whether we call this CTE or something else, playing football for as long as he did at the level he did has led to worsening and accelerating his neurological deterioration.

to deny that CTE isn't the baseline discussion point for a former football player showing the pattern of behavior Mark Walton is showing is buffoonery that only the likes of those on CiS could muster the courage to type up.

This forum is a propaganda filled cesspool. More than half these dudes view Alex Jones conspiracy theories as alternative facts. Have you been to the COVID forum and seen some of the sources that were routinely cited? To say that they subvert science would be an understatement.

Last edited:
I'd specifically add schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to that list and as possible explanations. It is not at all uncommon for mental illness in men to present in early adulthood. In men, it is sadly pretty common for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder to first appear in that 18-25 age range. Mark recently turned 24 years old. He was 21 or 22 years old at the time of his first few wild arrests.

Is it possible he's got CTE? Yes.
Is it possible he has serious mental health issues? Yes.
Is it possible he has both CTE and serious mental health issue? Yes.
Is it possible he's just being a drunken *******? Sure, but I think that one is looking more and more unlikely with each incident.

Regardless, I hope he gets the help he needs before he hurts himself, someone else, or ends up in prison (or worse). If you've ever dealt with mental illness with a close friend or family member, you know it is serious and can completely change a person's behavior.

Totally agree - any of these are possible. I don't want to undermine any type of mental illness. I think that's a very real thing that's underdiagnosed.

But I don't think this board is very impartial either. If this was a FSU or UF player - the overwhelming reaction would be he's a scumbag, F him. When it's a Miami player - it's he's got mental health issues/CTE and needs help. And I think that might be letting Walton off the hook a bit. He needs to be more accountable, no matter what the reason.

In my personal opinion - I don't think myself or anyone else on this board have any idea if Walton has actual mental issues that need medical treatment - everyone's just guessing. So to act like it definitely is, or even likely is bipolar, CTE, etc. seems like a stretch. I do feel he at least has some emotional issues he's dealing with where he'd benefit from some type of professional help.

My skepticism is - his physical altercations are that he's beat up his girlfriend (twice), and his cousin who looks like he's 130 lbs soaking wet. So these random, uncontrollable acts of violence only come out against those half his size who won't press charges? I doubt that's a coincidence.

Advertisement
This whole forum is a propaganda filled cesspool. More than half these dudes view Alex Jones conspiracy theories as alternative facts. Have you been to the COVID forum and seen some of the sources that were routinely cited? To say that they subvert science would be an understatement.
621021-604b151af7261a5707cf2ef30f97c08d.gif

This forum is a propaganda filled cesspool. More than half these dudes view Alex Jones conspiracy theories as alternative facts. Have you been to the COVID forum and seen some of the sources that were routinely cited? To say that they subvert science would be an understatement.

Are you a neurologist also? The only nut jobs I’ve seen in this thread are the ones diagnosing a condition over the internet. Something a qualified diagnostician, in this field, would NEVER do with the information currently available.

Another example of CIS idiot doctors that don’t understand how medical diagnoses are made.

The guy has mental issues. That’s all anybody can say here. The rest is pure guesswork.

There could conceivably be literally dozens of diagnoses, some not mutually exclusize. That’s the best you can say. There is a smorgasbord of possibilities.

Advertisement
Back