Analyzing the backup QB battle

Advertisement
Folks are overthinking this!

This is about keeping enough arms on the team and class separation. The staff wants to maintain enough arms on the roster.

QB A is expected to compete for the #2 QB position on the team and gets beat out. Poff is clearly QB 2 according to most everybody that attends practices. QB A can be a starter on another team and it is likely in his best interest to transfer for a better system fit as well.

QB B is taking a redshirt and truthfully wasn’t competing for the #2 QB position. QB B has more time to develop because he is taking a redshirt and there will be more class separation.

If you are a coach creating some class separation and trying to maintain enough arms on the roster which QB do you push out?

Keep in mind that neither QB will likely ever start another game here. The staff is just trying to maintain enough arms on the roster, but because they have to push out a certain amount of players to get down to 85 (12 plus whatever # of portal players they add).

Jacurri’s video interview could not have helped his situation either. Other than that, if he still has accuracy issues year 3 who really thinks that it is still correctable?

Folks are overthinking this!

This is about keeping enough arms on the team and class separation. The staff wants to maintain enough arms on the roster.

QB A is expected to compete for the #2 QB position on the team and gets beat out. Poff is clearly QB 2 according to most everybody that attends practices. QB A can be a starter on another team and it is likely in his best interest to transfer for a better system fit as well.

QB B is taking a redshirt and truthfully wasn’t competing for the #2 QB position. QB B has more time to develop because he is taking a redshirt and there will be more class separation.

If you are a coach creating some class separation and trying to maintain enough arms on the roster which QB do you push out?

Keep in mind that neither QB will likely ever start another game here. The staff is just trying to maintain enough arms on the roster, but because they have to push out a certain amount of players to get down to 85 (12 plus whatever # of portal players they add).

Jacurri’s video interview could not have helped his situation either. Other than that, if he still has accuracy issues year 3 who really thinks that it is still correctable?
Respectfully you are overthinking it. Brown can not throw a football. It’s that simple.

This moron running the caneville Twitter acct keeps saying that the bowl game was some triumphant experience for Jaccuri. He was terrible. And he lost. To Rutgers

This are some stupid ****** arguments in this thread based on basically zero knowledge. People arguing about who the number four quarterback is. I couldn’t get through it, sorry guys. Not just that, but the same bull**** about coaches playing favorites when 99% of the people that post here don’t know what the **** they’re talking about. Just keep fighting among yourselves and keep them agendas going. I’m scrolling on out.

Hmm, Idk as a Whole I think our OLine probably will actually "grade" higher. I agree Lee to Carpenter will almost certainly be a dropoff. Wehther or not we improve in run blocking will be the key factor. BUT,

- RT WILL improve. Mauigoa wasn't great in pass protection last year, and had quite a few bad penalties. He was really good for a True Frosh of course, but that still leaves a lot. He's ultra talented, and I expect RT to potentially be our most improved position on the OLine this year, just from his development.
- RG is similar to RT, which I view as a position that is almost guaranteed to improve with Anez Cooper entering his 3rd year... just I don't expect nearly as large of an improvement. I'd expect a solid improvement.
- LG I agree could be viewed as the biggest question mark given we will have a first time starter, BUT Cohen was actually PFFs lowest graded Olineman for us by a large margin I believe. And Samson has a **** load of talent. Again Personally I'd have put Samson at LT and moved Rivers to LG, but I feel pretty confident Samson will do well right off the bat in pass pro. May struggle moving big DTs in the run game a bit - but so did Cohen lol. So yeah this position is probably the one that'll be the deciding factor in whether the OLine as a whole is better or worse. But I'd say it's absolutely possible maybe even likely we get better performance out of LG this year than last year.
- Potentially most importantly, I'd expect a big improvement out of our 6th OLineman/depth for injuries as well when McCoy and/or Kinsler or even Rodriguez comes in. And I think if any injuries occur I still think we are set up better than last year because of the further development out of our young guys.

SO yeah, Center is the spot that is likely to have a decent dropoff going from Lee to Carpenter. But it may not result in a worse OLine as a whole. I think theres actually a good chance we are better. Actually a really good chance if we improve a lot in run blocking. Cam Ward will signficantly help our OLine for pass blocking. So if we can improve our Run blocking, This could serve as a big improvement still.
From what I’ve heard (and seen on Carpenter’s film) he’s bigger, stronger, but less athletic than Lee. He came from a different offense than we run here. He’s not the best at pulling, but that doesn’t make him a worse player. He’s stronger at the point of attack in the running game though. Lee is better at pas blocking but not by a whole lot. Carpenter is a big slow guy, but as I said, he is at his best when asked to block the dude in front of him or down block. He ain’t the type you ask to pull and kick out.. that doesn’t make him bad. It’s just not what they do a whole lot of where he previously played. If we are going more spread, we have a big enough line to just zone block and move people anyways. Spread them out and run. And that will also cut down on our injuries.

Advertisement
I don't believe Mario and Mirabal will allow that. The talent-level and product on the field will be better each year until we reach a certain competitive standard, come **** or high water

I expect a jump this year and another one next year.
Yea this isn’t doubt towards mario and mirabal i respect their teaching there to have it at a good enough level but i expect a step back..And a step back could still be good enough

In todays episode from Flo he threw out some bold accusations.

He says that the media and coaching staff are basically doing some fishy stuff for Emory. He says that people who have been at practices say JB is the clear #3 QB but the staff keeps pushing an Emory narrative and that in practice emory has looked shaky and a lot worse than Jacurri.

He also slipped up and said "players have been saying" and said that he made a mistake and meant "people have been saying".

Some pretty bold accusations and if his slip up is correct than seems like the players are not very happy. He thinks its clear that this is the staff trying to push Jacurri to the portal by not giving him a fair shot
To what purpose does that serve?

C'mon now.

RCT anti Brown contingent: “JB sucks. He should never play quarterback at this level.”

JB transfers, goes to a coach that knows what he is doing, kid kills it.

RCT pro Brown contingent: “I told yall Brown could ball under the right coach.”

RCT anti Brown contingent: “**** Brown, he is not a Cane anyway. Emory is a real quarterback.

Emory wins the job in 2026, show’s toughness, dives all over the place, waves arms in the air, throws 35% completion rate.

RCT anti Brown contingent: “I know Emory doesn’t have the stats to prove it but kid is a winner.

RCT pro brown contingent: “**** Emory, should have never let Brown go, should have fired the OC *** and hired the guy who kickin *** with him.
This is EXACTLY how it goes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But that Caneville quack is trying to badmouth Poff because he came from Albany, and claims JB should be QB2, which is laughable. As for Emory, he doesn't have JB's arm, but he makes better decisions with the ball and doesn't miss receivers by 5+ yards like JB is prone to doing. Neither are QB2 material at this point.
Emory in games was a worse passer than JB. I agree with neither is starter material at this point

Exactly. We were told last year by people who watched practices Emory was the second string qb over Jacurri. But then I saw how he played vs. JB.
After watching them both play last year a have no idea how someone watched those 2 qbs and said yep Emory is better. Practice is not a real game and it was obvious who was the better player in a real game.
I disagree. Emory is a better QB. You make valid points about his performance but lose me with JB talk.

Emory in games was a worse passer than JB. I agree with neither is starter material at this point

This is what I think people keep missing in this thread.

Neither is a playoff/ACC championship level QB.

Digging in your heels on one side or the other when they both suck is a waste of time.

Like I said earlier, let’s revisit this conversation when both guys play in the spring. No biases except your own you watch the spring game this Saturday

Advertisement
I don't think either one of them (JB & Em) are starting caliber QB's, that can be expected to lead this team to an ACC title or playoffs next year for 2025.

Ward & Poff are head & shoulders above the rest in terms of arm talent, skill & overall ability.

Jacurri simply doesn't have the accuracy & consistency needed to be trusted. He's a G5 QB & needs to be in places like Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Jax ST, ULL etc in order to really showcase his ability. Funny enough, he'd probably be really good at Toledo in Candle's Offense.

Emory's mechanics debilitate his velocity on the ball. And the continuous caveat about his accuracy when his feet are set is interesting. However, how often is he gonna have his feet set against pressure? When you're playing against a real opponent & not just practice against your own teams, it's not going to be a controlled environment where the Defense gives you the benefit of the doubt. DC's will see on film that his accuracy fluctuates when his feet aren't set & will make sure to send pressures from multiple angles with sole purpose of not allowing him to get his feet set & disrupt his rhythm. That's why it's so key for today's modern QB to be able to make multi-platform throws even off-balance, because Defenses aren't just going to sit back & wait until you get comfortable before they decided to collapse the pocket.

If you look at the QB's who are thriving in this era, it's mostly guys with exceptional arm talent who can make throws on the run with a quick trigger release.

For next season, Poff is likely the starter. While continuing to monitor the Portal in case any big time talent decides to jump in. But neither JB nor Emory are guys you bet the house on.

This, hence why Mario went out and got 2 portal QBs because the guys on our roster before were not good enough to be the starter on a playoff team

This is what I think people keep missing in this thread.

Neither is a playoff/ACC championship level QB.

Digging in your heels on one side or the other when they both suck is a waste of time.

Like I said earlier, let’s revisit this conversation when both guys play in the spring. No biases except your own you watch the spring game this Saturday
It’ll be the same assessment from the same guys that have never coached a QB at any level let alone even played the position at the Pop Warner level. There are a handful of guys on this site that know what they’re looking at when it comes to QB play. I ain’t one of them. I was a RB and safety.

As I mentioned earlier, I’ll leave the assessments to the guys getting paid big bucks to do just that.

Advertisement
This stuff from Canesville social media is just another example of how locals with connections work against the program. Not sure who is posting behind the “handle”on this but they both put some questionable posts out at times.
No reason for the drama other than get clicks and interactions up, and if you do it to the programs detriment, are you really a fan of the program?

They are basically saying that Emory is above JB because he is white.

Assinine.

I mean what if a team convinces Poff he could start for a team this year and enters the Portal? Imagine being 1 play away from Emory being the Starter. Emory isnt good enough right nor do I think he’ll ever be good enough to be the starting QB for a team who has playoff aspirations.

Ever? We beat Clemson who has destroyed us over the years, even to the point where it was unbearable to watch after halftime. Same with FSU, he kept us in the game. While he was not perfect by any means, we still had drops and pretty ridiculous calls. True freshman starting his second game arguably against our arch enemy in FSU on the road and keeping us in the game. No one knows the outcome if he didn't get hurt getting that first down when he got injured. But he kept us in the game and gave us a chance.

Like I asked in my other reply, would anyone here have pulled him in either game? ? ?

EW may not be the answer, but to start as a true freshman against those two teams that have crushed us for a long time and get no credit is baffling. After Clemson, he should have been allowed to at least start the next game, if not both leading up to FSU. I am also inclined to say we probably do not make a bowl game if EW did not start against Clemson.

JB is a supreme athlete but his mechanics need work, even though he has had a few years in the program. Rutgers game showed that he has not improved in the areas he needs to. He would be so dangerous if he improved his throwing. He has everything else but as a qb you cant consistently miss throws that should be completed. I wish him the best whether he becomes a starter here or somewhere else. Team player and a great individual. Even seems like him and EW are good friends.

Advertisement
Back