Analyzing the backup QB battle

Advertisement
Some of you are underrating Emory.

There was nothing I saw in either start that showed me has any plus physical traits. IMO, he seems fairly average across the board. But, what he lacks physically he may have from a mental standpoint. We know coaches love the steady, mature QBs. In particular, we know our coach is on the more conservative side. So while the steady hand never excites the fans--including me--conservative coaches get tickled pink with QBs "that won't lose you a game." It is not surprising Emory is well-regarded internally.

Cam is a bit of an outlier for Cristobal. But, if we're all right that he'd prefer to run the ball, play D, and not turn the ball over, I wouldn't be surprised if Emory becomes the guy at some point during his career here.
I completely agree with you're saying, but I sure hope you're wrong.

It just makes no sense to build an offense that, in order to be successful, REQUIRES the QB to be surrounded with elite talent. Its a backwards way of thinking.

The Dorsey argument that people are making is not apples to apples. Offenses were different 20 years ago when Dorsey was taking most of his snaps from under center.

Like you said, coaches love the steady, mature QBs. Every coach has guys they refuse to bench. And my concern is that Emory is going to end up being the guy the coaches won't give up on because they love the intangibles.

Tbh, I hope Emory doesn't red shirt this year. Otherwise, we could be stuck with him until 2028.

I completely agree with you're saying, but I sure hope you're wrong.

It just makes no sense to build an offense that, in order to be successful, REQUIRES the QB to be surrounded with elite talent. Its a backwards way of thinking.

The Dorsey argument that people are making is not apples to apples. Offenses were different 20 years ago when Dorsey was taking most of his snaps from under center.

Like you said, coaches love the steady, mature QBs. Every coach has guys they refuse to bench. And my concern is that Emory is going to end up being the guy the coaches won't give up on because they love the intangibles.

Tbh, I hope Emory doesn't red shirt this year. Otherwise, we could be stuck with him until 2028.
I'm with you.

We can't compare ourselves to Bama or UGA, but could Emory be like an AJ McCarron, Stetson Bennett, Greg McElroy type? The problem is that the rest of our roster isn't there, so we kind of do need "plus" QB play to overcome talent deficiencies elsewhere on the roster.

For a while there, I was under the impression that you needed a 1st round QB/star college QB to win in today's more offense-centric CFB. The playoffs were seemingly dominated for several years by Tua, Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, etc. But I bet you the more conservative coaches will point to Stetson Bennett and JJ McCarthy and convince themselves that they can win with a more conservative brand. (Personally, I think UGA is an outlier because their recruiting is so top-notch up and down the roster and Michigan got lucky with kind of a down year for CFB. I think Michigan would have been lapped by some of those good QBs I mentioned.)

I'm with you.

We can't compare ourselves to Bama or UGA, but could Emory be like an AJ McCarron, Stetson Bennett, Greg McElroy type? The problem is that the rest of our roster isn't there, so we kind of do need "plus" QB play to overcome talent deficiencies elsewhere on the roster.

For a while there, I was under the impression that you needed a 1st round QB/star college QB to win in today's more offense-centric CFB. The playoffs were seemingly dominated for several years by Tua, Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, etc. But I bet you the more conservative coaches will point to Stetson Bennett and JJ McCarthy and convince themselves that they can win with a more conservative brand. (Personally, I think UGA is an outlier because their recruiting is so top-notch up and down the roster and Michigan got lucky with kind of a down year for CFB. I think Michigan would have been lapped by some of those good QBs I mentioned.)
I understand your objective but Mccarthy was a 5* recruit and will likely be a top 10 pick.

I understand your objective but Mccarthy was a 5* recruit and will likely be a top 10 pick.
Agreed; but Michigan utilized him very conservatively. UGA and Mich play a far more conservative brand of football than we saw from some of the first few CFP contenders that could really sling it. I don't think the fans like it as much, but I think some coaches prefer the style closer to the NFL than some of the college offenses that were fun to watch (Oklahoma under Riley, LSU with Burrow, Lawrence, Tua, Justin Fields, etc.). I think the clock change may have slowed the pace down just a bit.

Advertisement
Agreed; but Michigan utilized him very conservatively. UGA and Mich play a far more conservative brand of football than we saw from some of the first few CFP contenders that could really sling it. I don't think the fans like it as much, but I think some coaches prefer the style closer to the NFL than some of the college offenses that were fun to watch (Oklahoma under Riley, LSU with Burrow, Lawrence, Tua, Justin Fields, etc.). I think the clock change may have slowed the pace down just a bit.
No air raid team has ever won it and I doubt they will. It comes down to having elite players on the field. The QB being elite boosts your chances but having multiple 1st rounders on the field is the tried and true formula.

This are some stupid ****** arguments in this thread based on basically zero knowledge. People arguing about who the number four quarterback is. I couldn’t get through it, sorry guys. Not just that, but the same bull**** about coaches playing favorites when 99% of the people that post here don’t know what the **** they’re talking about. Just keep fighting among yourselves and keep them agendas going. I’m scrolling on out.
I read your first sentence, then had to look at the thread title. It applies to 99% of the threads.

I'm with you.

Stetson Bennett should not be included with AJ McCarron or Greg M type.

Stetson Bennett was a playmaker. He was very athletic too. Dude could skoot, and escape pressure in the pockett. Also UGA won 2 NC's after they got Monken as OC, and became a top 10 offense nationally. They started scoring tons of points.

In those 2 years Bennett threw for nearly 7,000 yards and had 56 TD passes. He add almost 500 yards rushing and 11 TD runs. 67 total TDs in 2 years isn't a game manager. He was 2nd in the SEC in pass attempts his senior season. He had to throw UGA to victory and outduel C.J. Stroud in the playoffs. He had over 700 yards passing and 10 Total TD's in UGA playoff run in 2022.

Yea this isn’t doubt towards mario and mirabal i respect their teaching there to have it at a good enough level but i expect a step back..And a step back could still be good enough

by what objective measure are you planning to determine that if every other position-group on offense is better this season?

Advertisement
Here's the thing for me. Jacurri could be 4th backup but still see more time if they feature him on 3rd and short or 4th down inches type of play.

The minute Jacurri went out and did that podcast his days at Miami were numbered. Just really poor form to go out and call out the staff for leveling up the QB position when he's had two seasons to go stake his claim and didnt
I mean he's not wrong ..Mario and the staff should have known this from the jump. I give the staff grace because of the hype he had when Mario got here. He stood behind his QB like every coach should. but mid way through the season, the failure to recognize that tvd is a poor player and poor leader was like infecting our team with cancer and having tvd on the team last year esp starting was a huge eye opener.

Thankfully we have Cam Ward and just hoping after were done winning this year, he will set the standard for our culture and winning and the blue print for the other qbs we get the following years etc
The minute Jacurri went out and did that podcast his days at Miami were numbered. Just really poor form to go out and call out the staff for leveling up the QB position when he's had two seasons to go stake his claim and didnt

I mean what if a team convinces Poff he could start for a team this year and enters the Portal? Imagine being 1 play away from Emory being the Starter. Emory isnt good enough right nor do I think he’ll ever be good enough to be the starting QB for a team who has playoff aspirations.
Lmao now our doomsday scenario not only includes Ward being out injured but Poff being convinced to portal? This is lunacy…

If this happens you’re kind of screwed or get lucky that the rest of the team is good enough to pull you up. See Cardale Jones and Suckeyes!!

Advertisement
I have to agree that the clock change really changed the college game

****, I thought it healed. Now I'm finding out the **** thing fell off?
@JamesQuall
permit patty calling the police GIF

Advertisement
Not true. He also didn’t respond to my post after his.

because it was nonsense.

listen, feel free to wake up on Sunday morning, and go watch bad theatre led by a pedophile in a dress. when he stands on the stage leading the audience in chants to the imaginary friend in the sky, by all means, have at it. to each his own. (no offense).

but all that has as much utility to the study of quantum physics as a **** does to making a cheesecake

Advertisement
Back