Analyzing the backup QB battle

Advertisement
Hi. If Cam Ward goes down at any point this season, we are F-ed. Goodbye.
That is true of most teams, as experienced, ready to lead QBs don't stick around and wait in a backup role these days. They transfer elsewhere to start. With Poff as our QB2, I'd argue we are in a better position than most, as he is talented and experienced, but coming up from D2, which is better than some young, talented recruit with no experience.

Lionel Richie Hello GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
I feel like we'll barely see Jacurri in the spring game. Like he'll come out for one drive with the 3s and run all over the walk-ons. Then, we'll be in here debating why he was so low on the depth chart, and Luke will be on X calling it racism. An ugly scene.

Poff is not only insurance for Ward but also ensures we don't have to see Emory this year unless something cataclysmic happens. The staff clearly wants to develop Emory and Poff and let's be real, there was zero chance Jacurri was going to stick around for a 3rd year in the program just to have to compete once again to be the starter this time next year, with no guarantees. I truly respect him for sticking around for the bowl game and until the QB situation sorted itself out, but he was likely always going to leave in the spring window anyways.

You can make the case he's a better option than Emory but he's not opening the season ahead of a QB that was one of the most prolific offensive players in FCS this past season, competition be damned.

I also think the staff can now hedge on their 2025 QB plan, whether that's go with a QB in their system (Poff, Emory) or go out and grab another top portal arm.

Advertisement
I feel like we'll barely see Jacurri in the spring game. Like he'll come out for one drive with the 3s and run all over the walk-ons. Then, we'll be in here debating why he was so low on the depth chart, and Luke will be on X calling it racism. An ugly scene.
Fed by Streeter and his crew....

He's been in a twitter space the past hour arguing about it again.... Some other locals are trying to talk reason to him but .....

"Read between the lines....." " It's a business decision.... They don't want him here"

There are a few who are intent on making this a hot button issue...

Last edited:
Poff is not only insurance for Ward but also ensures we don't have to see Emory this year unless something cataclysmic happens. The staff clearly wants to develop Emory and Poff and let's be real, there was zero chance Jacurri was going to stick around for a 3rd year in the program just to have a chance to once again compete to be the starter this time next year, with no guarantees.

You can make the case he's a better option than Emory but he's not opening the season ahead of a QB that was the most prolific offensive player in FCS this past season, competition be damned.

I also think the staff can now hedge on their 2025 QB plan, whether that's go with a QB in their system (Poff, Emory) or go out and grab another top portal arm.
I don't remember who it was - Gaby or Lake- but they were asked about the QB position and said they believed they would take 2

Ever? We beat Clemson who has destroyed us over the years, even to the point where it was unbearable to watch after halftime. Same with FSU, he kept us in the game. While he was not perfect by any means, we still had drops and pretty ridiculous calls. True freshman starting his second game arguably against our arch enemy in FSU on the road and keeping us in the game. No one knows the outcome if he didn't get hurt getting that first down when he got injured. But he kept us in the game and gave us a chance.

Like I asked in my other reply, would anyone here have pulled him in either game? ? ?

EW may not be the answer, but to start as a true freshman against those two teams that have crushed us for a long time and get no credit is baffling. After Clemson, he should have been allowed to at least start the next game, if not both leading up to FSU. I am also inclined to say we probably do not make a bowl game if EW did not start against Clemson.

JB is a supreme athlete but his mechanics need work, even though he has had a few years in the program. Rutgers game showed that he has not improved in the areas he needs to. He would be so dangerous if he improved his throwing. He has everything else but as a qb you cant consistently miss throws that should be completed. I wish him the best whether he becomes a starter here or somewhere else. Team player and a great individual. Even seems like him and EW are good friends.

Problem last year was Mario’s assnine decision not to give Emory any real time experience in the previous games and then throwing him in Tally

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fed by Streeter and his crew....

He's been in a twitter space the past hour arguing about it again.... Some other locals are trying to talk reason to him but .....

"Read between the lines....." " It's a business decision.... They don't want him here"

There are a few who are intent on making this a hot button issue...
NB: Our starting QB is black.

Racism issue over who the third string QB should be? I doubt it. Plus Luke only seems to get butthurt when it's a local kid he has some kind of connection to. Jacurri is from GA.

Advertisement
Back