Analyzing the backup QB battle

View as article
Think people are underrating how much of a step back our interior oline could take with lee and cohen gone. I know for sure lee is way better than carpenter, gotta see who starts at lg but it’s probably a first time starter

I don't believe Mario and Mirabal will allow that. The talent-level and product on the field will be better each year until we reach a certain competitive standard, come **** or high water

I expect a jump this year and another one next year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Think people are underrating how much of a step back our interior oline could take with lee and cohen gone. I know for sure lee is way better than carpenter, gotta see who starts at lg but it’s probably a first time starter
Hmm, Idk as a Whole I think our OLine probably will actually "grade" higher. I agree Lee to Carpenter will almost certainly be a dropoff. Wehther or not we improve in run blocking will be the key factor. BUT,

- RT WILL improve. Mauigoa wasn't great in pass protection last year, and had quite a few bad penalties. He was really good for a True Frosh of course, but that still leaves a lot. He's ultra talented, and I expect RT to potentially be our most improved position on the OLine this year, just from his development.
- RG is similar to RT, which I view as a position that is almost guaranteed to improve with Anez Cooper entering his 3rd year... just I don't expect nearly as large of an improvement. I'd expect a solid improvement.
- LG I agree could be viewed as the biggest question mark given we will have a first time starter, BUT Cohen was actually PFFs lowest graded Olineman for us by a large margin I believe. And Samson has a **** load of talent. Again Personally I'd have put Samson at LT and moved Rivers to LG, but I feel pretty confident Samson will do well right off the bat in pass pro. May struggle moving big DTs in the run game a bit - but so did Cohen lol. So yeah this position is probably the one that'll be the deciding factor in whether the OLine as a whole is better or worse. But I'd say it's absolutely possible maybe even likely we get better performance out of LG this year than last year.
- Potentially most importantly, I'd expect a big improvement out of our 6th OLineman/depth for injuries as well when McCoy and/or Kinsler or even Rodriguez comes in. And I think if any injuries occur I still think we are set up better than last year because of the further development out of our young guys.

SO yeah, Center is the spot that is likely to have a decent dropoff going from Lee to Carpenter. But it may not result in a worse OLine as a whole. I think theres actually a good chance we are better. Actually a really good chance if we improve a lot in run blocking. Cam Ward will signficantly help our OLine for pass blocking. So if we can improve our Run blocking, This could serve as a big improvement still.

For some reason, Emory has a very low crouching stance. It impedes his quickness... hope someone can help him correct it..
Yeah it’s an odd one, I had thought he did that in the games he started last year out of nervousness. It reminds me of a basketball shooter who when on a catch and shoot is too wide in their base and thus destined to end up short of where they would have with their legs underneath them.

Disclaimer: Not a QB/basketball corch

Personally I'm not going to write a QB off based on his true freshman season he was never supposed to see action in, and the two programs he had to go against were Clemson and FSU lol. Especially when most of the compliments he gets are between the ears. He's absolutely the kind of QB that could end up starting his RS JR/SR year and not look out of place. Maybe he wouldn't be a stud, but could win games. .... or he could just never be good. TBD, but I'm not going to say Emory has no shot, like I'll say Jacurri has no shot. Doubtful maybe. I expect Poff to easily win the job next year, and I expect Nickel to be good. But who knows. May get a transfer for 2026...
this is fair, got np with the way u see it

I’m not worried with Ward it’ll help keep the boxes light. The Vets will help the new guys who have talent along with Mirabol and Mario making sure they get it. Lee may be better than Carp but he’s also older and stronger so he brings some things to the table. I’m most worried about RB IMO

Advertisement
Cristobal has a history of not understanding QB position anyone with eyes and a brain knows Jacurri is the better QB period. Emory has no arm, he isn’t mobile. This is football 2023 you need a mobile QB. Jacurri has the big arm and is mobile and with a running game behind this line we would be unstoppable. Think Tebow. D$ I respect you to much, but stop spinning this bag of crap. Look how Lashlee changed our offense for King and TVD. It is the OC job to build the offense around the players not the opposite. So please don’t give us the system crap too. I know you are reporting but we need to have analysis not cheerleaders. 20 years of carrying the coaches spin is why we are in this position today.
I like Jacurri man high character guy but he’s just not that good at QB yet. He’s still very raw. He has bad footwork and bad ball placement. Emory is the better player. Jacurri has legs but idk man we’ve seen him a few times and wasn’t blown away for all the hype he gets. I mean a true Frosh passed him on the depth chart like almost immediately

Nobody wanted Brown to be good more than me.

Sadly, he’s not good enough and if you’re not clearly better than Emory Williams or an FCS kid in year 3, you’re not leading a championship team in year 4.

I’m shocked he’s still here, to be frank. But he’s never going to be the dude here, for his sake he should bounce and I fully expect bim to in a couple weeks.
Patience.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I can say the same for Emory.🤷🏿‍♂️. If either of them have to lead us for a season we in trouble rn
But that Caneville quack is trying to badmouth Poff because he came from Albany, and claims JB should be QB2, which is laughable. As for Emory, he doesn't have JB's arm, but he makes better decisions with the ball and doesn't miss receivers by 5+ yards like JB is prone to doing. Neither are QB2 material at this point.

Advertisement
Back