An evidence-based review of our L vs TAMU (via images)

@LuCane watching this replay, does it seem like this offense have alot of pass plays where guys are running dead routes to just clear out for others coming underneath that "should be wide open" and gotchas for defense but ATM was ready for them for most part.. I see alot of clear out routes, posts and such where they get no looks, they dont even look for ball but either go to Mallory, Arroyo, the RB and maybe one wr on routes.

TBH, my opinion of the O play calling changed a bit after watching this.
-The series of calls I had a problem with was the 3 runs inside the 10. Other than that I can live with the rest.
We took our shots and missed them. TVD was off. Misses happen, but the miss to #5 can’t happen.
Drops happen, but the #21 drop can’t. Potential game changing plays that we didn’t execute.
-On the last play, the ball came in hot. No excuses tho. As a WR on that play, you have to expect the ball to be right in your grill as soon as you snap your head around.

This is going to be a loooooooooooooooong 3 weeks.

Advertisement
He did. TVD made bad reads, stared down his receiver, and threw wobblers. When he did make a good throw it was dropped or knocked away.

This is why I’m not going to panic yet.

This team works hard and is held accountable. Guys are rotating mistakes and just out of sync, not playing well at the same time enough.

A few more games it will click. Hopefully Gattis can be flexible enough to speed that process up.

Also,
-Nice to see us pick up some 3rd and 1’s
-To be able to run it from our 1 and not give up the safety.

Last edited:
I didn't rewatch and don't know how many Redding plays were drops or simply tough plays. However, it does seem with him that his catch rate with defenders on him is near 0%. I also recall a similar play against Bama last year. He is not a natural pass catcher so unless he's very open, he struggles, in particular if it's a contested catch.

I didn't rewatch and don't know how many Redding plays were drops or simply tough plays. However, it does seem with him that his catch rate with defenders on him is near 0%. I also recall a similar play against Bama last year. He is not a natural pass catcher so unless he's very open, he struggles, in particular if it's a contested catch.

Naw that one with Bama was an egregious pass interference no call. The guy tackled him with targeting WELL before the ball got there and it got picked.

Final score could have been a little more respectable.

Advertisement
Naw that one with Bama was an egregious pass interference no call. The guy tackled him with targeting WELL before the ball got there and it got picked.

Final score could have been a little more respectable.
You are right. My point is that his contested catch rate is really small. We got spoiled with Rambo who made a ton of tough catches last year.

(In his defense, he had a really tough catch against So Miss last week.)

You are right. My point is that his contested catch rate is really small. We got spoiled with Rambo who made a ton of tough catches last year.

(In his defense, he had a really tough catch against So Miss last week.)

He does not attack the ball the way a guy his size should.

Separation isn’t just dusting your man by five yards. It’s creating position so you can seal off the defender and give your quarterback a safe place to throw. I see “covered” guys make catches all the time this unit has to be better in this respect even with their lack of speed.

If the receivers, TVD, and Gattis can't get on the same page within the next 2 weeks we're going to be in big trouble.

Receivers getting not separation and their inability to create after the catch (if they catch the ball) is concerning. With X out, I'd like to see B. Smith (yes I know he dropped the 4th down pass) and Jacolby George get more burn. They seem to be the only ones that can get open and create plays with the ball in their hands.

I've always liked Keyshawn Smiff but for whatever reason he doesn't take over games. I think we've seen Redding is a bit heavy footed with inconsistent hands. Maybe it's time to kick the tires on Isaiah Horton?

Whatever it is, we need to get the passing game fixed quickly before ACC play.
I think the issue with Horton is he is a true freshman who already got suspended. That is textbook doghouse

View attachment 208739

- Here's the Redding 1st half drop I previously missed. It was a clear drop.

The other balls he "dropped" probably have more to do with his inability to separate, as they were broken up by defenders. But, that begs the question: why the **** are we targeting him 10 times if he's not producing sufficient separation? Guess that will be worked out in the coming weeks.
Need to see improvements rotation wise post bye week

Advertisement
7 drops official. Mario said it this morning. Said with 7 counted drops after film review they better be catching 100 balls after practice or he was going to be ****ed.
I’ve got snap shots of 5 clear ones (2 from RBs). I’m guessing they gave the other two to Redding when he got his hands on it, but the defender broke it up.

To be fair, my analysis remains incomplete. That's why I was asking for help on links and pics. Apparently, I already missed one drop. But, I think I got most of the "clear" drops.

An understated play is the 16 yard completion. Nice play. Decent chunk. Might have slipped through Key Smith's hands as he dug it out of the dirt. But, was there more to be had on that play? I don't have an All-22 view, but I'm curious what TVD saw that kept that throw low. Or, if it was just a below average toss.
I was at the game. No reason for that throw to be low. TVD was off during the game.

Advertisement
Depending on how you grade the catch, he was 0/4 on plays where he could have held on. According to my less than perfect notes, anyway.

That was a very winnable game against an overrated team and we lost in part because we played too conservative. We spotted them a td on that muffed punt. Mario was determined to run the ball, but that affected Van Dyke and the receivers from finding a rhythm. I get a Brock Berlin like vibe from Van Dyke. Berlin needed to be in the shotgun. Van Dyke was inconsistent last week until the two minute drive at the end of the half. Van Dyke was better in that fourth quarter when we started putting the ball up a more. Not great. He missed a couple, but he seemed a little better.
We threw the ball 41 times.

yeah. He got a hand on it. If that gets labeled a drop, I’m calling that a rough statistical system. Love the mentality it may instill in WRs, but not helpful for review and accountability.
That pass needed more air under it.

Advertisement
yeah. He got a hand on it. If that gets labeled a drop, I’m calling that a rough statistical system. Love the mentality it may instill in WRs, but not helpful for review and accountability.

disagree.

it may be tough, but the point of grading that way is logical. It means the ball is in the receiver's catch radius and he should be able to come down with it.

but even if it's not a drop, it still doesn't change the applicable point: we got a receiving crew that can't separate from a tortoise.

Depending on how you grade the catch, he was 0/4 on plays where he could have held on. According to my less than perfect notes, anyway.

exactly.

there's no such thing as high school open at this level. so, make the catch when the ball hits your hands.

it's unreal. we have some of the best athletes in college football at this university, who've been playing WR since they were a fetus.

and it seems like they couldn't catch the clap in a two dollar bangkok whorehouse.

All of Redding's "drops" were

Yeah, but all of His drops were with a defender draped all over Him and well short of the 1st down. It's not like Redding was dropping balls like Pope & Wiggins in the bowl game vs OSU. And when He did catch some balls, TVD threw Him into coverage, including one where the CB flipped em'. I only saw like 2 catches where Redding was 1 on 1 with a CB.

Excellent thread. Let's keep it going.

Everything we have issues with is correctable.

I thought the DL and OL played their best in a big game in a long time. I feel really good about the ACC Season in the trenches.

2021 TVD leads us to victory. The staff will get him going. We might start seeing a Georgia-type QB rotation if this lingers.

The young LBs cover ground and arrive like UM LBs. That is exciting.

As LuCane said, kudos to Ivey. He did his part.

From what I'm reading here, Mario's mantra, "How you do anything is how you do everything," probably best fits our wide receiver room. This staff will get their issues corrected or adjust, e.g., throwing to the TEs and backs more.

I love that our running backs are running downhill behind their pads. That tough inside running is a hallmark of our program.

Lots of self-inflicted wounds. We lost this game more than we were beaten.

I'm a Josh Gattis fan. Too much football know-how on our staff for us not to be able to fix our problems, including on offense.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back