An evidence-based review of our L vs TAMU (via images)

@LuCane watching this replay, does it seem like this offense have alot of pass plays where guys are running dead routes to just clear out for others coming underneath that "should be wide open" and gotchas for defense but ATM was ready for them for most part.. I see alot of clear out routes, posts and such where they get no looks, they dont even look for ball but either go to Mallory, Arroyo, the RB and maybe one wr on routes.

Advertisement
We have a three game sample size of our o line giving more than enough time for a competent QB and a competent passing attack to be effective.
Regardless of talent level it is extremely difficult to hold a Pocket for 5 seconds and yet this oline keeps doing it. Props to them.
On tv you can’t see the whole field so idk if tvd is reading it wrong or our receivers can’t get open. Possibly both.

What jimbo figured out was simple.
Fake blitz then dropp 8. He did it the entire 4th quarter
Even their freshman were covering our guys.
Sht was predictable and slow developing.
The frustration and menstruation that all these manly men keep complaining about is the fact that we can never get both units to complement each other. If the offense is clicking (lashlee) the defense sucks.
If the defense is dominating (cmr and enox era) our offense is ancient.
And the worst part is the stubbornness of whoever is coaching the side of the ball that struggles.

Advertisement
The Parrish drop in the flat was likely a TD or a long play deep I to the red zone IMO. That am the Stevenson fumble were the killers IMO. Great post 🤙
Those two were killers absolutely right. TVD had opportunities to hit Arroyo and Key (and another one to Parrish) where if he led them with a well placed ball they're taking them to the house.

We had opportunities all night and didn't execute

The fact that people think the Gattis playbook is some impossible concept is all I need to know about our fanbase. It's not a bubblegum, details don't matter system, and there's a reason why it's run by major programs. Guess what, that stuff Lashlee runs, is midmajor stuff. Name a major program that is winning at a significant level that doesn't even truly attempt to run the ball, or can't run the ball. EXACTLY. You need to be able to get short yardage, you need to be able to do something outside of chuck the ball deep.
LOL. Lash had us putting up 35+ pts and TVD 300 yards everygame. Im not saying Lash's offense was the end all be all. His running game was pathetic and passing game deadly but too simple. However SIMPLICITY works.

You take Lash's pass offense, throw in some new concepts/formations and add in Gattis run offense = WIN

Instead we threw out everything from Lash's offense including all the PROVEN plays/concepts (RPO hello) for an all new complex offense.

It doesnt have to be either or. There's a nice middle ground there.

LOL. Lash had us putting up 35+ pts and TVD 300 yards everygame. Im not saying Lash's offense was the end all be all. His running game was pathetic and passing game deadly but too simple. However SIMPLICITY works.

You take Lash's pass offense, throw in some new concepts/formations and add in Gattis run offense = WIN

Instead we threw out everything from Lash's offense including all the PROVEN plays/concepts (RPO hello) for an all new complex offense.

Remember the schools we were putting that up on? Remember how it was wildly inconsistent? Remember how the run game was an afterthought, and rarely worked? Amazing how selective memory works. Lashlee's offense had some moments, but let's not pretend that it was prime Spurrier Fun N Gun either....

My only issue with that is apparently drops are subjective. I've listened to peers tell me the Redding clear-out incompletion should be a drop (as noted in OP) and others tell me Key Smith vertical route should be a drop (he "touched" it). I don't know what the criteria is for a drop vs a poor throw, but I disagreed with them on those two plays.

Most coaches have a pretty clear metric for this:

If the receiver gets one hand on the ball, and doesn’t catch it, its a drop

If the ball hits any part of the receivers body, and he doesn’t catch it, it’s a drop.

That’s been around since i was in college, and I don’t think anything has changed much. Coach Cozza was pretty clear on this, and it stayed with him for 40+ years of coaching

Advertisement

If the ball hits any part of the receivers body, and he doesn’t catch it, it’s a drop.

That’s been around since i was in college, and I don’t think anything has changed much. Coach Cozza was pretty clear on this, and it stayed with him for 40+ years of coaching
Every coach I ever played for said the following "If you touched it, you could catch it." That said, there's some obvious caveats to that.

Would you label this pass Key Smith touched (one hand) as a drop?

overthrow on vertical route.png

Every coach I ever played for said the following "If you touched it, you could catch it." That said, there's some obvious caveats to that.
Same. But, instilling that mentality in a WR is not the same as determining it for statistical purposes. Would label the pass above a drop?

If Rodemaker or whatever his ******* name is, can throw the ball up to a giraffe and win the game, Miami should be able to figure out how to find more than 1 target for TVD to utilize … (since December)
Exactly. People act like we are trotting out 1 star receivers. There has to be a way to manufacture yards through the passing game.

I will say this tho. Recruiting focus going forward should be getting guys that can naturally catch the ball. Manny and his band of rejects recruited a bunch of guys with bad hands

Advertisement
Same. But, instilling that mentality in a WR is not the same as determining it for statistical purposes. Would label the pass above a drop?
Sometimes, you have to use some common sense. If I threw a back shoulder fade, and you slipped turning around and the ball ended up hitting you in the facemask as you are drifting away from the ball due to said slip, that's probably not a drop.

Now, in regards to the Smith play, why didn't he go for it with two hands? I asked that question watching it live, in person. If he dives with both hands extended, he has a better shot. Most coaches I played for would consider that a drop, but not an egregious one. It would be more of a "Canedude, I need you to make a better throw there", more so than a "Catch the **** ball".

Remember the schools we were putting that up on? Remember how it was wildly inconsistent? Remember how the run game was an afterthought, and rarely worked? Amazing how selective memory works. Lashlee's offense had some moments, but let's not pretend that it was prime Spurrier Fun N Gun either....
I already said Lash's run game was pathetic which is why you use Gattis run offense. But if you want to pretend like Lash's pass offense wasnt deadly for the most part and TVD was super comfortable it in, then you have selective memory my friend

As i said, ITS NOT EITHER OR, there is a middle ground between the two. I would have strongly preferred Gattis adapted what works from Lash's pass offense and built around it instead of throwing out. But here we are struggling against southern missouri and scoring 9 on a depleted A&M secondary.

This is what gave me pause on my criticism of Gattis. Overall the scheme does not fit TVD or our receivers, but he proved me wrong on being able to sustain multiple drives. (But Let’s not forget 2 targeting penalties that kept 2 drives alive.) Redzone still sucks, but the running game was great.

My biggest concern is playing from behind. The defense looked great, but I can’t remember one pass that traveled over 15 yards downfield. Everybody we play in the ACC will attack us like USM did (with much more talent), not A&M. Secondary still needs to get much better, or we will be in dogfights. IMO the small margin for error will come back to bite us again.
We threw plenty of passes 15 yards or more downfield and that was just the first half of what I have rewatched. We just didn't connect on many. Arroyo caught one, Cb came off his man and knocked it away last second on another wheel type pass to Arroyo.

We had the flea flicker that was checked down to around 15 yard gain.

We had a deep shot to corner end zone that was incomplete and had illegal man downfield. We had another sorta roll out and deep shot down sideline to K Smith where he had a step and TVD overthrew him. We also had a wheel for 15-20 down sideline to Parrish where the LB was running step for step, and imo would beat Parrish in a 40 yard dash.

Also had around a 15 yardout route to Redding on a pass wheee we had a free play because TAMU jumped.

I think with the narrative going around people would actually be surprised how many attempts traveled 15 yards or more just in first half.

We also used RPO in this game, we also spread field more than some are thinking.

Another narrative is ground and pound, and we actually came out first 2 drives throwing a lot.

I thought on 3rd drive we were establishing that run, we actually got little pass happy and got away from run.

Advertisement

Lashlee sat down with TVD and asked him what he was comfortable with.. We ran the RPO stuff to success.. Hopefully Gattis/Ponce can do the same.. I will say the plays were there to be had but execution was off so wont be surprised if we stick to it because we moved ball between 20s.

It's just the 3rd game of the season gents ..i do expect this **** to get better...also where is Ladson at? how come he cant get see the field?

If we clear out for a TE to be 1 on 1 I would love to see Jaleel in that spot. he is clearly faster and quicker than Mallory. I think Jaleel houses it. But nice post. I like the freeze frames and there are some 1 on 1 opportunities for sure. we just have to win those. and that drop by Parrish was huge

Advertisement
Back