An evidence-based review of our L vs TAMU (via images)

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Just finished a play by play game review. Not sure I'm interested in debating some of the narratives out there right now. Have seen a ton of confirmation bias as reactions and I'm trying my best to avoid the same. I *am* interested in trying to keep things to facts. Going to do my best to avoid leaps of logic and keep this to plain observations. Open to your help, too. Will focus mostly on the offense.

We gained 392 yards.
We ran 77 plays.
We averaged 5.1 yards/play. (that's around 80th in the NCAA, which lines up with about the rest of our year so far)
We were 5/14 on 3rd down conversions (that's about 36%, which is in the 70s).
We were 0/1 on 4th down conversions.

Here's what I found (click the thumbnails for larger view):

Ivey good.png

- Had to add this to a mostly "offensive" review of the game. Ivey takes a lot of heat when he's lackadaisical or his instincts fail him. He personally got us off the field twice last night. On two big 3rd downs, he played an in-breaking WR aggressively, used his long arm, and made plays. Let's keep the same energy on good and bad. He deserves credit for perhaps his best game as a Cane.

Stevenson not good.png

- Not necessarily "offense," but this PR made the list. Stevenson made an awful play here. It happens. I'm not sure why it was such a surprise. Despite his age and leadership, he made some risky punt return decisions (didn't he jump to catch one?) last week.

Parrish drop 1.png

- I contemplated making "DROPS" a thread of its own. Here's one of the two clearest and most impactful of the game. Parrish made a mistake. It happens, too. Unfortunately, this one cost us a bunch as you can see by how the field was setup. For all the gripes about Gattis' RZ playcalling and overall approach, this was one of his very slick calls.

On the DROPS TOPIC, there was another obvious one: BSmith's to end the game. Other than that, I counted Key Smith on a crossing route where TVD had two LBs blitzing and threw the ball slightly high, though it's unclear on re-watch if the pass was broken up by the DB or just bounced off Key's hands. Parrish also had a possible "drop" on the last series on an angle route, though again it may be argued as a PBU by a defender. Even if we count those, that's 4. Are people counting the 16 yard completion as a drop because Key Smith might have let it slip on that under throw? It was counted as a reception.

**Plainly, I could not collect matching data to the "6-8" drops most people are claiming on the board. If you can help me identify them, maybe we can increase substantive, fact-based discussions.**

@cway313 has identified Redding drops. I don't have video/image confirmation yet, but will correct as the info becomes available. Again, just trying to keep it 100.

1663508828808.png

- Again, not "offense," but points-related. This blocked FG hurt.

George flutter ball.png

- Without a headset or being inside the film room, difficult to fully say what the heck happened on this play. George comes across the formation on a crosser that he turns upfield (doesn't appear by design, but who knows). TVD locks in and gives the Safety ample time to get all the way across and disrupt the play. Did George get lost with the ball in the air? Should TVD have thrown George open toward the sideline? I read people called George lazy or soft on this play, and maybe that's true, but it looked like a sloppy mess if you watch the entire play closely.

bad timing.png

- Don't know who you "blame" on this, necessarily. Saw another poster mention this is on Key Smith for being "soft." Thought that was a weird accusation, as this play ended up as an incompletion Key Smith essentially never touched. TVD threw the ball before the break and the timing was just completely off. This is more about expecting TVD and Key Smith to have this rapport to throw a precise, timing-based route.

overthrow on vertical route.png

- This play design was intended for a big vertical play. Key Smith feigns the run action/block and then takes off. TVD rolls right and just misses. Yes, Key Smith "touched" the ball. Not sure if people are counting this is as drop. He literally is horizontal while diving and nips it with one hand. The ball, as the announcers noted, was not given a lot of air/touch. Whose "fault?"

For the record, let me be clear that I don't think our WRs are "good." Clearly, they're not good enough to do what we need. I just like to keep things to facts and evidence. Where they struggle MORE seems to be in creating separation or scaring defenders to provide cushion. To me, that's an unreasonable ask of a bunch of WRs of whom have maybe 1-2 speed guys. More realistically, we have to scheme them open and, if they THEN drop the ball (like the last play), they deserve the "wrath."

goal line run not an RPO.png

- A play that's been highly debated already. Some say this "designed" TVD run was a mess of a call. I saw a couple people get on other posters claiming it was an RPO and therefore a bad decision. Let's be absolutely clear, if this was an RPO, there was no pass option TVD looked at...ever. No one on the boundary side, where TVD's eyes flow to, went out for a pass. If this was an option, it was a zone read (but I don’t see the optioned defender) and TVD kept it.

clearer proof of above.png

- Here's clearer proof of the above note. On the field side (to the right), we have two receivers. TVD ends up keeping this and running to his left.

One of the biggest plays.png

- Another highly "debated" play. Some say this was a "drop" by Redding. The announcers laid the blame on the OL. Both of those perspectives, live and on re-watch, seem like reaches. This was a beautifully designed clear-out play to get Redding running free. The OL held their own for a nice few ticks here. I consider this incompletion a big miss by TVD - who could have put a tiny bit more air or just thrown a more accurate pass. This was likely a game changing play.

WR hands catchers.png

- If people want to gripe about a significant limitation of our offense beyond not having enough speed at WR, I think 1b is that our WRs often are "body catchers." While this play above may not be the perfect example because there is a closing defender (which often makes WRs shield and collect the ball with their bodies), I'm using it as an example of how little I see our WRs extend their arms and snatch the ball with their hands. I guess George does it sometimes, from what I've seen. We need more of it.

Gattis plus play call.png

- Because I'm explicitly trying to keep this factual, everyone should give Gattis credit here for the play design. Beautiful clear out to isolate Mallory on a crossing route.

My issue with the result.png

- My issue with the result is the same I said in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/elijah-arroyo-vs-tamu.179806/. And, in other places. I think these plays are better suited for Arroyo. Once Mallory out ran the out-leveraged defender (by design), he had a one on one. He couldn't win it, unfortunately, and the play's chunk got limited. Kudos to Mallory for coming back in after getting banged up. I still think this is a play we should try with the player who can more likely win an athletic matchup downfield.

more of this please.png

- Our offense will continue to be widely debated. Including in this thread, I imagine. I'm asking for more of this for TVD. This was a quick out to George, who had been given significant cushion by an inside defender. TVD apparently needs quicker throws. Talked about that after last week's game re: RPOs. This was a nice throw and gain.

not the drop.png

- This is obviously NOT an image of the drop to seal the game. Instead, this is a dink on a key 3rd down. What I didn't understand is why many posters saw this as a limitation of our WR? The ball was thrown directly into a zone defender. There wasn't anywhere to go. We had some really good man coverages busters during the game, but missed a few chances to bust zone coverages. TAMU was happy to sit there a few times and let us limit ourselves.

Ok, on to the discussion and I can give my own conclusions later.

Advertisement
Biggest issue with the receivers is not drops, it’s separation.

TVD was off…and has been all year; hence, why I said Mario should give Garcia more reps in practice so he’s ready in case TVD can’t get out of this funk. Not only is he second guessing his decisions, but his slow release amplifies that problem.

We beat ourselves with the muffed punt, blocked field goal, and some untimely penalties.

Gattis called a great game inside the 20s. Once we got into the red zone, we looked lost, though. He needs to do better.

Defense and offensive line played lights out. You can’t ask for more out of either.

Running backs were great, too. Parrish is a beast and Knighton gives us that extra twitch when the defense gets tired. They are a good one-two combo back there, so Chaney and Citizen are really going to have to earn their PT when they return.

Last edited:
Biggest issue with the receivers is not drops, it’s separation.

TVD was off…and has been all year; hence, why I said Mario should give Garcia more reps in practice so he’s ready in case TVD can’t get out of this funk. Not only is he second guessing his decisions, but his slow release amplifies that problem.

We beat ourselves with the muffed punt, blocked field goal, and some untimely penalties.

Gattis called a great game inside the 20s. Once we got into the red zone, we looked lost, though. He needs to do better.

Defense and offensive line played lights out. You can’t ask for more out of either.

Running backs were great, too. Parrish is a beast and Knighton gives us that extra twitch when the defense gets tired. They are a good one-two combo back there so Chaney and Citizen are going to really have to earn their PT when they return.
I would say the biggest issue with the WRs is that they're not fast enough (as a group) to run some of the plays we're asking. And, the combination of not getting separation and not having a clear contested catch player... is a clear limiting factor of any offense.

I didn't address it in the OP, but I thought Knighton played a solid game. Saw some posters debating that, so figured I'd give my two cents.

I would say the biggest issue with the WRs is that they're not fast enough (as a group) to run some of the plays we're asking. And, the combination of not getting separation and not having a clear contested catch player... is a clear limiting factor of any offense.

I didn't address it in the OP, but I thought Knighton played a solid game. Saw some posters debating that, so figured I'd give my two cents.
Don’t understand the Knighton debate. He clearly played well. He ran hard and was hitting the right hole for the majority of the night. His vision has been questionable in the past but not in this game.

Agree with your point about the receivers. The long-developing pass plays may not be in our best interest, even though our offensive line was giving TVD all day to throw. *Sigh*

Advertisement
Just finished a play by play game review. Not sure I'm interested in debating some of the narratives out there right now. Have seen a ton of confirmation bias as reactions and I'm trying my best to avoid the same. I *am* interested in trying to keep things to facts. Going to do my best to avoid leaps of logic and keep this to plain observations. Open to your help, too. Will focus mostly on the offense.

We gained 392 yards.
We ran 77 plays.
We averaged 5.1 yards/play. (that's around 80th in the NCAA, which lines up with about the rest of our year so far)
We were 5/14 on 3rd down conversions (that's about 36%, which is in the 70s).
We were 0/1 on 4th down conversions.

Here's what I found (click the thumbnails for larger view):

View attachment 208699

- Had to add this to a mostly "offensive" review of the game. Ivey takes a lot of heat when he's lackadaisical or his instincts fail him. He personally got us off the field twice last night. On two big 3rd downs, he played an in-breaking WR aggressively, used his long arm, and made plays. Let's keep the same energy on good and bad. He deserves credit for perhaps his best game as a Cane.

View attachment 208700

- Not necessarily "offense," but this PR made the list. Stevenson made an awful play here. It happens. I'm not sure why it was such a surprise. Despite his age and leadership, he made some risky punt return decisions (didn't he jump to catch one?) last week.

View attachment 208701

- I contemplated making "DROPS" a thread of its own. Here's one of the two clearest and most impactful of the game. Parrish made a mistake. It happens, too. Unfortunately, this one cost us a bunch as you can see by how the field was setup. For all the gripes about Gattis' RZ playcalling and overall approach, this was one of his very slick calls.

On the DROPS TOPIC, there was another obvious one: BSmith's to end the game. Other than that, I counted Key Smith on a crossing route where TVD had two LBs blitzing and threw the ball slightly high, though it's unclear on re-watch if the pass was broken up by the DB or just bounced off Key's hands. Parrish also had a possible "drop" on the last series on an angle route, though again it may be argued as a PBU by a defender. Even if we count those, that's 4. Are people counting the 16 yard completion as a drop because Key Smith might have let it slip on that under throw? It was counted as a reception.

**Plainly, I could not collect matching data to the "6-8" drops most people are claiming on the board. If you can help me identify them, maybe we can increase substantive, fact-based discussions.**

View attachment 208704

- Again, not "offense," but points-related. This blocked FG hurt.

View attachment 208705

- Without a headset or being inside the film room, difficult to fully say what the heck happened on this play. George comes across the formation on a crosser that he turns upfield (doesn't appear by design, but who knows). TVD locks in and gives the Safety ample time to get all the way across and disrupt the play. Did George get lost with the ball in the air? Should TVD have thrown George open toward the sideline? I read people called George lazy or soft on this play, and maybe that's true, but it looked like a sloppy mess if you watch the entire play closely.

View attachment 208706

- Don't know who you "blame" on this, necessarily. Saw another poster mention this is on Key Smith for being "soft." Thought that was a weird accusation, as this play ended up as an incompletion Key Smith essentially never touched. TVD threw the ball before the break and the timing was just completely off. This is more about expecting TVD and Key Smith to have this rapport to throw a precise, timing-based route.

View attachment 208707

- This play design was intended for a big vertical play. Key Smith feigns the run action/block and then takes off. TVD rolls right and just misses. Yes, Key Smith "touched" the ball. Not sure if people are counting this is as drop. He literally is horizontal while diving and nips it with one hand. The ball, as the announcers noted, was not given a lot of air/touch. Whose "fault?"

For the record, let me be clear that I don't think our WRs are "good." Clearly, they're not good enough to do what we need. I just like to keep things to facts and evidence. Where they struggle MORE seems to be in creating separation or scaring defenders to provide cushion. To me, that's an unreasonable ask of a bunch of WRs of whom have maybe 1-2 speed guys. More realistically, we have to scheme them open and, if they THEN drop the ball (like the last play), they deserve the "wrath."

View attachment 208708

- A play that's been highly debated already. Some say this "designed" TVD run was a mess of a call. I saw a couple people get on other posters claiming it was an RPO and therefore a bad decision. Let's be absolutely clear, if this was an RPO, there was no pass option TVD looked at...ever. No one on the boundary side, where TVD's eyes flow to, went out for a pass. If this was an option, it was a zone read and TVD kept it.

View attachment 208709

- Here's clearer proof of the above note. On the field side (to the right), we have two receivers. TVD ends up keeping this and running to his left.

View attachment 208710

- Another highly "debated" play. Some say this was a "drop" by Redding. The announcers laid the blame on the OL. Both of those perspectives, live and on re-watch, seem like reaches. This was a beautifully designed clear-out play to get Redding running free. The OL held their own for a nice few ticks here. I consider this incompletion a big miss by TVD - who could have put a tiny bit more air or just thrown a more accurate pass. This was likely a game changing play.

View attachment 208712

- If people want to gripe about a significant limitation of our offense beyond not having enough speed at WR, I think 1b is that our WRs often are "body catchers." While this play above may not be the perfect example because there is a closing defender (which often makes WRs shield and collect the ball with their bodies), I'm using it as an example of how little I see our WRs extend their arms and snatch the ball with their hands. I guess George does it sometimes, from what I've seen. We need more of it.

View attachment 208713

- Because I'm explicitly trying to keep this factual, everyone should give Gattis credit here for the play design. Beautiful clear out to isolate Mallory on a crossing route.

View attachment 208714

- My issue with the result is the same I said in this thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/elijah-arroyo-vs-tamu.179806/. And, in other places. I think these plays are better suited for Arroyo. Once Mallory out ran the out-leveraged defender (by design), he had a one on one. He couldn't win it, unfortunately, and the play's chunk got limited. Kudos to Mallory for coming back in after getting banged up. I still think this is a play we should try with the player who can more likely win an athletic matchup downfield.

View attachment 208715

- Our offense will continue to be widely debated. Including in this thread, I imagine. I'm asking for more of this for TVD. This was a quick out to George, who had been given significant cushion by an inside defender. TVD apparently needs quicker throws. Talked about that after last week's game re: RPOs. This was a nice throw and gain.

View attachment 208716

- This is obviously NOT an image of the drop to seal the game. Instead, this is a dink on a key 3rd down. What I didn't understand is why many posters saw this as a limitation of our WR? The ball was thrown directly into a zone defender. There wasn't anywhere to go. We had some really good man coverages busters during the game, but missed a few chances to bust zone coverages. TAMU was happy to sit there a few times and let us limit ourselves.

Ok, on to the discussion and I can give my own conclusions later.
In the first half Redding had 3 drops alone. One on crossing route over the middle. Another on an RPO slant pass. Also if you rewatch that last play to Breshard Key Smiff was wide open he made the wrong read.

Appreciate it Lu

If you told me we outrushed A&M, had 27 first downs, 1 turnover and they only scored 17 I would have been very confident in a W pregame.

I'm refraining from reading the rest of the board. No doubt everyone needs to die and we suck again.

In the first half Redding had 3 drops alone. One on crossing route over the middle. Another on an RPO slant pass. Also if you rewatch that last play to Breshard Key Smiff was wide open he made the wrong read.
I missed them, man. Can you point me closer to the play(s). I'll correct the OP. I briefly went through the each play, but I'm sure I missed something. Hence, asking for help on the drops issue.

I missed them, man. Can you point me closer to the play(s). I'll correct the OP. I kept going through the plays.
I was at the game so I will have to watch again to provide time markers.

Advertisement
TVD def missed some open guys last night. Even on that pass that Parrish dropped, you see a guy high school open behind him.

Then on the pass to Redding going across the field, that was 100 on TVD. He got his last minute but he has to deliver that ball.

Mallory isn't beating anyone 1 on 1 in the open field. Not breaking at tackle like that either

Key Smith route wasn't soft, it was ran poorly

Redding had other chances throughout the night and couldn’t make them

“The big vertical play” is the definition of not giving your guy a chance to make a play.

It was absolutely a collective effort with the Gattis, specifically in the redzone, the WRs, and Zion/Justice O on the oline that hindered the offense

Biggest issues I saw last night were the WRs not creating separation combined with their drops, TVD not being in rhythm/sync with the WRs. Also, does TVD know the offense? Just because you can operate the offense it in practice doesn’t mean ish when live bullets are flying. BTW, It took him 4 games last season to get comfortable and he had been in Lashlee offense 2 years.

I’m not giving up on a completely new staff top to bottom in game 3 of the first season. I’ve already seen improvement on the team albeit mostly on defense so far.

Agree but I’d also add that some of them are overrated by fans. Imo, 15/83/8 are mediocre yet get a lot lf PT. Brinson is decent but he’s very slight and he’s not a burner - not a good combo. That’s 4 WRs in your rotation that won’t scare opposing defenses. Add in the inconsistency of smith and you get an anemic passing game in this system.

I was at the game and don’t want to rehash what others have said (that I’ve at least seen), but what are your thoughts on TVD’s touch, or lack thereof, on shorter throws? The two I’m thinking of specifically are the last failed 4th down to Brashard and the drop by Parrish on the one he would still be running. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be caught, but a slightly softer pass makes the plays that much easier to make.

I say the above as something that doesn’t come across necessarily when watching on TV, but last night was my first live game watching in a while. Even in warmups before the game, Garcia just seems to throw a more “catchable” ball on those types of throws.

Just wondering if this struck anyone else.

Advertisement
I was at the game and don’t want to rehash what others have said (that I’ve at least seen), but what are your thoughts on TVD’s touch, or lack thereof, on shorter throws? The two I’m thinking of specifically are the last failed 4th down to Brashard and the drop by Parrish on the one he would still be running. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be caught, but a slightly softer pass makes the plays that much easier to make.

I say the above as something that doesn’t come across necessarily when watching on TV, but last night was my first live game watching in a while. Even in warmups before the game, Garcia just seems to throw a more “catchable” ball on those types of throws.

The Parrish one was very catchable - pace on the throw was fine. You can argue the BSmith drop was tough bc the ball came in hot but man, you have to make that catch.

Excellent write up. I too was confused about all the talk of drops. There were two drops all game. The one by Parrish and the last play by Smith. Everything else was not catchable.

There are two major problems on offense right now.

First, the camp reports were actually correct this year. Our WR’s can’t get separation. So this problem has been going on for weeks. What is scary is that Gattis has not figured out how to scheme them open. That is a glaring issue. But I guess maybe you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Second, suddenly Van Dyke has accuracy issues. The few times he had open guys and he needed to make a play, he missed them. I will say that last play was a great throw. But even if that catch is made we still are not winning. Sad to say, if he doesn’t show improvement then Garcia should get a look. Garcia is likely the better of the two as far as anticipating the throw. That is what is needed when guys can’t get open.

Perhaps subjective, but I think both of those are plain drops. They're on the RB and WR. I'm more concerned with TVD's timing and anticipation on other plays and maybe it's not fair, but part of it is he's held to a higher standard than WRs we know have issues. But, that part is opinion.

I'm on the hunt to find all of the WR/TE drops.

If anyone has another link to the full game, I'm in. I've jumped around so far, and certain I've missed some, as @cway313 pointed out.

Advertisement

I agree. My concern here is that this has been known since December, then again in the Spring, then again in the Summer, then Fall camp…

So, how does one digest the lack of adjustments in this key area.

We lost X this week, love him, but we did not lose: Andre Johnson, Santana, Irvin…

Please tell me your not talking about the play he got hit in the helmet and the player was ejected?

Ive rewatched first offensive drive lot of narratives debunked.

Five formations already that were spread with pretty wide splits with WR's.

4 pass attempts over 10 yards , three of which were 20 yards or further downfield.

Updated 2nd o drive already tried a deep shot on flea flicker. Thee we 2 plays later another 15 yard pass.

3rd drive we get back to running as we threw a lot on first 2 drives. After some first downs we get back to throwing. Probably should have stuck with run a little more.

Took a deep shot with Arroyo connected for big gain. Then came back took shot to end zone but had man downfield. Came right back and took another shot but ball was knocked down at LOS. Then had shorter FG blocked.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back