Amari Cooper

Lu, having seen the kid for a year now how would you say his game has evolved? Route running in particular.

I'm not Lu, but he's one of the best route runners I've seen as a freshman.

So good.

I covered this on the other thread. I still don't see a ton of variety (and ask those saying he's an astounding route runner to show me examples, for real, because I'm curious), but he's so good (explosive) at what he's being asked to do, that I can't imagine there's a need for it. As was alluded to in the comment/concern, maybe going up there was good for him. For as many times as I saw him seemingly bored in HS, he's "on" almost every ******* play @ Bama.

I've raised my hand as being off on this one anyway. I got a "hot and cold" read from him watching him play live and wanted to see evidence. People asked me to take their word for it and I said fair enough. Still had him as a top athlete and recruit (said he was top 5 in the state), but seemed like a guy who was disinterested when I saw him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lu, having seen the kid for a year now how would you say his game has evolved? Route running in particular.

So good.

I covered this on the other thread. I still don't see a ton of variety (and ask those saying he's an astounding route runner to show me examples, for real, because I'm curious), but he's so good (explosive) at what he's being asked to do, that I can't imagine there's a need for it. As was alluded to in the comment/concern, maybe going up there was good for him. For as many times as I saw him seemingly bored in HS, he's "on" almost every ****ing play @ Bama.

I've raised my hand as being off on this one anyway. I got a "hot and cold" read from him watching him play live and wanted to see evidence. People asked me to take their word for it and I said fair enough. Still had him as a top athlete and recruit (said he was top 5 in the state), but seemed like a guy who was disinterested when I saw him.

Alot of it is that Alabama ain't really progressive in the passing game. They keep it very simple. They don't really challenge the intermediate area of the field over the middle. They are like the souped version of what Tressell ran at OSU. Very little chances are taken in their offense.

So good.

I covered this on the other thread. I still don't see a ton of variety (and ask those saying he's an astounding route runner to show me examples, for real, because I'm curious), but he's so good (explosive) at what he's being asked to do, that I can't imagine there's a need for it. As was alluded to in the comment/concern, maybe going up there was good for him. For as many times as I saw him seemingly bored in HS, he's "on" almost every ******* play @ Bama.

Its hard to show on highlight tapes because they are not showing a lot of WR's from scrimmage. There are a couple in the video below but once again, not a good sample size. However, you could see it in the game last night a couple of the routes he ran were really precise. Great footwork.

[video=youtube;iQ3qQe99Rbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3qQe99Rbg[/video]

I love 99% of what Golden does on the recruiting front, but Man it hurts seeing Amari Cooper out there scoring TD's for Bama. From what I understand Golden gave Cooper an ultimatum to commit to Miami. Cooper was turned off by that and proceeded to sign with Bama. You tell that guy whatever he wants to hear, and don't give him ultimatums. He's the true #1 WR we are lacking. Hopefully, we remedy the situation by signing Coley.

From my recollection Golden was on him early and offered him first. Most Canes fans selectively forget that fact. Never heard of an ultimatum.

We lost out on a recruiting battle but it wasn't due to the fact that the staff was negligent in their evaluation or pursuit of Cooper.

Last edited:

So good.

Its hard to show on highlight tapes because they are not showing a lot of WR's from scrimmage. There are a couple in the video below but once again, not a good sample size. However, you could see it in the game last night a couple of the routes he ran were really precise. Great footwork.

[video=youtube;iQ3qQe99Rbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3qQe99Rbg[/video]

Ya, tough to judge from that kind of stuff (broken plays, etc.), as it was tough to judge from his HS highlights. The bottom line here is that, when I went to see him live, he was hot and cold and it threw me off. I'm never gonna offer my opinion based on what others are saying and only give feedback on what I see. In this case, it led me to undervalue him. It happens.

Advertisement
With all due respect to Lex (Alex), I'm not a huge fan of Amari. This isn't to the level of our Aldarius Johnson debates, but I just think he leaves a lot to be desired. I think he has skills and some nice attributes. However, I rarely watch him excel at anything more than a 9/go route. He's sloppy as **** in his route running. While he sometimes shows some wiggle to beat press coverage, he'll basically just try to go vertical or nothing. Can he improve and become polished at Alabama? Sure. I actually think he's better off over there than in Miami. Maybe he'll be hungrier and more focused in that environment.

Give me a guy like Lockhart over a guy like Cooper.

Would have been nice to have Amari too.

Advertisement

just go back to like page 4 in this thread and read my thoughts on him back in 2011.

I trusted that he would go to Tuscaloosa an start over those other bums they have at wr up there.

Cooper has BEEN a beast in the route running skill, since his soph/jr years. Dude sets up his routes, runs them as sharp as can be and knows body placement. He got some good coaching @ NW and has been playing wideout for awhile.

Cooper was the lost i HATED, because it was tooo obvious what he was. He didnt just develop there, dude was ready made. i'm just happy Artie Burns got to lock up with him everyday in practice b4 coming here.

once again, F him

COLEY IS BETTER!

MUST GET!

totally disagree about the Coley comment. Cooper looked better on tape than Coley IMO.

Cooper is already a proven commodity. Coley ain't **** until he is at the college level. ****, Lance Legget was a 5 star stud receiver too. Not saying Coley will flop, but he could. Cooper is definitely not a flop.

Cooper is a flag bearer not a foundation builder, kudos to him but I love our receivers and given our circumstances, he would of peerformed like most of them down here

Advertisement
I'm laughing my *** off at all the cb/s post.

Mine was a joke. Just saying that if he did play corner he'd be the best one we had coming off of that 2011 season.

Actually, that angle is legitimate. Saban actually considered him as a Safety. I'm not the one who knows guys on Bama's staff (who'd confirm), but another guy on here would be able to.

Advertisement
**** @gogeta4 absolutely NAILED his evaluation of Cooper on page 3. “
Amari is big time....if he goes to Bama he likely plays in front of a lot of "highly decorated" guys.......

kids a player...im with lauderdaleballer there isnt much fundamentally sound wr's in the state better than him////”

Not sure who set our program back more between Amari and Teddy. ****! Anyway, S/O @gogeta4 dude should be on the staff.

@LuCane take was terrible. lol

Amari was gonna do what he do from the jump. Anyone who saw him knew it.
I’ve always admitted this one. I saw him a couple times and he seemed disinterested. I wanted to see him at Safety. When I saw him, he did basically nada and ran the same stuff. Even in this thread, I asked for evidence, video, something. I only saw him run the same stuff and openly admitted maybe that’s all he needed to do. I wanted to see it. I’m an evidence guy. ****, I said he was better off over at Bama. Soon as I saw him evolve, I raised my hand and admitted the bad call. Have done so ever since.

*re-reading the thread, I still called the guy a top 5 player in the state, lol. I just had no evidence of the godliness in routes people talked about. Well, he showed me.

I’ve always admitted this one. I saw him a couple times and he seemed disinterested. I wanted to see him at Safety. When I saw him, he did basically nada and ran the same stuff. Even in this thread, I asked for evidence, video, something. I only saw him run the same stuff and openly admitted maybe that’s all he needed to do. I wanted to see it. I’m an evidence guy. ****, I said he was better off over at Bama. Soon as I saw him evolve, I raised my hand and admitted the bad call. Have done so ever since.

*re-reading the thread, I still called the guy a top 5 player in the state, lol. I just had no evidence of the godliness in routes people talked about. Well, he showed me.

Yea kid was a technician as a route runner early on...just like Jerry Jeudy...that wasnt Bama coaching. Those 2 came in to Bama with those route running abilities.

The thought process i got what were saying..a kid with his size and speed...being coached up at db by saban would have made it into the nfl as well.

Advertisement
Back