Amari Cooper

Yea kid was a technician as a route runner early on...just like Jerry Jeudy...that wasnt Bama coaching. Those 2 came in to Bama with those route running abilities.

The thought process i got what were saying..a kid with his size and speed...being coached up at db by saban would have made it into the nfl as well.
Yeah, I got to see Jeudy do it, and I guess I just never had the opportunity to see Cooper do it live (i only went to two games) or in his HL tape. I heard all the people telling me he was godlike in his routes. Either way, I've been eating that **** call for like a decade. I have some other pretty bad ones, too:

- thought E. Clements was going to be better and he couldn't put it together
- thought Yearby was going to be better and he was closer to his ceiling than I imagined
- thought Matthew Thomas was going to be significantly better - still unsure what happened there
- thought JoJo Nicholas could have been an NFLer, and that didn't pan out
- Isidora and Darling underperformed my expectations

And more, I'm sure.

No shortage of **** calls over here. If you're evaluating 16-18 year old kids and commenting on a lot of them in terms of degrees (for instance, I admitted everywhere Cooper was a top athlete, but hadn't seen what others were seeing), there are gonna be some ugly takes. All in the hobby.

Advertisement
Yeah, I got to see Jeudy do it, and I guess I just never had the opportunity to see Cooper do it live (i only went to two games) or in his HL tape. I heard all the people telling me he was godlike in his routes. Either way, I've been eating that **** call for like a decade. I have some other pretty bad ones, too:

- thought E. Clements was going to be better and he couldn't put it together
- thought Yearby was going to be better and he was closer to his ceiling than I imagined
- thought Matthew Thomas was going to be significantly better - still unsure what happened there
- thought JoJo Nicholas could have been an NFLer, and that didn't pan out
- Isidora and Darling underperformed my expectations

And more, I'm sure.

No shortage of **** calls over here. If you're evaluating 16-18 year old kids and commenting on a lot of them in terms of degrees (for instance, I admitted everywhere Cooper was a top athlete, but hadn't seen what others were seeing), there are gonna be some ugly takes. All in the hobby.

Not Half bad.

Yearby was a good college player, almost had a 1k season. He is what he would be...he messed up in leaving early should have honestly transferred out and been a focal point somewhere for a sr season.

-Matt Thomas was coached up at FSU. Thats what happened. Dont know of there guys that they are putting into the league at a high clip...also think he was misused a bit and could of been used on the edge more there.

Isadora is still in the NFL currently and was starting for dolphins before injury. Was in a good ol group at minnesota and couldnt crack the rotation. He is back working out last i seen since the pandemic. He is a friend of the family. I think he played well.

With all due respect to Lex (Alex), I'm not a huge fan of Amari. This isn't to the level of our Aldarius Johnson debates, but I just think he leaves a lot to be desired. I think he has skills and some nice attributes. However, I rarely watch him excel at anything more than a 9/go route. He's sloppy as **** in his route running. While he sometimes shows some wiggle to beat press coverage, he'll basically just try to go vertical or nothing. Can he improve and become polished at Alabama? Sure. I actually think he's better off over there than in Miami. Maybe he'll be hungrier and more focused in that environment.

Give me a guy like Lockhart over a guy like Cooper.
This aged BADLY 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This aged BADLY 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yes, it's been covered extensively above. And, in subsequent posts. Bad call based on what I had seen at the time. Read all the posts so you can see I also called him a top player in the state at the time, but hadn't seen the godliness others were preaching when the kid was 17 years old. So the nuance of what I was arguing is important. Bad call nonetheless and I've owned it.

Advertisement
Yes, it's been covered extensively above. And, in subsequent posts. Bad call based on what I had seen at the time. Read all the posts so you can see I also called him a top player in the state at the time, but hadn't seen the godliness others were preaching when the kid was 17 years old. So the nuance of what I was arguing is important. Bad call nonetheless and I've owned it.
Lol nah I wasn't trying to clown you bro. It was just funny seeing people's opinions from 9 years ago vs now

Resurrecting these threads kinda seems like a bltch move, but at least it reinforced to me to always pay attention to @gogeta4 evals...thats what I call performance in evaluations
I think it’s fun. The ‘gotcha’ guys rarely put their opinions on the line, so it’s whatever. There are good and bad opinions from almost all posters, if you start to search. Especially from the people who actually give an opinion or projection on prospects or what’s gonna happen on the field.

btw, if you notice the post most are trying to clown, it’s a response with an older poster who we used to go back and forth on WRs. He was a HUGE Aldarius Johnson fan and I thought he was overrated for a few reasons. So I mentioned how this wasnt to that level, but I had no evidence of 17 year old Amari doing all the crazy stuff he and others would tell me he did. Bc it wasn’t on the HL film and Amari didn’t do it when I went to watch him. Got it wrong, obviously.

The debates on old Canestime boards were even more intense and dudes actually took stances on players/predictions. Put it this way, even guys who coach some of these players can’t project them sometimes or coaches can’t predict how their team will perform.

That’s what makes this so entertaining.

Gogeta’s my dude, though. Absolute credit his way and for a long time. Especially OL/DL perspectives, which are usually the most difficult.

Advertisement
**** @LuCane needs to just take the L and avoid the backtracking
What backtracking? That’s the type of commentary I think is funny. Read the posts. I’ve taken the L multiple times over the years. And, provided context to everything I said then. If you can show me where I’m backtracking, I’ll gladly apologize. Otherwise, I’ll maintain how I gave my opinion and how it was a bad call - the definition of owning it.

For real though, who didn’t think Lockhart was going to be a BEAST after that highlight tape. Would have been a stud safety too. Or so I thought.

Advertisement
What backtracking? That’s the type of commentary I think is funny. Read the posts. I’ve taken the L multiple times over the years. And, provided context to everything I said then. If you can show me where I’m backtracking, I’ll gladly apologize. Otherwise, I’ll maintain how I gave my opinion and how it was a bad call - the definition of owning it.
We don’t need context to your opinions over time. You were flat out wrong about the player from the get go.

Anything more than “**** I was off on this one... notes taken for the future” should be the extent

I think it’s fun. The ‘gotcha’ guys rarely put their opinions on the line, so it’s whatever. There are good and bad opinions from almost all posters, if you start to search. Especially from the people who actually give an opinion or projection on prospects or what’s gonna happen on the field.

btw, if you notice the post most are trying to clown, it’s a response with an older poster who we used to go back and forth on WRs. He was a HUGE Aldarius Johnson fan and I thought he was overrated for a few reasons. So I mentioned how this wasnt to that level, but I had no evidence of 17 year old Amari doing all the crazy stuff he and others would tell me he did. Bc it wasn’t on the HL film and Amari didn’t do it when I went to watch him.

The debates on old Canestime boards were even more intense and dudes actually took stances on players/predictions. Put it this way, even guys who coach some of these players can’t project them sometimes or coaches can’t predict how their team will perform.

That’s what makes this so entertaining.

Gogeta’s my dude, though. Absolute credit his way and for a long time. Especially OL/DL perspectives, which are usually the most difficult.

The thing about @gogeta4 is he sees a lot of these guys in person at camps, in games, and so forth, and he’s experienced and he’s a coach, so it makes sense.

Personally, I don’t think it’s any big deal for most posters to be right or wrong on a prospect, because that’s what this board is about. There’s never any foolproof projection, because that’s a big step from HS to college, not just physically, but psychologically, so if coaches can be wrong sometimes, none of them bat a thousand, no big deal for us to be wrong...and I’m the last one to rag somebody because I’m not a big highlights watcher...I just count on the people here while hoping the latest batch of coaches know what the fūck they’re doing.

As far as the resurrection of old posts, I can’t lie, I’m not a big fan of that kind of gotcha approach, it just seems kind of petty and vindictive to me, unless there’s some high comedy value, and most of the time there isn’t. But I guess that’s just me, and to each his own I suppose

We don’t need context to your opinions over time. You were flat out wrong about the player from the get go.

Anything more than “**** I was off on this one... notes taken for the future” should be the extent
Funny guy. People are @ing me and I’m responding and owning each one. As I’ve always done. Telling me what to respond? Ha. You’re confused. I’ve said way more than ‘**** I was off’ multiple times.

Advertisement
Funny guy. People are @ing me and I’m responding and owning each one. As I’ve always done. Telling me what to respond? Ha. You’re confused. I’ve said way more than ‘**** I was off’ multiple times.
You made a call, put it out there, you won some and lost some. Your crystal ball is just like everyone else’s. I like people who make a call. All good in my book. I generally have a pretty good track record with college kids who I think will be better pro players and they go to the NHL and they generally are better pros. Flip side example... I never thought Cam Atkinson would be a kid who would crack an NHL lineup and he dumped 50 in two years ago. Waaaay off. I saw him play all the time in college. Was so wrong about him. I am happy I was wrong, Avon Old Farms kid and a BC kid.

@LuCane is one of the dudes whose opinions i follow on here, and part of the reason i joined the board. I saw the quality posters from grassy moved over and came along for the ride.

where is @Larry and there was the guy that took pictures. Man this board has became the GOAT. We need Petey back more so...because that jit woas sticking his neck out on evals and....
giphy.gif

@LuCane is one of the dudes whose opinions i follow on here, and part of the reason i joined the board. I saw the quality posters from grassy moved over and came along for the ride.

where is @Larry and there was the guy that took pictures. Man this board has became the GOAT. We need Petey back more so...because that jit woas sticking his neck out on evals and....
giphy.gif
Don't get Larry back on this because, IIRC over a handful of threads, he was closer to me on the Amari perspective of him being a great athlete (everyone admitted that), but not being the all-world WR Bakas and Lex (and apparently you) thought he was. Ya'll were right. We missed the boat.

Larry loved him some football, man. I still am unsure how he dropped the boards cold turkey and wonder if he's here under another name.

Advertisement
Back