Alvin Mathis senior tape

His speed is not horrible. You have to keep in mind whenever a kid is the man on his team - he probably tired af. Same with the game I watched of Flagg. He was on the field all game and looked slow because he was gassed. These boys will be fine after some S&C.
Lol no flagg is just slow. Has nothing to do with being tired.

Advertisement
Finally watched his film. It’s not as bad as people are making it seem. Perhaps because people have convinced themselves it’s him or Hypo. Idk.

I do know this guy tackles and does a good job getting through traffic. His speed didn’t look all that bad on the fake punt 🤷🏾‍♂️. And he’s bigger than I thought. He’s consistently going side ways instead of downhill which tells me that is what he is being coached to do. Scrape.

He's going to look different in our scheme going more down hill. He had some nice plays on the film when he did actually attack down hill. I bet that’s where Manny’s head is at. He has intangibles that can be coached up.

Thou shall not make sense.

I dont know about the big 3...i know the only game Um was at was that BTW game. And in that game....it was tough for any LBs to make plays.

Dont put down having a regular job either...one of our evaluaters was a bartender recently. Manny was an intern at ESPN.

FSU had their 3 lbs committed...and Uf got Wingo from here not sure who there taking...Basing it off of the BIG 3 evaluated stuff doesnt mean much. Flat out Mathis is committed to us...he isnt as good as Hyppolite i can say that pretty easily.
You do realize that this was over a decade ago right? You know people get a little off track, find their way again, and make it right? I think this is a played out narrative by a lot of staff haters.

That same bartender has recruited well (were just more in our feels about who he misses that his gets) and has coached up his position group well for 4 years. Everyone who drops the bartender thing is just a bitter hater....

IT HAS ALREADY BEEN POSTED. Go check his thread.

Like i said i dont know what they look for in their LBS..so its hard for me to get a read on that position in recruiting
Wasn't easy, but i found it. Thank you Prop. ONly thing Hyppo has is speed and explosiveness.....but those are 2 very big and important factors IMO.

Prop hasn't question....if Hyppo is so great why are more bigger name schools not on him? Panhandle school is a mess at that position and they have no interest, gata doesn't seem to have interest, and even the tier 2 Power 5 schools don't seem to be knocking on his door hard. What are we missing here Prop?

You do realize that this was over a decade ago right? You know people get a little off track, find their way again, and make it right? I think this is a played out narrative by a lot of staff haters.

That same bartender has recruited well (were just more in our feels about who he misses that his gets) and has coached up his position group well for 4 years. Everyone who drops the bartender thing is just a bitter hater....

I am a Banda defender and even I make the bartender joke from time to time. Its funny. lol.

Banda doesn't have to prove anything to anyone on CIS anymore. His track record speaks for itself. Anyone who doesn't see that, just plain doesn't like the guy for personal reasons. He is a good coach and he can recruit. Yeah he has missed on some guys but the same people who get angry with him for missing on top safetys are the same group of people who say we are at a disadvantage because we don't drop bags. He can't win either way. That said, GHall, BBolden, and Keontra Smith are all elite talents at safety. He will be just fine.

Advertisement
The "Mathis over Hypollite" and "Daz over Flemming" argument is getting old at this point. The staff made their choices and that's that. Both threads are starting to become repetitive talking about the same points over and over. We all agree on one thing, the staff better be right with these evaluations because Hypollite and Fleming have the potential to both become stars.

That said, no one should be complaining about getting Daz. He is a stud. I like Flemming too but Daz can hold his own in this argument. Mathis on the other hand is another story. But we just have to trust Manny and Baker on this.

I think it's fair to say this staff has no idea how to recruit LBs.
Quaterman, Pinckney and McCloud were already commited when Manny took over, now we have even less respectable guys evaluating the position (Patke and Baker). On top of that our LBs are having an uneven season, it's concerning.

He's more like a less athletic McCloud.
JFC this is triggering. McCloud looked boderline unplayable in 2017 and 2018.

And i know why they would say that....because i was at the game they came to see.....
If they had any idea to evaluate foreal and knew who was playing they would have known it wouldnt be much to ealuate in that 1....It was against BTW....Who run on offense a sort of an Air Raid system...not much MLB gonna have a ton of plays against them...where they dont run the ball alot and get the ball out extremely quick in the pass game.

It jives with what i been saying that they have guys ahead on their board for whatever reason.

are you aware that LB’s have to make plays in the passing game?

him looking like trash against Booker T didn’t have anything to do with their offense & everything to do with HIM..period.

As of this summer @Tee3000 said this cat has all the tools to be good, just needs to put it together. He’s seen him live and I trust his eyes and opinion over a lot of other people.

thesdudes are pretty clueless & have no iota of how to evaluate tape.

this kids tape is showing him making plays on all three levels consistently..passing game, running game & making plays from the DL. Sheds blocks violently & did this all at a new school in a new scheme.

these MFers wouldnt know WTF they were talking about

Advertisement
Yeah Pickney and Shaq were amazing in the passing game coming out of high school.

I don’t even know WTF this stupid a$$ **** is supposed to mean.

Please write a fully coherent sentence if you’re taking a shot at me.

I think it's fair to say this staff has no idea how to recruit LBs.
Quaterman, Pinckney and McCloud were already commited when Manny took over, now we have even less respectable guys evaluating the position (Patke and Baker). On top of that our LBs are having an uneven season, it's concerning.

JFC this is triggering. McCloud looked boderline unplayable in 2017 and 2018.

Soooooo...we aren't going to give them credit for Brooks and Huff who most posters on here think could be the best set of LBs we have had here in decades?

Steed was a board favorite out of HS. So was Jennings.

Lets not get too carried away here.

Soooooo...we aren't going to give them credit for Brooks and Huff who most posters on here think could be the best set of LBs we have had here in decades?

Steed was a board favorite out of HS. So was Jennings.

Lets not get too carried away here.
Potential is nice, but Diaz LBs haven't played yet, Brooks couldn't play over a WO. We do have high expectations for him and Huff, so we'll see. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I was probably too strong on having no idea how to recruit, but I'm not sold at all

Advertisement
I don’t even know WTF this stupid a$$ **** is supposed to mean.

Please write a fully coherent sentence if you’re taking a shot at me.
Sounds like u need to go back to school because the sentence was quite clear. I mean a simple comma after "yeah" would have made the sentence grammatically correct. The fact that you couldn't figure out what I was trying to say is kinda of sad. You most be old as **** since, you were not be able to comprehend what I was typing; this is not a literature class, it's a forum and people write incomplete and grammatically incorrect sentences quite often.

I made sure to proofread to make it easier for you to understand.

If we land Greene or Hyppolite, then no problem with keeping AJ in this class, if they don't then they're gonna need a Grad Transfer LB for depth, because AJ is a developmental player that will no longer be an EE & will not be ready to contribute til at least his Red Soph season.

He's a physical specimen that I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops once in the S&C program, but there's some areas of his game that need serious improvement before he can be depended on to hit the field.

Tirek Austin-Cave is going to be star, great eval by the staff, but this kid they're taking a total flyer on, he's a productive tackler & shows some ability but his deficiencies are a bit concerning. I was one of the few that actually liked this kid when he was at Pinellas Park, maybe it's the system at Largo but I feel his Junior tape looked better.

Either way, it is what it is... Also, for anybody that has made the "if Hyppolite was so good how come only Maryland is after him" argument, you can't justifiably say that while being okay with us taking Mathis... He's slower, ranked lower, less instinctual, not as game ready day 1 & isn't being pursued by anybody else at all lol.

Again, don't have a problem with the take, but let's not act like this isn't a questionable one by Baker/Patke.

yes. agreed.

the problem is that we never really know what the eval looks like, unless you have access to the staff memos and are sitting in on the meetings. is there something they see in mathis that gets them excited? apparently, but other than hidden upside, as you noted, i'm not seeing it.

To me Hypolite is better and I think everyone can agree which is why I keep asking whats going on with Hyppolite? There HAS to be something else. Uf only has 1 linebacker committed in Derek Wingo and they still arent going after him. FSU thinks Mccluster, Dix and Greene are all better takes. Im watching Hyppolite and saying this guys is a stud he just pops out on film yet no one in the big 3 seems to want him that bad. Why? Most confusing player in the cycle. Is it grades? Is it that he only measure in at 5'11 in February? Is it that teams feel he is maxed out physically? Has to be something.

having seen this movie many times, i can tell you that with the circumstances as you've laid out, 99% of the time, it means something "off the field" is giving schools serious pause.

Advertisement
are you aware that LB’s have to make plays in the passing game?

him looking like trash against Booker T didn’t have anything to do with their offense & everything to do with HIM..period.

Were you at the game?.

What he gonna do to stop 70 yd bombs on corners?.

Lol dude runs **** near a 4.4. He can cover if need be. He didnt look like "trash" against them...just watched the film again...there were literally maybe 2-3 plays all game he couldve made against them.
It would be a shame what Booker T would do Mathis or Flagg. Theyve been doing this for years...they are in 4 or 5 wide all game...and getting the ball out. Its a reason they run roughshod over people most years.

They would beat the f out of almost all the teams out yall way 2..lol

But to really evaluate a middle line backer vs an air raid team alone is kind of fu fu. There was really nothing to evaluate on him in that game really and they didnt come to see any other game.

Were you at the game?.

What he gonna do to stop 70 yd bombs on corners?.

Lol dude runs **** near a 4.4. He can cover if need be. He didnt look like "trash" against them...just watched the film again...there were literally maybe 2-3 plays all game he couldve made against them.
It would be a shame what Booker T would do Mathis or Flagg. Theyve been doing this for years...they are in 4 or 5 wide all game...and getting the ball out. Its a reason they run roughshod over people most years.

They would beat the f out of almost all the teams out yall way 2..lol

But to really evaluate a middle line backer vs an air raid team alone is kind of fu fu. There was really nothing to evaluate on him in that game really and they didnt come to see any other game.

Didn’t need to be..imho your assessment was asinine & trash. The defensive passing game is an integral part of a LB’s game especially with how much teams pass in this era.

& they wouldn’t beat Armwood, Lakeland, lake Gibson, Gaither, or Jesuit. & stop trying to make some **** personal, I’m from Lauderdale (born & raised) so save all that slick rap.

Last edited:
having seen this movie many times, i can tell you that with the circumstances as you've laid out, 99% of the time, it means something "off the field" is giving schools serious pause.

Kid is an early enrolle. One of the best
Didn’t need to be..imho your assessment was asinine & trash. The defensive passing game is an integral part of a LB’s game especially with how much teams pass in this era.

& they wouldn’t beat Armwood, Lakeland, lake Gibson, Gaither, or Jesuit. & stop trying to make some **** personal, I’m from Lauderdale (born & raised) so save all that slick rap.

You really dont think BTW would beat Jesuit, Gaither, Lake Gibson??. Armwood and Lakeland would atleast be games. This watered down version ( Alot of their star players transferred out) of btw would run roughshod over the teams listed...Armwood and Lakeland would be competitive. The only team that pushed em around was IMG. And like i said they are in 4-5 wide all game...if you dont have 3 legit div 1- fcs level Dbs then kiss the baby...game will be over. The best db on Armwood...is a HOLLYWOOD boy from down here ( i grew up with his dad who also went to Mcarthur)....and he likely would be food for Jacorey Brooks.

Again though...you dont know the defensive scheme Mcarthur ran to say he couldve made a ton of plays in that game. He essentialy was lined up in the A gap and sent on a lot of blitzes that had no chance of getting there with how quick BTW got the ball out. He can cover better than like 90% of high school linebackers for the simple fact he runs a 4.5 40. Kid understands coverages real well also.

Your from Lauderdale...not Hollywood. Watch ya mouth lol.

Advertisement
Back