Alvin Mathis senior tape

That's a great size for a college LB. I don't know what's going on with Hypolite's recruitment - if he has interest (and by the sounds of it he does as he keeps coming to games) we should be all over him.

I'd love to know why we're not.
I asked Ivins and he responded by saying that he doesnt think the in person evaluation of Hyppolite matches the tape. Says all big 3 schools have sent coaches to see him live and none seem to have been impressed.

Advertisement
Interesting that everyone on the board seems to believe this guy isn’t as talented at Hyppolite. Sometimes I wonder what percentage of
this board actually knows how to evaluate tape (or even watches it) compared to those that are just sheep following the herd.

i don't agree w/ this idea that hyppolite and mathis play the same position. mathis looks like a tweener whose position will ultimately depend on how he develops physically, whereas hyppolite is obviously a LB in manny's system. to me it looks like they've chosen austin-cave and flagg over hyppolite and mathis is in a different category, more of a patrick joyner-like take than anything.

Advertisement
Tape is extremely underwhelming. With that being said he has a strong offer list or at least did at one time.

Interesting that everyone on the board seems to believe this guy isn’t as talented at Hyppolite. Sometimes I wonder what percentage of
this board actually knows how to evaluate tape (or even watches it) compared to those that are just sheep following the herd.
The recruiting services agree as well... Hyppolite is significantly ranked higher than Mathis.

Not saying that rankings are perfect because they're not, but people aren't pulling it out of thin air that one is better than the other. It's a questionable take by Baker & Patke, doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's not like Mathis is some slam dunk consensus can't miss 4-star LB.

They may be proven right if they can figure out how to develop the kid, but to act as if everybody else is just stupid for not being in lockstep agreement with this eval is just silly.

I believe the staff wants Greene before they decide if they'll make a move on Hyppolite or not & if they believe they can get Flowe it makes sense why they're not pulling the trigger yet. Now will they get either of those kids remains to be seen, but thats usually how they operate in that they shoot for the stars & if/when they miss then go after the other prospects they had lower on their board.

Advertisement
usually this staff prizes aggression and violence when hitting the runner, which mathis' tape does not show. so they must really like his measurables and potential.

AhQTxgg.png

GkZ7b4w.png

giphy.gif

Advertisement
We recruited Mathis to get his teammate who committed to FSU but has since decommitted. This kid should he evaluated again because I don’t see it on the film.

Advertisement
I asked Ivins and he responded by saying that he doesnt think the in person evaluation of Hyppolite matches the tape. Says all big 3 schools have sent coaches to see him live and none seem to have been impressed.

And i know why they would say that....because i was at the game they came to see.....
If they had any idea to evaluate foreal and knew who was playing they would have known it wouldnt be much to ealuate in that 1....It was against BTW....Who run on offense a sort of an Air Raid system...not much MLB gonna have a ton of plays against them...where they dont run the ball alot and get the ball out extremely quick in the pass game.

It jives with what i been saying that they have guys ahead on their board for whatever reason.

Meh. I think he could be solid in a few years he just lacks explosion in terms of acceleration and in terms of his tackling. I don’t see him being a starter and he may not need to. Could be a solid Mike Smith type for his 4th and 5th year.

Cave is a future starter and I see him being an all conference type. Flagg probably starts at some point just because of football IQ. I don’t see Mathis ever surpassing Brooks or Huff and it’ll make it that much harder if we follow up this class with a solid LB class in 2021 and there’s a ton in south Florida next year.

And i know why they would say that....because i was at the game they came to see.....
If they had any idea to evaluate foreal and knew who was playing they would have known it wouldnt be much to ealuate in that 1....It was against BTW....Who run on offense a sort of an Air Raid system...not much MLB gonna have a ton of plays against them...where they dont run the ball alot and get the ball out extremely quick in the pass game.

It jives with what i been saying that they have guys ahead on their board for whatever reason.
So you believe that all 3 Florida schools are making a mistake because all 3 only evaluated him against Booker T? That doesn’t make sense. I am not taking a position as to who is better. The fact is I am less qualified than a college coach to make that decision, and I have a regular job. But I find it hard to believe that the big 3 are all missing something because of an eval based on 1 game.

Advertisement
Back