Alvin Mathis senior tape

Interesting that everyone on the board seems to believe this guy isn’t as talented at Hyppolite. Sometimes I wonder what percentage of
this board actually knows how to evaluate tape (or even watches it) compared to those that are just sheep following the herd.

I mean, none of the sites have Mathis over Hyppolite either.

Like, is there some hidden film that only coaches have access to that make him look a full half second faster?

I'm not going to be one of those types that just completely don't understand why this University likes this particular player (Mathis)...I can see why...he does everything we ask from our linebackers and this staff just doesn't value speed at the linebacker spot.

Advertisement
The recruiting services agree as well... Hyppolite is significantly ranked higher than Mathis.

Not saying that rankings are perfect because they're not, but people aren't pulling it out of thin air that one is better than the other. It's a questionable take by Baker & Patke, doesn't mean it's wrong, but it's not like Mathis is some slam dunk consensus can't miss 4-star LB.

They may be proven right if they can figure out how to develop the kid, but to act as if everybody else is just stupid for not being in lockstep agreement with this eval is just silly.

I believe the staff wants Greene before they decide if they'll make a move on Hyppolite or not & if they believe they can get Flowe it makes sense why they're not pulling the trigger yet. Now will they get either of those kids remains to be seen, but thats usually how they operate in that they shoot for the stars & if/when they miss then go after the other prospects they had lower on their board.

Lib, I trust your evaluations and I’m not suggesting Mathis is better than Hypp.

But Mathis has a sold offer list and he’s no slouch.
Those that are saying his offer list isn’t real... well neither is Hyppolites at the moment. He’s committed to Maryland. You can’t question the offer list only when it benefits a certain prospect (not saying you are doing that specifically)

Speed is the big differentiator and I understand how important that is. I just think the hype around Hyppolite has made everyone on CIS write off Mathis as a player. It’s not like we are taking some 2 star no one has heard of. He’s a legit prospect.

It looks to me like they are taking a complementary class to what they landed last year instead of taking the best players at the position. They saw him live and I’m going to take their word for it. The backers are Baker’s eval.

Bobby Knowles of LB recruits. Keep signing slow defensive players, and we’ll continue slogging through dog fights with crappy teams.

This is where I'm at. I like Mathis' athleticism more than Knowles, he flashed some qualities. But just as at safety we had Sean Taylor and Ed Reed, at LB we had guys like Ray Lewis and John Beason. And we should be finding athletes that have at least the potential to live up to those standards, or come as close as we possibly can. I just don't see that upside with Mathis (or Flagg for that matter).

Advertisement
Finally watched his film. It’s not as bad as people are making it seem. Perhaps because people have convinced themselves it’s him or Hypo. Idk.

I do know this guy tackles and does a good job getting through traffic. His speed didn’t look all that bad on the fake punt 🤷🏾‍♂️. And he’s bigger than I thought. He’s consistently going side ways instead of downhill which tells me that is what he is being coached to do. Scrape.

He's going to look different in our scheme going more down hill. He had some nice plays on the film when he did actually attack down hill. I bet that’s where Manny’s head is at. He has intangibles that can be coached up.

I mean, none of the sites have Mathis over Hyppolite either.

Like, is there some hidden film that only coaches have access to that make him look a full half second faster?

I'm not going to be one of those types that just completely don't understand why this University likes this particular player (Mathis)...I can see why...he does everything we ask from our linebackers and this staff just doesn't value speed at the linebacker spot.

I disagree. Shaq and Pinckney are thumpers and explosive blitzers. Mathis does neither of those things. He's more like a less athletic McCloud. I see people praising his tackling but you have to keep in mind this is a highlight film - of course he's going to be making tackles. His tackling method is problematic and he doesn't strike with power. Good college backs with power and contact balance will easily shrug off those arm tackles.

So you believe that all 3 Florida schools are making a mistake because all 3 only evaluated him against Booker T? That doesn’t make sense. I am not taking a position as to who is better. The fact is I am less qualified than a college coach to make that decision, and I have a regular job. But I find it hard to believe that the big 3 are all missing something because of an eval based on 1 game.

I dont know about the big 3...i know the only game Um was at was that BTW game. And in that game....it was tough for any LBs to make plays.

Dont put down having a regular job either...one of our evaluaters was a bartender recently. Manny was an intern at ESPN.

FSU had their 3 lbs committed...and Uf got Wingo from here not sure who there taking...Basing it off of the BIG 3 evaluated stuff doesnt mean much. Flat out Mathis is committed to us...he isnt as good as Hyppolite i can say that pretty easily.

Advertisement
This is isn’t a LB here. I just don’t see it. How can you recruit Brooks and Huff and then this kid to play LB. Drop candidate to me
Mark was in control then...this is what Diaz likes man. I don't like Flagg I saw a HS game where he gave up on a ton of plays looked slow and anyone can make tackles if they are running into u between the tackles. But with the spread they will eat him at the d1 level

I don't think Mathis is tape is as bad as some of you are making it out to be...If I had to judge between the 2, I'd give an edge to Hypolite based on pursuit. He def has a step on Mathis. Straight line speed is impressive...I like how both kids start and stop, sifting through the wash. Neither really thump based on the tape I've seen.

Advertisement
I don't think Mathis is tape is as bad as some of you are making it out to be...If I had to judge between the 2, I'd give an edge to Hypolite based on pursuit. He def has a step on Mathis. Straight line speed is impressive...I like how both kids start and stop, sifting through the wash. Neither really thump based on the tape I've seen.

I don’t think it’s bad , I just can’t get a feel on anything about this kid from tape. One of the few kids I can’t really give a opinion on.

Mark was in control then...this is what Diaz likes man. I don't like Flagg I saw a HS game where he gave up on a ton of plays looked slow and anyone can make tackles if they are running into u between the tackles. But with the spread they will eat him at the d1 level

Mark has nothing to do with Manny’s defensive offers

This kid isn’t bad. I don’t think he’s an instant starter but he’s talented. I think he needs to get stronger but I can see the take. However, I think we can bring Hypo too. But if the staff thinks they are going to pull in the 4 or 5 stars then we’ll see. However Mathis and Hypo are both talented in imo.

Advertisement
And i know why they would say that....because i was at the game they came to see.....
If they had any idea to evaluate foreal and knew who was playing they would have known it wouldnt be much to ealuate in that 1....It was against BTW....Who run on offense a sort of an Air Raid system...not much MLB gonna have a ton of plays against them...where they dont run the ball alot and get the ball out extremely quick in the pass game.

It jives with what i been saying that they have guys ahead on their board for whatever reason.

Mesh and crosses all day.

Even Hall of Fame linebackers have their head spinning on well executed mesh routes.

I disagree. Shaq and Pinckney are thumpers and explosive blitzers. Mathis does neither of those things. He's more like a less athletic McCloud. I see people praising his tackling but you have to keep in mind this is a highlight film - of course he's going to be making tackles. His tackling method is problematic and he doesn't strike with power. Good college backs with power and contact balance will easily shrug off those arm tackles.

You're confusing traits with what they are asked to do. Alvin Mathis comes down hill and blitzes plenty - he's just not explosive or particularly imposing.

I hear you on tackling, but that's probably right alongside speed with traits that these coaches don't care about because they teach the Pete Carroll shoulder tackling, eyes to thighs and roll method and most high schools don't teach it. I believe Manny has said before he can teach someone to tackle...seems silly to me, but here we are.

His speed is not horrible. You have to keep in mind whenever a kid is the man on his team - he probably tired af. Same with the game I watched of Flagg. He was on the field all game and looked slow because he was gassed. These boys will be fine after some S&C.

Lib, I trust your evaluations and I’m not suggesting Mathis is better than Hypp.

But Mathis has a sold offer list and he’s no slouch.
Those that are saying his offer list isn’t real... well neither is Hyppolites at the moment. He’s committed to Maryland. You can’t question the offer list only when it benefits a certain prospect (not saying you are doing that specifically)

Speed is the big differentiator and I understand how important that is. I just think the hype around Hyppolite has made everyone on CIS write off Mathis as a player. It’s not like we are taking some 2 star no one has heard of. He’s a legit prospect.
He doesn't look like a legit prospect. Not impressed at all with those highlights

Advertisement
Back