Alton Tarber 2022 NT

Advertisement
There have been some concerns from several big programs (Miami included) about whether Tarber has a motor or not.
Last I heard, Miami wanted Tarber to come down there and workout for them.

It's a very legit concern. I don't blame them.

Responding to your earlier post about why I mentioned laziness.

No motor=laziness on the field (maybe "lack of effort" is more on point but I think that is synonymous with lazy)

Per your post, apparently multiple schools have the same concern about on-field effort. That's a red flag- sounds a lot like the concerns about Savion Collins last class and I don't think most people thought he was a big loss when he left the class because of the significant questions about his motor.

You also said that Miami wanted him to workout, another poster later said Tarber didn't want to workout at Paradise- he skipped it altogether. That doesnt look good when there are concerns about effort (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
Responding to your earlier post about why I mentioned laziness.

No motor=laziness on the field (maybe "lack of effort" is more on point but I think that is synonymous with lazy)

Per your post, apparently multiple schools have the same concern about on-field effort. That's a red flag- sounds a lot like the concerns about Savion Collins last class and I don't think most people thought he was a big loss when he left the class because of the significant questions about his motor.

You also said that Miami wanted him to workout, another poster later said Tarber didn't want to workout at Paradise- he skipped it altogether. That doesnt look good when there are concerns about effort (or lack thereof).

Laziness is a bit of a strong word though.
A lazy player doesn't fire off the ball, doesn't come to practice, doesn't run sprints, doesn't lift weights, doesn't take-on double teams, etc.
Tarber works.

Nobody said he was "lazy", some schools just want to see him show more motor. (i.e. chasing plays down, etc)

On the snap of the ball, at the point of attack, there's no DT better than Tarber in the entire state arguably. That's never been his issue. It's continuing that effort AFTER the first 2 seconds of the play that schools want to see.

I think it’s one of those things were your words avalanched from… consistent motor for 4 quarters… to now the narrative is he’s lazy and no drive.

I remember your post was just a simple issue of maybe not giving consistent effort but never “lazy”
Remember the "telephone game" when you were little?

When you say something to somebody, and by the time it gets around to the 10th person it becomes something entirely different.
That's how "needs to show more motor" turns into "he's lazy".

Lazy is a bit of a strong word to describe his "issue".

Advertisement

When you say something to somebody, and by the time it gets around to the 10th person it becomes something entirely different.

So its finishing the play then.

A lazy player doesn't fire off the ball, doesn't come to practice, doesn't run sprints, doesn't lift weights, doesn't take-on double teams, etc.
Tarber works.

Nobody said he was "lazy", some schools just want to see him show more motor. (i.e. chasing plays down, etc)

On the snap of the ball, at the point of attack, there's no DT better than Tarber in the entire state arguably. That's never been his issue. It's continuing that effort AFTER the first 2 seconds of the play that schools want to see.
Have you or any of the other Deerfield coaches been able to talk to him about his lack of motor perception ? Hopefully he puts any doubts to rest during his senior year.

Tarber works.

Which is literally what he did in that camp video of him working everybody at Carter Park. I found it bizarre.

Advertisement
Tarber works.

\We had a NT under Shannon, Antonio Dixon from Booker T. Was a total beast but would always gas out. I believe they called him something like "two tricks Dix" because he could only go for two snaps a series. Lazy was never his problem as far as I can recall. S&C and just his genetic makeup made it harder for him.

Have you or any of the other Deerfield coaches been able to talk to him about his lack of motor perception ? Hopefully he puts any doubts to rest during his senior year.
Absolutely...
But you know how kids can be sometimes. It doesn't hit them until it hurts them.
He's been doing very well lately so I'm sure it's registered.

It's difficult to find 315lb high school kids with motor though.

Personally I love Tarber and think Simpson would get the most out of him. Sky's the limit for him if he can get the same attitude as Nesta and Miller. Hope Miami circles back and locks him down.

Advertisement
Absolutely...
But you know how kids can be sometimes. It doesn't hit them until it hurts them.

The last part is what I was thinking exactly, he's worth the flier considering he has the body type we need more of at DT.

Absolutely...

True is it hard to those 315+ big boi's coming out of High School with high motors but Miami is about to face a few in 2021; one is Tim Smith who went to Bama as a 2020 recruit and Mich St 2021 signee Derrick Harmon both were in the 350lbs range in high school.

2020 DT Tim Smith - BAMA

2021 DT Derrick Harmon - MSU

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need to lock up this kid and Lyons. Then swing for the fences with the homegrown kid that moved out to Zona. Looking more and more like we only taking 2 for the LB/STR spots and then maybe only 2 WRs. We can afford to take 3DTs and 3 DEs.

Really that simple and been saying for weeks...

Look down the 2 Sofla studs (semi-studs if you are really into rankings, but I have both as 2 of the top 15 players in tai-county)...And then you leave a spot for Lucas no matter what. Alexander a pipe dream.

I can’t blame a kid this big and talented for not being “John Randle” in the motor department at his age. Find me a DT that checks all the boxes this kid has AND has the motor and I’ll show you a 5* DT who is courted by every big program in the country. Tarbor should absolutely be a take.

Kid is a take all day. Its like going to the club everybody wants a perfect 10 with no flaws. But the ballers do to (Bama, UGA, Clemson) and they offering extras to get them. Smash that 8 and keep looking for a 10 dont go home with nothing!

I see your point. However, eons ago when I was a young man playing football, if the head coach ever saw any defensive player not finishing plays- especially not chasing down ballcarriers- you could bank on the fact that the head coach would turn to his DC and tell him "get that lazy *** player off my field." (my high school coach was not an easy-going fellow)

Admittedly, maybe things have changed a lot in the past two+ decades and a lack of motor is no longer considered "lazy."

The one other thing that concerns me about his motor goes to something Saban once said about recruiting. Now obviously he can buy any player he wants so that plays a huge factor, but I read an interview he did where he said key trait he looked for is for players who are innately competitive. He said you can teach technique and a player can get faster and stronger, but it's extremely difficult to coach effort. He doesn't have to worry about spending time on kids who have extraordinary talent but don't give 100% every play since he doesn't recruit those players. That's part of the reason Bama is a machine and almost never plays down to an opponent- the players are so naturally competitive they would be disgusted at the prospect of letting an inferior team think it could hang with them.

If Miami is committed to changing the culture of the program from players who smoke and joke in the sidelines when tied with a G5 school in the 3rd quarter to one where each player on a mission to dominate the opponent, then I worry about recruiting players with a questionable motor, even if they are talented. If there are already concerns about effort in high school, it's not going to get any easier in college. I don't agree with those who say lack of effort is an easily fixable issue. I'm up in the air with this one but I trust the staff at DL recruiting and evals.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back