Alton Tarber 2022 NT

Advertisement
Take him. He had motor issues as a Junior in high school. What DT doesn’t? If he is willing to commit to Salave’a he will correct any lingering issues quickly .

Idc what Mario believes. He needs bodies at DT badly

If you've got Leonard Taylor - and I mean a Leonard Taylor who is finally taking this game seriously in all aspects - in the middle, you're now looking for something a little more niche than bodies. We had bodies...most barely played, it was artificial depth. Guys on the roster, but barely - or don't - play. Replacing Jackson's snaps as a space eater only needs to be replaced and you could do that with. I respect Jackson's game and all, but I think that is far more replaceable than many here wanted to discuss.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Literally everybody wants 6'4" DT's though.
Y'all act like this is a Mario thing.

Tarber is probably better at the point-of-attack than anybody we have right now.

Motor issues are a concern for most 6'2" 320+ high school kids. Shoot, even Leonard Taylor had his own issues. Nyjalik too.
Y'all realize that kids tighten up in college, right? Once they're being coached harder, held accountable, have to compete, etc.

Literally everybody wants 6'4" DT's though.
Y'all act like this is a Mario thing.

Tarber is probably better at the point-of-attack than anybody we have right now.

Motor issues are a concern for most 6'2" 320+ high school kids. Shoot, even Leonard Taylor had his own issues. Nyjalik too.
Y'all realize that kids tighten up in college, right? Once they're being coached harder, held accountable, have to compete, etc.
Plus let’s be honest he’ll be in rotation here and if he gives you 15-20 100% effort plays that’s all you want. It’s not like high school where he was probably playing 80% of snaps

Advertisement
I don’t think so but we shall see. He doesn’t seem to fit what Mario is looking for. Mario like those 6’4 plus DTs

It is possible to run a 3-4 with smallish DTs.

Aranda ran the 3-4 at LSU with Godchaux at DT, who was under 300 lbs. Interesting that both Saban and Les Miles started with 4-3s and moved to the 3-4 as they brought in better LBs.

Advertisement

Aranda ran the 3-4 at LSU with Godchaux at DT, who was under 300 lbs. Interesting that both Saban and Les Miles started with 4-3s and moved to the 3-4 as they brought in better LBs.
Didn’t Muschamp have some smallish DTs when he was at Florida? The year we beat them at the Rock.

Well, playing DL is about length.
D-lineman engage with their hands, not the top of their heads.
Generally taller guys have longer arms, thus the focus on height. But they'll usually take a shorter guy that has a big wing span. (Miami coaches asked about Tarber's arm length)

You can run a 3-4 with smaller guys if it's a one-gap (slanting) version. It's hard if you're asking guys to "2-gap" though.

Most teams run multiple fronts nowadays and will personnel their 3-4 sets accordingly. I've seen Miami use 3 DT's on the line and a light DE as a stand-up "Jack" Linebacker.

Advertisement
Back