Although Manny was a Corch

So what happened against UNC in 2020? Win the game, at home, and Miami plays a NYE6 game, likely the Orange Bowl. A home major bowl game.

The team came out flat and disinterested. Especially on defense, Manny’s side of the ball.

They quit before kickoff.

Yup. I didn't say they NEVER quit on Diaz at least once in 3 seasons, only they didn't quit on him in the FIU game in his 1st season despite that being a popular myth around here. And in the LA Tech game - again where fans peddle the false narrative that the entire team quit - its not the full story. The offense completely mutinied on Enos. Every player on offense hated his guts. Yet the defense still showed up. LA Tech was a 10 win team and had the #8 offense in the country and was averaging almost 38 ppg. The D held them to 14. The score was 7-0 with 5 min to go in the 4th quarter. Perry threw a pick at the 50 yard line with about 3 min to go and LA Tech didn't put UM away until literally the last minute of the game. If the entire team had actually quit on Diaz, La Tech would have dropped a 50 burger on us.

UNC 2020 is a good example of where players quit on the HC. UM was in the midst of a 5 game win streak and players were feeling themselves after dismantling Duke on the road. UNC smacked UM in the mouth and the team folded. It's not excusable but that's sometimes happens when college kids think they are a lot better than they are due to an extended win streak, and get a surprise rude awakening.

We didn't get to see how they would respond the following week since the GT game got canceled. The next time they played was against OK St in the bowl game. Those kids played their hearts out trying to win that game. A team of quitters would have packed it up when King went down. The exact opposite happened and they fought like cornered animals after losing King. Poor coaching helped put UM in a deficit early - OK St. was carving up the D and the DC (Blake?) never adjusted. Players tried to overcome the bad coaching but fell just short. So much for that nonsense of having a team full of kids without heart.

Last edited:
Advertisement
When it’s all said and done the hiring of Lispy will go down as the proverbial nail in the coffin for this program. It will take a monumental effort to get this team even back to relevance. 3-4 years isn’t a stretch especially considering the monumental blunders year after year from those BOT imbeciles.

Ce Yup. I didn't say they NEVER quit on Diaz, only they didn't quit on him in the FIU game in his 1st season despite that being a popular myth around here.

UNC 2020 is a good example of where players quit on the HC. UM was in the midst of a 5 game win streak and players were feeling themselves after dismantling Duke on the road. UNC smacked UM in the mouth and the team folded. It's not excusable but that's sometimes happens when college kids think they are a lot better than they are due to an extended win streak, and get a surprise rude awakening.

We didn't get to see how they would respond the following week since the GT game got canceled. The next time they played was against OK St in the bowl game. Those kids played their hearts out trying to win that game. A team of quitters would have packed it up when King went down. The exact opposite happened and they fought like cornered animals after losing King. Poor coaching helped put UM in a deficit early - OK St. was carving up the D and the DC (Blake?) never adjusted. Players tried to overcome the bad coaching but fell just short. So much for that nonsense of having a team full of kids without heart.
There are (were) kids with heart, agree. Even this season.

Against Oklahoma State, the defense picked up where they left off against UNC, gawd awful. Bad coaching? Yes, but once the coaches adjusted and it was good coaching that resulted in a near comeback after Perry replaced King. Oklahoma State also prepped for a different style QB in King, and this allowed Perry to thrive until their own adjustments and the comeback failed.

Canes teams have quit in game since the last of the Coker years. Bad coaching all around but also no leadership on the field.

I was watching part of the Alabama-Mississippi State game this weekend, and the announcers mentions how players take ownership of their performance, holding themselves to an elite standard, and know they can rebound from the Tennessee loss.

Who are the team leaders right now? Whose work ethic is inspiring others to push themselves? Name them.

Leadership like the great Miami teams used to have.

Not defending Manny, who should have never been hired. With all is faults, the one thing he had was kids who played hard. This team quit on it’s staff yesterday in a game they had the lead in the 3rd quarter. Mario is not going anywhere, but this guarantees that players and coaches will be departing. Nothing worse than a team quitting in a game in October when there is still quite a bit to play for. This happened to Shannon (FSU 2010) and his days were numbered from that point on. Mario has no choice but to blow this up.
FIU? Louisiana Tech??

How about mannys record coming off of bye weeks… the team did whatever it wanted

There are (were) kids with heart, agree. Even this season.

Against Oklahoma State, the defense picked up where they left off against UNC, gawd awful. Bad coaching? Yes, but once the coaches adjusted and it was good coaching that resulted in a near comeback after Perry replaced King. Oklahoma State also prepped for a different style QB in King, and this allowed Perry to thrive until their own adjustments and the comeback failed. -- if pope could catch haha we prolly win that game.

Canes teams have quit in game since the last of the Coker years. Bad coaching all around but also no leadership on the field. - agreed.

I was watching part of the Alabama-Mississippi State game this weekend, and the announcers mentions how players take ownership of their performance, holding themselves to an elite standard, and know they can rebound from the Tennessee loss.

Who are the team leaders right now? Whose work ethic is inspiring others to push themselves? Name them.

Leadership like the great Miami teams used to have.

Advertisement
FIU? Louisiana Tech??

How about mannys record coming off of bye weeks… the team did whatever it wanted

The bye week record tells you all you need to know- Diaz simply wasn't a good coach. But the narrative that the entire team quit on him against FIU and LA Tech is false. It's completely wrong about the FIU game and a half truth against LA Tech. The offense quit on Enos, but the D absolutely showed up. Score was 7-0 with 3 min to go, against an offense averaging 38 ppg. Whenever someone tries to cite those as examples of the team quitting, I can immediately tell that a person only looked at the final score on the espn website and didn't actually watch the game.

Advertisement
I’ve got to respect your knowledge there. No idea who Manny would have been able to sign.

Mario did sign two of our best DL, Mesidor and Jackson. Ladson seems to stepping up and serviceable, and Parrish has been valuable. Clearly we needed an influx of OL but sadly didn’t happen. Ironically one of best OL available was Kingsley Suamataia from Oregon, but he transferred home to Utah and play at BYU. May never had an interest in anywhere else.

I think the portal is an excellent way to patch holes but doesn’t replace recruiting. For all the credit Mel Tucker deserves for a great 2021 season at MSU, he’s 3-4 this season. 1-3 in conference, 5th in his division, and right back where he was after 2020.

Exceptions might be what Riley did at USC but he was able poach his own two best players at OU, including one the top 2-3 QBs in CFB. Plus tampering with Addison from Pittsburgh.

Mel Tucker isnt a good coach, and he doesnt have a recruiting base.

Mario messed up by not adding another wr and by taking depth guys from Oregon on the OL...a starting TACKLE was a severe need and he whiffed or waited too long....it only got worse with our best OL being hurt. He tried to be nice by leaving Oregon and not bringing anything worth while..f that.

I liked the Mesidor and Jackson takes from the get go as well as Daryl Porter Jr.

That is literally the most extreme, isolated example that exists. That will never happen again in a 4+ year span
I suspect given more time, Manuela was on his way.

Regardless "22" isn't a magical number, but the theme remains. I suppose you just know what "bad" looks like given the data.

Advertisement
Yall gotta stop with this bull**** Narrative that the players quit. They were undisciplined and tried to force plays, or wasn't focused. Turned the ball over 39 times and was put in poor positioning to defend the QB run defensively for the length of the game. Saying the team quit is an excuse. Everytime a team loses against an inferior opponent, it's not because they quit. We came out firing and with all the momentum in the 3rd and took the lead with a backup QB. There literally wasn't any reason to quit.

The bye week record tells you all you need to know- Diaz simply wasn't a good coach. But the narrative that the entire team quit on him against FIU and LA Tech is false. It's completely wrong about the FIU game and a half truth against LA Tech. The offense quit on Enos, but the D absolutely showed up. Score was 7-0 with 3 min to go, against an offense averaging 38 ppg. Whenever someone tries to cite those as examples of the team quitting, I can immediately tell that a person only looked at the final score on the espn website and didn't actually watch the game.
If you watched you saw Shaq staying in the defense *** on the sidelines.

We started the season expecting to win the Coastal. 5 weeks into the season the goal changed to just trying to be bowl eligible. This first season has been a failure up to this point.

For those asking for patience, hopefully you weren't one of the asshats who raged against Manny Diaz and Al Golden when other fans asked for patience from you. Certain individuals claimed to see the writing on the wall after just 3 or 4 games into their seasons and they turned this board toxic with their consistent hand wringing. They whined on for years until both men were fired. All of this of course under the guise of being "caring and committed" fans! smh.

Well we're all caring and committed fans and Mario is stinking up the joint. I haven't given up on Mario but there is no way I'm singing the patience song with Mario. He has everything he needs to succeed and more than most of the teams he's lost to.

Mario shouldn't be fired but he's used up most of his allotment of patience.

Advertisement
Manny bred what a guy like Manny will always breed. He is 100% responsible for the mentally soft hot mess we have. Not all “his guys” but too many quit on him due to a lack of respect for the game and the program. They quit on him until it looked like he was getting the boot and sacked up in order to keep the comfortable status quo. Now those same guys are getting challenged and they can’t handle it.

I realize it’s hard for many on here to understand but just hear me out. The overwhelming majority of the guys on this squad were the man the year they left high school. They transitioned to a program where the biggest challenge was getting acclimated to more responsibility. Many did the bare minimum because that’s the mark that was set by the leadership in place. This is not and cannot be a program where staff and players are on equal footing or close to it. That had been the case and it was a horrendous result. It’s not the case anymore and it looks even worse. If you can’t take a challenge from your position coach or anyone else on staff you have no business being here. I get the frustration but it’s often ill placed.

Not defending Manny, who should have never been hired. With all is faults, the one thing he had was kids who played hard. This team quit on it’s staff yesterday in a game they had the lead in the 3rd quarter. Mario is not going anywhere, but this guarantees that players and coaches will be departing. Nothing worse than a team quitting in a game in October when there is still quite a bit to play for. This happened to Shannon (FSU 2010) and his days were numbered from that point on. Mario has no choice but to blow this up.
So you are saying the players got mad at the staff for the 8 turnovers plus 2 turnover on downs where they couldn't get a half a yard and decided the staff was the reason for that and quit on them? Sorry but it wasn't the staff dropping passes, throwing interceptions not tackling or being able to get enough push to gain a half a yard. The players quit on themselves and each other, not the staff.

I dont want to go down a foxhole of "Manny vs Mario" but lets make sure we are all clear here and lets not be biased..we are staring down the barrel of winning 5 games and not making a bowl game. When was the last UM coach who left a regular season having to swallow that? (PAUSE)

The Office Love GIF

Advertisement
Back