Although Manny was a Corch

Advertisement
I don't think Miami has the superior players everyone keeps saying...

I'd argue with this roster, Lashlee's O style might have led to even worse defeats for Miami.
People forget Lashlee left for SMU and took a few assistants with him before Mario was hired. And he didn’t leave because of Mario, he left for the big HC job. Manny surely would have hired another spread OC, with a number of new assistants (OL, WR). Still would have been a new offense to learn.

when they beat Duke by 50 last year

Diaz took over a 7 win team without a QB, still beat a ranked team (#20 UVA) on his way to 6 wins in his first season. Cristobal, a guy whose been a HC for a decade, was handed a 7 win team with the acc rookie of the year at QB snd, and odds are he doesn't win 5. Yet Diaz is the one getting clowned?

When a player gets an accidental dumb penalty for celebrating after an interception Manny didn't destroy the player. He accepted that things happen and at least kept moral up.

Everyone talks good because Mario lit into him. They just want to see a guy scream.
I was referring to things like missing practice.

The only thing Manny did right was bring in Lashlee to run the offense. That was the only glimpse of flash we had on Mannys teams. The defense for the most part sucked.

Advertisement
I would encourage porsters crying the sky is falling take a step back and view the path with greater perspective.

Mario was hired to build this program, his way on his timeline, not CIS'.
Yes, definitely. The program needs a rebuild from the ground up. Including administrative and recruiting functions, facilities, everything.

The record this season is disappointing, **** yes, but Miami was going nowhere under Manny. Would have been a consistent 8-4 to 6-6 team.

The only thing Manny did right was bring in Lashlee to run the offense. That was the only glimpse of flash we had on Mannys teams. The defense for the most part sucked.
The one thing that could have saved Manny was becoming a CEO-type and hiring a DC to run the defense how the DC saw fit.

Advertisement
He wouldn’t have this roster.

His recruiting class would have been abysmal. No Skinner, Cyrus Moss, Citizen, etc. He wasn’t going to flip any of the players Mario did to Miami. He likely wouldn’t have gotten any of the portal guys, like Messidor, Jackson.

Mario has been disappointing, clearly, but we had a full picture of the future under Diaz, and it wasn’t improving.
Manny Diaz is/was better in the portal than Mario is. Its one of the things he done well and it appears he was gearing up to do it again to try to save his job.

Manny lost to FIU. GTFO here with his kids didn’t quit. They quit somewhere (off season training, learning the playbook, general effort) to end up with that result.

Except the players didn't actually quit in the FIU game. They certainly underperformed, but most UM players played to the final whistle. UM scored a TD on a 4th and short to cut the lead to 6 with under 2 min to play. Teams that quit aren't converting 4th down and goals in the closing minutes of a game and trying to give themselves a final chance to take the lead.

Jarren Williams threw 3 picks deep inside UM territory and consistently put the D in a terrible position.

Biggest difference is that Butch got his players to treat it as the ultimate rivalry game and give 110%, UM players thought it would be a cakewalk. A lot went wrong in the FIU game and it was a disappointing effort, but the truth is that most of the team didn't quit on Diaz.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz is/was better in the portal than Mario is. Its one of the things he done well and it appears he was gearing up to do it again to try to save his job.
I’ve got to respect your knowledge there. No idea who Manny would have been able to sign.

Mario did sign two of our best DL, Mesidor and Jackson. Ladson seems to stepping up and serviceable, and Parrish has been valuable. Clearly we needed an influx of OL but sadly didn’t happen. Ironically one of best OL available was Kingsley Suamataia from Oregon, but he transferred home to Utah and play at BYU. May never had an interest in anywhere else.

I think the portal is an excellent way to patch holes but doesn’t replace recruiting. For all the credit Mel Tucker deserves for a great 2021 season at MSU, he’s 3-4 this season. 1-3 in conference, 5th in his division, and right back where he was after 2020.

Exceptions might be what Riley did at USC but he was able poach his own two best players at OU, including one the top 2-3 QBs in CFB. Plus tampering with Addison from Pittsburgh.

I’ve got to respect your knowledge there. No idea who Manny would have been able to sign.

Mario did sign two of our best DL, Mesidor and Jackson. Ladson seems to stepping up and serviceable, and Parrish has been valuable. Clearly we needed an influx of OL but sadly didn’t happen. Ironically one of best OL available was Kingsley Suamataia from Oregon, but he transferred home to Utah and play at BYU. May never had an interest in anywhere else.

I think the portal is an excellent way to patch holes but doesn’t replace recruiting. For all the credit Mel Tucker deserves for a great 2021 season at MSU, he’s 3-4 this season. 1-3 in conference, 5th in his division, and right back where he was after 2020.

Exceptions might be what Riley did at USC but he was able poach his own two best players at OU, including one the top 2-3 QBs in CFB. Plus tampering with Addison from Pittsburgh.
Manny probably would've done the same as he did. he got Rambo and through lashlee turned him into a record holder here.

he does hit the portal well. its the rare thing he did well.

I just dont think he was gonna survive bc I think Mario was in the bag no matter what.

Yes, definitely. The program needs a rebuild from the ground up. Including administrative and recruiting functions, facilities, everything.

The record this season is disappointing, **** yes, but Miami was going nowhere under Manny. Would have been a consistent 8-4 to 6-6 team.
I'm not certain Manuela and staff, coupled with a cratered 2022 rexruiting class, would have secured more than 1-2 Ws this year.

Seriously.

Advertisement
Except the players didn't actually quit in the FIU game. They certainly underperformed, but most UM players played to the final whistle. UM scored a TD on a 4th and short to cut the lead to 6 with under 2 min to play. Teams that quit aren't converting 4th down and goals in the closing minutes of a game and trying to give themselves a final chance to take the lead.

Jarren Williams threw 3 picks deep inside UM territory and consistently put the D in a terrible position.

Biggest difference is that Butch got his players to treat it as the ultimate rivalry game and give 110%, UM players thought it would be a cakewalk. A lot went wrong in the FIU game and it was a disappointing effort, but the truth is that most of the team didn't quit on Diaz.
So what happened against UNC in 2020? Win the game, at home, and Miami plays a NYE6 game, likely the Orange Bowl. A home major bowl game.

The team came out flat and disinterested. Especially on defense, Manny’s side of the ball.

They quit before kickoff.

Manny probably would've done the same as he did. he got Rambo and through lashlee turned him into a record holder here.

I just dont think he was gonna survive bc I think Mario was in the bag no matter what.
Yeah, I give Manny credit for his portal use.

Phillips was a great find, a former elite 5* recruit recovering from injury, Roche was solid, and King gave us a lot of excitement. Rambo put up numbers and our most productive WR in many seasons.

Diaz also somehow convinced D'Eriq King who was one of the most sought after QBs in the portal, to come to UM even though we'd just had one of the worst offenses ever at the program. He sold him on the future. And don't say it was all Lashlee because no QB with as much talent as King is going to trust a brand new OC like that. Diaz also convinced Jalen Phillips, a player who had MEDICALLY RETIRED to give football another shot. He went from medically retired to first round pick.

I think Diaz would have hit the portal hard if he'd been the HC this year and would have found another Rambo-type who would have loved a chance to rehab his WR career in a top 25 offense. Defensively though we'd still have issues

Diaz also somehow convinced D'Eriq King who was one of the most sought after QBs in the portal, to come to UM even though we'd just had one of the worst offenses ever at the program. He sold him on the future. And don't say it was all Lashlee because no QB with as much talent as King is going to trust a brand new OC like that. Diaz also convinced Jalen Phillips, a player who had MEDICALLY RETIRED to give football another shot. He went from medically retired to first round pick.

I think Diaz would have hit the portal hard if he'd been the HC this year and would have found another Rambo-type who would have loved a chance to rehab his WR career in a top 25 offense. Defensively though we'd still have issues
I dont disagree w anything you've said. I was also down for firing Diaz. its the same reasons why too - he wasn't going to get a DC worth a **** to coach under him bc he wants his style of D run. I expected him to hire another Lashlee type OC and give that person full control like he did with lashlee.

Advertisement
Back