Alright, so the season is upon us (some thoughts)...

Advertisement
season comes down to 2 issues
#1 performance of O line
#2 CMD being able to have the team ready to play at a high level each week
#1 is way easier than #2 as i have very little in CMD..... prove me wrong CMD

Whoooaa!!!

That we could all 'chill' to

But seriously, given the talent base in South FL, and the types of QBs we produce locally, if there was ever a team that should have embraced tempo, let one the spread it's Miami. It has boggled the minds of many from HS coaches through NFL scouts. It's been mind boggling to watch an organization that was once so forward-thinking and ahead of the rest, slam it in reverse and chases it's last in the rearview mirror.

LOL, JHall, last year was a (Manny) Diazster, worst case of over-promising and under-delivering I can recall at UM. No arguments, I bought in and by November I had buyers remorse

But Im hopeful (maybe naively so) that he has learned a bit. My question to you is this: do you like his off-season moves(Lashlee, Likes, Justice, etc) and do you just think he's just hopelessly in over his head, regardless?
Honestly I love the off-season

King to me is the biggest positive by far though. We’ve had such a lack of leadership on offense.

We see it all the time in college football, that stuff matters when it comes to all the close games you play.

My hope is that Lashlee helps the OL out quite a bit as well.

Big bummer about #15 but other than that I’m extremely excited.

I just have a complete and absolute lack of faith in Diaz....but that won’t stop me from going nuts on Thursday

Hope all is well during this madness brother

Advertisement
and yeah, Im absolutely grateful that we are getting football. I dont care too much about the other sports/leagues, but college football, and specifically Miami, is different. Boxing is something I love and my job, Hurricane football is my passion. Fall wouldn't be the same without it.

Now, about the upcoming season, call me a sucker (Ive been called worse), Im optimistic. Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and Manny Diaz did one of the worst jobs of coaching Ive ever seen for one seaon. If it were up to me, I would have gotten rid of him. Well, once again he had a great off-season and as far as Im concerned -- while his slate is not exactly clean -- he has a chance to change my mind, starting next Thursday.

Put up a great season and build a foundation for UM football, Im back in with him. That's the way it works with me. I really hope Lashlee is a job saving hire for him.

Now, in terms of football, well, I'll say it again: UM is like that last family to get rid of their Blockbuster Video membership card, and after dabbling a bit with RedBox, we finally now have Netflix. In other words we have joined the 21st century offensively. Not only with a true spread -- but tempo. And with a QB that fits the system in D'eriq King. Im intrigued and excited by it. We will no longer be kind and rewind.

Kicking game, which cost Miami at least two games, should be much-improved, that is huge.

Defensively, well, I have no faith in Blake Baker, too often his defense looked poorly prepared last season. If it wasn't for Enos the heat would've been on him.

With that said, Im looking forward to seeing the improved athleticism at 'backer (Brooks, Huff, McCloud, etc). But my big question is this: do we have a pair of Dtackles that can play at the level of RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton in 2017? I get it, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland aren't walking through the doors of the Hecht Center, but guys like Nesta Silvera need to start playing up to their recruiting rankings. Also, another CB or two needs to step up.

Outside of that, I'm ready to enjoy the games. Not going to predict a record (but to be blunt, anything more than 2 losses would feel like a buzzkill to me), but what I really want to see is a brand of fun, fast, entertaining football. Lets face it, our games for too many years have been slow, lethargic and not very fun to watch. And I think it's been part of the issues in recruiting.

Regardless, I'm ready to watch some Miami Hurricane football. (and I feel like Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man in the world as I seem to be one of the few to have the ACC Network)
I'll reserve judgement on Baker once he has a capable offense on the other side. But I do agree, at times I was scratching my head. I'm just excited to see the whole team honestly

Honestly I love the off-season

King to me is the biggest positive by far though. We’ve had such a lack of leadership on offense.

We see it all the time in college football, that stuff matters when it comes to all the close games you play.

My hope is that Lashlee helps the OL out quite a bit as well.

Big bummer about #15 but other than that I’m extremely excited.

I just have a complete and absolute lack of faith in Diaz....but that won’t stop me from going nuts on Thursday

Hope all is well during this madness brother

Here's hoping that King can have a Burrow-like effect on this program. Personally, I just want to see Miami get into the 21st century offensively, put up some numbers, put up a good product that recruits will want to be a part off and not have any terrible losses (last year there were at least three or four of them).

Im excited to see guys like Knighton, who have insiders VERY excited. Those are the type of guys that can be program changers...

Here's hoping that King can have a Burrow-like effect on this program. Personally, I just want to see Miami get into the 21st century offensively, put up some numbers, put up a good product that recruits will want to be a part off and not have any terrible losses (last year there were at least three or four of them).
We were one game away from a playoff appearance in '17 with Rosier at QB.

Forget Burrow. All King has to do is protect the football, make some plays here and there with his feet and arm and lead this team like a real QB with good decisions.
If all that happens we can have one of our best seasons ever.

Heard we implemented the QB draw back in red zone situations..along with WR fades
Ugh...the WR fade/jump ball along the sideline...usually to our shortest receiver. That was our go-to play call on 3rd and long for a couple years for some inexplicable reason! Resulted in me screaming at the t.v. many times!

Advertisement
But seriously, given the talent base in South FL, and the types of QBs we produce locally, if there was ever a team that should have embraced tempo, let one the spread it's Miami. It has boggled the minds of many from HS coaches through NFL scouts. It's been mind boggling to watch an organization that was once so forward-thinking and ahead of the rest, slam it in reverse and chases it's last in the rearview mirror.

go back to the 2003 miracle comeback vs Florida. Out of sheer desperation, they put Brock Berlin in the gun, and go hurry up. Well, look what happened. But that's what Berlin was built for, in fact, I think in high school he played exclusively out of the shotgun.

Right then and there, the staff should've said -- Ok, this guy isn't Dorsey, but this is what he does well. And it turns out this might be the offense for us, we just showed that.

Instead, they kept trying to put the square peg into a round hole. But that should've been the start of the Miami offensive evolution

This season will come down to the offense being fixed. If its not...going to be a long season. If it takes a while to get going, it'll be a disappointing season. If its humming, and early, we're going to have a good year.

There hasn't been much variance in Manny Diaz's defense, so you know what you're going to get - roughly - regardless of the pieces.

Just to piggy back my own response.

Just to give you a visual to show how important an offensive improvement is - so much so its the ONLY thing that matters.

Look at where Miami is offensively re: yards on schedule. Probably the biggest improvement we will see under Lashlee and with D'Eriq King is in our offense being on schedule. Getting into conversion range on 3rd and 4th down with a mobile QB in an offense that gets the ball out very quickly and an offense that when it runs, gets to the line and beyond with purpose is the all that matters this year.

Watched the first season. The karate is awful. But I can see how the younger generation likes this.

Advertisement
Back