Alright, so the season is upon us (some thoughts)...

Advertisement
So what you're saying is that Manny is the only one holding us back.
First of all, YES, I AM INCREDIBLY EXCITED FOR THIS SEASON!!!

It could be amazing

Of course, last year, and many years during the past 15 years, I've easily accepted the season's end to put me out of my misery.

But I am again very optimistic that were crawling out of the bad years to some great ones again.

For NorthEastCane...
By this reasoning Butch's game day coaching, Cokerizing, Shanntard's, Showers, and Wrecked were the only things holding us back for the last 25 years.

Head coach responsibilities:
find and recruit the best players (Manny has done great here as head coach);

find and hire excellent assistants and recruiting staff (Manny chose horrible assistants year 1--- but superb recruiting staff and I think/hope very capable assistants overall);

speak to the media and likability (he's okay. Not terrible and certainly not great);

set a tone, motivate, game day coaching (don't know how to not give him an F for last year--- I can dream he'll move up to a c this year)

Reality is I'll be upset if we lose even 1 game, but I will likely have longer term patience if he keeps on doing the great stuff, and improves significantly on the bad stuff.

Especially since the recruiting is quite good and the eventual replacement will enter with a full cupboard.

Advertisement
I don’t think miller will be starting Or getting that level snaps. But if one of those DTs take the step your talking about this D will be elite
Idk, he looks to be in incredible shape, at least compared to what he was anyway. Also the flash of Harrison Hunte we seen he looked like a monster. I’m high on our dline as a whole but I really think we have nice quality depth at DT that someone will emerge & have a huge year.

First of all, YES, I AM INCREDIBLY EXCITED FOR THIS SEASON!!!

It could be amazing

Of course, last year, and many years during the past 15 years, I've easily accepted the season's end to put me out of my misery.

But I am again very optimistic that were crawling out of the bad years to some great ones again.

For NorthEastCane...
By this reasoning Butch's game day coaching, Cokerizing, Shanntard's, Showers, and Wrecked were the only things holding us back for the last 25 years.

Head coach responsibilities:
find and recruit the best players (Manny has done great here as head coach);

find and hire excellent assistants and recruiting staff (Manny chose horrible assistants year 1--- but superb recruiting staff and I think/hope very capable assistants overall);

speak to the media and likability (he's okay. Not terrible and certainly not great);

set a tone, motivate, game day coaching (don't know how to not give him an F for last year--- I can dream he'll move up to a c this year)

Reality is I'll be upset if we lose even 1 game, but I will likely have longer term patience if he keeps on doing the great stuff, and improves significantly on the bad stuff.

Especially since the recruiting is quite good and the eventual replacement will enter with a full cupboard.
That's not exactly the reasoning. The talent level for several of those coaches you mentioned were several grades below what we remember back in the day (and I'm not just talking about the stacked 2001 team). Talent held us back even though the coaches are ultimately responsible for the recruiting effort.

My post was in response to overall grades of A-/B for the offense and B for the defense. That makes it seem like talent is no longer an issue. The only other variable he brought up was Manny. The one thing that separates Butch and JJ from all the rest is they consistently got their teams ready to player. They both had game day lapses and down days, but he peaks and valleys in game readiness were not as extreme as we've recently become accustomed. I've said in a earlier post that one of the things I'm looking to see whether Manny deal with that better than last year. That's going to be Manny's biggest hurdle. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Must be a traditionalist. U probably love bama and USCs stale **** lol. I don’t mind mixing it up. I wish we’d go all whites at home more often and rock white helmets, black jerseys, white pants one time too

I know Im in the minority, but I actually liked what Nike did with our threads in the 2014 season -- even the different color helmets. We had some nice looking combo's I thought...

Idk, he looks to be in incredible shape, at least compared to what he was anyway. Also the flash of Harrison Hunte we seen he looked like a monster. I’m high on our dline as a whole but I really think we have nice quality depth at DT that someone will emerge & have a huge year.
I think the young guys we stacked on the depth chart is the best it’s been no doubt. Idk if they
I know Im in the minority, but I actually liked what Nike did with our threads in the 2014 season -- even the different color helmets. We had some nice looking combo's I thought...
im in the minority with you..I was at that FSU game. That’s combo was dope asf and looked even better on tv..even the joints we wore at ga tech was dope. 14 we had the traditional color scheme witch is alway dope and nice *** alternatives

Advertisement
I hear we’re opening the season with a reverse to the short side of the field
Nope. Jose is gonna pin UAB inside the 15 opening kick..Phillips will get a strip sack and recover at the 10..first offensive play will be a half back pass to the short side of the field..write it down

Must be a traditionalist. U probably love bama and USCs stale **** lol. I don’t mind mixing it up. I wish we’d go all whites at home more often and rock white helmets, black jerseys, white pants one time too
Yes, mostly. I don’t mind when they change it up with the black once a year, but otherwise yes I am a Hurricane traditionalist, not a uniform traditionalist. Our colors are a very specific shade of orange, green, and of course, white. Those uniforms you highlighted are different shades and look like an afterthought to me. But that’s how it is, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Also, just because they might look somewhat cool, does not mean that they’re right for the hurricanes.

And no I don’t love any of those other traditional uniforms that you mentioned for those teams. They look like plain crap to me. Who else has orange green and white as their main colors? We already buck the trend with our regular uniforms. Always have, always will - we’re not a traditional school, we don’t have traditional colors, and that’s the way I like it. That’s why I don’t like too much change for it.

Good stuff, @k9cane

I’m excited

But man, and realizing this will sound defeatist, but Manny is such a **** show...

Never mind

I’m ready

Advertisement
Good stuff, @k9cane

I’m excited

But man, and realizing this will sound defeatist, but Manny is such a **** show...

Never mind

I’m ready
LOL, JHall, last year was a (Manny) Diazster, worst case of over-promising and under-delivering I can recall at UM. No arguments, I bought in and by November I had buyers remorse

But Im hopeful (maybe naively so) that he has learned a bit. My question to you is this: do you like his off-season moves(Lashlee, Likes, Justice, etc) and do you just think he's just hopelessly in over his head, regardless?

My thoughts, we have a tough schedule on our hands. We should be undefeated when comes to CLEMSON. I hope for the best. One game at a time. Go the MIGHTY MIAMI HURRICANES.

and yeah, Im absolutely grateful that we are getting football. I dont care too much about the other sports/leagues, but college football, and specifically Miami, is different. Boxing is something I love and my job, Hurricane football is my passion. Fall wouldn't be the same without it.

Now, about the upcoming season, call me a sucker (Ive been called worse), Im optimistic. Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and Manny Diaz did one of the worst jobs of coaching Ive ever seen for one seaon. If it were up to me, I would have gotten rid of him. Well, once again he had a great off-season and as far as Im concerned -- while his slate is not exactly clean -- he has a chance to change my mind, starting next Thursday.

Put up a great season and build a foundation for UM football, Im back in with him. That's the way it works with me. I really hope Lashlee is a job saving hire for him.

Now, in terms of football, well, I'll say it again: UM is like that last family to get rid of their Blockbuster Video membership card, and after dabbling a bit with RedBox, we finally now have Netflix. In other words we have joined the 21st century offensively. Not only with a true spread -- but tempo. And with a QB that fits the system in D'eriq King. Im intrigued and excited by it. We will no longer be kind and rewind.

Kicking game, which cost Miami at least two games, should be much-improved, that is huge.

Defensively, well, I have no faith in Blake Baker, too often his defense looked poorly prepared last season. If it wasn't for Enos the heat would've been on him.

With that said, Im looking forward to seeing the improved athleticism at 'backer (Brooks, Huff, McCloud, etc). But my big question is this: do we have a pair of Dtackles that can play at the level of RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton in 2017? I get it, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland aren't walking through the doors of the Hecht Center, but guys like Nesta Silvera need to start playing up to their recruiting rankings. Also, another CB or two needs to step up.

Outside of that, I'm ready to enjoy the games. Not going to predict a record (but to be blunt, anything more than 2 losses would feel like a buzzkill to me), but what I really want to see is a brand of fun, fast, entertaining football. Lets face it, our games for too many years have been slow, lethargic and not very fun to watch. And I think it's been part of the issues in recruiting.

Regardless, I'm ready to watch some Miami Hurricane football. (and I feel like Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man in the world as I seem to be one of the few to have the ACC Network)
Great post! Go canes!

Advertisement
Back