Alright, so the season is upon us (some thoughts)...

k9cane

Senior
and yeah, Im absolutely grateful that we are getting football. I dont care too much about the other sports/leagues, but college football, and specifically Miami, is different. Boxing is something I love and my job, Hurricane football is my passion. Fall wouldn't be the same without it.

Now, about the upcoming season, call me a sucker (Ive been called worse), Im optimistic. Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and Manny Diaz did one of the worst jobs of coaching Ive ever seen for one seaon. If it were up to me, I would have gotten rid of him. Well, once again he had a great off-season and as far as Im concerned -- while his slate is not exactly clean -- he has a chance to change my mind, starting next Thursday.

Put up a great season and build a foundation for UM football, Im back in with him. That's the way it works with me. I really hope Lashlee is a job saving hire for him.

Now, in terms of football, well, I'll say it again: UM is like that last family to get rid of their Blockbuster Video membership card, and after dabbling a bit with RedBox, we finally now have Netflix. In other words we have joined the 21st century offensively. Not only with a true spread -- but tempo. And with a QB that fits the system in D'eriq King. Im intrigued and excited by it. We will no longer be kind and rewind.

Kicking game, which cost Miami at least two games, should be much-improved, that is huge.

Defensively, well, I have no faith in Blake Baker, too often his defense looked poorly prepared last season. If it wasn't for Enos the heat would've been on him.

With that said, Im looking forward to seeing the improved athleticism at 'backer (Brooks, Huff, McCloud, etc). But my big question is this: do we have a pair of Dtackles that can play at the level of RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton in 2017? I get it, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland aren't walking through the doors of the Hecht Center, but guys like Nesta Silvera need to start playing up to their recruiting rankings. Also, another CB or two needs to step up.

Outside of that, I'm ready to enjoy the games. Not going to predict a record (but to be blunt, anything more than 2 losses would feel like a buzzkill to me), but what I really want to see is a brand of fun, fast, entertaining football. Lets face it, our games for too many years have been slow, lethargic and not very fun to watch. And I think it's been part of the issues in recruiting.

Regardless, I'm ready to watch some Miami Hurricane football. (and I feel like Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man in the world as I seem to be one of the few to have the ACC Network)

Advertisement
Love the Blockbuster -> Netflix analogy. So true. Most of us have been crying out for a spread offense for the better part of a decade. We finally have one, and happen to have a potential electric QB to run it. Hard not to be optimistic. What many people who aren’t Canes fans fail to realize is that our offense for the last few years has been a D- at best. If we can even improve to a B- then the rest of the ACC are in for a rude awakening.

Regarding DT, I think Miller goes crazy this year.

For those of you attending the UAB game, see you in less than a week. LFG.

Advertisement
The words I would use to describe Miami football over the last 15+ years - under achievers. And even worst at times, quitters.

All I ask is that they play to their potential, or God forbid, above. That is on both the coaches and players. We do that and we are in ACC champ game.

Feels different this year, but seems to always feel that way.

I hear we are going to use motion to confuse the offense.

Attachments

• 6A9AF17C-5C97-4CED-A3F4-8FEC55141784.jpeg
    6A9AF17C-5C97-4CED-A3F4-8FEC55141784.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 18
  • BF100AB9-5529-48C5-9660-3293924FE5B7.jpeg
    BF100AB9-5529-48C5-9660-3293924FE5B7.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 18
Advertisement
This season will come down to the offense being fixed. If its not...going to be a long season. If it takes a while to get going, it'll be a disappointing season. If its humming, and early, we're going to have a good year.

There hasn't been much variance in Manny Diaz's defense, so you know what you're going to get - roughly - regardless of the pieces.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Heard we implemented the QB draw back in red zone situations..along with WR fades

My expectations are to see a more diciplined team from coaching and the guys just being tired of how it went the other way. I want to see players holding each other accountable on the field. I don't want to see us lose anymore of those hand out games like Florida. We had every chance in the world to win that game, that would have changed the course of the season. Instead, we gave them back every chance to stay in it, and they finished. Then we started doing it with bad teams.

Everybody has *****ed and complained about the QBing for years, so I'm very optimistic this dual threat with the right OC will help the O-line continue to develop which is going to make us more competitive.

Love the Blockbuster -> Netflix analogy. So true. Most of us have been crying out for a spread offense for the better part of a decade. We finally have one, and happen to have a potential electric QB to run it. Hard not to be optimistic. What many people who aren’t Canes fans fail to realize is that our offense for the last few years has been a D- at best. If we can even improve to a B- then the rest of the ACC are in for a rude awakening.

Regarding DT, I think Miller goes crazy this year.

For those of you attending the UAB game, see you in less than a week. LFG.

Miami has dabbled in spread (although they still did waaaaay too much pro-set I formation, at times), but to me, going up-tempo is key. I will cry tears of joy when there is a game when they have over 80 offensive plays. I really think in the heat and humidity of So. Florida they can absolutely gas teams in the second half

As for Jordan Miller, here's hoping he can at least be a guy that has the stamina to be a consistent rotation player

Advertisement
Back