Alright, so the season is upon us (some thoughts)...

and yeah, Im absolutely grateful that we are getting football. I dont care too much about the other sports/leagues, but college football, and specifically Miami, is different. Boxing is something I love and my job, Hurricane football is my passion. Fall wouldn't be the same without it.

Now, about the upcoming season, call me a sucker (Ive been called worse), Im optimistic. Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and Manny Diaz did one of the worst jobs of coaching Ive ever seen for one seaon. If it were up to me, I would have gotten rid of him. Well, once again he had a great off-season and as far as Im concerned -- while his slate is not exactly clean -- he has a chance to change my mind, starting next Thursday.

Put up a great season and build a foundation for UM football, Im back in with him. That's the way it works with me. I really hope Lashlee is a job saving hire for him.

Now, in terms of football, well, I'll say it again: UM is like that last family to get rid of their Blockbuster Video membership card, and after dabbling a bit with RedBox, we finally now have Netflix. In other words we have joined the 21st century offensively. Not only with a true spread -- but tempo. And with a QB that fits the system in D'eriq King. Im intrigued and excited by it. We will no longer be kind and rewind.

Kicking game, which cost Miami at least two games, should be much-improved, that is huge.

Defensively, well, I have no faith in Blake Baker, too often his defense looked poorly prepared last season. If it wasn't for Enos the heat would've been on him.

With that said, Im looking forward to seeing the improved athleticism at 'backer (Brooks, Huff, McCloud, etc). But my big question is this: do we have a pair of Dtackles that can play at the level of RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton in 2017? I get it, Cortez Kennedy and Russell Maryland aren't walking through the doors of the Hecht Center, but guys like Nesta Silvera need to start playing up to their recruiting rankings. Also, another CB or two needs to step up.

Outside of that, I'm ready to enjoy the games. Not going to predict a record (but to be blunt, anything more than 2 losses would feel like a buzzkill to me), but what I really want to see is a brand of fun, fast, entertaining football. Lets face it, our games for too many years have been slow, lethargic and not very fun to watch. And I think it's been part of the issues in recruiting.

Regardless, I'm ready to watch some Miami Hurricane football. (and I feel like Lou Gehrig, the luckiest man in the world as I seem to be one of the few to have the ACC Network)
I love what we have at DT. Think they're going to be great.

Advertisement
I too think the DT’s are going to play up to their potential this season starting with Nesta. Ford and Miller plus Hunte equals some good DT’s to throw at offenses.

I'd be happy if the team consistently came out ready to play every week not just for FSU … including after byes. That would show progress.

Also, I don't expect many blowouts so I'd like to see them play mentally tough down the stretch. If we going to lose, let it be because the other team made plays not because of a brain fart (by player or staff).

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I loved the Blockbuster days. Tons of movies, flipping the box over, usually with a date or friends, running into people you know, nabbing that last copy, and even waiting hopefully for one to be brought back, etc. Never got into Redbox, missing those boxes I guess and all of the other human elements. Netflix, etc.... there just isn't the same connection, but whatever. I'm not a huge fan of how instantaneous everything is now, well besides when I want something now and there's very little I don't have the patience to wait for. Still buy 99.99 percent of everything at a store rather than online. Amazon, 5 items or less a year.

Crap, this is about football.

Advertisement
Maybe it's nostalgia, but I loved the Blockbuster days. Tons of movies, flipping the box over, usually with a date or friends, running into people you know, nabbing that last copy, and even waiting hopefully for one to be brought back, etc. Never got into Redbox, missing those boxes I guess and all of the other human elements. Netflix, etc.... there just isn't the same connection, but whatever. I'm not a huge fan of how instantaneous everything is now, well besides when I want something now and there's very little I don't have the patience to wait for. Still buy 99.99 percent of everything at a store rather than online. Amazon, 5 items or less a year.

Crap, this is about football.
I liked it better before Blockbuster when you had a neighborhood video store with the little room in the back.

nice write up as usual K9... Im hoping Baker can game plan better... he will be this years Dan enos if not

Love the Blockbuster -> Netflix analogy. So true. Most of us have been crying out for a spread offense for the better part of a decade. We finally have one, and happen to have a potential electric QB to run it. Hard not to be optimistic. What many people who aren’t Canes fans fail to realize is that our offense for the last few years has been a D- at best. If we can even improve to a B- then the rest of the ACC are in for a rude awakening.

Regarding DT, I think Miller goes crazy this year.

For those of you attending the UAB game, see you in less than a week. LFG.
Right we'll be a poor man's LSU (2019 team)

I read an article a few months back about the only Blockbuster left on the planet. Pretty sure it’s in Oregon, if my memory serves me correctly.

Your analogy is perfect, though. We truly were one of the last programs in the nation to adopt a modern offense. Absolutely disgusting that it took this long. An improved offense/quarterback/kicking game should get us to at least 9-2 this year before the post season. Anything short of that would be disappointing.

Advertisement
Offense: OC = A, QB = A, RB = A, TE = A, WR = B- with upside, Interior Line = B-/ C+ with upside, RT = B- ... LT = F if 2019 performance, hopefully C+ if Campbell has improved like he should have

Defense: DC = C-, DE = A, S = A, OLB/Striker = B- with upside, MLB = C+/B- with upside (we’re going to miss Shaq), CB = B- with upside, DT = C+ if 2019 performance, hopefully B+ if Ford, Silvera and Miller improved like they should have.

Overall Grades: Offense = A-/B+ with only one position still in doubt, Defense = B with the DC, DTs and CBs the biggest risks.

An A- and B should be enough to win all our games but Clemson, and make that game competitive if we play up to our ceiling. I see the microscope shifting to Baker this season if we lose more than a game or two.

Manny lost the team last year. But he won the off-season and so far won most of the key recruiting battles. This team is poised to break out. Manny has to get us over the summit this time.

Offense: OC = A, QB = A, RB = A, TE = A, WR = B- with upside, Interior Line = B-/ C+ with upside, RT = B- ... LT = F if 2019 performance, hopefully C+ if Campbell has improved like he should have

Defense: DC = C-, DE = A, S = A, OLB/Striker = B- with upside, MLB = C+/B- with upside (we’re going to miss Shaq), CB = B- with upside, DT = C+ if 2019 performance, hopefully B+ if Ford, Silvera and Miller improved like they should have.

Overall Grades: Offense = A-/B+ with only one position still in doubt, Defense = B with the DC, DTs and CBs the biggest risks.

An A- and B should be enough to win all our games but Clemson, and make that game competitive if we play up to our ceiling. I see the microscope shifting to Baker this season if we lose more than a game or two.

Manny lost the team last year. But he won the off-season and so far won most of the key recruiting battles. This team is poised to break out. Manny has to get us over the summit this time.
So what you're saying is that Manny is the only one holding us back.

Advertisement
I read an article a few months back about the only Blockbuster left on the planet. Pretty sure it’s in Oregon, if my memory serves me correctly.

Your analogy is perfect, though. We truly were one of the last programs in the nation to adopt a modern offense. Absolutely disgusting that it took this long. An improved offense/quarterback/kicking game should get us to at least 9-2 this year before the post season. Anything short of that would be disappointing.
The last Blockbuster is (was) in Bend, Oregon. Now an AirBnB.

Advertisement
I love what we have at DT. Think they're going to be great.
All do respect there’s nothing great about or DTs. Ford and Nesta have had A good Before but have never strung together stretches of high level play. I’m not holding my breath that they have a norton/Mac or G will type szn

All do respect there’s nothing great about or DTs. Ford and Nesta have had A good Before but have never strung together stretches of high level play. I’m not holding my breath that they have a norton/Mac or G will type szn

My hope is that UM has the type of offense that can score big, jump out to early lead and allow the defense to play from ahead and downhill. To me, that's when we'll see the effectiveness of our ends and overall front 7

Advertisement
Back