Alonzo isn't the savior we're making him out to be

Look, I don't know what your motivation is, but there is so much wrong with your post that it is hard to know where to begin.

Great post! Ppl act like Urban Myer and Nick Saban found the secret to 34 hours in a day.

No they take advantage of every resource and the buck stops at them.

We hire these 1st time coaches and unproven coaches and turn the entire thing over to them and then are surprised when they failed.

Miami use to get the best and brightest. Recently we’be settled. We need to be targeting guys like Lincoln Riley before they blow up. guy that have over achieved consistently.

In the meantime we need an alpha like Zo to create a foundation that can pass from coach to coach.

Advertisement
Great post! Ppl act like Urban Myer and Nick Saban found the secret to 34 hours in a day.

No they take advantage of every resource and the buck stops at them.

We hire these 1st time coaches and unproven coaches and turn the entire thing over to them and then are surprised when they failed.

Miami use to get the best and brightest. Recently we’be settled. We need to be targeting guys like Lincoln Riley before they blow up. guy that have over achieved consistently.

I don't know that we have "settled".

At one point, UM hired JJ after he went 7-4 in the regular season at Oklahoma State. JJ then lost three straight bowl games at UM, before finally winning the National Championship in 1987.

Erickson, while he had some good 1-year turnaround numbers, was relatively unknown on the east coast.

Butch would have definitely been viewed as "settling", he was our 4th or 5th choice.

The point is, since those guys were hired, college football has changed quite a bit. You can't "just" win it all with an approach of "lighter, faster defensive players" or "1-back spread offense" or "amazing talent identification and recruiting".

So while I think Manny is CAPABLE of being a good coach, we can't wait forever, and we need to address his deficiencies by surrounding him with more resources. Unfortunately, that approach seems to bruise Manny's ego.

More dopiness from Beta Blake's burner account.

The Associate AD of Ohio Taint is going to be in the running for plenty of ACTUAL AD positions.

Stop inventing bogus reasons for Alonzo to be "unqualified" for a newly created position.
Your very short minded...emigs role is exactly like Chief of football operations. If the goal is to put someone directly over football operations then he’s the perfect type of candidate. As is. Knotts from Washington. There more names you could actually take the time and research who have a better resume for the position then a name you get off Miami twitter and message boards.. It’s not bogus..I’m not saying he’s not qualified..but there’s certainly more qualified ppl with more actual experience at the college level to choose from..you pick Highsmith and he’s gonna be learning from someone..why not get someone who actually has been around CFB the last 15 years..if Miami fans are serious about this the they will kick the bushes around college football for the absolutely best candidates

Your very short minded...emigs role is exactly like Chief of football operations. If the goal is to put someone directly over football operations then he’s the perfect type of candidate. As is. Knotts from Washington. There more names you could actually take the time and research who have a better resume for the position then a name you get off Miami twitter and message boards.. It’s not bogus..I’m not saying he’s not qualified..but there’s certainly more qualified ppl with more actual experience at the college level to choose from..you pick Highsmith and he’s gonna be learning from someone..why not get someone who actually has been around CFB the last 15 years..if Miami fans are serious about this the they will kick the bushes around college football for the absolutely best candidates

Well, Beta Blake, I have underestimated your genius.

Certainly, Emig will take a lateral position that probably pays less (do you honestly believe we would pay more than Ohio Taint?) and in a city that has a higher cost of living than Columbus Ohio.

Why are we paying search firms when we could just give you the money to identify names of guys who are very successful, but dumb enough to take a lateral job for less money in a more expensive city?

I'm sure the job will just fill itself.

Well, Beta Blake, I have underestimated your genius.

Certainly, Emig will take a lateral position that probably pays less (do you honestly believe we would pay more than Ohio Taint?) and in a city that has a higher cost of living than Columbus Ohio.

Why are we paying search firms when we could just give you the money to identify names of guys who are very successful, but dumb enough to take a lateral job for less money in a more expensive city?

I'm sure the job will just fill itself.
your short sightedness is missing the overall point..THERE ARE BETTER CANDIDATES OUT THERE TO RESEARCH. Miami would be stupid not to look around instead of picking someone who hasn’t been around the new landscape of CFB. Too sit here and believe Zo would hit the ground running in this role are fooling themselves.

Lastly, Miami should make this decision apart separate from the present state of the program. Meaning this person should have no ties to manny what so ever. This needs to be a long term vision not the short term

Advertisement
What a dopey post.

All you have to do is put about 15 seconds of The U documentary on a permanent loop in the Hecht, and everyone is going to know who Alonzo is.

What are his NFL successes? Why don't you ask, why don't you do some research?

He's had a big part of scouting and building the Packers over a long period of time. And he may have been caught up in a toxic political struggle within Cleveland, but they've identified some pretty good talent for the Browns, even if Kitchens wasn't the right guy to lead the team.
Hey, come out of the past. None of these young cats are sitting at home watching the U documentary. They're into what's hot now - high-paid coaches, facilities, packed stadiums & fan support, prime time games, national rankings, conference titles and playoff runs. They don't give a flip about what happened a generation ago.

Step out of the box - and the past. Don't focus on yesterday, the way it used to be and recycle popular old Canes. Enough with the simplistic Alpha Alonzo talk. Go out and find the best people & get fresh ideas.

your short sightedness is missing the overall point..THERE ARE BETTER CANDIDATES OUT THERE TO RESEARCH. Miami would be stupid not to look around instead of picking someone who hasn’t been around the new landscape of CFB. Too sit here and believe Zo would hit the ground running in this role are fooling themselves.

Lastly, Miami should make this decision apart separate from the present state of the program. Meaning this person should have no ties to manny what so ever. This needs to be a long term vision not the short term

There you go, posting dopey stuff again.

The issue is not "let's hire the best resume". That's how you fail.

Miami would not be "stupid" to hire Alonzo for a newly-created role. There is no template. Where we are going, there are no roads. We can blaze our own trail, we are not going to be compared to anyone else because we are doing our own thing.

We are not hiring another boring "used to work in the ticket office" administrator. We are trying to hire a transformative leader who knows what Miami is supposed to be doing, as a program.

Just because some little Ohio Taint weasel has a college-football-related resume doesn't make him an obvious choice for UM.

Now I know this is Beta Blake's burner account, you are flopping around like a fish trying to come up with any half-baked reason for his "sudden caution". The guy who hired Manny in a few hours and who helped to leak Alonzo as a serious candidate has suddenly gotten the "I want to date other people" bug?

Yeah, NO.

Hey, come out of the past. None of these young cats are sitting at home watching the U documentary. They're into what's hot now - high-paid coaches, facilities, packed stadiums & fan support, prime time games, national rankings, conference titles and playoff runs. They don't give a flip about what happened a generation ago.

Oh, here comes Jen Strawley to defend Beta Blake.

You're right, none of these "young cats" would be impressed with an athletic administrator who is on camera telling the opposing team that he's not scared of them. Yeah, those "young cats" are going to respect Beta Blake more, because he...because he...

Well, I can't think of any reasons why these "young cats" would respect Beta Blake.

First, yes, tl:dr. I need to vent. Sorry.

This is a cluster* on so many levels.

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.

I probably only read about 1/3 of this, but i agree with your general thesisz

the stuff about highsmith is a sideshow. He has no experience running a football program. He is a very high level scout. Miami and manny’s problems are not talent evaluation.

Advertisement
I probably only read about 1/3 of this, but i agree with your general thesisz

the stuff about highsmith is a sideshow. He has no experience running a football program. He is a very high level scout. Miami and manny’s problems are not talent evaluation.

Actually, that IS part of the problem. For whatever ridiculous reason, we have developed 15 years of gun-shyness on pulling the trigger on SoFla offers. Maybe it's the Willie Williams hangover.

Scouting/evaluating is absolutely one part of the equation. Another part is running the football program in a professional manner, internally, which Alonzo can do. And a third part of it is re-establishing credibility in the community, another thing that Alpha Alonzo can do better than Beta Blake.

Actually, that IS part of the problem. For whatever ridiculous reason, we have developed 15 years of gun-shyness on pulling the trigger on SoFla offers. Maybe it's the Willie Williams hangover.

Scouting/evaluating is absolutely one part of the equation. Another part is running the football program in a professional manner, internally, which Alonzo can do. And a third part of it is re-establishing credibility in the community, another thing that Alpha Alonzo can do better than Beta Blake.

it is so far down the list right now it’s not even worth mentioning.

it is so far down the list right now it’s not even worth mentioning.

It is absolutely worth mentioning. Recruiting is the FOUNDATION. If we don't offer some of these SoFla kids soon, they will "form relationships" with coaches elsewhere.

We start with getting the SoFla coaches and players back on our side. We address the assistant coaches next. And we work on rebuilding the culture of hard-work, competition, and accountability.

Alonzo can absolutely accomplish all of those things, while allowing Manny to focus on the new jewelry for 2020.

Advertisement
It is absolutely worth mentioning. Recruiting is the FOUNDATION. If we don't offer some of these SoFla kids soon, they will "form relationships" with coaches elsewhere.

We start with getting the SoFla coaches and players back on our side. We address the assistant coaches next. And we work on rebuilding the culture of hard-work, competition, and accountability.

Alonzo can absolutely accomplish all of those things, while allowing Manny to focus on the new jewelry for 2020.
No problem, let's just hire Alonzo as head coach and be done with it.

No problem, let's just hire Alonzo as head coach and be done with it.

Yeah, Jen, because that is exactly what people have been asking for. Head coach. Overreact and oversimplify much?

Hey, at least if you and your boss Beta Blake hire Alonzo for Head Coach, you would have spent more time considering candidates than you did when you hired Manny.

Yeah, Jen, because that is exactly what people have been asking for. Head coach. Overreact and oversimplify much?

Hey, at least if you and your boss Beta Blake hire Alonzo for Head Coach, you would have spent more time considering candidates than you did when you hired Manny.
Bye, Felicia.

Advertisement

we miss out on elite players that are obviously good and lose to technical schools regularly. Those are much more pressing issues than bad evaluations.

the idea that highsmith, a guy with zero experience running a football program, is going to do that while not actually running the program is just crazy

Advertisement
Back