Alonzo isn't the savior we're making him out to be

All alonzo would do is create an excuse for not firing james next year when manny gets fired. But at the price of more dysfunction and inability to hire someone good into that dynamic post-manny.

Yup. Everyone wants this done yesterday but I think this is a situation that takes some time. I'd love for all the decision-makers to sit down and see if this can grow organically as opposed to forcing a situation that may not play out the way many think it would.

Advertisement
I agree that Zo isn't the savior. It will take a lot more than one guy to fix this sunk ship. But lack of financial resources isn't the problem. They found $1.5 million for that washed up bum Enos. The problem is university wide ineptitude (which goes far beyond football) and apathy.

I agree that Zo isn't the savior. It will take a lot more than one guy to fix this sunk ship. But lack of financial resources isn't the problem. They found $1.5 million for that washed up bum Enos. The problem is university wide ineptitude (which goes far beyond football) and apathy.

I'm not sure about this. More salary for the coaching staff may be lipstick on a pig. That looks good to the outside world. Blake can show the fans he's trying.

Are we in-line with the big programs in terms of a nutritional staff? Athletic trainers? Academic support staff? The stuff people don't see. I doubt it.

Arguably, do you hire 1 Alonzo Highsmith or use that money to hire low level scouts? Or more trainers, dieticians, etc.

You drop a 20 paragraph essay to explain your position then dismiss possible alternatives with this?

Since Butch, we've hired Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt and Manny. Each has failed. We've also had during that same time period how many ADs? (Eichorst, Hocutt, Paul Dee, James.) So hiring and firing isn't the solution IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But the question is, how do you create/define that role without stepping on the coach's toes?
Aren't we really looking for a better AD? I don't get all this talk of adding a position when nearly everybody agrees that our biggest problem is the AD...why not just replace him? Then either Manny gets better or we replace him as well.

Yup. Everyone wants this done yesterday but I think this is a situation that takes some time. I'd love for all the decision-makers to sit down and see if this can grow organically as opposed to forcing a situation that may not play out the way many think it would.
I have written it before but what the UM AD needs to do is absorb recruiting infrastructure into the AD, so it’s persistent and consistent across coaching changes. Recruiting locally is our only edge and as many have pointed out, those seeds take years to grow/harvest. So creating a support function responsible to the HC, dotted line to AAD, would make sense to me. Do not let coaching changes ruin recruiting work that takes years to build. Hire locals to help with this. Make it our incubator.

Advertisement
I agree with you, and it's nice to see somebody actually post something rational on this board for a discussion.

My issue is... 2017 could have spring-boarded us to what could have been a real turn around in this program.

Money started coming in, the "swag" was back, the Turnover Chain took over the college football, national media starting talking about the Canes for real again.

This led the a top 10 recruiting class, season tickets spiked, IPF got finished, Richt looked like the savior....

Then 2018 happened. Back to back terrible season and here we are... same place as the 58-0 loss to Clemson.
We all see that. Nobody's confused about where we are, the question is how to get the **** out of here.

I'm not sure about this. More salary for the coaching staff may be lipstick on a pig. That looks good to the outside world. Blake can show the fans he's trying.

Are we in-line with the big programs in terms of a nutritional staff? Athletic trainers? Academic support staff? The stuff people don't see. I doubt it.

Arguably, do you hire 1 Alonzo Highsmith or use that money to hire low level scouts? Or more trainers, dieticians, etc.

You are raising issues that might prevent us from competing for conference titles and national titles. It's like trying to explain why a 16yo virgin isn't smashing Victoria's Secret models, when homeboy is just trying to get a handy from a 5.

In other words, the not having enough money excuse does not explain losing to FIU, Duke and being shut out by Louisiana Tech in a bowel game. The only thing that explains that level of failure is ineptitude and apathy.

Many times I’ve taken a job with the best intentions and a vision on how to make things better and become a leader.
Most of those times the administration and the people above me were so clueless and departments so frugal with spending that the mission others and myself wanted to accomplish couldn’t even get of the **** ground.
Administrations in all aspects of business are filled with people content with the status quo. High paying positions where meetings and smoke blowing are more important than anything else. People that are even higher up the ladder (board members, investors, etc..) are even more clueless to the everyday happenings and are out of touch with the basics of what they’re invested in or a key a member of. They’re happy with the money coming in and care less about anything else.
Highsmith would be an expense on some spread sheet and if he gets too loud or out of line he would be told to silence himself or get to steppin.

I agree with you, and it's nice to see somebody actually post something rational on this board for a discussion.

My issue is... 2017 could have spring-boarded us to what could have been a real turn around in this program.

Money started coming in, the "swag" was back, the Turnover Chain took over the college football, national media starting talking about the Canes for real again.

This led the a top 10 recruiting class, season tickets spiked, IPF got finished, Richt looked like the savior....

Then 2018 happened. Back to back terrible season and here we are... same place as the 58-0 loss to Clemson.

Right. If we could just get on a roll. But Richt's heart wasn't in it and his OL recruiting was a terrible failure. And now we're here.

Manny ought to be kicking himself over FIU, Duke, La Tech. We were 6-4 on a 3 game win streak. If we close the season with 2 wins, that could have been a springboard. The narrative was being written. Instead, they sh*t the bed.

Advertisement
We all see that. Nobody's confused about where we are, the question is how to get the **** out of here.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. We had every opportunity to really turn this program into something special that year, but clearly failed to do so

I don’t understand why so many are so miffed by this.

This prospective move is definitely a positive step because it’s an acknowledgment/admission that the UM administration, athletic department, and football program specifically, don’t know or understand how to establish a winning football program. It’s a passive admission of guilt and way to show progress/change without anyone especially Blake James receiving any consequences or being fired. Blake James is admitting that he is in over his head.

This also proves that the BOT adore him because they are allocating millions to pay a person to do a huge aspect of his job while also retaining him. They want a “football guy” like John Dorsey was to the Browns. Dorsey is an alpha, and he bullied his way with his peer GMs to the roster and heighten expectation level the Browns established in only two seasons. I’m a lifelong Clevelander and know for sure that the only reason threads were made about the Browns on CIS, is due to the efforts of John Dorsey and Alonzo Highsmith. Those two are program expectation and talent changers.

It’s very obvious to me what Alonzo’s role would be, in a nutshell it is ACCOUNTABILITY. It will mean accountability for every role and position associated with our football program with the exception of Blake James.

Alonzo or whomever is hired to be “Chief of Staff” will be the Athletic Director of the UM football program. Blake will be AD of every other UM sports program, attending football games, doing fundraisers, but an empty suit where the accountability for the football program and it’s results is concerned.

Advertisement
For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

1. Highsmith isn't a coach, so his opinion on the type of scheme Miami runs isn't up to him. If he wants to call those shots, got be a head coach. There is no "massive power struggle" barring the roles are clarified and clearly defined.

2. Any head coach that is hired by a university answers to an athletic director and on some levels, a board of trustees. Let's not act like all head coaches are given full autonomy and a football chief of staff type would be some full-blown deterrent—again, barring roles are clearly defined.

3. Yes, you're right—Highsmith isn't the "savior" for this program—but his hiring would be a step in the right direction as UM doesn't have a president or athletic director that is football-driven—and needs someone handling the duties that a head coach can't handle.

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.

Yes, the problem is bigger than Highsmith—but Miami is getting "outspent" because it is a private school with 10K undergrads in a large, diverse metropolitan city that is an events town and not a sports town. No bigger deterrent for a college head coach than not coaching in a college town, at a powerhouse state school with a massive alumni base that supports the program physically and financially.

Welcome to Miami's biggest quandary in trying to be successful in a big money, big time college football era—as a fan base of mostly non-alum who don't write checks and financially support the program is the real issue here.

Georgia just dumped $200M into their program—and sign up 1,100+ new members to their Magill Society in 2018 at a MINIMUM of $25,000 per-person. You let me know when and where Miami has fans financially signing on at this level to back the program with their checkbooks and you'll see this "outspent" problem going away.

The money will never start "rolling in" at Miami—but yes, things are obviously better when the program is winning. Two years back ticket sales were up because of that 10-0 start—but it still pales in comparison to other programs.

The SEC's TV rights are going from CBS to ESPN / Disney—which will result in a $20M bump in annual revenue for each school in the conference. The SEC is finding millions in their couch cushions, while Miami sold its sold to adidas simply to stay competitive.

As for merch, my family owned All Sports / allCanes for four decades—and even in the greatest of years, Hurricanes merchandise pales in comparison to what other universities see—again, because there's a difference between non-alum fans and loyal alumni whose ties to the program run much deeper than sports.

All those years Michigan, Notre Dame or Ohio State were down in the nineties—they were still outselling Miami in the 80s or even early 2000s when the program was rolling. It's a numbers game and while UM has some national appeal, it's nothing in comparison to major state schools with 40K undergrads, just churning out loyal fans and alum annually.

Yes, the problem is bigger than Highsmith—but Miami is getting "outspent" because it is a private school with 10K undergrads in a large, diverse metropolitan city that is an events town and not a sports town. No bigger deterrent for a college head coach than not coaching in a college town, at a powerhouse state school with a massive alumni base that supports the program physically and financially.

Welcome to Miami's biggest quandary in trying to be successful in a big money, big time college football era—as a fan base of mostly non-alum who don't write checks and financially support the program is the real issue here.

Georgia just dumped $200M into their program—and sign up 1,100+ new members to their Magill Society in 2018 at a MINIMUM of $25,000 per-person. You let me know when and where Miami has fans financially signing on at this level to back the program with their checkbooks and you'll see this "outspent" problem going away.

The money will never start "rolling in" at Miami—but yes, things are obviously better when the program is winning. Two years back ticket sales were up because of that 10-0 start—but it still pales in comparison to other programs.

The SEC's TV rights are going from CBS to ESPN / Disney—which will result in a $20M bump in annual revenue for each school in the conference. The SEC is finding millions in their couch cushions, while Miami sold its sold to adidas simply to stay competitive.

As for merch, my family owned All Sports / allCanes for four decades—and even in the greatest of years, Hurricanes merchandise pales in comparison to what other universities see—again, because there's a difference between non-alum fans and loyal alumni whose ties to the program run much deeper than sports.

All those years Michigan, Notre Dame or Ohio State were down in the nineties—they were still outselling Miami in the 80s or even early 2000s when the program was rolling. It's a numbers game and while UM has some national appeal, it's nothing in comparison to major state schools with 40K undergrads, just churning out loyal fans and alum annually.

Agreed. Has the wave of money that has entered into CFB made us a thing of the past? Can we compete with top dogs for championships? I hate to be gloom and doom, but it doesn't look good.

First, yes, tl:dr. I need to vent. Sorry.

This is a cluster* on so many levels.

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.
Dang...I know your hands are sore after typing this....next time break it down into chapters for us :)

Advertisement
Back