Alonzo isn't the savior we're making him out to be

AlexCane

Senior
First, yes, tl:dr. I need to vent. Sorry.

This is a cluster* on so many levels.

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.

Advertisement

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.
What we fans want is someone to get between Blake James and the football program. Someone that can force Manny to man up or force him out. We don't want Highsmith in a role that is an assistant to the head coach. We wanted him as a powerful figure that could force change. ANYONE that could do this would be an upgrade over Blake James. Especially someone with a ton of NFL front office experience.

Finally someone with sense, thank you sir!!!

What we fans want is someone to get between Blake James and the football program. Someone that can force Manny to man up or force him out. We don't want Highsmith in a role that is an assistant to the head coach. We wanted him as a powerful figure that could force change. ANYONE that could do this would be an upgrade over Blake James. Especially someone with a ton of NFL front office experience.

But the question is, how do you create/define that role without stepping on the coach's toes?

No one said he would be our Savior.

But he could sure point things in the right direction - and probably get the types of players - and coaches we need.

Alonzo can do something few can. Pick up the damned phone and get with a network that few can conceive.

Things that are just intuitive to Alonzo, learned through experience of decades - will never be learned by Manny in decades, because Manny doesn't even have a basic starting point of similar experiences.

Alonzo doesn't have a need to feed his ego - he's a proven winner time and time again -

Manny's never accomplished siht, and will NEVER accept the opportunity to learn from those who are a spring-source of experience and knowledge.

Advertisement
But the question is, how do you create/define that role without stepping on the coach's toes?
You don't. And that is exactly why Saban failed at the Dolphins and is excelling at Bama. Because he wasn't being micromanaged and has full control of the program.

But he could sure point things in the right direction - and probably get the types of players - and coaches we need.

Alonzo can do something few can. Pick up the damned phone and get with a network that few can conceive.

Things that are just intuitive to Alonzo, learned through experience of decades - will never be learned by Manny in decades, because Manny doesn't even have a basic starting point of similar experiences.

But why hire a nanny for Manny? Then fire him and hire someone that doesn't need someone to hold his hand.

I didn’t read all of your post. But me personally I don’t necessarily think Alonzo is the savior, but it’s about time we have a qualified person running our program. Highsmith knows more about football in his left nut than everyone on the BOT and Manny knows in their whole f*cking body. Hiring Alonzo won’t automatically make us contenders but he will bring the right mindset and has connections all over the country. It’s a good start.

Advertisement
No. What we want is for both of them to get fired. And to be replaced with people that know what they're doing.

I didn’t read all of your post. But me personally I don’t necessarily think Alonzo is the savior, but it’s about time we have a qualified person running our program. Highsmith knows more about football in his left nut than everyone on the BOT and Manny knows in their whole f*cking body. Hiring Alonzo won’t automatically make us contenders but he will bring the right mindset and has connections all over the country. It’s a good start.
Basically Highsmith would be the ad of football.

Last edited:
No. What we want is for both of them to get fired. And to be replaced with people that know what they're doing.

And that changes what? The BOT hires another puppet AD. And we hire another head coach set up to fail.

Alonzo doesn't have a need to feed his ego - he's a proven winner time and time again -

Manny's never accomplished siht, and will NEVER accept the opportunity to learn from those who are a spring-source of experience and knowledge.
💯💯💯

Advertisement
All alonzo would do is create an excuse for not firing james next year when manny gets fired. But at the price of more dysfunction and inability to hire someone good into that dynamic post-manny.

But why hire a nanny for Manny? Then fire him and hire someone that doesn't need someone to hold his hand.

Alonzo won't be a nanny. He'd laugh at the idea he was anyone's wet nurse.

But Manny - a cripple - can't be fired NOW.

However, if Highsmith were to lend some support for our cripple - two things would happen.

1. He could help the cripple win a game or two - and even help evalutate/recruit some talent for next year.

2. And if Manny is fired the next year - Alonzo could help UM determine what kind of direction they want the football program to go in - and provide some input on what type of coach is needed - and maybe provide some suggestions.

Manny's going to fail. He's too young, too inexperienced, and way too stubborn. If you don't know what you don't know - then you don't know.

Advertisement
I can’t imagine Zo taking a role to be Manny assistant. He’s way to over qualified for that.

What Fans want as someone said is a football guy. Between Blake and the football program.

This is warranted because 1) we are in a unique position as a sleeping super power who due to our history and prolixity to elite talent are only a few years away from being “back” if the keys are handed to the right person.

Currently we have an AD the board seems to not want to fire. Who is terrible at hiring football coaches and doesn’t have testicular fortitude to demand excellence from his coaches because he simply doesn’t know what that is.

Honestly I stoped reading after you compared Manny to Ryan Day....Ryan day was hand picked by Urban Myer to run his offense...oh other coaches who’ve held that position under Urban are Dan Mullen and Tom Herman. Plus numerous position coaches under Urban have become head coaches. So if Urban thinks you’re the guy to run his offensive that is all the resume you need to command a HC gig.

Manny on the other hand doesn’t have the pedigree and hasn’t show any promise at all as head coach. What is manny really?

Day is a beast offensive mind...

Manny can’t recruit
Can’t motivate
Isn’t that great of a DC as this board makes him out to be. Watch our defense vs the defenses of the teams in the New Years 6 bowls and you see a world of difference. We look good on paper but get shredded by any QB with a pulse and decent accuracy.

I agree with you, and it's nice to see somebody actually post something rational on this board for a discussion.

My issue is... 2017 could have spring-boarded us to what could have been a real turn around in this program.

Money started coming in, the "swag" was back, the Turnover Chain took over the college football, national media starting talking about the Canes for real again.

This led the a top 10 recruiting class, season tickets spiked, IPF got finished, Richt looked like the savior....

Then 2018 happened. Back to back terrible season and here we are... same place as the 58-0 loss to Clemson.

Advertisement
Back