Alonzo isn't the savior we're making him out to be

Great post! Ppl act like Urban Myer and Nick Saban found the secret to 34 hours in a day.

No they take advantage of every resource and the buck stops at them.

We hire these 1st time coaches and unproven coaches and turn the entire thing over to them and then are surprised when they failed.

Miami use to get the best and brightest. Recently we’be settled. We need to be targeting guys like Lincoln Riley before they blow up. guy that have over achieved consistently.

In the meantime we need an alpha like Zo to create a foundation that can pass from coach to coach.
Creating a foundation for success is exactly what Schnelly did. JJ and DE benefitted from that foundation. The difference back then was Howard caught the CFB world by surprise. We can’t surprise anyone today and have gotten so far behind that it will take another Howardesque effort to return to prominence.

Advertisement
First, yes, tl:dr. I need to vent. Sorry.

This is a cluster* on so many levels.

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.

He isn't meant to take over coaching responsibilities.

He's meant to remove Blake James from the equation. He's meant to be an athletic director for football.

Blake James is the problem.

What is so impressive about Highsmith?

He did such a great job with the Browns that he just got fired...

This would be one of those hires that gets Canes fana super excited; the rest of the college football world would shrug it off; we'd get picked to finish in the middle of the pack in the coastal again; we'd act like everyone else is delusional and biased against us; then 6 games into the season we'll be 3-3 and realize we were the idiots all along.

I also see where you are coming from but everything is not getting redone. Thats why I said we don't have picks as fans. The people at the top are not firing themselves.

We do need serious, dramatic changes and adding one guy isn't the answer. But hiring that guy, Alonzo Highsmith is a start. We have to slowly infiltrate and steal back our football program. Zo isn't opposing any person. He would be opposing idiocracy and mediocrity. Whomever falls into that behavior is not a fit and will be removed until the entire organization is filled with like minded individuals willing to win by most means necessary.

Hiring Zo starts the slow death (flips it onto them) process for all the empty
suits who have engineered our decline via benign neglect.
I guess I just don't think he'll be able to do anything when everybody else is opposed to him. That's not a knock against him (and to be honest I have no idea what he thinks should be done- like the rest of you, I'm just assuming he'll see the obvious) I just don't see how he's going to make a change when everybody in the athletic department has a vested interest in what they've already committed to working out. I think these people want to win, but they also think they've got the answers. I think we're all undervaluing how hard it is to say "I've bungled this, I need help".

Actually, that IS part of the problem. For whatever ridiculous reason, we have developed 15 years of gun-shyness on pulling the trigger on SoFla offers. Maybe it's the Willie Williams hangover.

Scouting/evaluating is absolutely one part of the equation. Another part is running the football program in a professional manner, internally, which Alonzo can do. And a third part of it is re-establishing credibility in the community, another thing that Alpha Alonzo can do better than Beta Blake.

When you regularly (almost always?) pull top 25 recruiting classes but can't finish in the top 25 in the rankings, the issue isn't talent. The issue is ineptitude and apathy. We have done less with more than any program in college football for 15 years.

Advertisement
But the question is, how do you create/define that role without stepping on the coach's toes?
It’s the nfl model applied to college. Y’all realize not all innovation starts in college ans then moves up right?Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend. Innovate, be first in a trend not last (like in IPF)

Last edited:
I don't agree with the premise that coaches don't want a "GM type" to assist with personnel and recruiting. Recruiting takes a lot of time and coaches can't do a thorough job scouting 100s of kids every year. Diaz and his assistants don't have the film evaluation and background check skills that Highsmith has. Plenty of coaches would appreciate oversight for those tasks - especially coaches who focus on scheme and development which is what we need.

It's obvious Diaz would view Highsmith as a threat but we all expect him to get canned next season. Then Highsmith will have the opportunity to get a guy who's aligned with him the same way NFL teams do. Bruce Arians specifically wanted the Tampa job because he likes Licht the GM. Arians wanted a GM he trusts to help him build the roster he wants and lots of coaches would gravitate to Highsmith the same way.

Here's what people are hoping for:

Highsmith COS.jpg

First, yes, tl:dr. I need to vent. Sorry.

This is a cluster* on so many levels.

First, everyone thinks hiring Alonzo is a no-brainer. It’s not. Why? Because we have no idea precisely what type of role Alonzo envisions. Think about it. If—and again if because I have no idea—Alonzo wants a role similar to that which he had in the NFL, why or how would Manny—or any other coach for that matter—support that? Let’s assume that Alonzo wants a role where he has input concerning scheme, personnel, staffing, coaching assistants, recruiting, etc. In other words, a role similar to that of an NFL general manager. This is what Barry Jackson hinted at.

This is problematic. You can’t do this to a first year head coach. You’d hamstring him. And if you think Manny is so in over his head that he needs this level of help, then just fire him and hire a coach that can handle both recruiting and coaching—which is, btw, every other college coach in America. And, btw, if he really does need this level of support, then why would UM pay for a head coach and a GM if it could just pay one guy to do that? You really don’t expect UM to pay 2 guys to do 1 person’s job, do you? Not when they can just wait until next year and start over.

Let’s just play this out with what could happen. For example, every Cane fan alive right now wants spread, up-tempo. Let’s take Manny at his word and assume that that is in fact what he wants. What if Alonzo wants to run a different scheme? What if he wants pro-style? Then what? Now you have a massive power struggle internally. That will only sow discontent amongst everyone involved and will likely affect the players and the on-the-field product (and everyone scouring for a new job next offseason).

It also has long-term ramifications. What if we suck again next year and Manny is fired. What coaching talent could we attract if we have a virtual GM in place? Who’d come here? Nobody IMO. Why come here and be overseen by a GM-type if you can go anywhere else and have say (as Parcells would say) over both the ingredients and the meal.

Did anyone see Sean McVay’s statement on the guy FSU hired to be its “chief of staff?” He said, “Truly there’s not much that Bruce has not done for us. From leading our travel operations, organizing training camps, navigating construction at the Coliseum, and keeping our facilities operating at a high level day-in and day-out . . . ” (Also, while searching for that I learned his fiancée is really, really hot.) I suspect this is more along the lines of what Manny and Blake envision. This may not be what Alonzo envisions for himself, hence why I don’t think it’s a no-brainer. It really depends on fit.

Now, ideally, you get Alonzo involved in some way. His heart is in the right place. He wants to help. (****, we all do. I’ll go shag punts if it’ll help.) In my perfect world, he’d be an assistant athletic director yet have a more global, broad approach than a more “boots-on-the-ground” xs and os approach. Think about this. We’re spending millions on the football team. Yet, the decision-maker (James) looks like he’d struggle identifying the difference between i-formation and shotgun. I do not want James making any decisions or recommendations to the BOT concerning retention, hiring or firing coaches. However, I’d be far more comfortable if we had someone very football savvy in that role. This is where Alonzo or a guy like him could succeed. Let’s get someone in place who can speak intelligently to the higher-ups concerning the on-field performance. Get James out of that role.

But, generally speaking, we’re still putting way too much stock in Alonzo. What does anyone really believe 1 man can accomplish? And let’s face it, it’s not like he has any history of fixing a college football program. The problem is bigger than Alonzo. We’re losing the financial war. CFB is becoming a war of resources. He who spends, wins. Its why it’s the same teams year-in, year-out at the top. CFB right now is like a political campaign. The big-spenders have a seat at the table. The others that can’t amass a war chest drop out of the race. This is where we’re f*ed IMO.

Look at OSU as an example. They hired a 40 year old, first time head coach to run their program. (Sound familiar?) Look at Day’s background/resume. Honestly, it’s not all that impressive. He called plays at Temple and BC from 2012-2014. Whoopdeedo. But, OSU has such massive resources and so much financial support, that it’s impossible to fail. They have/had two ocs (Kevin Wilson—who was OC at Oklahoma and head coach at Indiana and Mike Yurcich who ran OSU’s offense from 2013-2018). Each of these guys could likely have taken a job at nearly any school in the country calling plays yet they were hired in roles below their capability/resume to support Day. That’s incredible. But money talks. Same thing on the defensive side for OSU. Day is winning because he has massive support thanks to the infrastructure and financial support at OSU from the top down. Any coach that wins here won’t win because of our infrastructure or financial support—he’ll win in spite of it. That’s the harsh reality.

OSU gave the keys to the Lambo to a 16 year old kid but put him in a parking lot with no nearby objects to hit. Miami, on the other hand, dropped the 16 year old with the keys to a Corolla in the middle of I-95.

I think the point is made, but we’re like a small mom-and-pop shop in small town America and Wal-Mart is moving into town. We’re insistent that our “service” will keep us in business. We know everyone-in-town’s name. We know the families. But we all know how this played out. You can’t compete with the boatload of money. Similarly, we’re stuck thinking we can succeed because “South Florida talent, bro!” and the swag, and a couple 30 for 30s. That doesn’t compare to cash.

For years, we laughed at all the accoutrements established at other schools. The LSU locker room. The Alabama waterfall. Clemson nap halls. We insisted we could do it like we did in the 80s. We had nothing fancy but we won. That time is over. Too much money has poured into college sports. Big money wins. Period.

This is where Blake James fails. He’s not a visionary. He doesn’t have an ego. I want someone that wants a building named after them. That wants to make a name for himself. We need someone in that role that wants to double the financial resources for the team and triple the staff. Instead, we have a dude that appears happy and complacent that he has a really good job with the full support of those that matter. I mean, I guess you could point to the fact that the IPF was built under his watch as a success for him, but does it get built if not for Richt clamoring for it and putting his money where his mouth is?

Unfortunately, this is bigger than Alonzo or one role. We’re just getting outspent period. Alonzo would be a good start, but that’s all it is, a start. He’s not a savior. The expectations need to be tempered. It’s not about 1 dude and adding another $200,000 or so in salary. It’s about pouring in millions. And that’s not coming in anytime soon. And until then, we can anticipate that the results will be the same.

How does it get fixed? IMO, the only way is if we start winning and money starts rolling in. It’s like your 401(k). If the returns are .01%, you invest little. If the returns are 10%, you invest more. If we can win, money starts rolling in. I’m sure donors donate more when the product is good. Attendance is up. Merch sales are up. So, God bless you Manny. Find a way to win.
We are at the bottom I’ll try something different before I knock it!

Advertisement
we miss out on elite players that are obviously good and lose to technical schools regularly. Those are much more pressing issues than bad evaluations.

the idea that highsmith, a guy with zero experience running a football program, is going to do that while not actually running the program is just crazy

First, the elite players that we miss out on are NOT the ones on whom we delay giving an offer. All the SoFla kids who went to Bama and Clemson had offers from Miami 2 years prior. I am talking about kids with athletic ability and leadership skills who are being used incorrectly at their high schools, or had an injury, or are late bloomers. This is where Alonzo's scouting ability comes into play, that and the leadership that he offers in moving Miami from a "wait-and-see" coaching staff to a "we-want-to-be-your-first-offer" coaching staff.

Second, you are flat out lying when you say he has "zero experience running a football program". That is just not true. Now, if you want to say that his experience is at the NFL level and not the college level, that is fine, but to say that he has no experience is just insane. And to act as if a guy with nearly 20 years of NFL front office experience is incapable of transitioning to the college level is just nuts.

It's clear you feel the considered position won't change things, fine. But why go at Highsmith like you did with this title? What part did he play for The U other giving it his blood, sweat and tears?

Advertisement
When you regularly (almost always?) pull top 25 recruiting classes but can't finish in the top 25 in the rankings, the issue isn't talent. The issue is ineptitude and apathy. We have done less with more than any program in college football for 15 years.

Yep.

Think about what has CONSISTENTLY gone wrong across 5 coaching staffs.

Annual top 25 talent, but almost never finishing ranked in the top 25.

Annually picked as a top ACC team, never won an ACC Championship (and only one ACC-CG appearance).

We have gone 1-9 in our past 10 bowl games.

We sign top HS football talent, they "underperform" in college, and then they miraculously make an NFL roster.

We end coaching careers. Shannon, Golden, and Richt may never be head coaches again. Same with Manny if he gets fired. Coker had to go to a school that was STARTING its football program from scratch.

Here is a depressing statistic, maybe someone with better computer skills can put this into a table and post it.

Year, Rivals Recruiting Ranking, Final AP Poll Ranking

2003: RRR-5----------AP-5
2004: RRR-4----------AP-11
2005: RRR-7----------AP-17
2006: RRR-14---------AP-unranked
2007: RRR-19---------AP-unranked
2008: RRR-5----------AP-unranked
2009: RRR-15---------AP-19
2010: RRR-16---------AP-unranked
2011: RRR-36---------AP-unranked
2012: RRR-9----------AP-unranked
2013: RRR-20---------AP-unranked
2014: RRR-12---------AP-unranked
2015: RRR-26---------AP-unranked
2016: RRR-23---------AP-20
2017: RRR-11---------AP-13
2018: RRR-6----------AP-unranked
2019: RRR-36---------AP-unranked

Now, I realize that it takes a couple of years for the recruiting classes to become upperclassmen, but we played for the national championship (and technically won it) in the 2002 season (game played in 2003). So there was plenty of talent for the 2003-2005 seasons.

For the next FOURTEEN seasons, we have finished the year as a ranked team THREE times.

We have a problem. It is not limited to one coaching staff. It is not "certain players". It is much, much bigger than that.

First, the elite players that we miss out on are NOT the ones on whom we delay giving an offer. All the SoFla kids who went to Bama and Clemson had offers from Miami 2 years prior. I am talking about kids with athletic ability and leadership skills who are being used incorrectly at their high schools, or had an injury, or are late bloomers. This is where Alonzo's scouting ability comes into play, that and the leadership that he offers in moving Miami from a "wait-and-see" coaching staff to a "we-want-to-be-your-first-offer" coaching staff.

Second, you are flat out lying when you say he has "zero experience running a football program". That is just not true. Now, if you want to say that his experience is at the NFL level and not the college level, that is fine, but to say that he has no experience is just insane. And to act as if a guy with nearly 20 years of NFL front office experience is incapable of transitioning to the college level is just nuts.

alonzo highsmith is a scout. Working in the front office as a high level scout does not equate running a football program. Missing Out on kids like tutu atwell is very far down the list of things to fix

Advertisement
alonzo highsmith is a scout. Working in the front office as a high level scout does not equate running a football program. Missing Out on kids like tutu atwell is very far down the list of things to fix

He began in scouting. He has done much more in recent years.

And, no, missing out on kids is NOT "very far down on the list of things to fix". It is, chronologically, the first thing that needs to be fixed.

Fortunately, most people can work on more than one priority in the same timeframe.

He began in scouting. He has done much more in recent years.

And, no, missing out on kids is NOT "very far down on the list of things to fix". It is, chronologically, the first thing that needs to be fixed.

Fortunately, most people can work on more than one priority in the same timeframe.

no its not. We arent losing to FIU because we missed on random local kids

no its not. We arent losing to FIU because we missed on random local kids

I expected you to start changing the parameters as you lost the debate.

Nobody said "random local kids".

But for over a decade, we have been recruiting SoFla poorly. You can't just isolate on one particular kid. This is a hallmark of Miami football. We are losing out on MULTIPLE good players EVERY SINGLE YEAR because we d!ck around in recruiting.

So, yes, the recruiting needs to be fixed ASAFP. To say otherwise is just idiotic. You're going to sit around waiting for an org chart and a job description while every good kid in SoFla makes friends with out-of-state coaches? Ri-goddam-diculous.

I don't mind you advocating for the firing of Beta Blake and Manny, but if it isn't clear by now, Lame Duck Julio and the Board of Trustee-Morons are not going to fire Beta Blake this year, and barring some wild turn of events, Manny will still be the coach when the season starts.

So the rest of us, while potentially supportive of firing Beta Blake and Manny, also do not want to sit around doing nothing for another year.

But, sure, that's what you want to do. Advocate for something that isn't going to happen (the firings) and complain about the thing that could be done (hiring Alonzo), simply because you want an org chart and job description.

Brilliant.

Advertisement
Back