Alonzo Highsmith was the guy we needed most

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
We’re in a good spot for now. Say whatever you will. Those two guys aren’t coming. He’s not responsible for either one of those guys and we both know it. However, Pete in his early years wasn’t exactly a college and pro football hall of game coach. Ed is the right guy at the right time like always. Manny is fine for now. It’s not happening overnight. No savior is coming. It’s going to take 85 great kids and that’s exactly what manny is doing correctly. If you can’t see that and understand how long it’s going to take, you’re wrong about more than Alonzo. He wouldn’t have been the worst choice, but what Ed brings in culture and recruiting Alonzo never could have by himself, without burning all down again. That’s the answer and the truth.
Never said Pete was coming, said he hired Alonzo in Seattle. Now Bob Stoops on the other hand took a job a defunct league and has a relationship with Alonso and the perspective AD. Look Ed Reed is an NFL HOF member and can be a huge recruiting tool for sure, however He is not the guy to rebuild the program. Just curious. what is Ed’s job. Also why didn’t UM pursue Ed before Alonzo. Part of the administration is the minor leagues and feared Highsmith getting the position. People I trust say it’s much of the same with Manny and Blake, you think not. We’ll see who is right and your points are respected

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
The UM football program is not in good hands and it starts with Blake and Manny. Alonso Highsmith was our best chance to right the ship and Blake and Manny were in panic mode when the possibility of Al coming home was real. We had the opportunity to bring a respected NFL front office guy to start an actual rebuild of our program and we fumbled the ball. Blake and Manny hired Ed Reed as a PR stunt and anyone who doesn’t believe that has no clue. Alonso had a plan to do what was needed to reconstruct the program and sadly the administration didn’t get it done. We have a mediocre squad in a one team conference and who we have calling the shots are Overmatched . We are so far from the elite programs in the country it’s comical, gimmicks, chains and smoke and mirrors are not the answer.

We could have hired BOTH Alonzo and Ed.

I am not sure how much money we are able to spend, but I assume its not that much compared to other colleges considering we are a private school.

And thats a problem in this world.

Never said Pete was coming, said he hired Alonso in Seattle. Now Bob Stoops on the other hand took a job a defunct league and has a relationship with Alonso and the perspective AD. Look Ed Reed is an NFL HOF member and can be a huge recruiting tool for sure, however He is not the guy to rebuild the program. Just curious. what is Ed’s job. Also why didn’t UM pursue Ed before Alonso. Our administration is the minor leagues and feared Highsmith getting the position. People I trust say it’s much of the same with Manny and Blake, you think not. We’ll see who is right and your points are respected
I never said Ed was the guy to do rebuild the program. Manny is the guy for now. We didn’t need another lame duck coach. We needed to have stability and get at least four top ten classes of four and five star athlete. It’s happening. Will Manny be here in four years... I don’t know. I do know, if he’s gone he will leave behind enough talent for the next guy to win and capitalize off of the brand in Dade and Broward. That’s the long game and the right one. I’ll let Clappy, Shannon, Golden and Richt prove my point. Also, I don’t have friends with access and knowledge who’s opinions I look to. I trust me, my eyes, high school coaches and the kids. They’re more tuned into this thing and honest than anyone inside of those four walls. My opinion is as educated as anyone’s you know.

Advertisement
We need an organizational overhaul, mentality is about 10th on the list! Blake would have been gone years ago at any major school with his hires. Accountability, the word this program was built on , is lacking from the top down.

Exactly. No one is raiding our sideline for any of our guys including Lashlee. I know who Al was working with, the upgrades would have been immediate and productive. Blake was not comfortable with the potential transition, his days were numbered. Alonso had his AD on standby. Blake’s buddy was also on borrowed time. We are a mid level program that has beaten no one and those are the facts. We are six games into the season and cannot line up properly. We played one team with a pulse and got exposed. Last night was an uninspired football team that went thru the motions, brutal to watch. It starts at the top. Wake up folks
Nothing to do with inspiration. We are badly coached fundamentally because of unqualified position coaches all over the staff

I thought this for a while, until I really started looking at the age gap between someone like Highsmith and these current kids.

Most of these kids weren't even alive when Ed Reed and the 2001 Canes won it all.

Have a hard time believing this coddled generation would respond well to Highsmith's old school, hard *** way of thinking.

The best we could've hoped for in this position was Reed, who is an asset to Diaz and is much more present on game day than most were expecting—when calling this a PR stunt months back.
They respond well to Saban. Coaches who can coach, just can and they evolve. AJ was evaluating kids that's coming out of college. He wasnt living in Timbuktu

Advertisement
What’s getting the 4 or 5 star kids if they’re not going to be coached up to their potential?
We already have the 4 star players and I’m seeing them regress. The stars on the field are mostly the transfer kids.

I don’t see what a few of you guys are seeing, but hopefully I can be blessed to wake up everyday for the next few years and see the fruition, we will see one way or another, that’s for sure!

Just curios since you have all the answers. Would Bob Stoops be an upgrade from Manny Diaz? Does Pete Carroll know a little about successful programs and organizations ( FYI he hired Al in Seattle when Blake and Manny got scared), Alonso did ok with GB and the Browns and the NFL contacts he has would be a huge upgrade in building a program. I trust people in the league like the 9ers front office and their opinions more than most.
Like I said, it’s going in the right direction. I’m sure your friends have an opinion about every program and staff. I’m only interested in this one. Like I said, it’s happening the only way it can down here now. It’s a good thing. Your friends and you don’t have to agree with me. They only have to watch and enjoy the show.

Advertisement
bc you said venables, do you even trust him to come in and be the elite coach at his first coaching job as an HC in the p5 right away? youre still getting unproven coach on his first real HC job. similar to smart, where he has the backing of boosters to spend unlimited money to make up for where he lacks (coaching -- offense specifically). smart w better players than richt has been worse than richt in an easier SEC east.

I hear you and to be honest, I'm not really sure. Someone will back the Brinks truck up though for him.

Personal opinion, I think he'll be as good as Smart, the guy at UF, and what most good coaches are basically. His services will be brought to a school that prioritizes winning. He'll field an elite defense. He's been a big part of building Clemson up to where it is. He shows up in a recruits living room, they would be wise to listen.

Could he get whatever school over the hump? I don't know. I think he could be in contention, but build another Clemson would be a tough call. I would watch out for Texas when that job opens.

I never said Ed was the guy to do rebuild the program. Manny is the guy for now. We didn’t need another lame duck coach. We needed to have stability and get at least four top ten classes of four and five star athlete. It’s happening. Will Manny be here in four years... I don’t know. I do know, if he’s gone he will leave behind enough talent for the next guy to win and capitalize off of the brand in Dade and Broward. That’s the long game and the right one. I’ll let Clappy, Shannon, Golden and Richt prove my point. Also, I don’t have friends with access and knowledge who’s opinions I look to. I trust me, my eyes, high school coaches and the kids. They’re more tuned into this thing and honest than anyone inside of those four walls. My opinion is as educated as anyone’s you know.
Like I said, it’s going in the right direction. I’m sure your friends have an opinion about every program and staff. I’m only interested in this one. Like I said, it’s happening the only way it can down here now. It’s a good thing. Your friends and you don’t have to agree with me. They only have to watch and enjoy the show.
Several of my “friends” played here, one was a pretty good OC, one a pretty good QB and pretty good WR and they are not enjoying the show. Last nights “show” cured insomnia. This team is heading in the wrong direction. We beat 5 teams on life support is

Do what you have to do my man. My info comes from people with way more knowledge than anyone here.

Then you should know that Alonzo's job right now is basically a glorified assistant job as far as front office jobs go. He's there not because Pete Carroll found him and saw the light, but due to his longtime relationship with John Schneider. All these jobs go to friends or friends of friends.

He was replaced in Cleveland by our very own Glen Cook.

Highsmith is a very good man, but man he's being built up based on nothing by Bernie here. Not saying he doesn't bring things to the table, but he has no experience in what he's suggested.

Advertisement
The UM football program is not in good hands and it starts with Blake and Manny. Alonso Highsmith was our best chance to right the ship and Blake and Manny were in panic mode when the possibility of Al coming home was real. We had the opportunity to bring a respected NFL front office guy to start an actual rebuild of our program and we fumbled the ball. Blake and Manny hired Ed Reed as a PR stunt and anyone who doesn’t believe that has no clue. Alonso had a plan to do what was needed to reconstruct the program and sadly the administration didn’t get it done. We have a mediocre squad in a one team conference and who we have calling the shots are Overmatched . We are so far from the elite programs in the country it’s comical, gimmicks, chains and smoke and mirrors are not the answer.
Soon as we would of have had a lost a game or two , y’all would of wanted highsmith gone and PR or not Ed reed was a good hire . His hire has payed off already in recruiting and what has highsmith done so great for everybody to want him so bad , go to the nfl and get fired ? I know it’s a plus that he is African American and that a plus for recruiting but why so many threads and hype ?

Is this the 50th or 51st time this guy has posted the exact same thing on a thread?

Advertisement
Back