Alonzo Highsmith was the guy we needed most

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
I thought this for a while, until I really started looking at the age gap between someone like Highsmith and these current kids.

Most of these kids weren't even alive when Ed Reed and the 2001 Canes won it all.

Have a hard time believing this coddled generation would respond well to Highsmith's old school, hard *** way of thinking.

The best we could've hoped for in this position was Reed, who is an asset to Diaz and is much more present on game day than most were expecting—when calling this a PR stunt months back.
My understanding was Zo was supposed to keep the coaching staff in line, not the players

Advertisement
My understanding was Zo was supposed to keep the coaching staff in line, not the players
You sir are correct. Those with the orange and green Pom poms have no clue what an elite major college football program is all about. When UM started to move the goal posts regarding Highsmith’s position, he respectfully said no thanks and see you later. Certain members of the BOT and administration contacted Al for a reason if you watch the product, it’s easy to see why.

Advertisement
Then you should know that Alonzo's job right now is basically a glorified assistant job as far as front office jobs go. He's there not because Pete Carroll found him and saw the light, but due to his longtime relationship with John Schneider. All these jobs go to friends or friends of friends.

He was replaced in Cleveland by our very own Glen Cook.

Highsmith is a very good man, but man he's being built up based on nothing by Bernie here. Not saying he doesn't bring things to the table, but he has no experience in what he's suggested.

Alonzo was so good he went from the Packers to the Browns

Was he in charge of the front office with the Packers? I’m sure Rodgers was thrilled with him

Advertisement
Kids these days respond to Saban. He’s a hard ***. Meyer was no cuddly players coach. And neither is Dabo, despite the ‘family’ atmosphere he projects. Kirby Smart is a Saban disciple.

I’d love to see video of Manny seriously getting in a player’s face.

Doesn’t exist, I’ll bet.
😂Have u spent any time with any of the coaches u named tho..I’ve literally only seen saban get in one persons *** on the sideline and that was Lane kiffin. When I see him yelling it’s usually at assistants

We need an organizational overhaul, mentality is about 10th on the list! Blake would have been gone years ago at any major school with his hires. Accountability, the word this program was built on , is lacking from the top down.

Exactly. No one is raiding our sideline for any of our guys including Lashlee. I know who Al was working with, the upgrades would have been immediate and productive. Blake was not comfortable with the potential transition, his days were numbered. Alonso had his AD on standby. Blake’s buddy was also on borrowed time. We are a mid level program that has beaten no one and those are the facts. We are six games into the season and cannot line up properly. We played one team with a pulse and got exposed. Last night was an uninspired football team that went thru the motions, brutal to watch. It starts at the top. Wake up folks
Spot on we are IRRELEVANT and will remain that way until Manny and Blake are gone............

This is a clear case of what Donna Shalala has done to the University in general............she brought in this Liberal attitude and all it does is destroy everything in its path , unfortunately the fans are the ones who suffer the most.........

Manny got this job thru his fathers political Ties and the universities BOT.........

Anyone that cannot see the issues here are in for the total destruction Canes Football..........

Advertisement
I am talking about rebuilding a sinking ship. Ed is a great guy to have around the program but Alonso is what is needed to reconstruct from the ground up. Two totally different things. Alonso had the people you need to get the job done and we fumbled the ball. We need an overhaul starting with Blake and Manny and if You talk if you talk to anyone in the business they will tell you so. No disrespect to Ed but what he is hired to do has limits, Al would have had no limits and that was the problem, certain people in the program knew what was coming and that isn't my opinion!
Again, again and again, I say that the BOT screwed the program by going backwards after Richt. They have hired a best buddy head coach that coaches like he is scared to **** somebody off.

It’s not fair to make comparisons to the best college coaches, but to be honest, if someone like Saban was here starting to try and turn things around...or ****, even an Alonzo type guy....there would not be smiles, fist pumping in the air and locker room celebrations after that kind of putrid performance. They would make these kids never forget the week after so as to never go through it again.

UM

I am talking about rebuilding a sinking ship. Ed is a great guy to have around the program but Alonso is what is needed to reconstruct from the ground up. Two totally different things. Alonso had the people you need to get the job done and we fumbled the ball. We need an overhaul starting with Blake and Manny and if You talk if you talk to anyone in the business they will tell you so. No disrespect to Ed but what he is hired to do has limits, Al would have had no limits and that was the problem, certain people in the program knew what was coming and that isn't my opinion!
From what I know, I'd be surprised if Reed returns. Agreed entirely with the OP's message.

Advertisement
You think that ed reed ain't seeing this. He's not a potted plant, he is here to clean up the mentality mess. Don't worry, ED REED is going to fix it.
Yes. He is seeing but he's limited as to what he can do. He has no authority to fix it. Diaz and James would have to approve changes and they won't go for that

Butch’s last staff at Miami included three future NFL HCs and future college HCs. Any of Shannon’s, Golden’s, or Richt’s staff move on to bigger and better things?
Don’t think so.. It’s an indictment of the quality of coaching here these last 15 years.

I thought this for a while, until I really started looking at the age gap between someone like Highsmith and these current kids.

Most of these kids weren't even alive when Ed Reed and the 2001 Canes won it all.

Have a hard time believing this coddled generation would respond well to Highsmith's old school, hard *** way of thinking.

The best we could've hoped for in this position was Reed, who is an asset to Diaz and is much more present on game day than most were expecting—when calling this a PR stunt months back.
Please enlighten me what Reed does that doesn’t make it a PR stunt. He literally has no power and is rarely on campus. Diaz and Blake James knew this move would smooth out the Highsmith talk.....and it did. I love Reed but there is absolutely no doubt this was a PR stunt. The fact that a senior just told us there is no accountability in the program only solidifies this program is a fraud at 5-1. Reality will hit soon but when it does Manny will be given a contract extension and it will be too late.

Advertisement
Back