Alonzo Highsmith was the guy we needed most

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25719

The UM football program is not in good hands and it starts with Blake and Manny. Alonzo Highsmith was our best chance to right the ship and Blake and Manny were in panic mode when the possibility of Al coming home was real. We had the opportunity to bring a respected NFL front office guy to start an actual rebuild of our program and we fumbled the ball. Blake and Manny hired Ed Reed as a PR stunt and anyone who doesn’t believe that has no clue. Alonzo had a plan to do what was needed to reconstruct the program and sadly the administration didn’t get it done. We have a mediocre squad in a one team conference and who we have calling the shots are Overmatched . We are so far from the elite programs in the country it’s comical, gimmicks, chains and smoke and mirrors are not the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Anyone who Belize Ed Reed is part of a PR stunt DON'T NO A COT DAM THING!
I am talking about rebuilding a sinking ship. Ed is a great guy to have around the program but Alonzo is what is needed to reconstruct from the ground up. Two totally different things. Al had the people you need to get the job done and we fumbled the ball. We need an overhaul starting with Blake and Manny and if You talk if you talk to anyone in the business they will tell you so. No disrespect to Ed but what he is hired to do has limits, Al would have had no limits and that was the problem, certain people in the program knew what was coming and that isn't my opinion!

What has Highsmith accomplished in the NFL for you to think this? Because he was in a front office of the packers or was it his time with the browns where they remained a laughing stock?

Can you give proper examples of what he would do differently here than some generic answers like give the team a different mindset?

What exactly has he built?

Who knows, maybe he does a great job and maybe he doesn't. I would be very hesitant to label him anything other than a question mark as to what he could or couldn't do. Everyone who has come here has had a plan. Plans don't equal automatic success.

Advertisement
What exactly has he built?

Who knows, maybe he does a great job and maybe he doesn't. I would be very hesitant to label him anything other than a question mark as to what he could or couldn't do. Everyone who has come here has had a plan. Plans don't equal automatic success.
Firstly he would not stand for a glorified high school staff or and AD that ran a ticket office. Have you ever seen the machine the elite schools operate? Our Athletic and football ops dept are a joke. Look at who we’ve hired in 20 years. Ever follow our assistants and where they’ve gone when the left here. I don’t care where he worked, the NFL is the NFL and he is respected by all. His access to coaches would easily surpass what we have on our sideline. His idea of a real AD would be a huge upgrade. What we’ve done over the last 20 years is a disgrace and I’ll listen to people that know what it takes to run a successful program before I listen to the CIS All Stars. You are watching Incompetent smoke and mirrors, not a football program on the rise. Reality is tough to deal with!

You think that ed reed ain't seeing this. He's not a potted plant, he is here to clean up the mentality mess. Don't worry, ED REED is going to fix it.

Advertisement
We can have a bad game, we have witnessed that with alot of teams this season. A win is a WIN. Up and down. We are 5 -1 . Keep positive.

We can have a bad game, we have witnessed that with alot of teams this season. A win is a WIN. Up and down. We are 5 -1 . Keep positive.
You are correct. In addition, this isn't 2017 5-1 when we were pulling rabbits out of the hat to win. We have controlled every win we've had and have never really been down in any game except Clemson. All the wins haven't been pretty but really never in doubt. This is different than previous years.

You are correct. In addition, this isn't 2017 5-1 when we were pulling rabbits out of the hat to win. We have controlled every win we've had and have never really been down in any game except Clemson. All the wins haven't been pretty but really never in doubt. This is different than previous years.
Very well said.

Advertisement
Firstly he would not stand for a glorified high school staff or and AD that ran a ticket office. Have you ever seen the machine the elite schools operate? Our Athletic and football ops dept are a joke. Look at who we’ve hired in 20 years. Ever follow our assistants and where they’ve gone when the left here. I don’t care where he worked, the NFL is the NFL and he is respected by all. His access to coaches would easily surpass what we have on our sideline. His idea of a real AD would be a huge upgrade. What we’ve done over the last 20 years is a disgrace and I’ll listen to people that know what it takes to run a successful program before I listen to the CIS All Stars. You are watching Incompetent smoke and mirrors, not a football program on the rise. Reality is tough to deal with!
I think an underrated aspect of coaching is that access to assistants you mention.

Advertisement
The UM football program is not in good hands and it starts with Blake and Manny. Alonso Highsmith was our best chance to right the ship and Blake and Manny were in panic mode when the possibility of Al coming home was real. We had the opportunity to bring a respected NFL front office guy to start an actual rebuild of our program and we fumbled the ball. Blake and Manny hired Ed Reed as a PR stunt and anyone who doesn’t believe that has no clue. Alonso had a plan to do what was needed to reconstruct the program and sadly the administration didn’t get it done. We have a mediocre squad in a one team conference and who we have calling the shots are Overmatched . We are so far from the elite programs in the country it’s comical, gimmicks, chains and smoke and mirrors are not the answer.

I thought this for a while, until I really started looking at the age gap between someone like Highsmith and these current kids.

Most of these kids weren't even alive when Ed Reed and the 2001 Canes won it all.

Have a hard time believing this coddled generation would respond well to Highsmith's old school, hard *** way of thinking.

The best we could've hoped for in this position was Reed, who is an asset to Diaz and is much more present on game day than most were expecting—when calling this a PR stunt months back.

You think that ed reed ain't seeing this. He's not a potted plant, he is here to clean up the mentality mess. Don't worry, ED REED is going to fix it.
We need an organizational overhaul, mentality is about 10th on the list! Blake would have been gone years ago at any major school with his hires. Accountability, the word this program was built on , is lacking from the top down.
I think an underrated aspect of coaching is that access to assistants you mention.
Exactly. No one is raiding our sideline for any of our guys including Lashlee. I know who Al was working with, the upgrades would have been immediate and productive. Blake was not comfortable with the potential transition, his days were numbered. Alonzo had his AD on standby. Blake’s buddy was also on borrowed time. We are a mid level program that has beaten no one and those are the facts. We are six games into the season and cannot line up properly. We played one team with a pulse and got exposed. Last night was an uninspired football team that went thru the motions, brutal to watch. It starts at the top. Wake up folks

I really wish some of you actually knew the campus, a coach, a football player and maybe some recruits. If you did, you might understand why we are where we are currently as a program. It’s not as simple as flipping a switch in south Florida. Maybe Manny is the guy and maybe he’s not. However, we are headed in the right direction. Outside of hiring a Saben or urban, we are in a good spot. Let it happen. It’s going to be ok. Coaching is the least of our worries. Patience. We won’t compete at the level we can, until we close a few more elite classes. After that, all bets are off. It can’t be a **** show anymore.

Advertisement
Back