Alonzo Highsmith was the guy we needed most

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
I really wish some of you actually knew the campus, a coach, a football player and maybe some recruits. If you did, you might understand why we are where we are currently as a program. It’s not as simple as flipping a switch in south Florida. Maybe Manny is the guy and maybe he’s not. However, we are headed in the right direction. Outside of hiring a Saben or urban, we are in a good spot. Let it happen. It’s going to be ok. Coaching is the least of our worries. Patience. We won’t compete at the level we can, until we close a few more elite classes. After that, all bets are off. It can’t be a **** show anymore.
Manny Diaz has recruited every single player on Defense. This is year 5 under his Defense. Our depth at LB and CB is a god **** joke. It is literally the worst Defense we have had since Golden. Why do we need more patience?

Advertisement
Manny Diaz has recruited every single player on Defense. This is year 5 under his Defense. Our depth at LB and CB is a god **** joke. It is literally the worst Defense we have had since Golden. Why do we need more patience.

offers and commitments are two very different things. We are pulling higher quality football players now. Very few coaches get everything right their first year. Let’s not burn it all down today and ruin the next two years like we’ve done in the past. Fsu is doing it now. Hopefully the pull a Miami and Norvell is walking dead until 2023. That will kill them, much like we’ve killed ourselves. It’s going to take a minute. It’s better than taking another twenty years. Allow this program to build the depth you’re lamenting. Maybe you haven’t noticed, but next session we’ll have three five stars (or more) on defense. We haven’t had one in as long as I can remember.

Manny Diaz has recruited every single player on Defense. This is year 5 under his Defense. Our depth at LB and CB is a god **** joke. It is literally the worst Defense we have had since Golden. Why do we need more patience?
Your assessment is not wrong, but another thing to consider is how much the ****** offense has brought down defensive recruiting. If you had a choice between playing in a good defense like ours or a good defense that wins 10 games every year, which would you pick?

I'm not making any excuses for the defensive staff with this statement, just about the breadth and depth of talent to work with.

Butch’s last staff at Miami included three future NFL HCs and future college HCs. Any of Shannon’s, Golden’s, or Richt’s staff move on to bigger and better things?
Butch if he was hired would have put together an excellent staff. I must admit i was laughing when Butch schooled
CMD last year.

Advertisement
lolol, I thought it was Ed Reed! For our program It’s always the guy or player we don’t have! There is some that seems to be systematic with it!!! We always get the wrong south Florida players or coaches! Stacy searles offensive line looked like world beaters Saturday! His only good thing in coral gables is Zion Nelson! Smh

The UM football program is not in good hands and it starts with Blake and Manny. Alonzo Highsmith was our best chance to right the ship and Blake and Manny were in panic mode when the possibility of Al coming home was real. We had the opportunity to bring a respected NFL front office guy to start an actual rebuild of our program and we fumbled the ball. Blake and Manny hired Ed Reed as a PR stunt and anyone who doesn’t believe that has no clue. Alonzo had a plan to do what was needed to reconstruct the program and sadly the administration didn’t get it done. We have a mediocre squad in a one team conference and who we have calling the shots are Overmatched . We are so far from the elite programs in the country it’s comical, gimmicks, chains and smoke and mirrors are not the answer.
How was the ball fumbled? And how was Blake and Manny able to override any decision from above their heads? If the people with money wanted this to happen how Can a head coach and AD stop it from happening?

Advertisement
Just wondering ,...,Just wondering if you regret defending me two months ago. Looks like everything I said what’s accurate, what do you say
I say there's nobody who realistically think this staff is at the level of Clemson, OSU or Bama, now or before this loss. I also say that starting this thread after we beat UVA was ill timed for someone who is obviously close to OSU. You put yourself in a position to be dismissed as an OSU troll, not me.

That said, after this horrid loss, this thread is particularly relevant, even if it is an exercise in futility. Manny will get 2021 to fix things. Meanwhile, we can hope the BOT and administration take steps to make sure we don't keep repeating these mistakes.

I say there's nobody who realistically think this staff is at the level of Clemson, OSU or Bama, now or before this loss. I also say that starting this thread after we beat UVA was ill timed for someone who is obviously close to OSU. You put yourself in a position to be dismissed as an OSU troll, not me.

That said, after this horrid loss, this thread is particularly relevant, even if it is an exercise in futility. Manny will get 2021 to fix things. Meanwhile, we can hope the BOT and administration take steps to make sure we don't keep repeating these mistakes.
If you could not see this was a mediocre mid level Power 5 football team after Virginia and Pitt you are not looking realistically at the condition of the UM. football program. Because I am well aware of what it takes to build such a program I am called “an Ohio State troll”. Don’t really care I just know Miami football is going nowhere, the entire program needs total reconstruction. Don’t buy into the smoke and mirrors of this clown show.

If you could not see this was a mediocre mid level Power 5 football team after Virginia and Pitt you are not looking realistically at the condition of the UM. football program. Because I am well aware of what it takes to build such a program I am called “an Ohio State troll”. Don’t really care I just know Miami football is going nowhere, the entire program needs total reconstruction. Don’t buy into the smoke and mirrors of this clown show.
My assessment of the timing has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with public opinion.

Most don't know the role that the AD/administration can play in the process and think everything falls on the coaches or personnel. Championship teams require excellence across the board. You can back into one by catching lightning in a bottle (LSU), but you see where that's led.

Advertisement
My assessment of the timing has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with public opinion.

Most don't know the role that the AD/administration can play in the process and think everything falls on the coaches or personnel. Championship teams require excellence across the board. You can back into one by catching lightning in a bottle (LSU), but you see where that's led.
Here let me simplify it programs win championships not smoke and mirrors. For the last time we are a minor-league mid power five level football program.m, period. Tear down the house, dig up the foundation and start anew and that is the only answer. Remember the old saying if you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got and that is Miami hurricane football in black-and-white

How was the ball fumbled? And how was Blake and Manny able to override any decision from above their heads? If the people with money wanted this to happen how Can a head coach and AD stop it from happening?
Plenty of ways not worth talking about because the ship has sailed

Invest in your program. Clemson did so, only after they got lucky with hiring Dabo for less than a mill per year. He showed he could recruit and have some success, but the gloves came off after getting embarrassed by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. They forked out the cash to hire Venables, saw the return, and now pay this guy who was a WR coach and a loss to SC away from not being hired full time 9.3 a year. They pay to keep his Grade A staff, etc. A decision here or there, with some investment and you reap your rewards, just like investing in yourself or your future.

Miami takes the easy way out, constantly.

Advertisement
Flawed logic.

Cucked administration with James at the helm and Diaz as head coach—Highsmith would've had zero power or say, so it'd have been a wasted hire—which is why it didn't happen.

Invest in your program. Clemson did so, only after they got lucky with hiring Dabo for less than a mill per year. He showed he could recruit and have some success, but the gloves came off after getting embarrassed by West Virginia in the Orange Bowl. They forked out the cash to hire Venables, saw the return, and now pay this guy who was a WR coach and a loss to SC away from not being hired full time 9.3 a year. They pay to keep his Grade A staff, etc. A decision here or there, with some investment and you reap your rewards, just like investing in yourself or your future.

Miami takes the easy way out, constantly.

Go look at Clemson’s Football Staff Directory, and u’ll see exactly how committed they are to the program. Scared money don’t make money. In order to make money, u gotta spend it. In Miami, w/ our natural resources, and just seeing how many professional sports players come from Central to South Florida, our athletic dept should be dominant in Football, Baseball, Soccer, Golf, and Track & Field. No cap. At the very min, football & baseball.

This move to the ACC & that guaranteed $ has completely neutered this program. The want & desire is not there.

It wouldn't work. No one but the most desperate college coach would give up his autonomy and work under NFL-style conditions with Player Operations Director Highsmith at best having to confirm your personnel choices, and at worst making them for you. From everything I heard last January on Canes podcasts, that was what was in the offing.

Advertisement
Back