All time greatest canes plays

Ken Corbin's 2 pick sixes vs gators in 67 as he was known as CBC short for concrete block hands because he couldn't catch a football
Bernie to Eddie Brown to beat gators in 84 in Tampa with Tolbert Bain returning a puck six on last play to then cover spread
Danny Miller caroming in FG from 55 TD's to beat gators in 81
Ottis Anderson game winning TD vs gators in 78 as we came back from 21-3 halftime deficit
George Mira's left handed TD pass to beat gators in 62
Frank Gores TD run to beat gators in 03
Mo Sikes 99 TD pick six in 2002 that almost emptied stadium of gators

All of these and more as any win vs gators is at top of list for me
Agreed but one play that will never be mentioned is final play of 2003 game vs gators when Brock took knee threw ball into air and turned to gator fans and did the Chomp

Advertisement
The CATCH... Winslow JR... West Virginia game 2003.

It was a slug fest consisting of 2 TDs and 10 field goals.

Kellen Winslow's ridiculous 4th down catch to save the game.

Score 20/ 19 down by a point
4th and 13, with 105 sec remaining.

Final score MIAMI 22/19.

Too many to mention but this will always be in my top 5

https://youtu.be/bi-NRheb7lE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought about this play after i started this thread. It is definitely honorable mention for me. remember it like it was yesterday and had this game recorded on vhs lol

Michael Barrow "separating Tamarick Vanover from his senses" in the 1992 FSU game at the OB.

[video=youtube;IpDNr-2JIDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDNr-2JIDw[/video]

this is my defensive pick....the sad thing is that this would result in Barrow being kicked out of the game, a 1st down for FSU, and Barrow would have to sit out 1st half of next game. the pussification of football is complete!

2001 vs BC. BC about to score to take the lead in the 4th Q. Deflected pass is intercepted by Cane DT Matt Walters. Ed Reed then steals the ball from Matt and weaves 80 yards for a Cane TD.

Game over. Undefeated path to the Natty is preserved.

Ed Reed, one of the best playmakers of all time, in college and the NFL.

This is the greatest canes play of all ******* time by the greatest safety of all time... A very very very distant second would be thrill hills catch vs the dormers or Sikes 98 yarder vs gators

Advertisement
I apologize..... Distant second is tremain macks punt block.... Cause I I was hoping it happened and remmebered that's what mack was known for.... Dope *** play

The Shockey go ahead TD against FSU sealed my fate as a Cane fan for life in 2000.

The entire '91 Cotton Bowl.

Last minute INT at Boston College in '01

Frank Gore running pre-injury.

There was also the time the Ibis got called for unsportsmanlike conduct, and Butch Davis had murder in his eye. Think that was the bowl game I think. XD

One play that will forever stick in my head is Travis Benjamin's punt return on UNC and the two NASTY blocks that Miami laid on the UNC coverage team. Def a recent one and not a great play, but one that was very memorable to me. Hearing Dolphin stadium go OOOHHHH was insane. [video=youtube;CJ8jrBXy5lI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8jrBXy5lI[/video]

Advertisement
2001 vs BC. BC about to score to take the lead in the 4th Q. Deflected pass is intercepted by Cane DT Matt Walters. Ed Reed then steals the ball from Matt and weaves 80 yards for a Cane TD.

Game over. Undefeated path to the Natty is preserved.

Ed Reed, one of the best playmakers of all time, in college and the NFL.

This is the greatest canes play of all ****ing time by the greatest safety of all time... A very very very distant second would be thrill hills catch vs the dormers or Sikes 98 yarder vs gators
Your opinion only as there were many as great or greater going back 60 years or more

1. 1984 win vs Nebraska where it all started.
2. Any win over FSU. FSU would have our legacy if it were not for us.
3. Wins over ND, UCLA, Washington payback beat down, BC ED REED in that order
4. Next win over FSU when we back for realz at last

Advertisement
I would say from a Miami Fan perspective my favorites are
Irvin TD vs FSU 1987
Sean Taylor Int TD vs FSU
Tiger Clark Int vs ND 1989
Irvin TD vs OU Orange Bowl
Hester KR TD vs UF

I think from general football fans perspective the most memorable plays involving Miami are
Nebraska 2 point play
Flutie Hail Mary
Penn St 6th int
KR vs Duke
And if you played college football from 1991-2001 you got shown the no taunting rules video which was basically the entire Cotton Bowl game Miami vs Texas. Randel Hill with the six shooters in the tunnel playing a continuous loop.

Everyone talks about Barrow blasting Vanover in 92 but an even more pivotal play was the one he made the next week at Happy Valley vs Penn St. on a 4th and 1 as PSU was driving, he made a big play for a loss( I think it was Richie Anderson who got the ball) as he shot the gap inside and it kept the Nittany Pedophiles from scoring on what ended up as a 3 point win(IIRC)

Barrow was amazing that year, I think he actually garnered a few Heisman votes that season

Advertisement
I'll go with one that's commonly overlooked. Miami - Florida State in Tallahassee in 2009. Fourth-quarter Harris steps up in the pocket and throws a 40 yard pass to the sideline to Travis Benjamin. Sets up what would be the game-winning touchdown. To this day one of the nicest throws a UM quarterback has ever made.

I've always found it interesting that Ed Reed gets the credit for winning that BC game. The game was won when Matt Walters intercepted the deflected pass. The Reed touchdown was just gravy. No one ever talks about Walters on that play.

Last edited:
I'll go with one that's commonly overlooked. Miami - Florida State in Tallahassee in 2009. Fourth-quarter Harris steps up in the pocket and throws a 40 yard pass to the sideline to Travis Benjamin. Sets up what would be the game-winning touchdown. To this day one of the nicest throws a UM quarterback has ever made.

I've always found it interesting that Ed Reed gets the credit for winning that BC game. The game was won when Matt Walters intercepted the deflected pass. The Reed touchdown was just gravy. No one ever talks about Walters on that play.

Or how Mike Rumph jumped the slant route, but the pass was low and bounced off his leg right to Walters.

Everyone talks about Barrow blasting Vanover in 92 but an even more pivotal play was the one he made the next week at Happy Valley vs Penn St. on a 4th and 1 as PSU was driving, he made a big play for a loss( I think it was Richie Anderson who got the ball) as he shot the gap inside and it kept the Nittany Pedophiles from scoring on what ended up as a 3 point win(IIRC)

Barrow was amazing that year, I think he actually garnered a few Heisman votes that season

The 4th-1 play at PSU was one of my top plays also. If I recall PSU kicked a FG on 4th-6, but Miami was offsides. Paterno chose to take the points off the board and go for it on 4th-1.

Or how Mike Rumph jumped the slant route, but the pass was low and bounced off his leg right to Walters.

Exactly.

Advertisement
Back