All time greatest canes plays

**** people, football started before 2001.

Calhoun knocking away the 2 point conversion against Nebraska in 1984 (83 season) to win the first national title

Bubba McDowell knocking away the 2 point conversion against FSU in 1987 to win 26-25

Randall Hill's TD against Texas in the Cotton Bowl and him running into the tunnel to celebrate

Carlos Jones' pick 6 against Danny Kannell in 94 to seal the 34-20 win over FSU

Any play that Dan Sileo made

I was born 1990 so I don't really remember or see stuff prior to 2000. And I'm sure this is the case for a lot of us.

Oh and another play I liked but was super meaningless was true fresh spence sacking b i t c h boy tebow. That play makes me smile

Advertisement
I must be getting old, I opened this thread expecting to see Kenny Calhoun immediately topping the list.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The original Wide Right. Love Bowden's face.
https://youtu.be/ezbCtS5-0V8

Every Nole in the place thought he had made the FG. I was in their student section and they were celebrating wildly for a good 10 seconds. I saw Sebastian running onto the field waving no good, and I screamed out "HE MISSED IT!!!" I swear, every Nole in the stadium must have heard me, because they fell silent in seconds. The realization of what had just happened began to sink in. They had NOT made the kick, like they all thought they had. Man, it was an emotional roller coaster for all involved in those 10 seconds.

Advertisement
About 3 minutes in.

[video=youtube;L24BD2qVdqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24BD2qVdqI[/video]

Clearly, it's the end-of-game return against Duke. The Nebraska two-point version play a close second.

There are more memorable plays against the canes, not least because they were against the canes - Flutie, the Alabama steal, the Gary fumble, the Conlan pick, etc.

Are you a juvenile that's only been following the canes for a couple of years, or a troll?

Just study this thread and you'll learn about many great canes plays. Many more made by us than against us.

WTF there are more against us??

Last edited:

Calhoun knocking away the 2 point conversion against Nebraska in 1984 (83 season) to win the first national title

Bubba McDowell knocking away the 2 point conversion against FSU in 1987 to win 26-25

Randall Hill's TD against Texas in the Cotton Bowl and him running into the tunnel to celebrate

Nice.
Samson Doyo had a few pre 2K as well.
Honorable Mention: Kevin Williams 91 yd PR vs. PSU in 1991. Longest in school history.
Biggest play of the game in the closest game of the season in the OB.
We go 12-0 and get Natty #4 .

Advertisement
No video of it exists but Kevin Williams had a 91 yard punt return against Penn State in 1991 that was a memorable moment.

The breakdown in the kicking game resulted in a 91-yard punt return by Kevin Williams, the longest in Miami history, to give the Hurricanes a 20-6 lead with 4:15 to go in the third quarter. The return came just 2:19 after an 80-yard pass from Torretta to Horace Copeland, with 6:34 to go in the third quarter, that broke a 6-6 halftime tie.

Dam. Didn't see this.

Side note here. PSU came back and had a chance to win the game from around our 30.
We picked the pass (forgot who), our DB was teetering along the goal line but eventually took a knee in the endzone.
It was ruled a touchback. Game over.
My seats were right at that goal line in the SW corner.
26 years later, I'll still deny that I saw the ball cross the goal line.

I'll play...
1) 3 & 43 Erickson to Thrill Hill for the first down
1A) Kenny Calhoun deflecting 2pt conversion to seal our first National Championship
2) Danny Stubbs pic against FSU in 1987 - huge momentum play
3) Walsh to Irvin for the long TD in 1987 against FSU - another HUGE momentum play - crazy game
4) Any play from last drive of WWIII - they were all great. Whatta game.

lot of great plays to choose from...nice problem to have.

Go Canes!

Hard to argue this shouldn't be no. 1 ... but you have a great list.

I'll add: Gino to Hi-C on 4th and Four at FSU in 1991
Danny Miller 55 yd FG to win against the Gators in 1981
Jim Burt deflecting the 2 pt conversion attempt against FSU in 1980
Matt Walters/Ed Reed on the final play of the BC game in 2001
Gino to Lamar for the go ahead TD in the 4th quarter of FSU/UM in 1992
Hester for the go ahead score on the punt return against Louisville

There were others, of course, but that's my list off the top of my head

Pretty sure Louisville scored again, and we had to score again. I think Berlin threw a TD pass that actually won the game.

I was born 1990 so I don't really remember or see stuff prior to 2000. And I'm sure this is the case for a lot of us.

Oh and another play I liked but was super meaningless was true fresh spence sacking b i t c h boy tebow. That play makes me smile

I was born in 1979. I still put Calhoun's play, which came about a month before my 5th birthday on there. I don't remember seeing it live, but I've seen it 97,000 times, and know its importance.

Not a play specifically but just any time Jerome Brown and Dan Sileo looked lovingly into each other's eyes on the sideline.

Obviously we all know who Sileo is but for those of us new to Miami football, who's Jerome Brown?

Advertisement
Clearly, it's the end-of-game return against Duke. The Nebraska two-point version play a close second.

There are more memorable plays against the canes, not least because they were against the canes - Flutie, the Alabama steal, the Gary fumble, the Conlan pick, etc.

Are you a juvenile that's only been following the canes for a couple of years, or a troll?

Just study this thread and you'll learn about many great canes plays. Many more made by us than against us.

Okie dokey. When I think "greatest", I think most memorable.

So, your claim is that, if you asked, say, 1000 college football fans to recall their most memorable play involving the canes - they wouldn't pick the Flutie Hail Mary - but they'd pick the Reed interception? Or, they wouldn't remember the Gary fumble on the ND 0 - yard line, but they'd remember the pass breakup against Nebraska? Or, they wouldn't mention Bama stripping Lamar Thomas of the ball? Bleacher report has that as Bama's best play ever. BAMA! Newbs will remember the Duke play, because it was recent. All of these were great plays, in part, because they came against great Miami teams. It's a sign of respect.

WTF is right.

So, your claim is that, if you asked, say, 1000 college football fans to recall their most memorable play involving the canes - they wouldn't pick the Flutie Hail Mary - but they'd pick the Reed interception? Or, they wouldn't remember the Gary fumble on the ND 0 - yard line, but they'd remember the pass breakup against Nebraska? Or, they wouldn't mention Bama stripping Lamar Thomas of the ball? Bleacher report has that as Bama's best play ever. BAMA! Newbs will remember the Duke play, because it was recent. All of these were great plays, in part, because they came against great Miami teams. It's a sign of respect.

WTF is right.

Never happened.

Advertisement

WTF is right.

Well since this site is mostly canes fans, the question was being directed towards Canes fans, not general college football fans.

I really don't give a fūck what some KKK craka from Alabama thinks is the greatest Bama play.

Also, Gary didn't fumble, clown. So that play would go on your all-time bad calls.

And no, it's not a sign of respect. It's a side of retardation. On your part. The fūck you're going to bring up Flutie, or the Bama strip. That's for Cane haters to do.

I'll go with everything '83, since I'm unconvinced everything else follows, minus that title. Does Jimmy Johnson make the jump? I have my doubts.

The Calhoun play dwarfs anything else in program history. It was hilarious to read other serious submissions.

But the setup is vital also. Throughout deep '83 I was sweating weekly because I sensed what was at stake. We could defeat anyone in our building in a bowl atmosphere. I witnessed the early '70s Dolphins overachieving in the same venue. Absolutely it could transfer a decade later to the Canes. But you had to get there. Meanwhile, if we blow in late season nobody cares nationwide. Nobody. We're not even a trivial blip. Nobody even remembers today that Texas nearly held on to defeat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl that year, eliminating the Canes title hopes before the Orange Bowl kicked off.

I'll nod the deep sideline bomb from Kosar to Eddie Brown vs. East Carolina. The offense was doing nothing in that game. The crowd was silent and nervous. We seldom had the ball. A very scrappy East Carolina team was controlling the game via rushing attempts. In my section we were all saying we needed a huge play because a sustained drive simply wasn't going to happen. Then finally it came. Such a relief.

Many older fans will remember that the Pirates very nearly stole the game back in the final seconds. They had a crossing pattern to the front right flag that was wide open. Wide open. The crowd gasped. Season over. Then their own tight end crossing right to left in the opposite direction somehow thought the ball was intended for him. He reached up and barely got a finger on it, ruining the touchdown. I can still picture the agony of the East Carolina players and bench. The intended receiver jumped up and down in disbelief. That team played tight with all three big Florida schools that season but lost every one by a touchdown or less.

I have not seen a tape of that East Carolina game. However, it is not true that the '91 Penn State game with the Williams punt return does not exist. I have the entirety on tape. I was getting around to uploading it to YouTube a few years ago when my channel was zapped. I had nearly 300 videos up there, mostly classic sports stuff. The college football didn't draw any scrutiny but eventually the NFL and International Olympic Committee took aim at my stuff. Copyright complaints without warning. I was told by other uploaders that NBC didn't care about older Olympic stuff so my '88 videos were fine. Wrong. It was true until the IOC started its own channel, and that meant trampling on any famous material from decades earlier. I had the Ben Johnson doping race and Florence Griffith-Joyner world records. Gone, and taking everything else with it. I haven't summoned the energy to start uploading the college football again under a different channel name.

For a third play I'll go to the '83 season finale and another Eddie Brown play, this time a long punt return against Florida State to help pull out that game. We were likewise being controlled on the ground and seldom had the ball. East Carolina and Florida State both had 50+ rushing attempts. Our pass defense led the nation in yards per attempt allowed but it wasn't doing us much good when opponents patiently ran the ball. After Brown's great return we maneuvered deep into Seminole territory. The winning field goal attempt was a mere chip shot. But I was a nervous wreck. Probably the second most nerve wracking play I've experienced as a Canes fan, other than the Nebraska 2-pointer. I was literally shaking. Everything is set up, as long as we don't blow this kick.

I knew we'd never convert the clinching field goal with roughly 4 minutes remaining against Nebraska, BTW. The field goal unit was shaky as heck.

The bonehead award goes to Bernie Kosar, who claimed he wanted Nebraska to convert the 2 pointer. Why sure. Let's avoid 98% win probability when we can dip to 8%, or thereabouts, via a 1 point deficit. Why bother with probability when we can be a Happy Adjuster and make anything and everything exactly what we want it to be?

There were problems with Kosar long before they became obvious.

Advertisement
Back