All time greatest canes plays

Advertisement
**** people, football started before 2001.

Calhoun knocking away the 2 point conversion against Nebraska in 1984 (83 season) to win the first national title

Bubba McDowell knocking away the 2 point conversion against FSU in 1987 to win 26-25

Randall Hill's TD against Texas in the Cotton Bowl and him running into the tunnel to celebrate

Carlos Jones' pick 6 against Danny Kannell in 94 to seal the 34-20 win over FSU

Any play that Dan Sileo made

Calhoun play sealed the deal on Miami's first National Championship in the Orange bowl. Definitely worthy of the top three spot.

2001 vs BC. BC about to score to take the lead in the 4th Q. Deflected pass is intercepted by Cane DT Matt Walters. Ed Reed then steals the ball from Matt and weaves 80 yards for a Cane TD.

Game over. Undefeated path to the Natty is preserved.

Ed Reed, one of the best playmakers of all time, in college and the NFL.

Didn't see this post and I posted after you. From being on the cusp of losing the game in the 4th quarter to unlikely long score and sealing the win. What a game to watch live.

Advertisement
Some other ones not mentioned -

Barrow's hit on Tamarick Vanover;
Dorsey to Shockey;

TD to Shockey with 00:46 seconds left. Completions on that drive to Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and then Shockey. This team never gets enough love. ******* loaded.

[video=youtube;UZ2S6BojY3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2S6BojY3w[/video]

Not sure if this has already been done. Sorry if it has. But what are your top 3 favorite canes plays? For me, in descending order:

3- Devin Hester's opening kick off vs. the Gators
2- Sean Taylor INT return vs FSU, in the rain
1- Devin Hester Punt Return vs Duke

(The return vs Duke last year probably got the best reaction out of me but idk if I'd say it's one of my favorite plays)

Looking forward to the responses. Even the ****head responses.
This is the one for me: Ed Reed making sure we have undefeated season and go on to win a NC. One play changes the course of the game and the whole season for us.

[video=youtube;m_ZQkJKw4NA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ZQkJKw4NA[/video]

I love Ed Reed, and all he did for us and in the league. However, he didn't secure the win by stripping Walters of the ball. If Walters simply goes down the game is over and we win. I know Reed got caught up in the moment and wanted to make a play, and did, but that could have been disasterous. There's no coach in America that would advise his players to try to make the play that Ed made. INT, game over. Walters also should have simply gone down once he had the pick. Absolutely no reason to have that play continue.

Advertisement
[video=youtube_share;HZ50nGN77Lk]https://youtu.be/HZ50nGN77Lk[/video]

One of my favorite games of all-time.

I'll play...
1) 3 & 43 Erickson to Thrill Hill for the first down
1A) Kenny Calhoun deflecting 2pt conversion to seal our first National Championship
2) Danny Stubbs pic against FSU in 1987 - huge momentum play
3) Walsh to Irvin for the long TD in 1987 against FSU - another HUGE momentum play - crazy game
4) Any play from last drive of WWIII - they were all great. Whatta game.

lot of great plays to choose from...nice problem to have.

Go Canes!

Hard to argue this shouldn't be no. 1 ... but you have a great list.

I'll add: Gino to Hi-C on 4th and Four at FSU in 1991
Danny Miller 55 yd FG to win against the Gators in 1981
Jim Burt deflecting the 2 pt conversion attempt against FSU in 1980
Matt Walters/Ed Reed on the final play of the BC game in 2001
Gino to Lamar for the go ahead TD in the 4th quarter of FSU/UM in 1992
Hester for the go ahead score on the punt return against Louisville

There were others, of course, but that's my list off the top of my head

Last edited:
Advertisement
TD to Shockey with 00:46 seconds left. Completions on that drive to Reggie Wayne, Santana Moss, and then Shockey. This team never gets enough love. ****ing loaded.

[video=youtube;UZ2S6BojY3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2S6BojY3w[/video]

I was sitting next to Franchise and his brother for this game. I had destroyed my lower back about a week before the game and was in a lot of pain during the game. We scored our first TD and brother o' Franchise started celebrating and pushed me and I saw stars. Cool starry bro.

Advertisement
Bernard Clark's INT off Tony Rice in the 1989 ND game. The play set up a go-ahead TD just before the end of the first half.

CJ Richardson's INT and long return off Danny Kanell in the 1994 FSU game. FSU had a 14-7 lead in the second quarter and momentum.

Mo Sikes' 97-yard INT TD off Rex Grossman in the 2002 game at UF. Miami had a 27-16 lead but a TD by UF might have turned game momentum in the Gators' favor for awhile.

Bernie Kosar's TD pass to Eddie Brown for a 26-20 lead with :08 left against UF in 1984.

Gino Toretta's TD pass to Lamar Thomas in 1992 FSU game. Gino knew he was going to get rocked but lofted a beauty.

Mistakes by opponents:

Irving Fryar dropping a wide-open TD a few plays before Jeff Smith's TD in the 1983 Orange Bowl.

VaTech dropping a 2-point try after a blocked punt TD late in 2001. Miami won 26-24. Game and 2001 NC almost blown by Coker.

FSU (Corey Sawyer?) trying to catch a punt inside their 2 yard line in the 1992 FSU game (Wide Right II). The PR muffed the punt, regained control in his own endzone, and was smothered for a safety. Miami had just taken a 17-16 lead and the 2 point play provided the final margin.

Joe Paterno taking 3 points off the board for a 4th-and-1 try at Penn State in 1992. Miami (Michael Barrow) stuffed the ensuing run play and was able to hold on for a 3-point win.

[video=youtube;0D-0Ix29TI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-0Ix29TI0[/video]

I was just going to write that. Great minds....

Loudest moment in the OB. Louder than Shockey in 2000 and ND in '89.

McGahee screen pass vs. FSU/02. Pretty dam loud.
Speaking of loud stadiums, someone also noted the Thrill Hill TD in the Cotton Bowl. That stadium was the loudest I've been in...'til the opening kickoff.

Ken Corbin's 2 pick sixes vs gators in 67 as he was known as CBC short for concrete block hands because he couldn't catch a football
Bernie to Eddie Brown to beat gators in 84 in Tampa with Tolbert Bain returning a puck six on last play to then cover spread
Danny Miller caroming in FG from 55 TD's to beat gators in 81
Ottis Anderson game winning TD vs gators in 78 as we came back from 21-3 halftime deficit
George Mira's left handed TD pass to beat gators in 62
Frank Gores TD run to beat gators in 03
Mo Sikes 99 TD pick six in 2002 that almost emptied stadium of gators

All of these and more as any win vs gators is at top of list for me

Advertisement
Back