All time greatest canes plays

No video of it exists but Kevin Williams had a 91 yard punt return against Penn State in 1991 that was a memorable moment.

The breakdown in the kicking game resulted in a 91-yard punt return by Kevin Williams, the longest in Miami history, to give the Hurricanes a 20-6 lead with 4:15 to go in the third quarter. The return came just 2:19 after an 80-yard pass from Torretta to Horace Copeland, with 6:34 to go in the third quarter, that broke a 6-6 halftime tie.

Dam. Didn't see this.

Side note here. PSU came back and had a chance to win the game from around our 30.
We picked the pass (forgot who), our DB was teetering along the goal line but eventually took a knee in the endzone.
It was ruled a touchback. Game over.
My seats were right at that goal line in the SW corner.
26 years later, I'll still deny that I saw the ball cross the goal line.

That was Darryl Williams who had the INT late. I couldn't believe he was just jogging along the goal line the way he was(and he was an extremely intelligent player and an All-American that season).

And that's a game that most didn't see in it's entirety(as others have mentioned) because of the Clarence Thomas trial but certain markets got to see the whole game and some have uploaded the game on Youtube. Horace Copelands big post-pattern for a long TD was also one that most missed( I had to end up listening to that play on the radio). Yeah, this was in the olden times before streaming and stuff like ESPN3

Last edited:
Advertisement
The CATCH... Winslow JR... West Virginia game 2003.

It was a slug fest consisting of 2 TDs and 10 field goals.

Kellen Winslow's ridiculous 4th down catch to save the game.

Score 20/ 19 down by a point
4th and 13, with 105 sec remaining.

Final score MIAMI 22/19.

Too many to mention but this will always be in my top 5

I'll go with everything '83, since I'm unconvinced everything else follows, minus that title. Does Jimmy Johnson make the jump? I have my doubts.

The Calhoun play dwarfs anything else in program history. It was hilarious to read other serious submissions.

But the setup is vital also. Throughout deep '83 I was sweating weekly because I sensed what was at stake. We could defeat anyone in our building in a bowl atmosphere. I witnessed the early '70s Dolphins overachieving in the same venue. Absolutely it could transfer a decade later to the Canes. But you had to get there. Meanwhile, if we blow in late season nobody cares nationwide. Nobody. We're not even a trivial blip. Nobody even remembers today that Texas nearly held on to defeat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl that year, eliminating the Canes title hopes before the Orange Bowl kicked off.

I'll nod the deep sideline bomb from Kosar to Eddie Brown vs. East Carolina. The offense was doing nothing in that game. The crowd was silent and nervous. We seldom had the ball. A very scrappy East Carolina team was controlling the game via rushing attempts. In my section we were all saying we needed a huge play because a sustained drive simply wasn't going to happen. Then finally it came. Such a relief.

Many older fans will remember that the Pirates very nearly stole the game back in the final seconds. They had a crossing pattern to the front right flag that was wide open. Wide open. The crowd gasped. Season over. Then their own tight end crossing right to left in the opposite direction somehow thought the ball was intended for him. He reached up and barely got a finger on it, ruining the touchdown. I can still picture the agony of the East Carolina players and bench. The intended receiver jumped up and down in disbelief. That team played tight with all three big Florida schools that season but lost every one by a touchdown or less.

I have not seen a tape of that East Carolina game. However, it is not true that the '91 Penn State game with the Williams punt return does not exist. I have the entirety on tape. I was getting around to uploading it to YouTube a few years ago when my channel was zapped. I had nearly 300 videos up there, mostly classic sports stuff. The college football didn't draw any scrutiny but eventually the NFL and International Olympic Committee took aim at my stuff. Copyright complaints without warning. I was told by other uploaders that NBC didn't care about older Olympic stuff so my '88 videos were fine. Wrong. It was true until the IOC started its own channel, and that meant trampling on any famous material from decades earlier. I had the Ben Johnson doping race and Florence Griffith-Joyner world records. Gone, and taking everything else with it. I haven't summoned the energy to start uploading the college football again under a different channel name.

For a third play I'll go to the '83 season finale and another Eddie Brown play, this time a long punt return against Florida State to help pull out that game. We were likewise being controlled on the ground and seldom had the ball. East Carolina and Florida State both had 50+ rushing attempts. Our pass defense led the nation in yards per attempt allowed but it wasn't doing us much good when opponents patiently ran the ball. After Brown's great return we maneuvered deep into Seminole territory. The winning field goal attempt was a mere chip shot. But I was a nervous wreck. Probably the second most nerve wracking play I've experienced as a Canes fan, other than the Nebraska 2-pointer. I was literally shaking. Everything is set up, as long as we don't blow this kick.

I knew we'd never convert the clinching field goal with roughly 4 minutes remaining against Nebraska, BTW. The field goal unit was shaky as heck.

The bonehead award goes to Bernie Kosar, who claimed he wanted Nebraska to convert the 2 pointer. Why sure. Let's avoid 98% win probability when we can dip to 8%, or thereabouts, via a 1 point deficit. Why bother with probability when we can be a Happy Adjuster and make anything and everything exactly what we want it to be?

There were problems with Kosar long before they became obvious.

what's your youtube channel? I've been going back and watching as many old canes games as i can. a lot are missing.

Advertisement
Carlos Huerta kicking the winning FG at Michigan to beat them 31-30 when we were down 30-14 in the 4th quarter. Best part was the not the FG or the comeback, but the ABC camera showing a close up of a shocked dork in the Michigan band about to cry for his mommy.

Great memory...my little brother was born early that morning. Although I was only 5 and my memory is hazy I'm convinced we rushed home from the hospital to catch the game.

This has been a great thread with us bringing to memory a lot of great plays.I've been a fan for a very long time and have seen most if not all of the plays mentioned in this thread. I am no big authority but Ed Pope is dead and SMD and Manny are too young so the opinions on this thread are as valid as any that exist so if any mods are viewing this CIS ought to sponsor a Greatest Play Ever thread using this thread as a resource. I'll give my vote now after a review. If you forget the significance of a play and just base It on the play itself it has to be the Duke touchdown play. So many things had to happen to make that play work any one of which if not executed would have ended it.Foget technique, forget practice, forget coaching. This was talented kids playing the game they love depending only on instincts. This was sand lot football on steroids and it was exciting, it was fun not only for the kids but for everyone who saw it except of course Duke fans and ACC officials. It has already been heralded as one of college footballs greatest plays along with the Cal vs. Stanford band play. How could we not say it was our greatest sing play.

Irrefutable Top 5 right here:

3rd and 43
Reed TD @BC
Carlos Jones Pick 6
Kenny Calhoun
Wide Right

Advertisement
I'll go with everything '83, since I'm unconvinced everything else follows, minus that title. Does Jimmy Johnson make the jump? I have my doubts.

The Calhoun play dwarfs anything else in program history. It was hilarious to read other serious submissions.

But the setup is vital also. Throughout deep '83 I was sweating weekly because I sensed what was at stake. We could defeat anyone in our building in a bowl atmosphere. I witnessed the early '70s Dolphins overachieving in the same venue. Absolutely it could transfer a decade later to the Canes. But you had to get there. Meanwhile, if we blow in late season nobody cares nationwide. Nobody. We're not even a trivial blip. Nobody even remembers today that Texas nearly held on to defeat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl that year, eliminating the Canes title hopes before the Orange Bowl kicked off.

I'll nod the deep sideline bomb from Kosar to Eddie Brown vs. East Carolina. The offense was doing nothing in that game. The crowd was silent and nervous. We seldom had the ball. A very scrappy East Carolina team was controlling the game via rushing attempts. In my section we were all saying we needed a huge play because a sustained drive simply wasn't going to happen. Then finally it came. Such a relief.

Many older fans will remember that the Pirates very nearly stole the game back in the final seconds. They had a crossing pattern to the front right flag that was wide open. Wide open. The crowd gasped. Season over. Then their own tight end crossing right to left in the opposite direction somehow thought the ball was intended for him. He reached up and barely got a finger on it, ruining the touchdown. I can still picture the agony of the East Carolina players and bench. The intended receiver jumped up and down in disbelief. That team played tight with all three big Florida schools that season but lost every one by a touchdown or less.

I have not seen a tape of that East Carolina game. However, it is not true that the '91 Penn State game with the Williams punt return does not exist. I have the entirety on tape. I was getting around to uploading it to YouTube a few years ago when my channel was zapped. I had nearly 300 videos up there, mostly classic sports stuff. The college football didn't draw any scrutiny but eventually the NFL and International Olympic Committee took aim at my stuff. Copyright complaints without warning. I was told by other uploaders that NBC didn't care about older Olympic stuff so my '88 videos were fine. Wrong. It was true until the IOC started its own channel, and that meant trampling on any famous material from decades earlier. I had the Ben Johnson doping race and Florence Griffith-Joyner world records. Gone, and taking everything else with it. I haven't summoned the energy to start uploading the college football again under a different channel name.

For a third play I'll go to the '83 season finale and another Eddie Brown play, this time a long punt return against Florida State to help pull out that game. We were likewise being controlled on the ground and seldom had the ball. East Carolina and Florida State both had 50+ rushing attempts. Our pass defense led the nation in yards per attempt allowed but it wasn't doing us much good when opponents patiently ran the ball. After Brown's great return we maneuvered deep into Seminole territory. The winning field goal attempt was a mere chip shot. But I was a nervous wreck. Probably the second most nerve wracking play I've experienced as a Canes fan, other than the Nebraska 2-pointer. I was literally shaking. Everything is set up, as long as we don't blow this kick.

I knew we'd never convert the clinching field goal with roughly 4 minutes remaining against Nebraska, BTW. The field goal unit was shaky as heck.

The bonehead award goes to Bernie Kosar, who claimed he wanted Nebraska to convert the 2 pointer. Why sure. Let's avoid 98% win probability when we can dip to 8%, or thereabouts, via a 1 point deficit. Why bother with probability when we can be a Happy Adjuster and make anything and everything exactly what we want it to be?

Brilliant post ... agree with all of this, with one exception:

If I recall correctly, and this was confirmed talking with Bernie many years later, what he said was (or at least meant to say), was that he was not concerned if Nebraska made the 2 pt. conversion. We had timeouts left, and a minute to go. What Bernie has said was that based on how well we could move the football against their defense, and the amount of time and timeouts left, he was not worried about our ability to get the ball at least into short field goal range to win the game. He and Trestman and Howard already had their script of plays to get downfield and win the game, and that was what he was mentally preparing for when Calhoun made his play.

No video of it exists but Kevin Williams had a 91 yard punt return against Penn State in 1991 that was a memorable moment.

The breakdown in the kicking game resulted in a 91-yard punt return by Kevin Williams, the longest in Miami history, to give the Hurricanes a 20-6 lead with 4:15 to go in the third quarter. The return came just 2:19 after an 80-yard pass from Torretta to Horace Copeland, with 6:34 to go in the third quarter, that broke a 6-6 halftime tie.

Dam. Didn't see this.

Side note here. PSU came back and had a chance to win the game from around our 30.
We picked the pass (forgot who), our DB was teetering along the goal line but eventually took a knee in the endzone.
It was ruled a touchback. Game over.
My seats were right at that goal line in the SW corner.
26 years later, I'll still deny that I saw the ball cross the goal line.

That was Darryl Williams who had the INT late. I couldn't believe he was just jogging along the goal line the way he was(and he was an extremely intelligent player and an All-American that season).

And that's a game that most didn't see in it's entirety(as others have mentioned) because of the Clarence Thomas trial but certain markets got to see the whole game and some have uploaded the game on Youtube. Horace Copelands big post-pattern for a long TD was also one that most missed( I had to end up listening to that play on the radio). Yeah, this was in the olden times before streaming and stuff like ESPN3

Williams! That's who it was.
Conservatively, the ball was at the goal-line plane...but I didn't see a thing.
Yes, Copeland, the other big play in that game. The OB was going crazy.
I'll give PSU credit. They put 20 on a defense that gave up 100 points all year.

Brilliant post ... agree with all of this, with one exception:

If I recall correctly, and this was confirmed talking with Bernie many years later, what he said was (or at least meant to say), was that he was not concerned if Nebraska made the 2 pt. conversion. We had timeouts left, and a minute to go. What Bernie has said was that based on how well we could move the football against their defense, and the amount of time and timeouts left, he was not worried about our ability to get the ball at least into short field goal range to win the game. He and Trestman and Howard already had their script of plays to get downfield and win the game, and that was what he was mentally preparing for when Calhoun made his play.

Yes, excellent post Aswi.
It goes without saying that the Calhoun play was THEE play.
I'm enjoying the rest of the submittal's though as it's tossing me around in a time machine. The best of the rest, if you will.

I will agree with Red Square on the Kosar comment. Of course we would leave history right where it is, but IF Nebraska kicked the XP, there's no question in my mind that we would have scored.

Both defenses were absolutely gassed. Their final drive was only 50 seconds or so. Hurricane Howard got too conservative on our final drive once we got inside their 30. We drove at will to that point.

A Kosar-to-Brown TD with no time left would have made the Greatest Game in College Football History even greater.

Advertisement

Final score MIAMI 22/19.

https://youtu.be/bi-NRheb7lE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Not to compete with a lot of the plays already mentioned here but an honorable mention should go to the Morris/Dorsett play at the end of the 2012 NC State. A little scramble action and a 62 yard pass to win the game was a pretty good play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nsDuaoH1vk Around the 2:35 mark.

The memorable play was the onside kick that Bobby Harden recovered which I stated earlier in this thread. After we recovered the onside kick is when you saw the shocked look on the female band member not after Huerta's fg. That was an incredible game. Bo Schembecler was fuming at Jimmy Johnson after the game

I spoke to Steve Walsh in 2004 in Atlanta at the Miami G Tech and he agreed with me that was the most exciting game of his career even more than winning the NC.

Carlos Huerta kicking the winning FG at Michigan to beat them 31-30 when we were down 30-14 in the 4th quarter. Best part was the not the FG or the comeback, but the ABC camera showing a close up of a shocked dork in the Michigan band about to cry for his mommy.

Great memory...my little brother was born early that morning. Although I was only 5 and my memory is hazy I'm convinced we rushed home from the hospital to catch the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nsDuaoH1vk Around the 2:35 mark.

The memorable play was the onside kick that Bobby Harden recovered which I stated earlier in this thread. After we recovered the onside kick is when you saw the shocked look on the female band member not after Huerta's fg. That was an incredible game. Bo Schembecler was fuming at Jimmy Johnson after the game

I spoke to Steve Walsh in 2004 in Atlanta at the Miami G Tech and he agreed with me that was the most exciting game of his career even more than winning the NC.

Well, I was 9

Last edited:

Final score MIAMI 22/19.

https://youtu.be/bi-NRheb7lE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a **** good choice. Thought we were done for sure.

Advertisement
Back