All-Time Broward County Football Team

Gotta have Martavious Houston from Boyd Anderson in that secondary over Major Wright. He was a monster. Absolutely made for the FS position and was the #1 safety in the country when he came out.
I went with Major Wright because he attacked the ball and killed ppl as well. Houston is in line with the OTHER Safety Brian Robinson..

Again look at the sizes of these Broward DBS...Houston was like 210 as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sucks that a lot of the players who played at the black schools pre-1970s are kinda lost to history, as the FHSAA didn't keep any of the stats or records before the state mandated integration in the late 60s.

There were a lot of great players on those Attucks, Dillard and Ely teams of the 40s, 50s and 60s that would've deserved spots on a list like this. Those loaded Jake Gaither FAMU teams had plenty Dade and Broward kids on their rosters.

One name that I've heard of from old-timers was Cyril Pinder from Attucks High in Liberia/Hollywood. All state in football and basketball (rumor is he played in the band at halftime too), he went to Illinois, was a 2nd round pick by Philadelphia and played 5yrs with the Eagles, Bears and Cowboys.

Someone mentioned South Broward legend (and #1 pick in the 1965 NFL draft) Tucker Frederickson earlier in the thread. Someone I know spoke to Tucker once and he mentioned how even during segregation, they would go to Attucks games to see Pinder (same for Dillard and Ely's stars) because the talent was every bit as good.

Even before the population boom of the last few decades, Broward punched above its weight class when it came to talent in all sports, football included.

front.jpg
Scan_20210928-7-scaled.jpg

Sucks that a lot of the players who played at the black schools pre-1970s are kinda lost to history, as the FHSAA didn't keep any of the stats or records before the state mandated integration in the late 60s.

There were a lot of great players on those Attucks, Dillard and Ely teams of the 40s, 50s and 60s that would've deserved spots on a list like this. Those loaded Jake Gaither FAMU teams had plenty Dade and Broward kids on their rosters.

One name that I've heard of from old-timers was Cyril Pinder from Attucks High in Liberia/Hollywood. All state in football and basketball (rumor is he played in the band at halftime too), he went to Illinois, was a 2nd round pick by Philadelphia and played 5yrs with the Eagles, Bears and Cowboys.

Someone mentioned South Broward legend (and #1 pick in the 1965 NFL draft) Tucker Frederickson earlier in the thread. Someone I know spoke to Tucker once and he mentioned how even during segregation, they would go to Attucks games to see Pinder (same for Dillard and Ely's stars) because the talent was every bit as good.

Even before the population boom of the last few decades, Broward punched above its weight class when it came to talent in all sports, football included.

View attachment 180939 View attachment 180940
Definately athletic...and definately Bahamian...being from that Liberia area and last name Pinder.

Crazy i can post pictures of Pinder's i know from Grand Bahama that look just like him.

Likely related in someway.

Advertisement
Definately athletic...and definately Bahamian...being from that Liberia area and last name Pinder.

Crazy i can post pictures of Pinder's i know from Grand Bahama that look just like him.

Likely related in someway.

Yup. Bahamian. Cyril just passed last January.

If you made an All-Time 954 football team what would it look like? Not necessarily talking how they ended up in college/pros, more so talking what they was in high school. How great of a prep player they were and as a prospect. Love the back n forth and the stories or film...if you can find em post em for your guys/nominees

Head Coach: George Smith,St Thomas Aquinas
Assistant Coach: @Coach Macho, CIS
Mark Guandolo, Chaminade

We will start with the offense.

QB: Geno Smith, QB, Miramar (Im 100percent bias)
Denard Robinson,QB, Deerfield Beach
Ryan Schneider,QB, Plantation
Honorable Mention: Quinn Gray, Dillard

RB: Tyrone Moss, RB, Ely
Errict Rhett, RB, Hollywood McArthur
Lorenzo White,RB, Dillard
Zack Crockett,FB, Ely
Honorable Mention: Sony Michel, RB, American Heritage, Autry Denson,RB, Nova Quadtrine Hill, Piper (HB/FB ) Otis Mounds, rb, Dillard Tucker Frederickson, S. Broward

WR (4 wr set): Michael Irvin, WR, St Thomas Aquinas
Isaac Bruce,Wr, Dillard
Frank Sanders,WR, Dillard
Kevin Beard, WR, Plantation

Honorable Mention: Brian Blades, Piper Stacey Coley, Northeast Jerry Jeudy, Deerfield Beach

TE: James Jones, TE, Ely

OL: G Steve Hutchinson, Coral Springs
OT Davin Joseph, Hallandale
OT Damion McIntosh, McArthur
C, Brandon Linder,St Thomas Aquinas
G, Stockar Mcdougle, Deerfield Beach

Honorable Mention:Todd Weiner,Taravella Sam Young, St Thomas Aquinas Gogeta4, CIS

Jerry Seymour Chaminde for me on the RB list

Although he finished at Miami pace iirc so he may not be considered broward

Advertisement
All-Broward 2nd Team:

QB - Lamar Jackson from Pompano, literally the greatest & most electric athletic QB from Broward ever.
QB - Tyler Huntley

RB - Devin Singletary
RB - Alex Collins
RB - James White
RB - Giovani Bernard

WR - Marquise Hollywood Brown
WR - Phillip Dorset
WR - Calvin Ridley
WR - Brandon Powell

Believe Lamar Jackson started at Northeast HS in Oakland park

Kicker- Olindo Mare Cooper City

Broward didn’t really have a population explosion until the last 20 years so I’m surprised as many old school guys made your list.

Quinn Gray was a bad ***. He was probably the first legit high school QB I remember seeing in person. Big dude with a big arm but his Dillard team back in 96 was surprisingly bad. He was the whole offense and half his passes got dropped. Autry Denson, I believe is still Notre Dame’s all time leading rusher. The backfield at Nova with him and Khalid Abdullah (FSU) was ridiculous. They didn’t attempt a single pass against us. Ryan Schneider was putting up huge passing numbers back when nobody in high school threw the ball much still. Him and Kevin Beard were an all time combo. He would have broken all of Daunte Culpepper’s records at UCF if he wasn’t too busy partying.

STA had a kicker back in the day named Jay Ottovegio that went to Stanford, kid had a cannon for a leg. Come to think of it a decent amount of good kickers out of STA and Blair Walsh from Gibbons I think

Defense coached by @Coach Macho and Damon Cogdell

DL-
Corey Simon, DT, Ely
Rubin Carter, DT, Stranahan
Jerome Mcdougle,DE ,Ely
Joey Bosa, DE, St Thomas Aquinas
Honorable Mention: Matthias Askew, DT, Dillard Nick Bosa,DE St Thomas A quinas Brian Burns, DE, American Heritage Geno Atkins, St Thomas Aquinas

LB-

Dan Morgan, MLB, Taravella
Jon Beason, WLB, Chaminade
Barry Krauss, LB, Pompano
Ryan Shazier, EDGE, Plantation
Honorable Mention: Abdul Hodge, Boyd Anderson Rod Carter, Fort Lauderdale Devin Bush Jr, Flanagan Tavares Gooden, St Thomas

DB-

Patrick Johnson Peterson,CB Ely
Bryant Mcfadden CB, Mcarthur
Bennie Blades, S, Piper
Major Wright,S, St Thomas
Lamarcus Joyner,Nickel, St Thomas
Honorable Mention: Tyrone Carter, Nickel, Ely Al Blades,S , Plantation Travis Daniels, cb, South Broward Brian Robinson,Dillard Pat Surtain Jr, American Heritage James Williams S, American Heritage

ATH- Guys that played both ways and could go on either all time teams.

Chris Gamble,WR/DB Dillard
Tavares Spillman,WR/DB Hollywood Hills
Asante Samuel,QB/CB, Boyd Anderson
Daryl Porter RB/S, St Thomas

RIP- Calvin Jackson, DB Dillard Leonard Myers DB, Dillard

While he played LB in college I think Beason played Safety in HS which was crazy considering how huge he was

@HOLISTIC CANE Tell em about Frank Sanders and the Auburn guys
Hey man I mentioned it earlier in another post. When I played at Auburn there were some BEAST’S on those teams from Warner Robins.That’s a long list brother and I try not to derail threads talking about Auburn, but James Brooks is a name I’ll mention off the top of my head.

Advertisement
Advertisement
While he played LB in college I think Beason played Safety in HS which was crazy considering how huge he was
He played alot of safety AND LB.

He started out his hs career at safety mostly. They had Glenn Cook playing MLB.

Beason idol was Deion Sanders and his older brother was a corner...so he always saw himself as a db. Been my friend from 7th grade.

This has to be about what they did after high school. For example, James Jones never played TE in high school, he was a RB. At Florida they 1st moved him to FB then to TE. Any all Broward team that does not have Rod Backer from Ely on it has to be about what they did after high school, because he is arguably one of the greatest high school players to play in Broward, and this is coming from a Dillard Panther.
Was gonna throw Rod Baker in there. Tony Sands and Slip Watkins from Aquinas were legit too

Advertisement
Back