All-Time Broward County Football Team

Advertisement
Kicker- Olindo Mare Cooper City

Broward didn’t really have a population explosion until the last 20 years so I’m surprised as many old school guys made your list.

Quinn Gray was a bad ***. He was probably the first legit high school QB I remember seeing in person. Big dude with a big arm but his Dillard team back in 96 was surprisingly bad. He was the whole offense and half his passes got dropped. Autry Denson, I believe is still Notre Dame’s all time leading rusher. The backfield at Nova with him and Khalid Abdullah (FSU) was ridiculous. They didn’t attempt a single pass against us. Ryan Schneider was putting up huge passing numbers back when nobody in high school threw the ball much still. Him and Kevin Beard were an all time combo. He would have broken all of Daunte Culpepper’s records at UCF if he wasn’t too busy partying.
That Nova backfield was nice. Barley beat a loaded MCA Mustang (96) squad lead by another strong backfield in Amp Kelly and the FB. That Mustang team also had Damion McIntosh and Tony Evans who were monsters on the line. Also had the Chandler twins at DB. I believe their lil brother, Q Chandler out rushed everybody (Dade & Broward) the following year (97). And don't forget the Mustang legend Erricht Rhett!!!

Broward also produced Fred Sterle (DT at Plantation in 98), Brodreck Nelson (DB at South Broward in 98), Ely had Nick Davis and Charles Hafley. Dillard had Tron Lafavor (boy was a beast!) And the pride of Taravella, Dan Morgan!!!

I know I left off some other good ones! Interesting topic nonetheless!!! 🙌🏿💯

That Nova backfield was nice. Barley beat a loaded MCA Mustang (96) squad lead by another strong backfield in Amp Kelly and the FB. That Mustang team also had Damion McIntosh and Tony Evans who were monsters on the line. Also had the Chandler twins at DB. I believe their lil brother, Q Chandler out rushed everybody (Dade & Broward) the following year (97). And don't forget the Mustang legend Erricht Rhett!!!

Broward also produced Fred Sterle (DT at Plantation in 98), Brodreck Nelson (DB at South Broward in 98), Ely had Nick Davis and Charles Hafley. Dillard had Tron Lafavor (boy was a beast!) And the pride of Taravella, Dan Morgan!!!

I know I left off some other good ones! Interesting topic nonetheless!!! 🙌🏿💯
I didn't mention Al Blades at DB (Assumed that was a given)... Don't forget Trav Daniels (South Broward) and Brian McFadden (MCA). Two more players in a completely loaded field of Broward county DB's!

You could make a case for Dan Morgan for offense as well as defense.

Throw in a couple former noles - Henri Crockett and Sterling Palmer. Those dudes were beasts in HS.

Sam Young at OL has to be considered as well. Surprised he was such a flop.

Advertisement
If you made an All-Time 954 football team what would it look like? Not necessarily talking how they ended up in college/pros, more so talking what they was in high school. How great of a prep player they were and as a prospect. Love the back n forth and the stories or film...if you can find em post em for your guys/nominees

Head Coach: George Smith,St Thomas Aquinas
Assistant Coach: @Coach Macho, CIS
Mark Guandolo, Chaminade

We will start with the offense.

QB: Geno Smith, QB, Miramar (Im 100percent bias)
Denard Robinson,QB, Deerfield Beach
Ryan Schneider,QB, Plantation
Honorable Mention: Quinn Gray, Dillard

RB: Tyrone Moss, RB, Ely
Errict Rhett, RB, Hollywood McArthur
Lorenzo White,RB, Dillard
Zack Crockett,FB, Ely
Honorable Mention: Sony Michel, RB, American Heritage, Autry Denson,RB, Nova Quadtrine Hill, Piper (HB/FB ) Tucker Frederickson, S. Broward

WR (4 wr set): Michael Irvin, WR, St Thomas Aquinas
Isaac Bruce,Wr, Dillard
Frank Sanders,WR, Dillard
Kevin Beard, WR, Plantation

Honorable Mention: Brian Blades, Piper Stacey Coley, Northeast Jerry Jeudy, Deerfield Beach

TE: James Jones, TE, Ely

OL: G Steve Hutchinson, Coral Springs
OT Davin Joseph, Hallandale
OT Damion McIntosh, McArthur
C, Brandon Linder,St Thomas Aquinas
G, Stockar Mcdougle, Deerfield Beach

Honorable Mention:Todd Weiner,Taravella Sam Young, St Thomas Aquinas Gogeta4, CIS
Otis Gray absolutely has to be on that coaching staff. Original Broward county "Godfather".

A surprising number of quality offensive linemen from Broward over the years.

Advertisement
Bobby Battle doesn't even get an honorable mention listing? Lead Broward in rushing and points. Broward player of the year. Class 6A first team all state. He was small but felt he ran a lot like Barry Sanders. You think he is bottled up and breaks through for a long TD.

Kicker- Olindo Mare Cooper City

Broward didn’t really have a population explosion until the last 20 years so I’m surprised as many old school guys made your list.

Quinn Gray was a bad ***. He was probably the first legit high school QB I remember seeing in person. Big dude with a big arm but his Dillard team back in 96 was surprisingly bad. He was the whole offense and half his passes got dropped. Autry Denson, I believe is still Notre Dame’s all time leading rusher. The backfield at Nova with him and Khalid Abdullah (FSU) was ridiculous. They didn’t attempt a single pass against us. Ryan Schneider was putting up huge passing numbers back when nobody in high school threw the ball much still. Him and Kevin Beard were an all time combo. He would have broken all of Daunte Culpepper’s records at UCF if he wasn’t too busy partying.

EXACTLY.

Schneider and Kevin Beard WERE The air it out duo....and they played Kevin Beard in the slot alot.

Quinn Gray was big as **** as well...would of been at minimum a 4 star recruit...went to FAMU back when going to HBCUs was a big deal late 90s.

I really think these guys ar sleeping on what these dudes were doing in Broward in High School.

Also there are a bunch of Kickers and Punters to obviously. lol

Advertisement
Throw in a couple former noles - Henri Crockett and Sterling Palmer. Those dudes were beasts in HS.

Sam Young at OL has to be considered as well. Surprised he was such a flop.
He was on my Honorable mention list if you checked

Defense coached by @Coach Macho and Damon Cogdell

DL-
Corey Simon, DT, Ely
Rubin Carter, DT, Stranahan
Jerome Mcdougle,DE ,Ely
Joey Bosa, DE, St Thomas Aquinas
Honorable Mention: Matthias Askew, DT, Dillard Nick Bosa,DE St Thomas A quinas Brian Burns, DE, American Heritage Geno Atkins, St Thomas Aquinas

LB-

Dan Morgan, MLB, Taravella
Jon Beason, WLB, Chaminade
Barry Krauss, LB, Pompano
Ryan Shazier, EDGE, Plantation
Honorable Mention: Abdul Hodge, Boyd Anderson Rod Carter, Fort Lauderdale Devin Bush Jr, Flanagan Tavares Gooden, St Thomas

DB-

Patrick Johnson Peterson,CB Ely
Bryant Mcfadden CB, Mcarthur
Bennie Blades, S, Piper
Major Wright,S, St Thomas
Lamarcus Joyner,Nickel, St Thomas
Honorable Mention: Tyrone Carter, Nickel, Ely Al Blades,S , Plantation Travis Daniels, cb, South Broward Brian Robinson,Dillard Pat Surtain Jr, American Heritage James Williams S, American Heritage

ATH- Guys that played both ways and could go on either all time teams.

Chris Gamble,WR/DB Dillard
Tavares Spillman,WR/DB Hollywood Hills
Asante Samuel,QB/CB, Boyd Anderson
Daryl Porter RB/S, St Thomas

RIP- Calvin Jackson, DB Dillard Leonard Myers DB, Dillard

Last edited:
Advertisement
Defense coached by @Coach Macho and Damon Cogdell

DL-
Corey Simon, DT, Ely
Rubin Carter, DT, Stranahan
Jerome Mcdougle,DE ,Ely
Joey Bosa, DE, St Thomas Aquinas
Honorable Mention: Matthias Askew, DT, Dillard Nick Bosa,DE St Thomas A quinas Brian Burns, DE, American Heritage Geno Atkins, St Thomas Aquinas

LB-

Dan Morgan, MLB, Taravella
Jon Beason, WLB, Chaminade
Barry Krauss, LB, Pompano
Ryan Shazier, EDGE, Plantation
Honorable Mention: Abdul Hodge, Boyd Anderson Rod Carter, Fort Lauderdale Devin Bush Jr, Flanagan Tavares Gooden, St Thomas

DB-

Patrick Johnson Peterson,CB Ely
Bryant Mcfadden CB, Mcarthur
Bennie Blades, S, Piper
Major Wright,S, St Thomas
Asante Samuel,Nickel, Boyd Anderson
Honorable Mention: Tyrone Carter, Nickel, Ely Al Blades,S , Plantation Travis Daniels, cb, South Broward Brian Robinson,Dillard Pat Surtain Jr, American Heritage

ATH- Guys that played both ways and could go on either all time teams.

Chris Gamble,WR/DB Dillard
Tavares Spillman,WR/DB Hollywood Hills
Asante Samuel,QB/CB, Boyd Anderson
Daryl Porter RB/S, St Thomas

RIP- Calvin Jackson, DB Dillard Leonard Myers DB, Dillard
Pretty good list. These guys at least deserve honorable mentions IMO.

Sterling Palmer (STA 1989)
Lamarcus Joyner (STA 2010)
James Williams (AH 2021)

Joyner probably deserves 1st team status he was USA Today National Defensive POY and #1 DB nationally his last year at St Thomas Aquinas.

We never got to see James full potential due to covid and he transferred around constantly. But as a prospect he’s as highly touted a S recruit in the last decade.

Sterling Palmer another blue chip FSU bust. He was one of the Top5 overall players in the nation in the 89 class. It was the transition class when Jimmy left for Dallas. I believe Palmer was the #2 LB in the nation that season the #1 LB was a guy named Jessie Armstead you might’ve heard of him. Palmer switched to DE at Florida State and was either a 2nd or 3rd round pick I think. But coming out of STA he was supposed to be the next big thing he’s a Broward legend.

Tyson Campbell probably deserves an honorable mention top10 prospect nationally and a pure stud in track as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back