All in on Mario is the "Miami" thing to do and therefore completely wrong

Advertisement
Advertisement
If they would be interested, as some have stated, then we are.
Not discrediting those that say they are it’s just a little hard for me to envision personally

Not being a mope but considering our track record it’s a little far fetched

Not discrediting those that say they are it’s just a little hard for me to envision personally

Understood. Coupled with the fact that people have been really going all in against manny the last few weeks, has me slightly skeptical of change coming - if change is coming, why waste so much energy on manny, or it’s a personal thing with manny which makes me question reports as well.

That’s what scares me about Mario
This is what I'm saying. Mario's formula would be to bring that power spread offense down here and when it didn't work initially because the OL wasn't built for it he'd try to fix it in recruiting. The thing is the OL he has access to in Utah, Arizona and Washington aren't coming to Miami. We know this. So he'll be competing against the entire SEC and Clemson and Ohio State for the type of guys he wants. Good luck winning those battles.

Is he adaptable? Would he go air raid because it fits our talent better or would he be stubborn and take 2-3 years at a minimum to fix the OL and getting it to look the way he wants. Meanwhile we're dropping games which won't help recruiting.

I tend to agree with you with two big caveats - Admin overhauls the athletic department and is willing to pay. The job itself, with the proper support, could be desirable. Currently, there is no indication that these will happen.

Advertisement
Aside from a small handful of programs there’s never been more parity.

Next guy has to provide a schematic advantage.

This is what I'm saying. Mario's formula would be to bring that power spread offense down here and when it didn't work initially because the OL wasn't built for it he'd try to fix it in recruiting. The thing is the OL he has access to in Utah, Arizona and Washington aren't coming to Miami. We know this. So he'll be competing against the entire SEC and Clemson and Ohio State for the type of guys he wants. Good luck winning those battles.

Is he adaptable? Would he go air raid because it fits our talent better or would he be stubborn and take 2-3 years at a minimum to fix the OL and getting it to look the way he wants. Meanwhile we're dropping games which won't help recruiting.
Not only won’t it help recruiting, we’d be two losses and get the part of the fanbase with their “I saw everything I needed to know when” and “this was another lazy Miami hire”

Not only won’t it help recruiting, we’d be two losses and get the part of the fanbase with their “I saw everything I needed to know when” and “this was another lazy Miami hire”
Can't tell them that know they just see a guy with every advantage in the world winning in a conference that doesn't really care about football. Now they're locked in on him.

Even if we exclude the gift he was given last year when Washington had Covid and couldn't play in the title game despite winning the Pac-12 North, he's been gifted Jimmy Lake, Chip Kelly, Clay Helton and Herm Edwards. Guys hired at 4 schools that should be battling Oregon for everybody out west but for different reasons aren't. The best coach in that conference coaches at Utah. Not exactly a destination for high-level recruits. So Mario will always have the talent advantage there.

Most of this isn't remotely accurate. He isn't Saban. No one is. He wouldn't dominate Florida recruiting because Miami never will. He's built a top ten program off the backs of a down Washington, USC and UCLA. There is no competition out there. He's not recruiting against Jimmy Lake in Miami. He's swings down at the rest of that conference when it comes to budget, recruiting, and support.

New found commitment at Miami or not he'll be swinging up against all the SEC and Ohio State and really the entire country who like to poach when it comes to recruiting, budget and support. Expecting a duplication isn't realistic. Mario wants to overwhelm with talent. We've been hearing about that formula since Butch. "Keep the local guys home". You're never gonna do it. Those days are over. You'll get your share but never dominate. How about find someone so good at actually coaching that he wins and competes in big games with less until the talent catches up? They would all feed into each other.
He’s not Nick Saban. The equivalence is in how the hire will be viewed nationally. Relative to other Florida schools, he would dominate.

Advertisement
Sure. But he’s not saban. If he was it wouldn’t take him 5 years to recruit a QB..and he **** sure wouldn’t be losing to Oregon state or Stanford. He’s a very good recruiter along the LOS in particular...and a very questionable game day coach..you what would be the equivalent to getting Nick Saban? Getting either Saban or Kirby then giving them UGA and Bama resources…Mario would be a upgrade tho don’t get me wrong
He’s not Saban, I didn’t say that. The hire would be perceived in the same light, that’s where the similarity is. You’d be poaching a Top Ten coach that’s been able to win big at another P5 school. It would send a message, nationally.

I’m not a Kiffin fan or a Mario fan

And the part that’s worse is I don’t think we are good enough to get either one of them
We missed the lane train when he was slumming in boca.. We didnt even call him, only phone call was to temple to pay for opportunity to hire rookie corch.. We paid a premium for Manny...

By the way who are you a fan of?

I think the prospect of going all in on Mario is predicated on two beliefs/assumptions. 1. That likely no other serious HC for any P5 team will take this program serious enough, and that’s assuming Blake James stays, that rationale can certainly change if Miami hires a competent and respected AD. 2. That it’s now or bust for Cristobal. Which is a fair assumption because Mario Cristobal should’ve been hired as HC 3 years ago. We don’t know if he’ll leave Oregon for sure and especially after they make the playoffs but if he’s our only saving grace we as program can’t let LSU, USC and possibly UF beat us out if he were to move on. So while I agree that Miami should due their diligence with the process. If he Cristobal wants to come here, you find a way.

Advertisement
Kirby is not a great in game coach either. That’s where the compatibles comes in imo.. stack stack stack, and win because of talent to overcome coaching
Kirby has shown willingness as a young HC to change and improve..and dude is in the playoff discussion every year because he has enough self awareness to understand players win games..not schemes…the only indictment on Kirby was the Justin fields situation and tbh that was a Young QB who was hungry to see the field

I’m not a Kiffin fan or a Mario fan

And the part that’s worse is I don’t think we are good enough to get either one of them
I don't think Mario or Kiffin is as slam dunk as fix UM than the fans think. It's a tough fix only few men can do and I don't even know that mystery man is a target. He would have to be hired by accident. Hardest job in America IMO

He’s not Nick Saban. The equivalence is in how the hire will be viewed nationally. Relative to other Florida schools, he would dominate.
Who cares how it will be viewed? I don't care about PR wins. Most of the country doesn't even watch Oregon football so no it isn't like Alabama stealing an employed NFL head coach and hiring him.

He doesn't just recruit against the other Florida schools. The entire country spends time down in Miami recruiting and none of them are gonna say "oh ****, Miami hired Cristobal"

We need to stack talent to win. It’s a prerequisite to having any level of success in the P5. Cristobal is one of the best recruiters in the country. There’s maybe a handful of coaches at his level in that regard. He also nows how to run a program. Oregon was a smoldering dumpster fire before he took the reigns. He’s turned them around and has them competing each week. Not to mention they’ve had injury issues all year. They beat OSU down 5 starters on the defense.

He’d be a homerun hire and the other Florida schools wouldn’t have a shot against him in recruiting.

Advertisement
Back