All in on Mario is the "Miami" thing to do and therefore completely wrong

Advertisement
Kirby has shown willingness as a young HC to change and improve..and dude is in the playoff discussion every year because he has enough self awareness to understand players win games..not schemes…the only indictment on Kirby was the Justin fields situation and tbh that was a Young QB who was hungry to see the field
I’ve seen him make terrible calls, clock management etc in many games. He’s increased his bankroll for recruits and it’s paying off.

Is it though?

Because I'd argue hiring a coach who's built a top 5 program and will cost a **** ton of money, is the exact opposite of the Miami thing to do.

We did that with Richt. We spent more money and hired a program building experienced coach with a tremendous pedigree. And we ran into problems. We hired the big name that was immediately available to us but no one took the time to fully vet the decision and consider all potential problems. Like nepotism. I'm not saying the sitations are exactly the same and Richt was at the tail end of his career and Mario is in his prime. The point is that the when you are hiring and especially when you are hiring for a very high level position, there is a right way and wrong way to conduct a search. The professional, pragmatic, and intelligent way to do it is as I outlined in my original post. That's what gives you the best odds of success. The Miami way is to not do that.

Who cares how it will be viewed? I don't care about PR wins. Most of the country doesn't even watch Oregon football so no it isn't like Alabama stealing an employed NFL head coach and hiring him.

He doesn't just recruit against the other Florida schools. The entire country spends time down in Miami recruiting and none of them are gonna say "oh ****, Miami hired Cristobal"
He’s one of the best recruiters in the country. There’s only a handful of coaches that are on his level, in that regard. Miami is perceived as not caring about football. That has negative effects on the program. Showing we will do whatever it takes to win is a needed step. Our brand is trash right now. It’s needs to be rehabilitated.

We missed the lane train when he was slumming in boca.. We didnt even call him, only phone call was to temple to pay for opportunity to hire rookie corch.. We paid a premium for Manny...

By the way who are you a fan of?
Kiffin was finishing a 5-7 season the year Richt retired. Not sure hiring the under .500 coach from FAU is something anybody could've reasonably sold. Expecting Blake James to sell it to people...well forget about it.

Advertisement
Also would love for UM to do is ask themselves.....what did all these losing failed hires have in common? If there was one thing that they all did the same and failed at......it was not recruiting premiere elite athletes. That's the one thing u can say all of them had in common especially based off the NFL production. The one guy who looks like a premiere guy is Greg.....and he was a phenom here u didn't have to coach. Those are the guys we need to bring in by the boat load.

He’s one of the best recruiters in the country. There’s only a handful of coaches that are on his level, in that regard. Miami is perceived as not caring about football. That has negative effects on the program. Showing we will do whatever it takes to win is a needed step. Our brand is trash right now. It’s needs to be rehabilitated.
I'll argue he's not one of the best recruiters in the country. His competition is soft as baby ****. He's beating out Jimmy Lake, Clay Helton and Chip Kelly for recruits. All guys who can't recruit and don't really like it. Lets see how long that label remains when he's fighting off the entire country for kids who don't think Miami is the place to be.

He’s not Saban, I didn’t say that. The hire would be perceived in the same light, that’s where the similarity is. You’d be poaching a Top Ten coach that’s been able to win big at another P5 school. It would send a message, nationally.
You said it would be the equivalent..which is why I thought you had the weird idea that Mario was even close to even a 07 Saban. As far as top 10 P5 coaches
Top tier in order
Saban
Kirby (might be a changing of the guard)
Dabo
Jimbo
Day

Tier 2 in order
Riley
Kelly
Franklin
Mario
Jim harbaugh

If we poached anyone from that top tier Itd be a quick turnaround (talent acquisition wise) Imo..tier 2 anyone of those names is a respectable hire.

Advertisement
Why people act like hiring coaches is easy?
The vast majority of the hires are failures, Miami can ask 100 questions, "vet" all they want and still come up with the wrong guy.
Alabama sucked, go look at names before Saban. Florida hit the hat-trick of ******* idiots with the last 3 hires. Auburn paid a ridiculous amount of money to end up with Bryan Harsin as the HC. Oregon lucked into "the savior" Cristobal after Taggart dipped to FSU, and the list goes on.

Obviously Manny has to go, but acting like there's a magic formula out there for Miami to follow is wishful thinking. I'm in favor of Freeze, Herman, Campbell or Napier, but nobody is a slam dunk

I'll argue he's not one of the best recruiters in the country. His competition is soft as baby ****. He's beating out Jimmy Lake, Clay Helton and Chip Kelly for recruits. All guys who can't recruit and don't really like it. Lets see how long that label remains when he's fighting off the entire country for kids who don't think Miami is the place to be.
That’s a good point. Oregon has been a strong hold in Cali/west coast. They are the biggest fish in a ocean out there..Washington, USC and UCLA have not carried their weight..but key is, the big boys in the SEC and OSU to lesser degree, haven’t gone out there and taken the elite guys like they’ve done in Florida..he’s hasn’t had head up battles with UGA/Bama/OSU for the most part…could he win those battles and will Miami poor resources into recruiting that’s needed to win these battles

A lot can be said about Cristobal’s game day experience. But he’s without a doubt one of the best recruiters in the country. He’s won the National Recruiter of the Year award like three times. Saban himself said he was one of the best recruiters he’s ever seen. At Oregon his classes have been ranked in the top ten through his tenure. He’s not just beating out Pac 12 competition.

Advertisement
Why people act like hiring coaches is easy?
The vast majority of the hires are failures, Miami can ask 100 questions, "vet" all they want and still come up with the wrong guy.
Alabama sucked, go look at names before Saban. Florida hit the hat-trick of ******* idiots with the last 3 hires. Auburn paid a ridiculous amount of money to end up with Bryan Harsin as the HC. Oregon lucked into "the savior" Cristobal after Taggart dipped to FSU, and the list goes on.

Obviously Manny has to go, but acting like there's a magic formula out there for Miami to follow is wishful thinking. I'm in favor of Freeze, Herman, Campbell or Napier, but nobody is a slam dunk
Do any of them have ties to the southeast? Let alone Florida?

You said it would be the equivalent..which is why I thought you had the weird idea that Mario was even close to even a 07 Saban. As far as top 10 P5 coaches
Top tier in order
Saban
Kirby (might be a changing of the guard)
Dabo
Jimbo
Day

Tier 2 in order
Riley
Kelly
Franklin
Mario
Jim harbaugh

If we poached anyone from that top tier Itd be a quick turnaround (talent acquisition wise) Imo..tier 2 anyone of those names is a respectable hire.
Yeah the perception of the hire is what’s similar. I should have been more clear on that. He’s not Saban, there is only one Saban. It would be important for the brand, to finally show the CFB world that were serious about winning. Would be big for recruits too.

I’ll argue that if manny fing Diaz can get guys like Taylor both Williams kam garcia just for having a U polo on that’s exactly why you go get Mario access to talent raises his profile and by extension ours

Advertisement
Completely put aside his Miami ties and look at his body of work. He absolutely should be a top candidate.

I’ve come a bit more around to Kiffin as my first choice with Mario a close second. I don’t even need those guys to be Saban, I’m happy with a coach who can come in and get us competitive for a few years in a row. In all reality, if we’re going to sustain any type of success we need someone to come in and win 9-11 games a year for a couple years. I think Lane and Mario can both do that.

Mario can recruit both sides of the ball. My only thing is can he do that at UM? Your going up against bama OSU UGA etc......where at Oregon u don't have to. And that goes for anyone we hire.....dmoney explained that fsu DB Cooper was a baller and he was......they have **** coaches over there at FSU and he balls. Ballers ball we need ballers real ballers not over hyped CIS ballers. The HC has to bring in ballers if he doesn't he will be packing in three years I don't care who it is.....if it's Herman Freeze Lane Mario......if they all bring basic guys they will get basic results.
They are more than enough players in Florida to overcome Bama, UGA, and others. Oregon has to recruit in CA and more nationally. This staff has done a ****** job and passed on kids we should have signed.

A competent staff would be no less than 8-2 even with this roster despite our holes.

Advertisement
Back