Al Golden Interview WQAM

CaneSuger

Thunderdome
http://wqam.com/interviews

Put things in to perspective. We are the only team in Div 1 football who has 20 freshman playing on defense. He knew what kind of team we would be in the Spring, that we would have to outscore teams. Says there will come a day when this defense will be dominant, but we gotta focus on getting better and can only focus on the next game.

Gave UNC a lot of respect. Says they are as good as K State or Notre Dame.

Time to get back on the horse.

Advertisement
I love Golden.....but he needs to pull his head out of his *** on wieclaw. He isn't getting it back and he better coach accordingly.

People will write that off as excuse-making, but it is what it is.

Let's say we decide to run a completely different scheme for the rest of the season. How much improvement do people expect? You'd see nominal gains at best. Playing press man or whatever isn't going to move the needle much, and that doesn't accomplish anything long term.

'Look I'm not gonna sit here and make excuses, but we're starting freshmen all over the field.'

"Joe, look Not gonna make excuses but..."

-were playing 20 freshman
-We didnt convert third downs
-we left defense out there too long ( I dont get this, isnt it the defense job to get off field or does he want Morris to tackle also)
-penalties on special teams
-Rahael Kirby is playing first game on road
-Ivery Playing first game on road
-one other team played 4 road games of first 6
-2 acc games on the road
-2 top ten teams on the road.

It was hard to get all of them down, he was just throwing soo many out there, hard to keep up.

Advertisement
This team is no different than the one that beat GT and NCST. Let's stop pretending like it should have been.

Not gonna make excuses but...

-we left defense out there too long ( I dont get this, isnt it the defense job to get off field or does he want Morris to tackle also)
-2 acc games on the road

It was hard to get all of them down, he was just throwing soo many out there, hard to keep up.
They all are truth.
You have to understand there is huge difference between 17-18 year kid and 22-23 year kid.

anyone that didnt look at depth chart on d before boston college game and say omg this is going to be a rough year needs there head examined. with a few injuries we knew it would be catastrophic so lets see no porter, no pierre. anyone not named dbc seen this coming after first depth chart was released. it is just we won a few games and everyone forgot

just remember, most experts predicted us 4-6 win team this year. There is a reason for that.

Advertisement
That dude can talk me into thinking a toilet bowl of poo is gold.

And I buy it every time.

Advertisement
Look I understand we are young but I'm sick of hearing that excuse. We are ranked 117 in the NCAA in defense (or somewhere around there). I have a hard time believing that our young talent is worse than the likes of over 100 other division 1 defenses. If you tell me we rank 50-60 or even 70, fine, I get it we are young. But we are almost dead F'ing last and lead the nation in 1st downs and rushing yards given up. That to me is something more than youth. IMO the defensive coaches need to shoulder most of this blame. From Donofrio all the way down to Franklin. Whether it is scheme or player development or whatever it's inexcusable. The best coaches in America get more out of less and we clearly are not doing that. What scares me the most is we aren't showing improvement. If you are a young team and are being coached well you should get better as the season goes along. We seem to be getting worse and that is pretty scary considering some of the teams we will face coming up.

Advertisement
"Joe, look Not gonna make excuses but..."

-2 acc games on the road

He should have said "Joe, Joe, Joe. You axe me that same question every week."

So now there is a split in cane nation about golden and the defense.

Lets look at it this way. Last year he had veterans, defense was terrible but slowly improved as the scheme became obvious. Did they reach their full potential? No.

This year a bunch of the starting upperclassmen graduated or left early. So now you have a young team that has to learn the scheme. Its almost as if its Golden's first official year.

Now what happened at temple. First year defense was terrible. Second year slight improvement, their year significant improvement and 4th year they were really good. They were giving up 300 yards a game and 18.8 (I believe) per game. Now you look at the 300 yards a game and say holy crap thats a lot. But its not. In the MAC that is very very low.

Some will say he had better players. Sure he may have had good recruiting classes but he still developed those players on defense to execute. The Temple offense during Golden's time was terrible, so it was mainly the defense that was winning those games.

The conclusion is, just give the guy another year. Lets see where we are this time next year. Lets just ride it out, see what happens. If the defense is significantly better next year, then we are in business. If not then we can start talking about replacing our defensive coordinator. But you gotta give it one more season. You can't just say he had two years. From last year to this year, the team is completely different.

We probably have the 70th ranked defense or so if we play an average schedule. We have lost to two Top 5 opponents on the road.

Look I understand we are young but I'm sick of hearing that excuse. We are ranked 117 in the NCAA in defense (or somewhere around there). I have a hard time believing that our young talent is worse than the likes of over 100 other division 1 defenses. If you tell me we rank 50-60 or even 70, fine, I get it we are young. But we are almost dead F'ing last and lead the nation in 1st downs and rushing yards given up. That to me is something more than youth. IMO the defensive coaches need to shoulder most of this blame. From Donofrio all the way down to Franklin. Whether it is scheme or player development or whatever it's inexcusable. The best coaches in America get more out of less and we clearly are not doing that. What scares me the most is we aren't showing improvement. If you are a young team and are being coached well you should get better as the season goes along. We seem to be getting worse and that is pretty scary considering some of the teams we will face coming up.

just remember, most experts predicted us 4-6 win team this year. There is a reason for that.

This team is having a Redskins like season:

- The team is predicted to do horribly by the media, the rationale fans accept it but set their sights a little higher than predicted
- The team starts off unexpectedly well against teams who (usually are found out later) to be not that good (ex: Saints this year)
- The fans, even the more rationale ones, over estimate how good the team is and up their expectations that were probably set too high to begin with
- The team starts losing and it's flaws that were known to be there from the beginning are exposed
- The fans forget what the expectations were going into the season, ignore the fact that the success came against bad teams and rip the team for ending up how most predicted they would

Miami is not a very good team that is actually exceeding expectations right now, but they are also a victim of their early success. I expected 6-6 or so going into this season and I think most rationale fans were in that ballpark, but the problem now is that if they do go 6-6 (or even 7-5), most are going to be upset as most of those losses will come on the back end after a (misleading) promising start.

Advertisement
Back