Al Golden Interview WQAM

It's very difficult to tell the difference between "excuses" and "reasons for failure" when you're a fan listening to a coach. There are facets of this team that won't and can't be changed this season.

Advertisement
All of y'all dissing Golden for "making excuses" are idiots.

Coach is obligated to talk to the media and answer questions. Just because he gives an honest answer doesn't mean he's "making excuses."

And what do you want him to say in the media about our kicker? That he stinks? That would be great coaching for a position that is almost all mental. He has to try and give the kid confidence. He has no choice. He can't be like Parcells and kick him to the curb and just sign some schmoe off the street.

I'm sure if it were up to most coaches they wouldn't say **** to the media ever. Especially after a loss. They have media obligations and you guys are clowns for not realizing that.

I am willing to bet we will be a top ten team in 14 regardless what the NCAA does. That's how talented I think our core freshmen and sophs are, and I haven't said that in a long long time.

If they all stay here.....which I highly doubt.

I did not expect much from this team this year. I did, however, expect us to not be ranked dead last or close to dead last on D. When there are over 110 teamns out of 120 better than you on D it IS a reason to be concerned. NO ONE on this site predicted complete incompetence when it came to our D. We can't stop the run or pass.

When u look at the entire season and last season u see a trend. It's bad bad bad defense as a whole.

This is not being delusional, this is being aware.

I did not expect much from this team this year. I did, however, expect us to not be ranked dead last or close to dead last on D. When there are over 110 teamns out of 120 better than you on D it IS a reason to be concerned. NO ONE on this site predicted complete incompetence when it came to our D. We can't stop the run or pass.

When u look at the entire season and last season u see a trend. It's bad bad bad defense as a whole.

Think about this. Teams like FIU, FAU, etc. have better stats than us on defense. That's bad. Yet again Louisiana Tech is ranked behind us on Total Defense and IIRC they're ranked in the Top 25.

How many of those teams are relying on 5 freshman on ther Dline? Two freshman at LB? 3 first year CB? And and freshman safety?

Combine that with Jags like Green, Cornelius, Gaines, Smith, Highsmith, Telemaque and you have the ingredients for a very bad defense

Yea it's D'onofrio'd fault too, but let's not act like it is not the players either.

Advertisement
When you have to rely on true freshmen to play an integral role on your team, you will have major breakdowns during the course of the season. Take a look at what happened to UGA this weekend while relying on two true freshmen at RB. Those guys combined for 300 yards against TENN the week before and then boom--go on the road against a very good team and they can't break a 100 yards combined. It will just happen at one point or another unless your team is far more talented than all of your opponents.

Think about this. Teams like FIU, FAU, etc. have better stats than us on defense. That's bad. Yet again Louisiana Tech is ranked behind us on Total Defense and IIRC they're ranked in the Top 25.

It's all relative, FIU and FAU are playing lesser opponents, and while their guys aren't as talented as our guys.. i would guess (and it's only a guess).. that they aren't trotting out 8 Fr and So and 3 Jrs and Srs as their starting D.. and let's not even discuss the lack of depth.

118th ranked defense is inexcusable and I reject any notion that we're less talented than teams in the Sun Belt Conference regardless of underclassmen.

Advertisement
118th ranked defense is inexcusable and I reject any notion that we're less talented than teams in the Sun Belt Conference regardless of underclassmen.
We are not less talented. We just too young. How many teams rely on so many freshmen, especially on DT position

it's not just a talent issue, it's experience and depth too.. all of that counts.

Al, all I want is 6 wins so we can self-impose another bowl ban. That is all I want. Beat UVA and Duke. Not asking too much I don't think

Don't need 6 wins to self impose a ban. They could have done it before the season started, and they can do it at any point in time when whatever they are banning is still mathematically possible.

There is no benefit to doing it before the end of the season. If we don't qualify, then "self-imposing" has no value. The only value it has is if you actually give up a bowl slot that you've qualified for. Wait until the end of the season and hope by then the NCAA might actually get off their ******* *** and provide us with a notice of allegations. If they haven't then you probably self-impose again, although if we win the Coastal that would be a tough call.

Advertisement
Golden is sounding too much like Shammin here. I dont mind, and expected, the beatdown by ND. But i dont like the excusemaking here. I know why he's doing it but i don't like it. If the players are too young and inexperienced to run the defense, find a defense that they CAN run. Golden is making it sound like we are we the dumbest defense in college football. And he's doing it to protect his buddy. Not very accountable to me.

The excuses are there and for a reason. But my problem is are we seeing one iota of competency?
I haven't seen the light. Usually you'll see glimpses of the possibilities. We're in year 2 under D'Onofrio and TEs and RBs are still wide open all day.

That's a problem. If you teach your players to be over-aggressive and get downhill fast then expect to get gashed on play-action, mis-directions, backside runs, etc.

Advertisement
Al, all I want is 6 wins so we can self-impose another bowl ban. That is all I want. Beat UVA and Duke. Not asking too much I don't think

Don't need 6 wins to self impose a ban. They could have done it before the season started, and they can do it at any point in time when whatever they are banning is still mathematically possible.

There is no benefit to doing it before the end of the season. If we don't qualify, then "self-imposing" has no value. The only value it has is if you actually give up a bowl slot that you've qualified for. Wait until the end of the season and hope by then the NCAA might actually get off their ******* *** and provide us with a notice of allegations. If they haven't then you probably self-impose again, although if we win the Coastal that would be a tough call.

That is incorrect. Just as an NCAA mandated ban of 2 years would count (or be over after 2 years) even if the school does not become eligible for that from which it is banned in either of those 2 years, an institution can self impose a ban (bowl, championship game, whole postseason, etc.) as long as that from which they are banning themselves is still mathematically possible.

Look I understand we are young but I'm sick of hearing that excuse. We are ranked 117 in the NCAA in defense (or somewhere around there). I have a hard time believing that our young talent is worse than the likes of over 100 other division 1 defenses. If you tell me we rank 50-60 or even 70, fine, I get it we are young. But we are almost dead F'ing last and lead the nation in 1st downs and rushing yards given up. That to me is something more than youth. IMO the defensive coaches need to shoulder most of this blame. From Donofrio all the way down to Franklin. Whether it is scheme or player development or whatever it's inexcusable. The best coaches in America get more out of less and we clearly are not doing that. What scares me the most is we aren't showing improvement. If you are a young team and are being coached well you should get better as the season goes along. We seem to be getting worse and that is pretty scary considering some of the teams we will face coming up.

What do you think we were ranked last year?

That is incorrect. Just as an NCAA mandated ban of 2 years would count (or be over after 2 years) even if the school does not become eligible for that from which it is banned in either of those 2 years, an institution can self impose a ban (bowl, championship game, whole postseason, etc.) as long as that from which they are banning themselves is still mathematically possible.

So you are saying that if we self-impose today and lose out, therefore not qualifying for a bowl, that would count against future sanctions? I seriously doubt that. Scholarships, yes. Will try to look it up but if you have a link that would be helpful.

Fans are idiots
this

You have the end of the world fans that threaten players after a loss like its a life n death situation sort of like soccer fans. You have the guys that know you gotta go back to your family and cant control the players that were givin offers (upperclass kids) that aren't UM material. You cant tell a guy put pressure use technique teach it but he has to be more talented than the guy in front of him. You have us fans that know we cant do anything but know our coach will bust his *** recruiting wise to fix this.

Even Mike Mayock the best guy out there knows AG is a stud its just a matter of two things. Time is one and the sanctions because that can push AG and this staff progression back for 3 or 4 years. If not I expect a monster 2014 or 15 season. Next year wwe will not be ready because the meat in the middle ( DT ) will be first timers.

Advertisement
Back