Al Golden Interview WQAM

Golden is sounding too much like Shammin here. I dont mind, and expected, the beatdown by ND. But i dont like the excusemaking here. I know why he's doing it but i don't like it. If the players are too young and inexperienced to run the defense, find a defense that they CAN run. Golden is making it sound like we are we the dumbest defense in college football. And he's doing it to protect his buddy. Not very accountable to me.

That would go against EVERYTHING that Al stands for..... "Hey we've been teaching that "this" is the right way to play defense at the U, but since that's not working right now, we're going to change everything up and negate everything we've been teaching for the last year and a half" .. I don't think that's Al's style, nor should it be... we haven't even finished year 2 of the golden era, they don't even have a class of Juniors yet, but we know for sure that D'Onofs (and Golden's) D.. that worked before, with temple talent, doesn't work here. Come on, man.

Advertisement
What I cannot understand is how you folks are willing to call the players jags, cite our youth, cite lack our of talent, cite our lack of depth and everything else under the sun, but absolutely refuse to assign any of the blame to coaching. 118!!!!! Coaching is playing a role here. All other reasons are valid, but u don't get a pass when ur team is playing this poorly on D.

What type of super human athletes will it take in this scheme to be ranked first in total defense? How big is the talent gap? According to you folks we have less than north Dakota state talent. I reject that type of thinking.

Answer this...do you think coach D is getting the most out of the talent he has on D?

Last edited:
What I cannot understand is how you folks are willing to call the players jags, cite or youth, cite are lack of talent, cite our lack of depth and everything else under the sun, but absolutely refuse to assign any of the blame to coaching. 118!!!!! Coaching is playing a role here. All other reasons are valid, but u don't get a pass when ur team is playing this poorly on D.

What type of super human athletes will it take in this scheme to be ranked first in total defense? How big is the talent gap? According to you folks we have less than north Dakota state talent. I reject thinking.

Answer this...do you think coach D is getting the most out of the talent he has on D?

Thing is our biggest weakness unfortunately is what makes this defense roll. We need Bryant Bostwick and throw Senat in there fk it.

What I cannot understand is how you folks are willing to call the players jags, cite or youth, cite are lack of talent, cite our lack of depth and everything else under the sun, but absolutely refuse to assign any of the blame to coaching. 118!!!!! Coaching is playing a role here. All other reasons are valid, but u don't get a pass when ur team is playing this poorly on D.

What type of super human athletes will it take in this scheme to be ranked first in total defense? How big is the talent gap? According to you folks we have less than north Dakota state talent. I reject thinking.

by all accounts this was a middle of the road D last year.. we lost a lot of contributors from that middle of the road D.. the expectation that this D would be better than last year's is ludicrous. And while i agree coaches should shoulder blame, at this point in time, D'Onof has to work with what he's got, which isn't much. And maybe we could get marginal improvement by changing the scheme drastically this season, but then we'll be behind the curve in year 3 and year 4 when we're once again trying to teach the D the "right" way.

Advertisement
I look at it kinda like I look at our basketball program. That's what the combo of Coker and Shannon has turned us into, our basketball program. And with the basketball team and coach Larranaga, I think Larranaga will have them competing once he has all juniors and seniors. The main difference is that our football program actually atracts top recruits. But in football, you have way more players to worry about. Basketball, you only start 5 guys. Football has 11 on offense, 11 on defense, 11 on ST and then you have to recruit depth.

Patience, patience, patience people. This program was run into the ground. We are rebuilding. God I am so tired of this argument. Just because we get all pumped for the season and people go "All In" after some close wins versus unranked teams, doesn't mean that the program is "back" yet. What does it take for y'all to realize this?

Coach Golden did sound a little agitated this a.m. Would answer Joe's questions, but seemed to be a little short with Joe and the answers. One could tell in his voice he is perplexed about the game.

Coach Golden did sound a little agitated this a.m. Would answer Joe's questions, but seemed to be a little short with Joe and the answers. One could tell in his voice he is perplexed about the game.

Not surprising. He is emotionally invested as any coach out there. One of the reasons I like him so much. Stark contrast from Clappy and Shannon with his dumbfounded look on his face during games.

by all accounts this was a middle of the road D last year.. we lost a lot of contributors from that middle of the road D.. the expectation that this D would be better than last year's is ludicrous. And while i agree coaches should shoulder blame, at this point in time, D'Onof has to work with what he's got, which isn't much. And maybe we could get marginal improvement by changing the scheme drastically this season, but then we'll be behind the curve in year 3 and year 4 when we're once again trying to teach the D the "right" way.

I think the investment in this style of D is a bad one. I did not expect us to be better, but I did not see this level of bad coming either. It is historically bad. HISTORICAL!

Advertisement

I think the investment in this style of D is a bad one. I did not expect us to be better, but I did not see this level of bad coming either. It is historically bad. HISTORICAL!

I will be interested to see the fan response once the defensive foundation is in place. Should be an all-you-can eat crow buffet in here, with a side of shut your ******* mouths and support the team.

it makes sense.. he shouldn't have to be telling people that he has 20 freshman in the 2 deep defensively, he assumes fans are smart enough to figure that out and understand it's going to take some time.. it's a terrible assumption.

It may turn out to be a terrible one, but it's his job on the line, so I understand 100% that he's going to do it the way he's always done it, and has had success with previously. It doesn't make any sense for him to go down in a ball of flames doing something he doesn't believe in, just to appease fans.

Advertisement
I will be interested to see the fan response once the defensive foundation is in place. Should be an all-you-can eat crow buffet in here, with a side of shut your ****ing mouths and support the team.

This is the problem...what foundation is being put in place right now? What can u point to and say OK that is good? Explain what is good about the "soft coverage foundation". Why on gods green earth does our dbs play so far off the ball? What technique is that and how do u build on it?

I just don't know what we want to be on defense because nothing seems to work. That's my point.. I love golden. Love what he is doing, but I cannot sit here and say I see the rational behind what we do on d. We give away tons of uncontested yards by design. Sorry that is a crap scheme to me.

It may turn out to be a terrible one, but it's his job on the line, so I understand 100% that he's going to do it the way he's always done it, and has had success with previously. It doesn't make any sense for him to go down in a ball of flames doing something he doesn't believe in, just to appease fans.

Aren't they 3-4 guys? Is he doing what he has been successful with? IMHO this is the crux of the problem.

Advertisement
Al, all I want is 6 wins so we can self-impose another bowl ban. That is all I want. Beat UVA and Duke. Not asking too much I don't think

My hope as well, since the beginning of the season.

As long as we are not having the same conversation next year this time...... we wasted so many years hoping and praying that things will turnaround the following season when we have the right players.

Want some coaches who will look at winning as an essential year to year for this program. Not like the midwest Big TEn teams who hope for a good season once a decade.

Probably because there is a limit to using the excuse of youth to explain things every week. At some point in a season, there should be signs of improvement, even with with a young team. Doesn't mean that you win, but there should at least be some sign of improvement. When you are in game 6 and your team clearly quits, it's probably a little perplexing.

Advertisement
Back