Al Golden Interview WQAM

I imagined him making this face as he was rattling off excuses.

"Joe, look Not gonna make excuses but..."

-were playing 20 freshman
-We didnt convert third downs
-we left defense out there too long ( I dont get this, isnt it the defense job to get off field or does he want Morris to tackle also)
-penalties on special teams
-Rahael Kirby is playing first game on road
-Ivery Playing first game on road
-one other team played 4 road games of first 6
-2 acc games on the road
-2 top ten teams on the road.

It was hard to get all of them down, he was just throwing soo many out there, hard to keep up.

Advertisement
Win this week and everything goes back to normal.

Straight up, we win this week and there will be kool aid for everyone. it is very hard to find any perspective after losses like this on any of these boards. We knew we were gonna struggle this year, the outside pundits predicted 4-5 wins, our fans were hoping for a bit more. The second we are at 4-1, all of a sudden 9 wins becomes expected and the ACC is within grasp. IMHO we are ahead of the curve thus far this season. We have a big game coming up at home that we are just as capable of winning as we are losing. It will be a dog fight, but if we win all will be good on this board until 2 weeks after that when FSU comes calling.....

We are 4-2. I didn't think we'd hit three at this point. Like it was mentioned, look at the depth chart from camp.

Guys it's Monday,new week, new opponent, we're running the table in our conference who could have said that when the season started?

Let's focus on UNC

golden really obama'd that one

Would it be better if he said one thing and then 5 minutes later flip flopped? Or just flat out made something up? Like said we are starting 98 freshman? I believe that would be called really Romneying it

Advertisement
We probably have the 70th ranked defense or so if we play an average schedule. We have lost to two Top 5 opponents on the road.

Look I understand we are young but I'm sick of hearing that excuse. We are ranked 117 in the NCAA in defense (or somewhere around there). I have a hard time believing that our young talent is worse than the likes of over 100 other division 1 defenses. If you tell me we rank 50-60 or even 70, fine, I get it we are young. But we are almost dead F'ing last and lead the nation in 1st downs and rushing yards given up. That to me is something more than youth. IMO the defensive coaches need to shoulder most of this blame. From Donofrio all the way down to Franklin. Whether it is scheme or player development or whatever it's inexcusable. The best coaches in America get more out of less and we clearly are not doing that. What scares me the most is we aren't showing improvement. If you are a young team and are being coached well you should get better as the season goes along. We seem to be getting worse and that is pretty scary considering some of the teams we will face coming up.

GTFO, I am not one of the people calling for Coach D's head, but this is a ridiculous statement. ND's offense is ranked 84th AFTER what they did to us. They have a total of 1992 yards after five games and we gave them 587 of those. Of their first 4 games, they were held under 350 yards each game and under 250 for two of those. Now mind you, Michigan and Michigan St have pretty decent defenses, but Purdue and Navy do not have anything special. Also, keep in mind that ND put up all those yards after they basically decided to become one dimensional and put in 2nd string players for the entire 4th quarter; I shudder to think what they would have done if they kept the foot on the pedal.

Edit: I forgot, KSU is only ranked 41st in total offense, so it's not like they are a juggernaut either.

Last edited:
We probably have the 70th ranked defense or so if we play an average schedule. We have lost to two Top 5 opponents on the road.

Look I understand we are young but I'm sick of hearing that excuse. We are ranked 117 in the NCAA in defense (or somewhere around there). I have a hard time believing that our young talent is worse than the likes of over 100 other division 1 defenses. If you tell me we rank 50-60 or even 70, fine, I get it we are young. But we are almost dead F'ing last and lead the nation in 1st downs and rushing yards given up. That to me is something more than youth. IMO the defensive coaches need to shoulder most of this blame. From Donofrio all the way down to Franklin. Whether it is scheme or player development or whatever it's inexcusable. The best coaches in America get more out of less and we clearly are not doing that. What scares me the most is we aren't showing improvement. If you are a young team and are being coached well you should get better as the season goes along. We seem to be getting worse and that is pretty scary considering some of the teams we will face coming up.

Have you bothered to check the offensive rankings of the teams we played....they are all very average to below.

I have been a fan of Golden.....but consider me officially concerned.

The crying from the fans is getting old. We started Corey King and Darius Smith at defensive tackle last week. We were actually in the game at halftime and if Dorsett could catch the ball (and the refs didn't ***** us on the roughing call), we probably would've been leading.

Notre Dame took advantage of our paper thin defensive line in the 2nd half and wore us out. We are short on depth, talent, and experience at the most critical position on the defense. We're going to improve, Perryman still looked hobbled, Kirby played his first game, Pierre was out, Paul still looks hurt, Porter has a gypsy curse on him. Point is, there are a lot of injuries on an already thin group.

Next year we'll get O'Donnell, Hoilett, and Briscoe on the field after redshirting. Hamilton, McCord, Ivery, and Moore will all be sophomores. Bryant, probably Bostwick, and a JUCO (and maybe Tim Williams) will come in as well. We've got guys in the pipeline, but we've got to stop ****ing and moaning when the team fails a test.

We got an F against Kansas St, this Notre Dame game was more of a D.

Al, all I want is 6 wins so we can self-impose another bowl ban. That is all I want. Beat UVA and Duke. Not asking too much I don't think

Advertisement

I can live with giving up yards and points to two top 5 teams and then using youth as an excuse. I understand that. But what about giving up over 1200 yards to BC (lost to army), GTech (lost to middle Tennessee state), and NC State. I'm not just pointing out two games. This has been the issue all year and it hasn't improved. Again there is ZERO excuse for being 3 spots away from DEAD LAST in The country in defense. Dead last. Let that sink in.

Not gonna make excuses but...

-we left defense out there too long ( I dont get this, isnt it the defense job to get off field or does he want Morris to tackle also)
-2 acc games on the road

It was hard to get all of them down, he was just throwing soo many out there, hard to keep up.
They all are truth.
You have to understand there is huge difference between 17-18 year kid and 22-23 year kid.

Never said they werent, but never heard Al's tone like that before, like the 118 ranked defense and its coach shouldnt be questioned. He got really defensive at the thought of any questions about Dono. We know its all true but he literally has everyone of those excuses at the ready after saying he wasnt going to make any.

Plus its like he tries to deflect blame off the Defense and put it on the offense, when in reality the offense is also breaking in many starters for the first time also and they were playing a much tougher assignment in this game against ND defense. Granted, they missed their early opportunities but in these types of games you NEED the defense to make stops, when you give the excuse of we left the defense on the field to long, what does that even mean? Its THEIR job to get off the field on third down, they cant.

They put up 50 on Navy.

Oh and we have played probably the toughest schedule in Division 1 football to this point. Maybe Notre Dame isn't Oregon, but they're not Middle Tennessee State either which is the kind of garbage opponent most decent teams have been padding their schedule with till now.

GTFO, I am not one of the people calling for Coach D's head, but this is a ridiculous statement. ND's offense is ranked 84th AFTER what they did to us. They have a total of 1992 yards after five games and we gave them 587 of those. Of their first 4 games, they were held under 350 yards each game and under 250 for two of those. Now mind you, Michigan and Michigan St have pretty decent defenses, but Purdue and Navy do not have anything special. Also, keep in mind that ND put up all those yards after they basically decided to become one dimensional and put in 2nd string players for the entire 4th quarter; I shudder to think what they would have done if they kept the foot on the pedal.

Edit: I forgot, KSU is only ranked 41st in total offense, so it's not like they are a juggernaut either.

Let this sink in: Our defense sucks balls. I get it. Sucks balls. But we are NOT the worst defense in college football. You said you would be happy if we were around 70th. All's I'm saying is that our defense if probably like the 70th best at the end of the day.

I can live with giving up yards and points to two top 5 teams and then using youth as an excuse. I understand that. But what about giving up over 1200 yards to BC (lost to army), GTech (lost to middle Tennessee state), and NC State. I'm not just pointing out two games. This has been the issue all year and it hasn't improved. Again there is ZERO excuse for being 3 spots away from DEAD LAST in The country in defense. Dead last. Let that sink in.

Advertisement
Al, all I want is 6 wins so we can self-impose another bowl ban. That is all I want. Beat UVA and Duke. Not asking too much I don't think

Don't need 6 wins to self impose a ban. They could have done it before the season started, and they can do it at any point in time when whatever they are banning is still mathematically possible.

Advertisement
**** it. I'm going to swallow my statements on Defense until next year. I'm still going to be ****ed, but I will hold off on comments like "we can't be dead last in the nation" again until next year. Next year, there must be improvement. There will be new faces, another off-season, and another year into the scheme. If we see the same garbage and get smashed for 380 yards rushing come next year, I think the excuses can stop at that point and we will have to call it what it is. Until then, this is only year 2 into Golden's regime and same goes for D'Onofrio. Honestly, all the anger and bitterness toward our defensive performance doesn't change anything. I'm letting it go for my own **** health.

I am willing to bet we will be a top ten team in 14 regardless what the NCAA does. That's how talented I think our core freshmen and sophs are, and I haven't said that in a long long time.

Not gonna make excuses but...

-2 acc games on the road

They all are truth.
You have to understand there is huge difference between 17-18 year kid and 22-23 year kid.

Never said they werent, but never heard Al's tone like that before, like the 118 ranked defense and its coach shouldnt be questioned. He got really defensive at the thought of any questions about Dono. We know its all true but he literally has everyone of those excuses at the ready after saying he wasnt going to make any.

Plus its like he tries to deflect blame off the Defense and put it on the offense, when in reality the offense is also breaking in many starters for the first time also and they were playing a much tougher assignment in this game against ND defense. Granted, they missed their early opportunities but in these types of games you NEED the defense to make stops, when you give the excuse of we left the defense on the field to long, what does that even mean? Its THEIR job to get off the field on third down, they cant.
You are right, the d was left on the field too long because they could not make stops. But I do believe O also has the responsibility for that. If they could move the chain, it would give D more time to rest and adjust. So we did not do well on both phases.
Everyone knows our D sucks, my point is it is mostly due to the youth and inexperience. VT is a very good example this year. They have a good DC and were always solid on D, but it is horrible this year. When I ask my VT friend about the reason, he replied that they have very bad and inexperience DL and secondary.

Advertisement
Back