AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

Define regularly
While we are at it define DE.
McCord is more OLB than DE.

Shayon (275 lbs) and Gilbert regularly split out over a WR.

define regularly

look at the WF tape of their first possession. it happened at least 4 times on that one drive.

Advertisement
Golden and defense in the same sentence

407.gif

Define regularly
While we are at it define DE.
McCord is more OLB than DE.

Shayon (275 lbs) and Gilbert regularly split out over a WR.

define regularly

look at the WF tape of their first possession. it happened at least 4 times on that one drive.

wondering what is considered "regularly" Not what happened in one game. In general, define regularly.

it happens multiple time every game unless we're playing a team like GT who doesnt play a conventional offense.

generally teams that go to 3-4 WR sets, you will see this alignment from F.A.G. "regularly" - i.e. nearly every possession

i refuse to believe that someone can be as dense as you come off here so I assume you are trolling

it happens multiple time every game unless we're playing a team like GT who doesnt play a conventional offense.

generally teams that go to 3-4 WR sets, you will see this alignment from F.A.G. "regularly" - i.e. nearly every possession

i refuse to believe that someone can be as dense as you come off here so I assume you are trolling

This is a grown up conversation, no need to get hostile.

The question is simple, what do you consider "regularly". If you think it means 1 time, then everyone understands what you mean. If you just throw out a random amount like "regularly", only you know what that is.

So what does "nearly" every possession mean to you? 82%? 50% ? 25%?

still also waiting on what number "regularly" mean btw.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The question is simple, what do you consider "regularly". If you think it means 1 time, then everyone understands what you mean. If you just throw out a random amount like "regularly", only you know what that is.

the offense dictates their alignment generally so it depends on what the offense is doing. so I've noticed that in 3-4 WR sets when its not 3rd down, they seem to do it every single time.

on 3rd and long they put their "speed" package in which is basically a nickle look so it doesnt happen then. but on the other hand this look gets completely destroyed more often than not

satisfied?

the offense dictates their alignment generally so it depends on what the offense is doing. so I've noticed that in 3-4 WR sets when its not 3rd down, they seem to do it every single time.

on 3rd and long they put their "speed" package in which is basically a nickle look so it doesnt happen then. but on the other hand this look gets completely destroyed more often than not

satisfied?

so all first and second down plays that have at least 3-4 WR, got it.

Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

Define regularly

but wait, I had initially asked the question to poster talking about Carroll never doing this. do you feel the same as he does?

Advertisement
Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

We have the talent to run it NOW.

We need to let the DL play not just take up space and occupy an OL.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Except our base defensive front, 4 0 4 aka Okie, is a front that Seattle never uses. And while we play cover 3, our implementation couldn't be further from theirs.

Either golden doesn't know how to run a different scheme or he's just mentally challenged. It doesn't work. He can insist on implementing this defense but he's gonna get the same results. This isn't UVA or Temple. You can't field a horrendous defense for three years have one good year then revert back to the mean. He either doesn't understand that or doesn't care.

Biggest problem with golden, he's willing to field terrible defenses for 3 or more years just so he can get that one year where his defense plays well. He did that at UVA and at temple. That's a terrible way to run a top tier program.

Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

We have the talent to run it NOW.

We need to let the DL play not just take up space and occupy an OL.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Except our base defensive front, 4 0 4 aka Okie, is a front that Seattle never uses. And while we play cover 3, our implementation couldn't be further from theirs.
Don't pay attention to jerzey. He will say anything to defend golden.

Advertisement
and LOLZ at anyone that thinks we'll see anything different schematically this year. it will be the exact same garbage with possibly slightly better players but that doesnt matter when you face good teams. they will destroy this pathetic defense every time

and LOLZ at anyone that thinks we'll see anything different schematically this year. it will be the exact same garbage with possibly slightly better players but that doesnt matter when you face good teams. they will destroy this pathetic defense every time

That is until the opposing team gets in the redzone and we "flip the switch" and really turn the intensity up.

Advertisement
go here:

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct?date=2011-01-11

and look at year to year (look at Shannons last year, **** even look at his worst year 2007) and then start comparing it to F.A.G./Dorito.

every single relevant defensive stat falls off a cliff starting year 1 and just gets worse with these ********. it is actually hard to believe how bad it is in such a short amount of time.

we go from basically top 25 in most categories to bottom 25 in 2-3 years. unreal

but hey - i know i know, those stats dont matter. its all W/Ls right

go here:

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct?date=2011-01-11

and look at year to year (look at Shannons last year, **** even look at his worst year 2007) and then start comparing it to F.A.G./Dorito.

every single relevant defensive stat falls off a cliff starting year 1 and just gets worse with these ********. it is actually hard to believe how bad it is in such a short amount of time.

we go from basically top 25 in most categories to bottom 25 in 2-3 years. unreal

I looked at those stats in disbelief!!

go here:

I looked at those stats in disbelief!!

yards dont matter though

Advertisement
Back