AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

Miami was 96th in the country on 3rd down conversions on offense. Says a ton.

.....and VT's offense was 113th but still finished with a top-5 D.

Our defense was 90th at stopping opponents on 3rd down but theirs was 3rd....that's the difference- We couldn't get off the field because our D sucked.

I'm certainly not saying or suggesting that a team's ability to convert third downs on offense is the only reason a defense is bad. However, it's a contributing factor. Want to know another one? Time of possession. Want to know where VT finished? 8th nationally. You hold the ball , the other team runs less plays, they have less of a chance of putting up yards/points. That simple. Miami? Yeah…120 of 125.

lulz.

Sooo VT was #8 in Time of Possession but their offense was:

#106 in first downs
#113 in 3rd down conversions
#110 in rushing offense
#102 in total offense

With those pathetic numbers, how did they manage to be #8 in time of possession? Their #4 ranked defense gave their offense more opportunities with the football :)

Ditto for UF-@gz #115 offense which was #3 in time of possession...

Last edited:
Advertisement

Our defense was 90th at stopping opponents on 3rd down but theirs was 3rd....that's the difference- We couldn't get off the field because our D sucked.

I'm certainly not saying or suggesting that a team's ability to convert third downs on offense is the only reason a defense is bad. However, it's a contributing factor. Want to know another one? Time of possession. Want to know where VT finished? 8th nationally. You hold the ball , the other team runs less plays, they have less of a chance of putting up yards/points. That simple. Miami? Yeah…120 of 125.

lulz.

#106 in first downs
#110 in rushing offense
#102 in total offense

With those pathetic numbers, how did they manage to be #8 in time of possession? Their #4 ranked defense gave their offense more opportunities with the football :)

I hear you. I was wrong there--no doubt there will always be exceptions. Obviously uf and vt have two of the better defensive minds in college football--it shows.

Explain this:
Here's a real world example…take a look at the Denver Broncos defensive stats pre-Manning and then with Manning:
2011 Defensive stats (Tebow): 390 points given up 5725 yards 1063 plays
2012 Defensive stats (Manning):289 points given up 4652 yards 1015 plays

So is anybody using this "offense was hurting the defense" premise going to come up with an explanation for why we continued to employ an aggressive, hurry-up offense that was killing our defense besides our coach's idiocy? My own explanation is that the coaches were aware of the impact of the 3 and out on the defense but they didn't care because they knew that their best chance to win was to score points and get ahead for predictability. They could've played to the defense if they thought they could win that way--control the ball and score less but it's ok because you'll give up less. They didn't. No matter how much we want to criticize the O, the coaches knew that it was the strength of the team and their best chance to win and they strategized accordingly. This again brings us back to the fact that the defense was just bad and they knew it'd be bad no matter how they approached the O.
Never understood why they ran the hurry up. I remember Fisch saying golden wanted him to run a hurry up offense. your explanation makes perfect sense. They had so little faith in the defense they figured out scoring teams was the only way to go even if it meant putting a 100+ ranked defense back on the field. These coaches are truly terrible.

Golden did have Fisch run a more fast-paced offense in 2012 because he knew the defense was going to struggle. I feel like I even remember him saying as much.

lulz.

#106 in first downs
#110 in rushing offense
#102 in total offense

I hear you. I was wrong there--no doubt there will always be exceptions. Obviously uf and vt have two of the better defensive minds in college football--it shows.

Explain this:
Here's a real world example…take a look at the Denver Broncos defensive stats pre-Manning and then with Manning:

Look up the Broncos defensive stats from last year when they had the leagues best offense by a mile and their QB had the best season ever. Their D was average on a good day and mostly bad.

In 2012 broncos hired jack del rio as the d-coordinator who is a pretty good defensive coach.

They got a big years out of von miller(about 17 or 18 sacks) and dummervile(about 11 sacks).

they drafted derek wolfe in the 2nd round at dt/de who helped them vs the run and gave them a pass rush from inside and had a very good rookie year.

wesley woodyard had a pro bowl year and tracy porter was playing very good at cb.

basically when del rio came they got much better and they addressed the defense in the draft and free angency.

Advertisement
Look at the saints in 2012 one of the best offenses in the nfl and they had the worst defense in nfl history that year.

peyton manning for his whole career with the colts they had bad defenses despite having a top 3 offense every year.

just because your offense is good or great is not going to make your defense good.

lulz.

#106 in first downs
#110 in rushing offense
#102 in total offense

Explain this:

Did Denver add any impact defensive players in that offseason? Was a defensive coaching change made? Was the scheme changed? How did they draft? I honestly don't know.

There's a lot on the defensive side of the ball I would look at before incorporating the loss of Tebow and the addition of Manning as the reasons for defensive improvement.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

We have the talent to run it NOW.

We need to let the DL play not just take up space and occupy an OL.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Just because an NFL team does it, doesn't mean we can. Who cares what Seattle is doing?

Just because an NFL team does it doesn't mean we can use it effectively. We play option teams, how often do pro teams go against a flexbone or triple option?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back