AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

Paranos

All-ACC
AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy for the program in this Video from last fall. He seems very steadfast in his resolve to stick with it. But overall this will provide very good insight into the Man's vision for the future of the defense ( unfortunately it may remain more of the same from the smartest guys in the room ).

[video=youtube_share;oxMqjaryUcQ]http://youtu.be/oxMqjaryUcQ[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
The very beginning sounds great, but unfortunately we are doing exactly what he said it is not about.

What exactly do we run on defense anyway? After 3 years I'm still confused as to what exactly is Golden's vision for this defense. Does he want to go to a pure 3-4? Are we going to be a hybrid? Once he has all his pieces in place will we be more of an attacking defense or remain passive and contain oriented? Are we going to be a 2 gap team or do what Pete Carroll did and play 1 gap generally with one guy playing 2 gap? Will we ever see more press man or bump and run or we be playing cover 3 mostly with the CB's bailing? Does anyone have any clear insight into this because the above video cleared up absolutely nothing for me.

Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.

Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.

300.gif

Advertisement
Problem is we play spread teams, Pro STyle teams, option teams and hybrid spread/pro....hard to run one..but his *** needs to pick a happy medium and not confuse these players more than they are...

The only knock i had last year was us starting kids that shoudnt have been out there, i rewatched most of the games last year and the majority of the big plays given up were on those players, this year we have talent no matter who is starting

We have no disguised coverage schemes or blitz packages. No timing and no zone awareness. Cover 3 can work. Seattle uses it. The way we play it is pathetic, though. The defensive personnel has been lacking, but I feel like the staff should have identified that as a problem and adjusted accordingly. I hope we see a huge improvement this year, or it will be another heartbreaking fall.

in wait and see mode to see if changes were made to actually put players in the best position possible to be successful. just want to see the plays designed around our personnel and their strengths not just a system that worked in the past and then making excuses when we give up 550 against a putrid ACC offense

Advertisement
We have no disguised coverage schemes or blitz packages. No timing and no zone awareness. Cover 3 can work. Seattle uses it. The way we play it is pathetic, though. The defensive personnel has been lacking, but I feel like the staff should have identified that as a problem and adjusted accordingly. I hope we see a huge improvement this year, or it will be another heartbreaking fall.

This is the thing that gets me. I don't know the x's and o's of defensive schemes, but clearly what we were doing was not working and although the talent level was not where Miami used to be, it certainly wasn't bad enough that the UVAs and Pitts of the world should be putting half a thousand yards on us.

We have a defensive philosophy? Does D'onfrio know?

anyone send him the link to the video so he's up to speed?

Last edited:
The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

We have the talent to run it NOW.

We need to let the DL play not just take up space and occupy an OL.

Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

The thing is the 3-4 works. Most of the really good defenses on the college and professional level use it. In college, Alabama, LSU, FSU, just to name a few use it. In the NFL the top 4 that come to mind, SF, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore use it. The idea works. I think we just play way too passive. Lining up 7-10 yds off the WRs is retarded. Undisguised blitzes are retarded. We show our hand and the other team knows exactly what we are doing.

***** walking a safety down and having him blitz with soft coverage. I think we need to bring our safeties down and play press. Sometimes the safety blitzes and sometimes they back off in coverage.

Advertisement
it looks like Al Golden's defensive philosophy is to get to 3rd and long and then let the offense convert every time, eating the clock and scoring on every possession

that or just give up huge plays for long scores.

either way it seems the idea is to let the other team score at will. I havent quite figured out this strategy yet but I'm sure hes got some brilliant reason for it

404.gif

it looks like Al Golden's defensive philosophy is to get to 3rd and long and then let the offense convert every time, eating the clock and scoring on every possession

that or just give up huge plays for long scores.

either way it seems the idea is to let the other team score at will. I havent quite figured out this strategy yet but I'm sure hes got some brilliant reason for it

Advertisement

LSU does not run a 34 defense FYI.

Seattle does not play a 3-4. They're a 4-3 team with that plays DE DT DT DT and a LEO giving a 5 man front.

Actually it's Sam, 2-gap DE/DT, 1tech NT, 3tech DT, standup DE (Leo) as their base front.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Seattle plays a hybrid defense...as do we.

Just because an NFL team does it, doesn't mean we can. Who cares what Seattle is doing?

Advertisement
Back