AL Golden explains UM's Defensive Philosophy

Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.

Anyone else do a double take as to the author of this post?

Advertisement
Too many busted assignments for any defense to work. Philosophy and scheme are meaningless without execution. It's going to continue to get better and better with the infusion of more talent and more of Al's recruits replacing Shannon's slugs.
Sorry to burst your bubble but all of Shannon players are gone from the starting defense. Dont even know if there are any left period. Its Golden defense and his players. Funny the team played better when it was all Shannon players. Whose fault is it they are not executing. Let me guess. ..Shannon?

Sorry to burst your bubble but all of Shannon players are gone from the starting defense. Dont even know if there are any left period. Its Golden defense and his players. Funny the team played better when it was all Shannon players. Whose fault is it they are not executing. Let me guess. ..Shannon?

nope, its clearly Obamas fault..

Highsmith and Rodgers handicapped our ability to do what we wanted to do on defense. Both of them weren't athletic enough to play at the line of scrimmage in coverage which is why we needed the jack to do it. It was a choice between getting beat deep or giving up the middle but containing.

Guys like Bush (healthy finally), Carter, Dallas, and Jenkins will allow us to play the safety up and take coverage responsibilities away from the lbs a bit.

I'm expecting a vast improvement, particularly if we can get a better rush this year as last year was terrible.

What exactly do we run on defense anyway? After 3 years I'm still confused as to what exactly is Golden's vision for this defense. Does he want to go to a pure 3-4? Are we going to be a hybrid? Once he has all his pieces in place will we be more of an attacking defense or remain passive and contain oriented? Are we going to be a 2 gap team or do what Pete Carroll did and play 1 gap generally with one guy playing 2 gap? Will we ever see more press man or bump and run or we be playing cover 3 mostly with the CB's bailing? Does anyone have any clear insight into this because the above video cleared up absolutely nothing for me.

+1. I have no idea either. AG's entire career as a defensive guy has been running the 3-4, and that's certainly what it seemed like he was trying to install here at first. But our official depth chart still lists positions as a 4-3 (e.g., 2 DTs instead of 1 NG). I have no clue

Advertisement
3-4, 4-3, 5-2, who gives a ****. I just want a defense that tackles mother****ers before they make first down after first down.

There were plenty of Shannon slugs on that defense last year, and, not coincidentally, there were all the worst players busting the most assignments and giving up the biggest plays. This year's defense will be significantly better due to the talent and smarts upgrade with Al's guys all over the field swooping in on opposing ball carriers like a rabid ibis.

Go look at the games. Tell me how many big plays were the result of busts especially by guys like Highsmith and Rodgers.

Let me know the next time Pete Carroll regularly has DE's regularly matched up against wide receivers and running backs.

There were plenty of Shannon slugs on that defense last year, and, not coincidentally, there were all the worst players busting the most assignments and giving up the biggest plays. This year's defense will be significantly better due to the talent and smarts upgrade with Al's guys all over the field swooping in on opposing ball carriers like a rabid ibis.

Go look at the games. Tell me how many big plays were the result of busts especially by guys like Highsmith and Rodgers.

Exactly. Can you blame Al for Deon Bush's appendix rupturing? If Deon was available last year, we have a completely different defense.

Advertisement
You guys are forgetting Duke Johnson though. If we had Duke available, our offense would have put up 700 yards per game, had the ball for 45 minutes, and then our defense would have been elite.

We've finished 120th and 116th in total defense the past two seasons. Shayon Green was split out on slot WR's in coverage, and we're talking about philosophy?

Highsmith and Rodgers. Thats all need to ve remove and we will stop playing prevent. Bullshhh. Lots of teams play with massive liabilities and their coaches do a great job hiding their. Deficiencies by calling plays that rarely gets them isolated. We had good players looking terrible as well. Highsmith wasnt responsible for all those shallow crossing routes that were wide open all day. Stop lying to yourselves. I'd love if you guys are right. Saves my liquor some wear and tear but after 3 years its not simple as that. It's not. Good thing we play a good team right out....who has a new coaching staff btw and lots of player turnover. So I wanna hear how they are well stocked and system in place for years.

What exactly do we run on defense anyway? After 3 years I'm still confused as to what exactly is Golden's vision for this defense. Does he want to go to a pure 3-4? Are we going to be a hybrid? Once he has all his pieces in place will we be more of an attacking defense or remain passive and contain oriented? Are we going to be a 2 gap team or do what Pete Carroll did and play 1 gap generally with one guy playing 2 gap? Will we ever see more press man or bump and run or we be playing cover 3 mostly with the CB's bailing? Does anyone have any clear insight into this because the above video cleared up absolutely nothing for me.

+1. I have no idea either. AG's entire career as a defensive guy has been running the 3-4, and that's certainly what it seemed like he was trying to install here at first. But our official depth chart still lists positions as a 4-3 (e.g., 2 DTs instead of 1 NG). I have no clue

He said it pretty clearly in the beginning of the video. Were a 3-4 team that uses over and under fronts. The depth chart is listed like a 4-3 under which is just a 4-3 in name, it plays like and requires similar personnel to a 3-4, only difference being the "LEO" rush end has his hand in the ground instead of standing up like a traditional OLB. One DT is the nose, while the other DT (essentially the 3-4 DE) is tasked with beating more one on one blocks while the NT commands doubles. the strong side DE is the other 3-4 end, while the strong side LB is standing and is on the LoS.

The formation is just where you start off on the field, what happens after the ball is snapped is what determines the defense. This is a 3-4 defense all the way at this point.

Advertisement

Due to shoody shannon recruiting Golden had no choice but to play young and inexperienced players before they were ready and thus being more prone to busting assignments.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I refuse to believe that when the boundary corner lines up 9 yards off the ball and then proceeds to backpeddle an additional 6-7 yards after the snap, that it's a missed assignment.

I refuse to believe that when a player who should be rushing the passer (AQM for example) stands up last minute and flexes out in an attempt to cover a jitterbug receiver in the slot, that it's a missed assignment.

I could go on and on....but a big part of the problem is the schematics of this horribly conceived defense which takes bend but dont' break to another level. He can feed all the BS he wants but anyone with half a brain that knows anything about football knows this is a case where it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I refuse to believe that when the boundary corner lines up 9 yards off the ball and then proceeds to backpeddle an additional 6-7 yards after the snap, that it's a missed assignment.

I refuse to believe that when a player who should be rushing the passer (AQM for example) stands up last minute and flexes out in an attempt to cover a jitterbug receiver in the slot, that it's a missed assignment.

I could go on and on....but a big part of the problem is the schematics of this horribly conceived defense which takes bend but dont' break to another level. He can feed all the BS he wants but anyone with half a brain that knows anything about football knows this is a case where it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

it is so plainly obvious at this point that I sit in amazement of folks like KlanAlmighty, DerpU, and niner. they must be trolling

Advertisement
Back