Al Blades Jr.

Whether Blades leaves or stays, who gives AF right now, that's along ways away, he's here now, **** on here need to stop trying to act like they are the UM recruiting coordinators, we got db's, we good, so keep quiet and talk about the now, our db's have not been a problem since coach rumph got here. The problem now is the d-co not knowing WTF he's doing!

Advertisement
Whether Blades leaves or stays, who gives AF right now, that's along ways away, he's here now, **** on here need to stop trying to act like they are the UM recruiting coordinators, we got db's, we good, so keep quiet and talk about the now, our db's have not been a problem since coach rumph got here. The problem now is the d-co not knowing WTF he's doing!

It's a message board, you dope. If you don't like the topic stay out of the thread.

Players need to set concrete goals before the season starts. If they hit those goals they should leave.

As long as he receives a 1st or 2nd round grade from the advisory board he should leave. If he doesn't, he should stay.

Who has underachieved because of poor coaching here then then gone on to blow up in the the NFL?

I think you are asking the wrong question. Who has stayed to be coached up by Rumph and seen it pay off financially? Michael Jackson is a FA, never played a down for Dallas as a 5th round pick and active 1 game with Detroit on ST. Corn Elder is on a practice squad.

If the answer is to both of our questions is "nobody," I think that favors taking a shot at an NFL payday when you can instead of playing another year for free. Reasonable people can disagree on this.

ETA: I am not a Rumph hater. I think Miami could do better, but also could be worse off

Advertisement
The lack of urgency in CB recruiting is alarming.

We're gonna need at least one grad/JUCO transfer for next year.

I think you are asking the wrong question. Who has stayed to be coached up by Rumph and seen it pay off financially? Michael Jackson is a FA, never played a down for Dallas as a 5th round pick and active 1 game with Detroit on ST. Corn Elder is on a practice squad.

If the answer is to both of our questions is "nobody," I think that favors taking a shot at an NFL payday when you can instead of playing another year for free. Reasonable people can disagree on this.

ETA: I am not a Rumph hater. I think Miami could do better, but also could be worse off

Sam Shields played one pedestrian season at DB here and stuck in the league for a decade. Oliver Vernon was suspended half the time and Jimmy Graham played only one year. Both have made millions and performed at an NFL All Pro level.

It can be argued if the players you mentioned were true NFL talents they’d be playing on Sundays regardless, just like the guys mentioned above.

If anything Corn and MJ act as proof he can develop marginal next level guys into All ACC caliber players.

It can be argued if the players you mentioned were true NFL talents they’d be playing on Sundays regardless, just like the guys mentioned above.

If anything Corn and MJ act as proof he can develop marginal next level guys into All ACC caliber players.

I generally agree with you on this, I just have a different conclusion... If Al Blades is truly an NFL talent he will make it as an early draft entry or after a 4th year. If he is not, it won't matter that he stayed 4 years.

As a football team obviously Miami has to try and keep him around another year. I just think player development is a weak hand to play, when the alternative is to develop within an NFL organization (like Sam Shields, Olivier Vernon, and Jimmy Graham did).

Advertisement
I wouldn't be so quick to crown blades. He's not your typical cover corner. He might prove me wrong but I doubt it. Long speed big question mark but hey, he's playing well now given the circumstances. It would be better if he stayed.

Love me some Blades. We need one more of him. Also, where are the haters that claimed he can’t tackle?
76EAF254-DFBD-45BD-845C-20840957C9ED.jpeg

The leaving early issue frustrates me to no end. I don't understand how the staff (or any cfb staff) cannot get it through these kids' heads that they should only be leaving early if they are consensus early picks. Doesn't have to be round 1, but maybe round 3. Getting 1 or 2 good evals from "scouts" or agents is not worth a ****. They need to pay attention to the less-optimistic evals and really take into consideration which ones are more credible.

And to this day I rarely buy the "he had to leave because of his family's financial situation" excuse. If the kid and his family really had that in mind then they would make the decision that gave the kid the greater chance to actually help his family, which would be to stay, get more tape, and hopefully get a degree.

Diaz needs to convince a guy like Yearby, Boulware, or someone else to come back, talk to the team, and admit that they listened to the wrong people in making their decision. I just don't understand how these kids keep making the same mistakes year after year while watching their former teammates get screwed from doing the same thing.

Bandy leaving early was the biggest head scratcher for me. What a horrible decision. He didn't have a chance in **** of getting drafted highly and was desperately needed this year. He got some bad advice from someone. Jeff Thomas - I get. Its in his DNA to quit. So it really wasn't a surprise when he quit on us...again.

Advertisement
Perhaps we've been touting UM as NFLU too long. There will be exceptions but it leads to a mercenary mind set. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

@edge I've been down on Blades since he's come into the program. I said he'd be a good ST guy and thats about it. I still dont think hes physical and I've never seen him flash on the screen for a big hit or big tackle. Honestly if you can tell me where in our ACC highlights theres a Blades "play" I'll take it. That int was easy, the receiver waited, the QB locked on him. The Hawkins TD, Blades stays on the outside shoulder of the WR blocking him and never gets off the block.

HOWEVER, I did see at least 1 or 2 plays where the UL QB looked at Blades's side of the field and thought better of it.

I need more from Blades. At this point he's still JAG.

Advertisement
Unless there’s an injury or the season bottoms out for him he’s 100 % gone. Hopefully he’s thinking like that if he gets a third or fourth round grade. Maybe one day they’ll learn.
lessons learned from Byrce Hall. dip when you're hot

Al has been grading out great last year and this season. I just wish we’d run more press at the line rather than bailing at the snap. Which defeats the purpose of having big , physical corners. I know we don’t run much man and care about tackling but playing up tight then bailing is confusing. The positive of big corners is feeling and putting hands on wr. You can do that in cover 3.

Bandy leaving early was the biggest head scratcher for me. What a horrible decision. He didn't have a chance in **** of getting drafted highly and was desperately needed this year. He got some bad advice from someone. Jeff Thomas - I get. Its in his DNA to quit. So it really wasn't a surprise when he quit on us...again.
Bandy wasnt advised to leave. hes said it himself. he knew it was a risk but he had to take the chance for financial reasons. its easy from the outside to call a kid an idiot but youre not privy to some of the burdens these kids have to bare. I cant knock Bandy for making the jump if his family needed it financially

Al has been greasing out great last year and this season. I just wish we’d run more press at the line rather than bailing at the snap. Which defeats the purpose of having big , physical corners. I know we don’t run much man and care about tackling but playing up tight then bailing is confusing. The positive of big corners is feeling and putting hands on wr. You can do that in cover 3.
I dont get that either. id like to see all and DJ play tighter coverage. but I think its because our linebackers are always blitzing. could be wrong

Advertisement
Back