Adidas announce mulit-year deal with University of Washington

Nike got lazy because our program was in a terrible spot. They tried the rebrand in 2014 (in which we had arguably the best performance tech for practice at the time) and it wasn't enough. Neither party was benefitting from the partnership. Let's see where the chips fall at the end of the contract with Adidas.

So Nike got lazy when we were bad yet Adidas bends over backwards while we’re not any better. (7-6 last year) That speaks volumes of why we should stay with Adidas. If we win a ship with Adidas they’ll personally handmake a new uniform before ever practice

Advertisement
No doubt that winning will improve brand value but a company like Adidas is going to look at projected revenue and not whether we won the national championship or the Idaho Potato Bowl. We probably are much more elastic than other schools but schools like Alabama and LSU are going to generate more revenue because of their following. Atlanta is one of the most Canes friendly cities around and Alabama is probably represented 10 to 1. I for one care more about winning than having a brand that generates insane revenue.
I went on a Disney cruise 2 years ago and the ammount of bama and Clemson sht I saw was nauseating and I don’t get sea sick. Sec is gonna sec so it’s not surprising bama all over any southern city.
I spent time in Texas and California during the time we were winning and cane sht was everywhere.
There is a reason Miami was the first School. Nike signed.
If we win a natty and the gear is 🔥 we will sell a fck ton. Revenue makes admin very happy.
Alabama has some boring *** sht cause by definition they’re a conservative brand and they sell only cause they win.
Yes, I also care more about winning than revenue but Miami sht will sell all over the states and a lot will sell in Latin America. I remember people telling me they were seeing Miami heat gear all over Colombia and Argentina when they were winning.
They might love Alabama in the south, but people all over the world love the city of Miami.

I went on a Disney cruise 2 years ago and the ammount of bama and Clemson sht I saw was nauseating and I don’t get sea sick. Sec is gonna sec so it’s not surprising bama all over any southern city.
I spent time in Texas and California during the time we were winning and cane sht was everywhere.
If we win a natty and the gear is 🔥 we will sell a fck ton. Revenue makes admin very happy.
Alabama has some boring *** sht cause by definition they’re a conservative brand and they sell only cause they win.
Yes, I also care more about winning than revenue but Miami sht will sell all over the states and a lot will sell in Latin America. I remember people telling me they were seeing Miami heat gear all over Colombia and Argentina when they were winning.
They might love Alabama in the south, but people all over the world love the city of Miami.

Miami was a new brand and that was a different age of college football. I still don't believe we ever our produced Texas in apparel revenue.

Point being that if you are an apparel company you got to look at it this way. In what place would Miami need to average to clear 500 million in revenue over the next ten years and in what place would Alabama need to finish to do the same. Miami may need to average 3 whereas Alabama may just need to be a 25 team. Who would you give a 100 million dollar contract? Also, Alabama does not sell just because they win; instead they sell because that is all the state of Alabama has.

You have no objectivity re: Nike/Adidas because you are a Nike cultist.

I respect you as a poster on everything else, but on this topic, you’re one of those “Nike ‘til I die” guys. Which is ok, but doesn’t lend itself to looking at the situation objectively.

Peace

Lol; not a Nike cultist, but yes I’m pro Nike. I’m also pro New Balance & pro Asics.

I like our new unis (old school). Can it be improved? Yes. But, my beef was what we were promised; being Adidas’ flag ship school. We started strong, and Adidas will be good w me b/c they helped w our ability to buy out Golden....but I just don’t want what happened to Michigan, happen to us.

Again, they can help w recruiting (legally) w our recruiting by keeping us fresh on & off the field...and not no freggin recycled unis that have NEVER been our colors. Lol

Advertisement

This x 100

Miami was a new brand and that was a different age of college football. I still don't believe we ever our produced Texas in apparel revenue.

Point being that if you are an apparel company you got to look at it this way. In what place would Miami need to average to clear 500 million in revenue over the next ten years and in what place would Alabama need to finish to do the same. Miami may need to average 3 whereas Alabama may just need to be a 25 team. Who would you give a 100 million dollar contract? Also, Alabama does not sell just because they win; instead they sell because that is all the state of Alabama has.

Not true at all;

Bama was selling to fans. Bama is now selling nation wide b/c they are winning.

It’s no different than Bulls gear in the 90’s, Lakers gear in the 80’s, our gear in the 90’s, USC’s gear in the mid 2000’s.

Ppl LOVE being associated w winners and apparel companies like being associated w winners.

Not true at all;

Bama was selling to fans. Bama is now selling nation wide b/c they are winning.

It’s no different than Bulls gear in the 90’s, Lakers gear in the 80’s, our gear in the 90’s, USC’s gear in the mid 2000’s.

Ppl LOVE being associated w winners and apparel companies like being associated w winners.

This is exactly why I said we are more elastic. Bama has a tone of fans so winning might only increase their sales by 25%; whereas Miami's might increase by 50%. The problem of value is our value is much lower to begin with so Miami needs to be fully stretched (at the 50%); whereas Alabama only needs the support of their fans.

I certainly don't have data in front of me but companies like Adidas and Nike know what they are doing when offering money and there is a reason that really big schools that sell a lot of tickets tend to get bigger contracts.

Advertisement
Lol; not a Nike cultist, but yes I’m pro Nike. I’m also pro New Balance & pro Asics.

I like our new unis (old school). Can it be improved? Yes. But, my beef was what we were promised; being Adidas’ flag ship school. We started strong, and Adidas will be good w me b/c they helped w our ability to buy out Golden....but I just don’t want what happened to Michigan, happen to us.

Again, they can help w recruiting (legally) w our recruiting by keeping us fresh on & off the field...and not no freggin recycled unis that have NEVER been our colors. Lol

theyre parley and goes towards one of the biggest things UM has to offer as an academic institution...like those jerseys made a lot of sense for UM than most other programs considering rosenstiel. come on dude lol

Tell me where I’m wrong, fam. I’m fine to be told.

Our 2001 joints? Even our 2014 joints were super clean. I even f’d with w our 70’s throw backs that was given. But to ur point, Nike gave us some head scratching designs too. Some designs where I was like, oh Ray Charles must’ve got hired on the design team. Lol

theyre parley and goes towards one of the biggest things UM has to offer as an academic institution...like those jerseys made a lot of sense for UM than most other programs considering rosenstiel. come on dude lol

Not complaining about who we linked up w and the reason behind it; but we ain’t never been aqua blue and, I’m not sure u re-watched that game, but we did look like we had a semi plastic uni on.

Whatever the goal was; we f’d that thought up. Lol.

Advertisement
Nike got lazy because our program was in a terrible spot. They tried the rebrand in 2014 (in which we had arguably the best performance tech for practice at the time) and it wasn't enough. Neither party was benefitting from the partnership. Let's see where the chips fall at the end of the contract with Adidas.

This!

St John's just dropped UA to go back to Nike b/c of history and image. (Their words)
UW left Nike due to Nike's major emphasis on the Oregon schools. Honestly, U-dub will always be a school who does just enough for the PAC-12 only. Why Adidas is paying them more than us is offensive, honestly. We have a bigger brand, a cultural following, in the hotbed of recruiting, and we are considered a blue blood based upon our pedigree. I feel we are still not getting our respect, and bet money, UW will get drip.

It is Nike’s backyard and UW has actually won, or shared a NC — with us by the way. If I’m not mistaken they are the only PAC 12 team with football NC other than USC. I hate the ******** because they snapped our RIP streak, but at least it was a Cane who was their HC who made them something. Still we need to be paid more than them.

Not complaining about who we linked up w and the reason behind it; but we ain’t never been aqua blue and, I’m not sure u re-watched that game, but we did look like we had a semi plastic uni on.

Whatever the goal was; we f’d that thought up. Lol.

i was at the game lol. they werent as bad in person, but the beat down leads me to think that those should be burned forever. also, its for a game and an alternate design. they only wore it once which was enough (better than the second edition of the pro combat unis nike gave us after we had a clean first design)

Advertisement
A978BF04-D022-4FE9-9305-3BAE4CF42244.jpeg

With Nike you run the risk of looking this bad

Nike didn’t get lazy. Look around the nation. They provide poor designs to nearly anyone who allows them to mess with their uniforms. For us, everything after 2003 was trash. Everything. **** Nike. We aren’t dealing with them for a long, long, time.

All the virtue signaling about SJW issues these companies are doing is making their brand as ugly as their uniforms . . .

At the end of the day they're all the same, look at the first unis Adidas did for Miami, with that "Miami" across the front and that terrible font...reality is there are only so many "new" designs out there that's why you see a vast majority of schools with the same design.

Miami did what needed to be done to maximize their revenue.

Advertisement
Back