Adidas announce mulit-year deal with University of Washington

Advertisement
Advertisement
UW is getting more than us because they negotiated this year. If we negotiated this year, we'd be getting a lot more than them I'm sure. I believe us and Arizona St signed with Adidas right at about the same time and our deal is the more lucarative one.

But newer deals are always going to be worth more, that's how the industry works

Az St deal w/ Adidas was 8yr / $40m. Are you really comparing Az St w/ us? So we got, what, $2.5 more than them??? LOL. And by the time their contract ends, and we're still STUCK in our contract, they are going to get way more money b/c James Harden is the most important NBA player for Adidas and that's his alma mater.

The grass could always be greener. IMO, Adidas has done a great job reviving the brand and some of the marketing (after the feather jerseys) is excellent. They had their run recently with Kanye and some others but Nike is the best at what it does, Adidas isn't close to their level of tech and marketing money.

There's a reason they are the #1 apparel company in the world and it's not even close. Also, when I hear a school like St John's saying they are going back to Nike for image reasons, I'm just saying.

lol imagine asking for nike after we literally had dish rags as practice jerseys. never forget. its not about what brand you prefer, but what brand does more for the school and adidas has done more

lol imagine asking for nike after we literally had dish rags as practice jerseys. never forget. its not about what brand you prefer, but what brand does more for the school and adidas has done more

Nike got lazy because our program was in a terrible spot. They tried the rebrand in 2014 (in which we had arguably the best performance tech for practice at the time) and it wasn't enough. Neither party was benefitting from the partnership. Let's see where the chips fall at the end of the contract with Adidas.

Advertisement
Nike got lazy because our program was in a terrible spot. They tried the rebrand in 2014 (in which we had arguably the best performance tech for practice at the time) and it wasn't enough. Neither party was benefitting from the partnership. Let's see where the chips fall at the end of the contract with Adidas.

which is a good reason to move on.

As long as Adidas focuses on Futbol, no school will truly be their flagship. lol. But in all honestly, KU is their flagship, ESPECIALLY after KU was in deep chit due to Adidas funneling money to recruits. They are going to do whatever KU wants, including giving them that huge 14 yr / $14m contract they just extended to keep them happy.
No one in Kansas is ever a flagship. It’s demographics.

I'm more of a NMD, UB, YZY type of guy. Jordan brand never really matched my style.

Love those silhouettes but the sneaker blogs won't be writing about UBs much longer. When that Jordan 4 college pack for the players dropped in bowl season, people went nuts. Jordans just hold that kind of weight.

Advertisement
Naw, they won't. Adidas was a stop gap. The only reason why Nike broke off talks w/ us was b/c of Golden. As I told everyone back in 2014, keeping Golden beyond 14 was going to cause a domino effect in revenue, recruiting, and on field play for at least 3 years. Golden being retained after 14 gave Nike the indication that we weren't committed to winning. I had inside connections w/ this one. Plus Adidas almost got us caught up w/ the FBI probe. Regardless, I think Nike comes back w/ a bigger offer once our field play changes, just like they did w/ Michigan.
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I'd stay with Adidas unless they low ball us, Nike can DIAF. Nothing they did for us was remotely impressive from a design or product standpoint. They're like Apple for sports gear (and I'm a lifelong iPhone user).

Considering our brand, I think we got a really good deal with Adidas. Miami will never be worth as much as some larger schools, but you won't find a school similar size with a brand like Miami's.
Winning will put the U in a position to negotiate a mega deal.
The city and its image would be a designers dream that adidas has not taken full advantage of at all. Dyme life’s polos have better designs. We can get some of the dudes that make our edits to design better than those polos adidas has.
Larger school or not. Miami gear was being worn all over this country during our winning eras and I’m sure we were selling more gear than bama usc and LSU.

Honestly,

This is what was promised to us when we took the deal:
We were going to be their priority, their flagship school.

Do you feel like we're their flagship? B/c I don't.

I mentioned this, right before we signed the deal that Adidas, that they made that same promise to Michigan. It started off great, and then when Michigan didn't produce as they hoped, Adidas quickly forgot about them. Gear, drip, everything. Harbaugh came on board, Jordan Brand ponied up and now Michigan has one of the hottest re-sale shoes on the market, and Jordan went back to Michigan's true colors.

My fear was if Miami didn't produce, would be treated the same. The Parley, recycled unis were trash, legit. Not our colors, and now they'll be remembered for that time we got our *** handed to us. Adidas started off great, but the fact is we haven't been their priority. Their new priority will be U-Dub. Those Miami Nights jerseys haven't changed...they gave us their "best" jersey material, but them chits are not aesthetically sound, always coming off the shoulder pads and crooked as ****.

Anyways, we'll see how this relationship goes.
You have some really great points that I can't argue with. Them Miami Nights are trash to me. I thought the black Nike's we had a few years ago were dope. They do need to get with it this year. They need to rep #TNM. The baseball team has so many uni combos, shoes, hats, helmets. It's time for Adidas to get off their *** and produce some new gear for the football team.

Advertisement
Winning will put the U in a position to negotiate a mega deal.
The city and its image would be a designers dream that adidas has not taken full advantage of at all. Dyme life’s polos have better designs. We can get some of the dudes that make our edits to design better than those polos adidas has.
Larger school or not. Miami gear was being worn all over this country during our winning eras and I’m sure we were selling more gear than bama usc and LSU.

No doubt that winning will improve brand value but a company like Adidas is going to look at projected revenue and not whether we won the national championship or the Idaho Potato Bowl. We probably are much more elastic than other schools but schools like Alabama and LSU are going to generate more revenue because of their following. Atlanta is one of the most Canes friendly cities around and Alabama is probably represented 10 to 1. I for one care more about winning than having a brand that generates insane revenue.

You have some really great points that I can't argue with. Them Miami Nights are trash to me. I thought the black Nike's we had a few years ago were dope. They do need to get with it this year. They need to rep #TNM. The baseball team has so many uni combos, shoes, hats, helmets. It's time for Adidas to get off their *** and produce some new gear for the football team.

All I’m saying.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I'd stay with Adidas unless they low ball us, Nike can DIAF. Nothing they did for us was remotely impressive from a design or product standpoint. They're like Apple for sports gear (and I'm a lifelong iPhone user).

B.S Inday.

Honestly,

This is what was promised to us when we took the deal:
We were going to be their priority, their flagship school.

Do you feel like we're their flagship? B/c I don't.

I mentioned this, right before we signed the deal that Adidas, that they made that same promise to Michigan. It started off great, and then when Michigan didn't produce as they hoped, Adidas quickly forgot about them. Gear, drip, everything. Harbaugh came on board, Jordan Brand ponied up and now Michigan has one of the hottest re-sale shoes on the market, and Jordan went back to Michigan's true colors.

My fear was if Miami didn't produce, would be treated the same. The Parley, recycled unis were trash, legit. Not our colors, and now they'll be remembered for that time we got our *** handed to us. Adidas started off great, but the fact is we haven't been their priority. Their new priority will be U-Dub. Those Miami Nights jerseys haven't changed...they gave us their "best" jersey material, but them chits are not aesthetically sound, always coming off the shoulder pads and crooked as ****.

Anyways, we'll see how this relationship goes.

You have no objectivity re: Nike/Adidas because you are a Nike cultist.

I respect you as a poster on everything else, but on this topic, you’re one of those “Nike ‘til I die” guys. Which is ok, but doesn’t lend itself to looking at the situation objectively.

Peace

Advertisement
Back